PDA

View Full Version : Summerland woman attacked by coyotes

Lionhill
12-12-2013, 11:25 PM
http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton-S-Okanagan/104627/Summerland-woman-attacked-by-coyotes

Summerland woman attacked by coyotesby Deborah Pfeiffer (http://www.castanet.net/reporter/Deborah-Pfeiffer) - Story: 104627
Dec 12, 2013 / 4:53 pm

http://www.castanet.net/content/2013/12/photo-321_p2399879.jpgPhoto: Deborah Pfeiffer
Sarah James shows injuries sustained in attack

A Summerland woman was recovering Thursday, after being attacked by what are believed to be three coyotes, while walking on a popular trail Wednesday morning.
Sarah James was walking a friend's dog Rosie on the Summerland Centennial Trail when the three animals, a large one and two smaller ones, surrounded her.
Believing the small labradoodle to be in great danger, she immediately covered her with her body.
"My primary focus was Rosie, absolutely, unconditionally," she said. "I went into survival mode for her."
James said she first noticed the three animals when she was walking a larger dog, a labrador retreiver cross, earlier in the morning at the bird sanctuary off of Peach Orchard Road.
As they started to approach she yelled and they took off.
At around 10:30 a.m., she started a second walk with Rosie on the trail that runs parallel to Peach Orchard.
She was letting the dog run free and calling her back for treats, when the coyotes came out and surrounded her.
Two came from the side and one from behind.
http://www.castanet.net/content/2013/12/photo1_p2400234.jpgPhoto: Contributed

She undid her ski jacket and dove on top of the dog, covered her with her right hand and with her left hand swatted them away.
"Rosie was crying up a storm and the whole thing lasted about two to three minutes, although it felt like it lasted way longer," she said. "Then it went quiet, and they went away to the north side of the creek."
James waited about 30 seconds, comforting the small shaking dog, before picking her up and running down the trail.
As she ran down she ran into a man walking and warned him about the coyotes.
She also contacted her partner who let a friend who lives nearby know about the incident.
That friend, Manfred Wobst, ran up the trail to get James and Rosie.
"I just tore up there," said Wobst. "There was a man helping her already, and I saw Sarah had lots of defensive wounds on her hands and that her coat was ripped."
The dog's owners came and collected Rosie, who according to James was uninjured in the attack, while she recovered at Wobst's home.
Wobst said there is typically a lot of wildlife in the area. What is worrying to him is the coyotes went after a person.
"The fact that they attacked Sarah is the scary part," he said.
Sgt. Stephane Lacroix with the Summerland RCMP said a police report was filed on the incident. In the report it states, James sustained major scrapes and her coat was torn to shreds, but she did not require any treatment or ambulance at the scene.
He said additional patrols were made during the day and they then contacted a conservation officer.
"We were advised by the conservation officer there is an increased problem with coyotes in the Summerland area and the officer has a plan in place to deal with coyote issues," he said.
The conservation officer was not available to comment on Thursday, but James said a culling of the animals was planned because there are several dens in the area, and the animals don't have any natural predators.
The fact the animals are exhibiting pack behaviour is the danger, she added.
James, who had her left hand wrapped by a doctor and was on antibiotics on Thursday, said as a vegetarian and animal activist the culling is upsetting to her.
"We have blocked off their access in this area, so they are removed from the food chain," she said. "They are emaciated and sick and they then go for dogs, cats and children, anything small."
Still she realizes if the coyotes had gotten Rosie, they would have likely turned on her next.
"I have a huge amount of compassion for the coyotes as well, so I do feel badly about the cull," she said. "At the same time people in this area need to feel safe."

adriaticum
12-12-2013, 11:33 PM
To boldly go where no one has gone before. Where is them yoters?
Dogs are intelligent animals and if their density becomes high, it's only a matter of time before they form packs and start hunting together..

12-12-2013, 11:35 PM
BANG ! FLOP ..... Brave Girl, good on her for saving the dog. Good to hear she's OK too.

Another Hat for Big Boar, would even the score.

ct

Fella
12-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Love the inclusion of the "morally superior" vegetarian bit. Coyotes are the ultimate opportunists and can survive just fine in pretty much any environment.

guntech
12-12-2013, 11:46 PM
James said a culling of the animals was planned because there are several dens in the area, and the animals don't have any natural predators.

Well that's not quite true... man has always been a predator of coyotes...

Redneck Rocket
12-13-2013, 12:11 AM
I live south of Penticton. There's lots of coyotes around, and they most certainly travel in packs. The semi-urban deer population here is so high right now that I suspect the population is going to go up too. In our area, there were two does that both had twins this year, tons of babies around so I'm expecting a spike in population. Followed by cats disappearing and more attacks on other pets. I have 3 small dogs under 20lbs and like to walk them along the river. I always have my head on a swivel as I know the Yotes are around.

Big Lew
12-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Love the inclusion of the "morally superior" vegetarian bit. Coyotes are the ultimate opportunists and can survive just fine in pretty much any environment.

Yes, many vegetarians exude that "morally superior" attitude. People can reduce coyote populations, but like rats and starlings, it's pretty hard to totally exterminate them. There is a healthy population of coyotes throughout the Fraser Valley, including in Mission. Despite what some may think, a significant part of their diet is cats. I have often seen them packing cats, or parts of cats during the night. To bad my neighbours bring their fuzzy 'poop in my gardens' machines in at night.

Argali
12-13-2013, 10:09 AM
As a non-vegetarian and responsible hunter, my solution to the situation would have made culling redundant.

Sofa King
12-13-2013, 10:24 AM
again, another story sensationalized by the media.
the coyotes were going after the dogs, not attacking the woman.
she did many stupid things, which I'm very surprised that the media and enforcement officers didn't point out.
she should have never lowered herself to the ground.
she should have picked the little dog up and remained as large as possible.
she was out earlier walking a large dog and encountered the coyotes.
yet she then later went back out, again onto remote trail, and this time with a small dog.
and she then let this little dog off-leash to run free.
she did a lot of foolish things.
guess that's what a lack of meat in one's diet might lead to.
and if she's such an animal-lover and vegan(how that was a relevant tid-bit to the story I'm not sure) and now upset that they'll cull the coyotes, then why did she run to the media in the first place?
I wish the media would do more with these stories to actually better "inform" the public.
but then info doesn't really sell in the headlines I guess.

knighthunter
12-13-2013, 10:29 AM
2 smaller ones with a larger one isn't a pack in my opinion. If they know where the dens are, set up some 220's or 330's and don't let dogs run free, If a person has a dog on a leash, then carry a pointed walking stick or some means of protection.

Sofa King
12-13-2013, 10:37 AM
2 smaller ones with a larger one isn't a pack in my opinion. If they know where the dens are, set up some 220's and don't let dogs run free, If a person has a dog on a leash, then carry a walking stick or some means of protection.

exactly.
coyotes and wolves hunt that way regardless.
coyotes are usually moving about randomly throughout the day then as light fades, they locate each other and group-up at night.
this was a family of coyotes clearly, a mom with her two young, hardly a "pack".

and she encountered them earlier, yet went back out without even a stick?

Sofa King
12-13-2013, 10:39 AM
http://www.castanet.net/content/2013/12/photo-321_p2399879.jpg
the words attached to this say, "sarah james shows injuries sustained during attack".
really?
I see wrapped-up hands and a jacket with probably the dog's blood.
I want to see her injuries.

Fella
12-13-2013, 10:55 AM
What does she expect when she's bringing what amounts to an hor d'ouerves near a den site?

adriaticum
12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
again, another story sensationalized by the media.
the coyotes were going after the dogs, not attacking the woman.
she did many stupid things, which I'm very surprised that the media and enforcement officers didn't point out.
she should have never lowered herself to the ground.
she should have picked the little dog up and remained as large as possible.
she was out earlier walking a large dog and encountered the coyotes.
yet she then later went back out, again onto remote trail, and this time with a small dog.
and she then let this little dog off-leash to run free.
she did a lot of foolish things.
guess that's what a lack of meat in one's diet might lead to.
and if she's such an animal-lover and vegan(how that was a relevant tid-bit to the story I'm not sure) and now upset that they'll cull the coyotes, then why did she run to the media in the first place?
I wish the media would do more with these stories to actually better "inform" the public.
but then info doesn't really sell in the headlines I guess.

I don't think necessarily that this is sensationalized.
The media don't know coyote behavior and the fact that they went after the dog. The territorial behavior of dogs.
All they see is coyotes attacking and a woman with bite marks. That's probably how the title came to be.
In any case hey you are either a predator or you are prey, Jack!

olympia
12-13-2013, 12:15 PM
i can tell from her bandages those are deer bite marks

Singleshotneeded
12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Put out some chuck steaks and let's get coyote shooting! :-)

sawmill
12-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Hmmmm,vegetarian animal activist.
She should have just reasoned with the Yotes.
Next time bring some fruit and tofu for the poor starving things.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Castanet had been swimming in yote stories of late. This is the perfect chance to get something done about it....and she was the perfect person to get chomped-on.

SSS

abbyfireguy
12-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Extremely Boring!!

tracker
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
fishy vegan woman yuck ... no wonder the coyote stopped and ran !!

eastkoothunter
12-13-2013, 07:16 PM
CO went in and shot one today... They're starting a cull on them http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-104698-21-.htm#104698

Sofa King
12-13-2013, 07:27 PM
people are suggesting she was bitten.
she wasn't.
it now says "her injuries were defensive, which eliminates health concerns".
and that "her hand was injured during the incident".
nothing suggests her hands were injured by the coyotes.
she probably sprained her wrist hitting the ground or scratched herself on her zippers.

Mishka
12-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Castanet had been swimming in yote stories of late. This is the perfect chance to get something done about it....and she was the perfect person to get chomped-on.

SSS

That's the way I see it too. Who cares that the media might be sensationalizing her injuries, or whatever it is that some people were complaining about. The coyote population needs to be cut back.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-13-2013, 07:42 PM
That's the way I see it too. Who cares that the media might be sensationalizing her injuries, or whatever it is that some people were complaining about. The coyote population needs to be cut back.

CO Mr Beck was in there with the Foxpro today and nailed one of them. Keep it up Mr Beck!!

Sofa King
12-13-2013, 07:46 PM

so your fine with the media making shit up?
guess you like it when it's regarding something you are in favour of.
what if their next story is pro gun-control or banning sport hunting?
bet you'd not be so forgiving then.

Sofa King
12-13-2013, 07:48 PM
CO Mr Beck was in there with the Foxpro today and nailed one of them. Keep it up Mr Beck!!

wish they'd allow the odd hunter to help them out.
there's some pretty avid predator hunters that they could learn from.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-13-2013, 07:51 PM
wish they'd allow the odd hunter to help them out.
there's some pretty avid predator hunters that they could learn from.

Not familiar with the area. If they allow hunting in there(?) then guys with more time than our stressed CO's could easily help them out.

SSS

Mishka
12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
so your fine with the media making shit up?
guess you like it when it's regarding something you are in favour of.
what if their next story is pro gun-control or banning sport hunting?
bet you'd not be so forgiving then.

Try keeping it real okay. :roll: This is what media does, like it or not. This hill your choosing to battle over is pretty insignificant, you would be better off putting this energy into something that matters. - So the woman has a bunch of scratches instead of a gaping wound like the media wants to portrait. Yeah, no surprise.

mungojeerie
12-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Always the way... a vegetarian and an animal activist, feels bad but is fine to see animals die when it works for them. My cousin is the same way... she is a meat eater but she hates hunting and says it makes her sick that I can do that blah blah blah... but then the yotes try for her cat or eat a neighbors dog and she's all, "you need to come kill these things"... so hypocritical.