PDA

View Full Version : Silloet goose decoys

rides bike to work
12-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I am interested in getting into some goose hunting just starting out I'm aware decoys are key but of course budget is a factor. I plan on getting 6 life size to get started and being crafty I'm thinking about some silloets to fill in the gap a bit

just wondering if these work well and if so is there any rules to follow with the setup as I would imagine being flat they would be invisible from above
all tips will be greatly appreciated and rewarded

B-rad
12-12-2013, 11:35 AM
When u set up your spread,,,picture in your head the direction(aprox.)they will be coming in from,,,,put the full bodies out with decent space between them,,,fill the spaces in with the silhouettes,,,,,,,,slightly turned for the incoming birds,,,,,example,,,,,,in a U shape or V,,,,,1 silhouette ,1full body,,2 silhouette ,1 full body,,,,wished I could draw a pic to show u how I set mine up,,,works excellent

Foxton Gundogs
12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a couple of doz sills that I use to fill in the gaps in my spread and around the layouts. They work ok but as the season drags on and the geese get educated you find you have to pull out all stops and bare bones spreads don't always cut it. Welcome to the insanity have fun.

B-rad
12-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Lol,,,so true Foxton,,,,,half the battle is finding what works,,,,when u do figure out the kinks though,,,,GAME ON!!!!

Foxton Gundogs
12-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Lol,,,so true Foxton,,,,,half the battle is finding what works,,,,when u do figure out the kinks though,,,,GAME ON!!!!

Until they figure you out and it's back to squair 1 again lol Not sure how a pea size brain can keep outsmarting us but aint it fun

Ian F.
12-13-2013, 06:30 AM
I'll dig out some patterns for you later....pretty easy

TheProvider
12-13-2013, 10:47 AM
When I got into goose hunting I had already been hunting ducks for a season. My buddy had a pattern. We grabbed a few sheets of 1/4" underlay. A can of paint and some stakes. Couple hours in the garage, a few beer and we had 4 dozen silouettes. Already had 1.5 dozen shells and a dozen full bodies. Never had an issue. Each year we would add a couple more shells and full bodies. By the time I left Ontario we makn had full bodies and shells. Used about a dozen sillouettes as fillers.

Decoys are expensive so it can be intimidating to get into the sport unless you have a buddy with decoys. Making sillouttes is easy and cheap way to get into the sport. It may seem silly the first few times using them. But if you walk 100yrds away from your setup and walk back and fourth looking at it they look good.

Like mentioned though once birds have been shot at later on in the season you may have to switch things.

Ian F.
12-13-2013, 06:23 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/gooseheads_thumb.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/goosebody2_thumb.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/goosebody_thumb.jpg

buy brown chloroplast, mist of krypton khaki for the breast and sides, black and white and go....

killed plenty over sillies

ian

f350ps
12-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I've got dozens of Outlaw silhouettes with multiple poses, you're welcome to trace them if you like. K

Ian F.
12-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Forgot, welding rod cut in half, 2 per silliy