PDA

View Full Version : First deer

skuntor
12-11-2013, 09:43 PM
So this is my first year hunting and I had passed up a couple spring back bear and gotten skunked on about 3 deer trips so far. I had spent a lot of money on gas and decided to stay closer to home in region 2 for a December blacktail hunt. I made plans and headed out with another rookie buddy. Neither of us had either shot or seen an animal field dressed.

I was dressed to get out of the truck and hike in the rain. I had been a little bored my previous road hunt trips and ended up more sore from sitting in the truck all day than I would have hiking all day. The plan was to drive a little to get the lay of the land and then find a spot to start hiking. Once we are in the bush we drive about a half hour and I almost drive past a doe up a steep cut clock about 30 yards away. I stop and think maybe a buck will walk out. After about 30 seconds of watching the tree line I glance at the does and saw a spike. What an idiot... it's a little buck! I put the binos on it and confirm it's a 2pt (barely)!

Trying not to screw up this gift wrapped and broadside chunk of meat, I grab a round for the model 99 and slowly open my door with eyes on the buck. Looks at us and goes back to browsing. My feet are on the ground and butt is off the seat when I chamber a round and pull the gun up. One look in the scope triple confirms it's a buck. Safety off, aim behind shoulder and bang. I see it jump and a gush of blood spurt out as it tries to run.

He made about 20 yards before we see him pile up out of sight up the hill. I try to control my breathing as we stand and silently high five and wait a couple minutes but I know he's done. A nasty scramble up the hill and we see a thick blood trail and then him with antlers stuck in the ground. After a few hero shots we try try to get him down the hill. Good thing he was small because it's a nasty hill. I end up grabbing all four legs myself and just dragging him down.

As I said earlier, we are rookies here and I only where to start gutting it because of the internet and a book called Gut it Cut it Cook it. My buddy reads and shows me pics while I slowly start gutting this thing. It's slow, we stop and ponder, we flip pages, I cut some more... ends up going well and takes about 45 min. If I had to do another it would be way quicker. Going slow pays off as it's clean with all meat good to go. I figured I needed every ounce of meat off this bad boy!

Turns out the .300 had gone in behind one shoulder and out behind the other. Took out both lungs and the bottom third of the heart. We hang him up in a dry spot and start hiking looking for a shot for my buddy but saw nothing. I ended up loading him up and taking him to a buddies house to skin and hang overnight.

An unreal feeling to finally get some success. It was like everything fell into place perfectly. I'm not complaining that he was small... I hear they taste better!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/scottmh19/IMAG0017.jpg

r106
12-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Great job. He will be great eating

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/scottmh19/IMAG0017.jpg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/scottmh19/media/IMAG0017.jpg.html)

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Congrats! Good on you.

avadad
12-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Congratulations on your first buck! He will be tasty...

avadad
12-11-2013, 09:52 PM
BTW my first buck was shot with the an older version of the model 99 in 300 Savage. Way to kick it old school...

bigslim
12-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Way to go the first one is the hardest
Welcome to the obsession!!

604redneck
12-11-2013, 10:00 PM
good job on the first of many!

Big Lew
12-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Congrats! Great writeup. Can tell from your story just how excited you were on shooting your first buck and how delighted you were on a well-placed shot with no wasted meat. Another young fellow now hooked on hunting.:-D

Chopper
12-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Right on lol ... Get yourself some Viking caulked gum boots and put bama socks in them ... $200 investment , save your neck hiking for BT's ... let me tell ya !

redthorn
12-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Good Job. You will probably (and hopefully) shoot bigger deer but it will never be quite as exciting and unreal as the first time you take an animal. Savour it my friend.

two-feet
12-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Nice deer, nice rifle. I have taken ALL of my animals with a model 99

chris
12-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Congrats on the first deer. I remember standing side by side with my best hunting buddy watching 3 "does" feeding when all of a sudden he raised his rifle and pulled the trigger. Turned out while I was looking in the background for mr big he was looking closer at the 3 in the open and one of which was a spike. It pays to double check once in a while.

Mtn Wonderer
12-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Nice deer, way to get it done!!!! Close to home!!!

with classic 300 savage, one of the versatile Calibers!!!

coach
12-12-2013, 12:44 AM
What a great story. Awesome to think of you guys gutting your first deer while reading the instructions out of a book. :-D Congratulations on a tasty first buck. As someone so aptly stated above - welcome to the obsession!

Rich_D
12-12-2013, 01:12 AM
As I said earlier, we are rookies here and I only where to start gutting it because of the internet and a book called Gut it Cut it Cook it. My buddy reads and shows me pics while I slowly start gutting this thing. It's slow, we stop and ponder, we flip pages, I cut some more... ends up going well and takes about 45 min.

Did my first field dress solo with my S3 and a youtube video so I can relate.

Congrats.

Redneck Rocket
12-12-2013, 02:07 AM
Congrats! I bagged my first this year, was a rush, I know how you feel. Hope yours is as good eating as mine has been so far!

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Fantastic!

I commend yourself on enjoying the little Buck Skuntor. I'd have taken him, too! Enjoy the fruits of your time afeild Sir.

hunter1947
12-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Just what I got was a spike deer my first you got the monkey off your back things now on will only get better for you ,congrats getting this fine eating deer.

pnbrock
12-12-2013, 07:30 AM
very nice first,now your truly addicted!!

BiG Boar
12-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Congrats on your first animal. Many more to come. The first one is the hardest.

kennyj
12-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Congratulations on your first buck! A good eater for sure. Pretty exciting!
kenny

panhead
12-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Congrats ... I still get reprimanded from my "shared hunt partner" if I get a little dirt on the meat. Guess I deserve it though. Take your time and it pays off at the table. Enjoy ...

12-12-2013, 01:33 PM
lol that was a funny story, i can see it unfold.... Good on ya for just going and doing it... and not being afraid to mess it up!.... Flip pages and look at pictures! lol

Classic Rifle to be taking it with too!
Good work.

ElliotMoose
12-13-2013, 09:24 AM
I can picture this scenario in my head! Congrats on a fine eating animal and may it be the first of many

Carbonmatrix
12-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Great first buck! Tasty tasty

Deeboe
12-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Might be ur first deer but sounds like u have been writing stories for years! Haha congrats!

Josethesiningfish
12-15-2013, 02:03 AM
What a beautiful little specimen. Congratulation Skuntor. Hopefully Next year is my year.

Hillbros_96
12-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Congrats on your first animal and more to come.

skuntor
12-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Just had some BBQed chops from it and they were great. Wife and kids were happy too.