PDA

View Full Version : Feeding deer

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi guys,
with the deer season coming to a close (only 2 more days for me) I am starting to think about next season and thinking about feeding deer at a couple of spots away from roads to help them through the winter and see what comes out to feed on the tail cams.
Is there anything specific that deer like to eat available in the city?
I'm thinking while the bears are a sleep maybe carrots, apples and fruit would work and deer would get to eat them, but I'm not sure they will eat that. And also if that is valuable for them.
I don't think hay is a logistically doable for me and that's what I remember my uncle feeding deer in the winter.
Is there anything else that can be taken out on a hike that deer like to eat?

Thanks!

Andrewh
12-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Lots of feed options available to you, just check out ANY farm supply shop out in Langley and eastward into the valley. They have lots of grain options mixed with other nutritional supplements. Don't go for quantity but rather quality, the deer know what they are eating and if it is 'good' for them.

This will however require you to step away from HBC for a day though...:mrgreen:

hare_assassin
12-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd say apples and carrots are a good idea, and if you can manage to drag a salt block out there with the food, they'll soon grow to like the area. I've heard some people put oats and other grains out, too. Put a few different things out. Your trail cams will soon show you what they like.

hare_assassin
12-11-2013, 05:03 PM
This will however require you to step away from HBC for a day though...:mrgreen:

LOL. Quite droll. :D

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Lots of feed options available to you, just check out ANY farm supply shop out in Langley and eastward into the valley. They have lots of grain options mixed with other nutritional supplements. Don't go for quantity but rather quality, the deer know what they are eating and if it is 'good' for them.

Sounds good.
Lol, yes I only step away from the computer on the weekends when I'm in the bush :wink:

phoenix
12-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Try COB, my girls love it.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/DSC01563-1.jpg (http://s133.photobucket.com/user/elimsprint/media/DSC01563-1.jpg.html)

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I'd say apples and carrots are a good idea, and if you can manage to drag a salt block out there with the food, they'll soon grow to like the area. I've heard some people put oats and other grains out, too. Put a few different things out. Your trail cams will soon show you what they like.

The first thing I got when I googled deer feed :mrgreen:

http://workinglacys.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/larry-leg1.jpg

hare_assassin
12-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Whatever you choose, it might be wise to make sure it is something you would feel comfortable eating yourself. You may end up consuming it, indirectly, after all. :)

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Whatever you choose, it might be wise to make sure it is something you would feel comfortable eating yourself. You may end up consuming it, indirectly, after all. :)

Good point.
I think I'm going to start with grain.

DawsonCreedmoor
12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Rolled oats and a few square alfalfa bales and you'll be set. No need for anything else. A trick to make the grain last longer is pour it out then spread a bales over top of the grain. They will have to dig around for it a bit more, and won't just come in and pig out. Make them work for a it a little.

Sitkaspruce
12-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Whole Barley, Oats and Crushed sugar beets are what I heard works well, but I also seen canola, PB, Grape Koolaid and thta crap you buy in a sports store work, so take a pick and start with something you can afford and is easy to haul in. 50Lbs sacks of grain will soon get tiresome every week....

Cheers

SS

358mag
12-11-2013, 05:48 PM
FIY if you have any bears in the area they will find your oats-COB ,apples etc and you will have a hell of a time to get rid of them . Good Luck and enjoy your t-cam pictures .

2chodi
12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Whole barley:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fearv1a3boiskn1/whitetails.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAHfC4QoqTKylNakfA7IUpSGRUUFbHiHF7e7rjc 6nKqapA

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 06:00 PM
FIY if you have any bears in the area they will find your oats-COB ,apples etc and you will have a hell of a time to get rid of them . Good Luck and enjoy your t-cam pictures .

Yeah, that's the trick, feed them different things when bears are asleep from when they are awake. Otherwise bears would eat everything.

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Awesome, great info.
Found a store close by that sells grain.

kilometers
12-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Not to highjack.
So you are allowed to bait deer and wolves but not bears in all of BC?
I was told baiting deer was illegal.
and only recently found out about wolves. Thanks to HBC of course
http://i40.tinypic.com/1z53dcn.jpg

358mag
12-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah, that's the trick, feed them different things when bears are asleep from when they are awake. Otherwise bears would eat everything.

Yes indeed once the bears wake up, the games begin .

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Careful what you choose. This was discussed last yr and there are some things like alfalfa that will make deer sick. Their digestive systems can't handle certain things this time of year. They can die with bellies full of the wrong food.
I'll look for those studies that were posted.

SSS

Good2bCanadian
12-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Lots of deer sign on my cob until this guy showed up.
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/trail%20cam%20local%20july%202013/PICT0211_zpsa87c1bf4.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/trail%20cam%20local%20july%202013/PICT0211_zpsa87c1bf4.jpg.html)

.330 Dakota
12-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Ask for deer-mix at any feed store, there is actually a corn based mix for them. It has all kinds of goodies in it. I used this mix when I lived in Ontario and the deer love it. Had some monster whiteys in my back yard during the winter. I dont feed deer in BC as it attracts cougars.

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Not to highjack.

Yes, feeding/baiting deer is legal but not bear. I guess it's not baiting until the season begins.

bridger
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
We feed about 100 deer a year and use whole barley and whole oats. Works well as stone sheep steve says stay away from lots hay and alfalfa.. When deer get stressed they can't digest it.

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Careful what you choose. This was discussed last yr and there are some things like alfalfa that will make deer sick. Their digestive systems can't handle certain things this time of year. They can die with bellies full of the wrong food.
I'll look for those studies that were posted.

SSS

Thanks S3, Good to know!
If I remember correctly too much of green alfalfa will make cattle sick as well.
It easier for me to haul grain where I'm planning to go anyway.

knighthunter
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Back when I lived in Manitoba, during the tough winters I fed lots of deer on my acreage. At times their would be up to 30 deer at my feeders. I found that if I put out a pile of wheat and a pile of oats side by side, they would clean up the wheat and not touch the oats. I also fed them square bales of alfalfa, they would eat the leaves off and leave the stems & stalks behind. During one real tough winter, there was a lot of people feeding deer and the conservation dept was supplying square alfalfa bales.

r106
12-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Not to highjack.

You can bait everything but bears

phoenix
12-11-2013, 10:05 PM
interesting read http://www.novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/Feed-deer.asp
Kim

604redneck
12-11-2013, 10:10 PM
What To Feed:
Natural winter food for deer consists primarily of woody browse from hardwood twigs and occasionally needles of balsam fir. The most preferred browse species include: sugar, red, mountain and striped maple; yellow and white birch, witch and beaked hazel and red oak.
Deer have problems with many diets that livestock consume easily. Deer depend on a variety of bacteria and microorganisms in their rumen (stomach) to break down food. A change in diet requires a change in the population of these microorganisms to process the new food properly. Other problems such as "acidosis" (excess acid buildup in the rumen) and scours (diarrhea) may occur if they are given cereal grains. It is therefore important to gradually introduce artificial feed in an area where natural food is also available.
1. Natural Food. If possible, it is best to feed natural food. To do this, cut down a few of the preferred hardwood trees mentioned above. Again, make a number of trails from the new feed to their cover area. Check these trees every few days and turn them so all the branches can be used. The number of trees needed and when to provide more will depend on how many deer there are in the area. In the spring/summer, you can return and cut the same trees for firewood. By doing this you are not only immediately providing food to the deer, but over the next few years a large number of suckers will grow from the stumps and other shrubs and saplings will grow in the clearing you have created. Both short term and long term feeding is accomplished.
2. Deer Pellets. Most farm feed outlets carry a specially formulated ration for deer or can tell you where it can be bought. This feed is specially formulated for deer with consideration of their energy, protein and fiber needs, as well as digestibility. At first deer may not recognize these pellets as food but if introduced with small amounts of corn, oats or alfalfa, they will gradually become accustomed to the new food.
3. Cereal Grains. Although not as well balanced a diet as Deer Pellets, rolled oats or coarsely milled oats are easily digested and reduce the possibility of problems associated with a sudden diet change. Whole corn and whole oats can also be used and are often readily available. A ratio of 1:1 to 1:4 corn:oats is recommended.
Avoid feeding pure corn, barley or wheat as they are too high in starch and may cause digestive problems leading to death.
As with pellets, these foods can be placed in handful amounts on well packed snow� preferably under conifer trees to prevent being covered with snow. Once the deer have become accustomed to this type of feed, it can be delivered by laying feed bags on the ground and cutting a large panel out on the top side. This will keep the feed together and off the ground, reducing waste. Hoppers like those used to feed domestic cattle or sheep, may also be used.
4. Hay or Alfalfa. Caution should be used when feeding hay or alfalfa as deer (especially when in starved condition) may have problems digesting them. Introduce this feed gradually and ensure natural foods are also available.
5. Fruit & Vegetables. Although deer will eat apples, carrots, cabbage, etc., their use is not recommended. They are like candy to a child� tasty but of little value in providing a well-balanced and nutritious diet.
As can be seen, feeding is not just a matter of throwing a few bread crusts off the back porch. If you want to feed deer effectively (to their benefit) ensure you do it properly with the energy and resources to continue until the end of winter.

604redneck
12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
hahaha i just read the same thing kim. Just copy and pasted the feeding part but it is an interesting read lots of good info!

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
interesting read http://www.novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/Feed-deer.asp
Kim

Very good read and some great questions answered.

phoenix
12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
hahaha i just read the same thing kim. Just copy and pasted the feeding part but it is an interesting read lots of good info!
I had it bookmarked, I just couldn't remember where, lol.
Kim

brian
12-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Just keep in mind that their stomach bacteria changes in winter to handle their natural winter foods, a sudden shift to more nutrient dense summer type foods can make them sick and throw their digestion out of whack.

phoenix
12-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I think I'll get some alfalfa tomorrow as the COB is bankrupting me, haha. 23 deer laying in the front yard this morning waiting for breakfast. I had to feed them before I went coyote hunting:)
Kim

phoenix
12-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Just keep in mind that their stomach bacteria changes in winter to handle their natural winter foods, a sudden shift to more nutrient dense summer type foods can make them sick and throw their digestion out of whack.
Mine have been getting COB since November and they get lots of alfalfa from the ranches all over the hill so they are fairly used to it but I will introduce it slowly.
Kim

shelg
12-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Cob mix with molasses. Granulated cobalt salt. Apple Chaff in large pellet form. It all works. It is about $30 bucks but it will run 3 cameras for 3-4 weeks.

CaribooBC
12-11-2013, 11:17 PM
I sell feed, quite a few people are feeding COB up here.

hunter1947
12-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Hi guys,
with the deer season coming to a close (only 2 more days for me) I am starting to think about next season and thinking about feeding deer at a couple of spots away from roads to help them through the winter and see what comes out to feed on the tail cams.
Is there anything specific that deer like to eat available in the city?
I'm thinking while the bears are a sleep maybe carrots, apples and fruit would work and deer would get to eat them, but I'm not sure they will eat that. And also if that is valuable for them.
I don't think hay is a logistically doable for me and that's what I remember my uncle feeding deer in the winter.
Is there anything else that can be taken out on a hike that deer like to eat?

Thanks!

I use barley,wheat,corn mix the deer love this mix pick it up at any feed store in your area it coasts 12 bucks for a 50 pound bag keep in mind that there is laws out there within the city limits that say you can't feed deer in city limits its against the law....

Ian F.
12-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Keep in mind where you live, most of the deer deeding/supplementation you'll read is about deer in true winter conditions, that is covered in nanowire and cold for a long time. Your info says surrey, lml and a good part of vi do not have winter conditions and those deer will never be in winter mode, so your choices and methods will be quite different. Many lifetimes ago I did deer yard (read wintering areas) work in Ontario, what applies in those places doesn't apply where it's green year round.

Deer won't shoulder to shoulder like cattle, you need to spread it around in piles and remember the birds and squirrels will love you!

very best,

Ian

adriaticum
12-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Keep in mind where you live, most of the deer deeding/supplementation you'll read is about deer in true winter conditions, that is covered in nanowire and cold for a long time. Your info says surrey, lml and a good part of vi do not have winter conditions and those deer will never be in winter mode, so your choices and methods will be quite different. Many lifetimes ago I did deer yard (read wintering areas) work in Ontario, what applies in those places doesn't apply where it's green year round.

Deer won't shoulder to shoulder like cattle, you need to spread it around in piles and remember the birds and squirrels will love you!

very best,

Ian

Excellent point. I will be spreading it in several spots in thick bush. Squirrels are definitely abundant.

IronNoggin
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Try COB

Times Ten! :wink:

One of the ranchers whose place we bait over the year refers to the feeding areas as the "Deer Crack Houses".
And it Very Much is! Quite often the truck doesn't even get out of the field before they are slinking out of the bush to gobble up the goodies.

Cheers,
Nog

rides bike to work
12-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Here's my experience feedinv in the Lowermainland

i put out piles of cob alfalfa and apples in oct November they loved the apples and came back for more but didn't touch the cob or alfalfa.
In late nov I switched to just cob and alfalfa. The rats or mice ate up the cob wich brought in a bob cat still nothing on the alfalfa. I got rid of the cob because to many crows setting off the camera. Wich left me with alfalfa but the deer never did take if not sure if they had moved out of the area or they just don't like it. I'm experimenting again this year and will see how it goes.
I did put salt out in Princeton in late April and got deer elk moose and bear picks till June though very cool.and lots learned

knighthunter
12-12-2013, 01:20 PM
These feeding area's also make a dandy localized area to find shed antler's in the spring.

Seeker
12-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Any suggestions on how to keep cattle away come summer time? In our neck of the woods, we have, to my dismay, a LOT of free range cows.

knighthunter
12-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Any suggestions on how to keep cattle away come summer time? In our neck of the woods, we have, to my dismay, a LOT of free range cows.

You don't feed the deer during the summer month's. As soon as it starts to green-up in the spring, stop putting out feed.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-13-2013, 07:46 PM

Barb wire?? Deer can jump. Cattle...not so much.

Remmy
12-13-2013, 07:57 PM
https://wildlife.utah.gov/deer-winter-feeding.html

bubba350
12-13-2013, 08:41 PM
I get thousands of pics using acorn rage. They love that stuff. I buy it out of the states (amazon, cabelas)

phoenix
12-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Barb wire?? Deer can jump. Cattle...not so much.
They clear the fences here just fine, stinking bovine bas**rds. I've given up on food plots because as soon as the cattle go on the range next door they are over the fence and in the plots. I've seen them clear the fences no problem with my dogs hot on their heels and the fences aren't broken so they probably jumped them coming in also. They wade right through electric fencing, they don't even bother jumping it.
Kim

horshur
12-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't think you should feed....one of the locals here feeds and his neighbours hate it for when you draw deer you also draw the predators....your neighbours are not gonna like the big cats pussy footing around there homes or ambushing rover while out for a walk.....

adriaticum
12-13-2013, 10:23 PM
I don't think you should feed....one of the locals here feeds and his neighbours hate it for when you draw deer you also draw the predators....your neighbours are not gonna like the big cats pussy footing around there homes or ambushing rover while out for a walk.....

I am going pretty far from any urban area. Urban deer already have enough munchies i'm sure.

phoenix
12-13-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't know where you live but I already have predators and getting to shoot a few more isn't going to upset me at all:) And as for the neighbours, they chose to live in the country, they can deal with it.
Kim

12-14-2013, 12:15 AM
FYI

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/info/wildlife_human_interaction/ungulate-feeding-june8th.pdf

aggiehunter
12-14-2013, 10:42 AM
we find that using bait stations brings a set of problems to deer also...in the Ek we have quite a few pics of cougars sleeping in the hay...so as the deer become programmed to the bait station so do the predators..this year....grizzlies...so keeping it up during the winter may in fact reduce your deer population in that area....just an observation...cracked corn seems to be a good product and reasonably priced.