PDA

View Full Version : gear review sheep hunting

Dutch Ppoacher
12-11-2013, 03:54 PM
found this video while watching sheep hunting videos and thought it was an honest report of some on some of the big hype items we hunters keep hearing about

enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfB6bPfUTo

DP

Weatherby Fan
12-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Thats what a guy likes to see, good honest opinions of gear while the guys are sitting on the hill using the stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Iltasyuko
12-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Not sure why so many people look at buying hunting specific clothing from brands like Sitka etc. when companies like arcteryx have way more experience in mountain gear and have been at it far longer. Must be the fixation with camo. Go figure.

warnniklz
12-11-2013, 07:06 PM
^--- with you on that one

BiG Boar
12-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Camo sells, and is popular with the main crowd now, Arcteryx should figure this out.

bighornbob
12-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Not sure why so many people look at buying hunting specific clothing from brands like Sitka etc. when companies like arcteryx have way more experience in mountain gear and have been at it far longer. Must be the fixation with camo. Go figure.

Maybe they like to spend their whole paycheck on a pair of pants and a shirt!! Oh wait they could also get a beenie thrown in too:):):)

BHB

E.V.B.H.
12-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Maybe they like to spend their whole paycheck on a pair of pants and a shirt!! Oh wait they could also get a beenie thrown in too:):):)

BHB

Its certainly not any cheaper! But a lot of it is better.

keoke
12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Rather wear blue jeans than spend my money on yuppy mountain clothes

Dutch Ppoacher
12-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Camo sells, and is popular with the main crowd now, Arcteryx should figure this out.
They have for two or three yrs! Here you go!
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Alpha-Parka-MultiCam#
what you spend on a full set up I can travel all the way to the sheep hunting grounds!
make sure you post a review!
Dp

yama49
12-12-2013, 11:56 AM
They have for two or three yrs! Here you go!
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Alpha-Parka-MultiCam#
what you spend on a full set up I can travel all the way to the sheep hunting grounds!
make sure you post a review!
Dp

There prices are out to lunch

adriaticum
12-12-2013, 12:09 PM
$850 on a jacket, not my cup of cinnamon.
Mark's Work Warehouse rocks. You get a 10% BCWF discount too.
If you want waterproof, buy what the construction guys wear on the job.

Chopper
12-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Not sure why they were not running Sitka " DOWN POUR " for there outer layer. other than that if my under layers don't have any wool in them they are not coming ... that simple. There is NO WAY to stay dry when hiking in bad weather. You will at the very lest sweat so you might as well be warm.

Other than that ... I wouldn't touch any of the gear they were using. I hear the Kenetreks are good , Ive decided to stick with Miendl

Wrayzer
01-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Ive been researching all winter for outerwear for next season and I mirror the same thoughts. Ive been looking more into the Arcteryx, Helly Hansen, Columbia etc in Solid colours. They have proven themselves over there years.

The allure of Camo patterns must have a lot to do with it..

BigSlapper
01-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I have the Arcteryx Alpha jacket in solid (Forest) because I thought I "absolutely needed it"! A very technical jacket (no doubt it is nice) that is incredibly lightweight, fits well and seemingly moves well. As advertised, it keeps you dry. The down side for the $700.00 smackers you spend - it is a wee bit noisy and believe it or not, does not breath as well as I thought it would (or as advertised IMHO). Invariably I find myself wandering back, time and again, to my gear room and pulling out the stretchy, light and bone dry Helly Impertech rain gear .... $200 for the set (5 years old and still working flawlessly) ... it just plain works. I have a room full of Sitka's latest ... but recently have been going back to the wool and realizing it sure feels good.

Mathil
01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
I have the downpour gear. The flocked face fabric, when wetted out, obviously impairs the gore laminates ability to breathe. For any actual movement in the rain, a gore active or packlite she'll will serve better, since the outer fabric sheds water better. The trade off is that it's much noisier than the flock lined downpour gear.

Downpour is absolutely excellent for light movement and sitting still. Heavy hiking, even with just a wicking undershirt on, you're going to sweat up. Stormfront lite would be better for hiking, and that's what it's made for.