PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 this morning Rant!!! SCOPED

Mtn Wonderer
12-11-2013, 01:38 PM
This morning I went out for a little hunt with my wife up the mountain behind our place we
were coming out of the timber into a cut and saw a Red Dodge Dakota truck parked down on the logging road.

So I pulled out the Bino's and had look to see what there up to
three guys, one had rifle and was looking around.
We were about 250 yards away as I am walking
down through the cut to the landing, I look again.

The guy is looking right at me though the gun, so I holler, with in a minute the three
guys were in the truck and gone.

Now I know this is region two so your usually going to see people hunting I'm OK with that but
I am not OKAY with being Target!!!!

They left so fast one of them left a half full hot coffee in the snow on a side bank of the road.
I think they were going to start shooting at it, my wife carried your garbage out.

Good thing she didn't catch up with you, she was pissed!!!!!

DO US all a favour and Ask santa for some binos and if you already have them, start using them!!!!!!

If you know these guys get them some BINOS Please

Come on guys, get a brain!!!!

MTN W.

deer nut
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Best advice I ever received was never to hunt with someone who has scoped rifle but no binoculars! Not a good feeling to be scoped!

whitetail assasin
12-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I have a rule that I won't hunt with anyone who does not have bino's ...just my rule that way one of my hunting party never takes the look through the scope... If they glass through the scope just to see what's out their I drop them and don't hunt with them again...safety is the key with me....no exceptions

Ltbullken
12-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Report it. They may still be out there. The CO's can have a chat with them. It is illegal to point a firearm under the CCC.

Ltbullken
12-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Best advice I ever received was never to hunt with someone who has scoped rifle but no binoculars! Not a good feeling to be scoped!

Good advice!

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Maybe they are poachers. Why would they run off so quickly.

Mtn Wonderer
12-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Good rules , Binos should be part of the necessary hunting equipment if your hunting with a scoped rifle,
it just makes sense.

I doubt poachers.

Maybe they saw my wife with her hair on fire, she was about to start booking down the road!!! LOL!!!

I am sure they were just some young guys looking for a deer at the end of the season , and because they were bored they were going to blow the shit out of the
Timmy's cup for kicks.

There is new logging in the area which is okay with me, but it has opened up the country and I imagine the place will
turn in to a dump once summer rolls around and the traffic gets busy around here.
With that in mind I hope that some sort of de-activation is in the works after they light the burn piles up.

MTNW

Rich_D
12-11-2013, 04:18 PM
It is illegal to point a firearm under the CCC.

It is certainly not illegal to use your scope as a "vision enhancer" while hunting. Stupid? Yes, but not illegal.

From CCC:

87. Pointing a firearm

87. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

I believe the above scenario would fall under "Lawful Excuse"

kako99
12-11-2013, 04:18 PM
These things get my blood boiling!!!

howa1500
12-11-2013, 04:36 PM
It is certainly not illegal to use your scope as a "vision enhancer" while hunting. Stupid? Yes, but not illegal.

From CCC:

87. Pointing a firearm

87. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

Totally agreed

hare_assassin
12-11-2013, 04:44 PM

From CCC:

87. Pointing a firearm

I disagree completely. "Too lazy to use binos" is no excuse for pointing a gun at someone.

Terrier Blades
12-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Happened to me several times.... just note the license plate # and phone the CO's, they love that kind of SH....

it's very bad ethics anyway and if the scoped one would be an Anti hunting group, the news would be full of it.....not good

Anyway, don't forget Terrier Blades still has the HBC discount coupon on.......

btridge
12-11-2013, 06:12 PM

From CCC:

87. Pointing a firearm

Hunting IS NOT A LAWFUL EXCUSE to point a firearm at someone...when you or someone close to you gets shot by one of these idiots, I bet you change your tune....and the judge will not think it's legal either...

Rich_D
12-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Hunting IS NOT A LAWFUL EXCUSE to point a firearm at someone...when you or someone close to you gets shot by one of these idiots, I bet you change your tune....

Here's a scenario:

Guy has no bino's, is using his scope to glass a cut block, someone walks into the cut block from the other end.

He should now be charged?

I did, in no way, condone the use of a scope in place of bino's. The poster stated that it was illegal to do so when it is in fact not illegal to do so but IS extremely stupid to do so.

You read far more into my post than was intended.

btridge
12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
it's a crime even if you do it without malace or forthought...is it enforced without an incident, no, but it doesn't make it legal.

Wade
12-11-2013, 06:30 PM
This morning I went out for a little hunt with my wife up the mountain behind our place we
were coming out of the timber into a cut and saw a Red Dodge Dakota truck parked down on the logging road.

So I pulled out the Bino's and had look to see what there up to
three guys, one had rifle and was looking around.
We were about 250 yards away as I am walking
down through the cut to the landing, I look again.

The guy is looking right at me though the gun, so I holler, with in a minute the three
guys were in the truck and gone.

Now I know this is region two so your usually going to see people hunting I'm OK with that but
I am not OKAY with being Target!!!!

They left so fast one of them left a half full hot coffee in the snow on a side bank of the road.
I think they were going to start shooting at it, my wife carried your garbage out.

Good thing she didn't catch up with you, she was pissed!!!!!

DO US all a favour and Ask santa for some binos and if you already have them, start using them!!!!!!

If you know these guys get them some BINOS Please

Come on guys, get a brain!!!!

MTN W.
Maybe they did have binos?? It's a good thing you hollered when you did. If he's that careless he might have shot you.

Blainer
12-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Binnoculars are the most important tool in your arsenal, in my opinion.
I can't see them being very successful hunters.
Optics are of extreme importants in finding success.

Johnfones
12-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Don't hunt without binos unless your bow hunting or timber cruising. Even then. Go buy a pai of binos. Our hunting pack shouldn't exclude binos

sallovesbeer
12-11-2013, 07:13 PM

From CCC:

87. Pointing a firearm

I highly doubt that could be used as an excuse to point a firearm at anyone. A lawful excuse would probably fall under self defence, not one's lack of foresight to have a set of binos when hunting. The first thing they teach you at the firearms safety course is that you NEVER point a firearm at another person, period.

landphil
12-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Here's a scenario:

Guy has no bino's, is using his scope to glass a cut block, someone walks into the cut block from the other end.

He should now be charged?

I did, in no way, condone the use of a scope in place of bino's. The poster stated that it was illegal to do so when it is in fact not illegal to do so but IS extremely stupid to do so.

You read far more into my post than was intended.

Ignorance is no excuse. I agree with the extremely stupid part though, it really doesn't matter WHY one should never do this, the fact remains, it's a practice that should NEVER be done.

troutseeker
12-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Good luck getting charge approval in BC for pointing a firearm. The code say pointing a firearm at someone, not in the general direction of someone. Simple defense is: I was pointing my firearm at a stump, not at that person who was hollering at me. Unless you had a laser dot on your chest, good luck proving otherwise...

It's still not cool.

brian
12-11-2013, 10:53 PM

From CCC:

87. Pointing a firearm

lawful excuse = a reason that is supported by law

It is pretty clear that pointing a firearm at someone is illegal. If your lawful excuse is that you are hunting (a lawful activity given the right permits blah blah blah) then you could argue that whereas hunting deer/bear/grouse is legal, hunting people is for some odd reason illegal. Therefor pointing a firearm at another person while hunting would probably still be illegal. The onus is on you to verify your target before you point your firearm. Which just makes good common sense.

Chopper
12-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Ive been scoped ... not a good feeling. Make a report !

IslandmanDan
12-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Binnoculars are the most important tool in your arsenal, in my opinion.
I can't see them being very successful hunters.
Optics are of extreme importants in finding success.
Absolutely!

treehugger
12-11-2013, 11:40 PM
A good thing your wife was with you and not armed on another ridge noticing another hunter pointing their gun at you... she could've felt protective.
... That's how our core instructor broke it down for us

Drillbit
12-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Look in my general direction with a scope all you want. Shooting is a different story.

Mtn Wonderer
12-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I put this post up as an awareness message, it's the first time I have ever put the binos on another hunter or shooter and the gun was pointing my way, I've been hunting for 35 years. I have probably been scoped before
but never knew it.

Binos are my most used asset when hunting other than my boots.

I have glassed many a hunter to wave at long distance and never meet up with them face
to face. With binos you can get an idea how and where there hunting and modify your course so you can give each other Maximum use of the land available. I always hunt on foot. I don't see any reason to run back to the
truck if I see another hunter.

Binos have accounted for more then 50% of the game I have put on the table over the years.

If I had more info and could have made out a lic plate # I may have called it in.
Too bad I didn't have my spotter with me, however like I said once I hollered they were out of there.

I live in the Chilliwack area and I think we have a large number of unethical backcountry users
visiting our local mountains, it pains me to see the garbage and waste people leave behind.

The road I was near not to long ago was closed, due to all hours use and evidence of automatic weapons use.
recently they have reopened the road which is fine I just wish the users had better back country ethics.

MTNW

Mtn Wonderer
12-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Look in my general direction with a scope all you want. Shooting is a different story.

You have got to be kidding, right!!!!

BiG Boar
12-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Good thing he had a scope! If he just had open sights he may have just shot when he saw movement!

Walksalot
12-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Been there, not fun, scared the crap out of me. Won't hunt with anyone who doesn't make binoculars part of his/her field equipment. I shudder when I see hunters who do not have binoculars around their neck.

r106
12-12-2013, 09:00 AM

So you are ok with someone you don't know pointing a loaded firearm at you?

I'm not, it would take everything in me to not loose it on the guy. Last time I checked ignorance and/or stupidity are not excuses for pointing a gun at somebody accident or not. A scope is not for glassing it is a sight for a gun

BigfishCanada
12-12-2013, 09:03 AM
It happened to me in Princeton once, was on a hillside and saw 3 guys get out of a truck and start scoping my hill, i was fingering him as i see him quickly put his rifle down. Saw him later that day and told him to f off, i should have reported it but didn't. Next time i would get plate # and report

quaint bucket
12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Been there, not fun, scared the crap out of me. Won't hunt with anyone who doesn't make binoculars part of his/her field equipment. I shudder when I see hunters who do not have binoculars around their neck.

I don't carry my binoculars around my neck when I'm walking in the brush (no point). Once I get into an opening, it takes me like 30 seconds to grab it out of my pack. Sorry if I made you shudder? :confused:

Foxtail
12-12-2013, 09:42 AM
I bow hunt 90% of the time and my binos are always around my neck. And I am always walking. If your binos are in your pack they aren't much use. 30 seconds is a long time. An animal can easily wander off in that time.

Ltbullken
12-12-2013, 11:19 AM

From CCC:

87. Pointing a firearm

Disagree. There is no lawful excuse to deliebrately point a firearm at someone. Scoping is pointing a firearm at someone and it is debatable that it is lawful. Anyone know the precedents in the CCC around parameters on what it considers lawful pointing? There is also careless use of a firearm. The point is that we all agree that it is improper behaviour and any threat or tool that encourages safe use of a firearm is fair game. A CO having a chat about the potential for charges to guys in a red Dakota might be enough to rattle them into proper behaviour.

GotaGun
12-12-2013, 11:31 AM
My 2 cents:
He looked through his Binos saw a legal animal where you where standing , put bino's down picked up gun to shoot just as u walked in!!!!!

Other wise no excuse to look through scope,

Walksalot
12-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't carry my binoculars around my neck when I'm walking in the brush (no point). Once I get into an opening, it takes me like 30 seconds to grab it out of my pack. Sorry if I made you shudder? :confused:

WOW!!! When I am in the bush is when I need my binoculars the most. Most of my animals have been shot with my pack on, in the bush and in close proximity. I would venture a guess that most of the animals I have shot in 40+ years of hunting have been at 50 yds or less. To take off the pack and dig out my binoculars is way to much movement and noise. If you saw a mule deer buck in the bush in 4 point or better season how do you determine how many points it has. I suppose you don't put a cartridge in the chamber until you come to an opening. If you saw a whitetail deer ghosting through the bush how do you determine if it is a buck or doe. If you are digging out your binoculars all you will see is "pink eye". If you see movement in the bush the rule of thumb is to automatically assume it is another hunter until you can positively identify it is an animal. How do you accomplish this? PLEASE, CARRY YOU BINOCULARS AROUND YOU NECK WHEN IN HUNTING SITUATIONS OUTSIDE YOUR TRUCK. It will save me from having to clean out my bloomers after I see you looking at me through your rifle scope.

Ltbullken
12-12-2013, 11:44 AM
First there is the scoping. And then there are those who have a loaded gun. And then there are those who will have the safety off...

For those who think scoping is no big deal... How about you don't check the condition of your rifle before cleaning it? That makes me feel better...

Blainer
12-12-2013, 11:44 AM
My 2 cents:
He looked through his Binos saw a legal animal where you where standing , put bino's down picked up gun to shoot just as u walked in!!!!!

Other wise no excuse to look through scope,and all 3 ran away like GIRLS immediately after????

finngun
12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
there is huge diff.. pointing a loaded gun ...or pointing an empty gun with a scope...just to see landscape far distance more clearly.. still binos are better solution..:eek:

Wild one
12-12-2013, 12:40 PM
there is huge diff.. pointing a loaded gun ...or pointing an empty gun with a scope...just to see landscape far distance more clearly.. still binos are better solution..:eek:

I know a lot of hunters that if you scope them and they get the chance you are either getting chewed out or taking a beating.

Loaded or not it is poor practice even during your core or pal you are taught to point firearms in a safe direction loaded or not. Firearms are only meant to be pointed at something you intend on shooting.

Ltbullken
12-12-2013, 06:16 PM

By half of the numbnuts stuff posted up on this website, do you honestly trust other hunters enough with your life to be satisfied with that logic?

btridge
12-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Every gun is loaded until proven safe...hard to do when your pointing it at me....NO EXCUSE EVER FOR POINTING A GUN AT ANYONE PERIOD.

caddisguy
12-12-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd definitely side with those saying don't do it. Glassing to see what's there means you don't know what's there and that means you don't know what your pointing a rifle at until it's already pointed.

The "lawful excuse" clause leaves room for discretion from a leo or judge, but aside from a sudden stroke or seizure "hunting" alone is unlikely going to get someone very far with either.

The law is the same whether loaded or not. Regardless, there are enough accidents resulting from people not remembering if their gun is loaded--fellow just shot himself in the stomach cleaning a shotgun on riverside road yesterday in Chilliwack--so no need to extend the risk onto others anymore than it already is.

Same guys who think glassing with a scope is ok are probably the same ones who park at the bottom of a cutblock and think there's miles of forest after the treeline so shooting at a deer on the treeline must be safe, when in reality there's often only 10 meters of trees, then a road on the other side and hunters are working the thin treeline.

Don't be a dope and glass that cut with your scope! ;-P

1/2 slam
12-12-2013, 09:00 PM
I know a lot of hunters that if you scope them and they get the chance you are either getting chewed out or taking a beating.

Loaded or not it is poor practice even during your core or pal you are taught to point firearms in a safe direction loaded or not. Firearms are only meant to be pointed at something you intend on shooting.

Very true. It is clear that a lot of clowns on this site don't get it. Scope me and they won't like the outcome.