PDA

View Full Version : Can I use your photos?

WestCoastHunter
12-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi, I am in need of some photos for a school project. They can be hunting or fishing, or even pictures of the outdoors. If you have some I could use feel free to post them. If you could provide where it was taken (region or river/lake etc.) that would be a bonus!

Thanks

One Shot
12-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Welcome aboard.

What grade are you in and what is the theme or the message that you are trying to get out of your project?

warnniklz
12-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I may have one or two

WestCoastHunter
12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm in grade 12 and I am creating a website that is currently under construction about hunting and fishing in Canada. Just a news website much like feild and stream, outdoor canada etc. and I am in need of photos!

WestCoastHunter
12-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Nice buck! Thanks for the picture :)

One Shot
12-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Good for you, I hope it all works out for you.
BTW do you fish or hunt, or come from a family that does?

coach
12-12-2013, 02:34 PM
There might be a few in my "booner season", "boner buck" and "my 2013" threads. Feel free to use them if you like.

- Sean

BigfishCanada
12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
you can use mine if you reference my site www.facebook.com/bclakefronts (http://www.facebook.com/bclakefronts) www.bclakefronts.com

warnniklz
12-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Take what ya want

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?97165-Goat-hunting-2013-2014

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?102052-Random-Hunting-Pictures-of-2013

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?57636-Wildlife-Pictures

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?88727-Region-5-November-Mulie-Down

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?82551-Spring-Bear-Hunting-2012

12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
You should post a link here when you are done, it sounds interesting.

Sofa King
12-12-2013, 04:03 PM
you can use any pics you find.
unless they've been copyrighted.
on the web, fair game.

BigfishCanada
12-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Its best you get permission, Any picture on a "normal" website, cannot be used without that website's
permission (unless they have expressly granted permission). Although it maybe unlikely that you would be sued, the fines and penalties for using a picture
without permission could potentially be very steep. You may see pictures which had been flagged copy left, that means go ahead.

Don't listen to advice that its fair game, a friend used a pic on his website and a year later a "bot" identified him to the owner which sent him a legal notice of a $1000 fee.

Blainer
12-12-2013, 06:17 PM
You have my permission
Visit my gallery if you wish

Sofa King
12-12-2013, 06:25 PM
explain that bigfish.
I'm unaware of that.

if one wants their pics protected, they need to copyright them.
just because someone tried to send some guy a $1000 fee doesn't mean it was legit.
we copy others pics on here in threads all the time.
show me where it's illegal to use pics that are on the web available to the whole world.
if that's the case, why would one even bother copyrighting if it's not needed?

r106
12-12-2013, 06:35 PM
explain that bigfish.
I'm unaware of that.

if one wants their pics protected, they need to copyright them.
just because someone tried to send some guy a $1000 fee doesn't mean it was legit.
we copy others pics on here in threads all the time.
show me where it's illegal to use pics that are on the web available to the whole world.
if that's the case, why would one even bother copyrighting if it's not needed?

Who cares this kid had some polite manners and asked stop trying to derail the kids thread

Sofa King
12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
k, so apparently just having taken the photos makes them basically copyrighted.
how does one prove they are theirs?
or how does one find out who took the photo they found online that they want to get permission from?

my avatar from this site comes up when you google "lyman lures" and look at images.
howd that get there?
I never gave permission.
did google steal it from me without authorization?

Sofa King
12-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Who cares this kid had some polite manners and asked stop trying to derail the kids thread

you're being the ass.
I was simply not aware of what bigfish was asking and inguired.
derail?
should I have started a whole thread just to ask that?
it's totally relevant to this thread, as it's discussing the actual legalities of the issue.

now how about YOU stop trying to start a fight and derail this thread.

wsm
12-12-2013, 06:49 PM
you are welcome to any I have . pm me if you want info on them

Blainer
12-12-2013, 07:04 PM
you're being the ass.
I was simply not aware of what bigfish was asking and inguired.
derail?
should I have started a whole thread just to ask that?
it's totally relevant to this thread, as it's discussing the actual legalities of the issue.

now how about YOU stop trying to start a fight and derail this thread.and you honestly wonder why so many find you to be a jacka$$?
You just don't get it!

warnniklz
12-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Duals man... easy man.

Here's a link to copyright laws in Canada
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/

Following isn't directed at you Dualie... just my thoughts out loud:

He's not making a profit on our pictures. He was cool enough to ask for our permission to use our pictures. I'd be a little chapped if he 'stole' pictures and sold them to an advertisement agency. I'd be livid if he used them for anti hunting purposes.

coach
12-12-2013, 08:41 PM
k, so apparently just having taken the photos makes them basically copyrighted.
how does one prove they are theirs?

i figure that if I ever run into some guy running around with an album full of pictures of tracks and deer shit, he's probably stolen them from you, Duallie. :-D

Back to the original topic of this thread: good on you, Westcoasthunter, for politely asking to use our public domain pictures. I sure hope you follow up by sharing your project with all of us when you're done.

Paulyman
12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
do they have to be hunting and fishing photos? Have some sweet photos of mountaineering trips that I have gone on in the last few years

WestCoastHunter
12-12-2013, 11:32 PM
I most definitley will will post a link when it's done! Still in early development but it is coming along well :) and thank you all for your posts! BigFishCanada I will definitley reference your site if I decide to use it!

You should post a link here when you are done, it sounds interesting.

WestCoastHunter
12-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Nope just a preference! I could probably find a use for some sweet mountain/nature photos :)

do they have to be hunting and fishing photos? Have some sweet photos of mountaineering trips that I have gone on in the last few years

john.b
12-12-2013, 11:44 PM
okay, picture copyright issues...
I am not a lawyer but photography is a hobby of mine.
You do not need to "copyright" a photo, if you take the photograph it is your property and thus to use said photo you would require the photographers permission. Some forums have it in their user agreements that if you upload a photo to their site they may do with it as they see fit. if you do use a photograph that was not taken by you it is probably fairly safe but the photographer may have grounds to seek compensation or at the least make you take it down. Generally speaking the only way a photographer would go after money is if you were making money off of their photo (using it for advertising etc.)

moose2
12-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Go through my gallery if you want and if there's some you like. Let me know and I will email some to you if you didn't want the HBC watermark. Good luck with your site.
Mike

warnniklz
12-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Oh... search startes threads by moose2. He started some great compilation threads. If you see something you like, PM the original poster for permission.

WestCoastHunter
12-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Awesome thank you will do!

On the topic of copyright, I appreciate your input on it, however I am just playing it safe and feel it is respectful to ask for the use of the photos. There are some very talented individuals on this site in the hunting/fishing community with amazing photogrophy skills. I wouldn't want to disrespect them by taking and using their pictures without permission!

Cheers

Go through my gallery if you want and if there's some you like. Let me know and I will email some to you if you didn't want the HBC watermark. Good luck with your site.
Mike

Wile E
12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm in grade 12 and I am creating a website that is currently under construction about hunting and fishing in Canada. Just a news website much like feild and stream, outdoor canada etc. and I am in need of photos!

Hi WCHunter, is your news site pro hunting/fishing?
"like field n stream, outdoor Canada" is a little vague for someone with my deminished intellectual capacity. :)

WestCoastHunter
12-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Yes it is most definitely pro hunting and fishing! :-D

Hi WCHunter, is your news site pro hunting/fishing?
"like field n stream, outdoor Canada" is a little vague for someone with my deminished intellectual capacity. :)

Paulyman
12-14-2013, 02:20 AM
Pm me your email, I will send you some of them.
Nope just a preference! I could probably find a use for some sweet mountain/nature photos :)