PDA

View Full Version : Any leh cow elk down yet in 7-20A?

odie1830
12-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Has anyone connected with a cow elk yet? How are herds looking? Conditions ect?

Call of the Wild
12-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Was cold and now one word man... SNOW!!!! LOTS OF IT. I'm try my luck during my week off but I haven't seen much elk activity lately.

moosinaround
12-10-2013, 10:15 AM
January/February are yer best bets! Let the snow set up, and you can tippy toe across it like a mouse! I'm heading up over christmas break, see yall up there!

d6dan
12-10-2013, 01:28 PM
January/February are yer best bets! Let the snow set up, and you can tippy toe across it like a mouse! I'm heading up over christmas break, see yall up there!

Good time for sure Mike. My brothers have 2 draws so it will be a given.:-D

Sitkaspruce
12-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Lots of snow and more coming. The radio stated that we have already surpassed the record amount of snow for the month of Dec and we are only on day 10...........

Was out on Sunday, saw 20 cows/calves, but the closest I could get was 380 yards, just a little too far for me. We guessed the wrong field, so when we got the other one, they were already in the timber heading to their bedding area. Next weekend, but not in any rush, have 3 months.....LOL

It was a great day last Sunday, saw 20 elk, 11 moose and a ton of deer, mostly mulies.

Cheers

SS

odie1830
12-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Ya it will be me and my hunting partners first go at cow elk as we both drew a cow draw, looking forward to it. Will be heading up jan 10th ish. Where is everyone staying, we were going to set up our walltent but thought it might be better to motel it , and get the lay of the land for our 1st trip up north.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Heading up just after xmas for my daughter's draw. I guess a sled would be a better option over an atv??

SSS

Call of the Wild
12-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Heading up just after xmas for my daughter's draw. I guess a sled would be a better option over an atv??

SSS

I'll let you know since I might have to use the quad the next few days.

eric
12-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Talked to two guys from the lower mainland out in the Del Rio area,haven't seen any Elk and their Quad is almost useless now with all the snow we have been getting.
All you folks comeing up this way ,it would be wise to bring a sled.
These folks are hunting the bush and the hills along the Pine and the Peace rivers and no Elk
Looks like the farmers fields are going to be the ticket,with all this snow piling up

Good luck

Sitkaspruce
12-10-2013, 10:20 PM

SSS

Brent

I was in 20" of snow on Sunday and we are supposed to get another 4-6" over the next few days, the sled will be the ticket unless we get a big warm spell. Make sure you have chains or good tires, tow rope and shovel as the side roads are slick right now.

Cheers

SS

steve62
12-11-2013, 01:04 AM
I have a either sex LEH I am thinking of heading up the first week of Feb. any farmers in 20-A want to have a elk removed from their land : )

Sitkaspruce
12-11-2013, 06:18 PM
6" more snow today and still coming down...supposed tog et another 10cm by tomorrow night.

Cheers

SS

vip_ruger
12-19-2013, 12:03 AM
been out with quite a few guys this last week and killed quite a few cows. we would kill one and they would be there the next morning again but the farmer is putting a limit on it at 20 head.

Sitkaspruce
12-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Seen about 60 in the last 2 weekends. Lots out and about this year.

Cheers

SS

HarryToolips
12-19-2013, 09:36 PM

SSS
I'm thinkin of puttin in for that draw next year if they have it, what's the drive time from here in the Okanagan to there??

Sitkaspruce
12-20-2013, 07:30 AM
My mom lives in Oliver and iirc it is around 12-14 hours but use google maps to check.

Cheers

SS

SingleShot
12-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Yes, made that drive this fall from okanagan. 12 hours on good roads, longer if inclement.

Swamp mule
12-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Normally 10.5hours from Kamloops. We had a good warming spell over the last weekend and that sure compressed the snow a little. I am looking out the window to see some more 10cm falling down. It is roughly about two feet in the back yard. Temps are -18 now. Somewhat pretty decent though it is supposed to warm up a little. The snow is up to the bellies for the mulies. haven't been out and about yet but I might go for a drive early next week to talk to a few ranchers. Had one come in to talk to me and stated that in the area that he lives that just south of him on a couple other ranchers that they are having roughly about a thousand head or so but those ranchers don't allow any hunting and that is why they are there. However close to or just NE of his ranch there are about a hundred head that were spotted crossing the road. The wolves have moved them out of the bush but also they are looking for easy feed now. On another note, the rancher was stating that this years hunting resulted in a few uneducates of hunters leaving gates open on his range. If its close or open leave it the way you found it. Also I guess someone miss took a beef cow as a ungulate. Can't figure that one out. Didn't know that they taught hunting beef cows was ok in the core program. This approach only fuels the fire for ranchers not allowing hunters on their land and spoils it for the rest of us.

Rackem
12-20-2013, 01:21 PM
It's funny cause a friend of mine has a cow elk draw, and he lives in 7-20a and in the field by his house is a huge group of BULL Elk lol, not a cow among them...:)

I work in 7-20a and see them a lot...

coach
12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
It's funny cause a friend of mine has a cow elk draw, and he lives in 7-20a and in the field by his house is a huge group of BULL Elk lol, not a cow among them...:)

Ha ha. That happened to me up there a few years ago. 9 bulls together. 3 were 6 or better. Took a couple more days before I got my cow.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2013, 05:22 PM
My daughter's draw is for "any elk". She said she's wants to hold out for a bull. I told her that's okay is she wants to pay for all the fuel!:)

SSS

CDB
12-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi

my son and I are heading up there on jan 11-18 just curious if you friend would let us check out his property my son has a any elk draw and we are trying to get him a bull
bull thanks chad 604 626 2162

Sitkaspruce
12-24-2013, 04:56 PM
To all who are coming up, bring at least snowshoes to get around and if you have access to a snowmobile, bring it. If the rancher will let you use it, you will need it. Hopefully the rancher will just go get it with his tractor, but if not, the snowshoes and a sled will help a lot. Lots of snow here, warm right now, but cooler by the weekend and more snow on Friday/Sat.

Cheers

SS

CamRubel
01-17-2014, 06:34 PM
CDB have you had any luck? I'm heading up in a week. I'm also heading up there for my first time so I am a little worried about farmers permission. I also have a call into the CO to see if he has a list of farmers that would allow a Cow Elk to be taken.

srupp
01-17-2014, 07:30 PM
so far 8 rejections by ranchers....still a couple more "hail Marys "

steven

moosinaround
01-17-2014, 08:49 PM

steven
Steven I'll give ya a report when I get back. Going up on the 1st feb for 3 days.

HarryToolips
01-17-2014, 09:18 PM
To all who are coming up, bring at least snowshoes to get around and if you have access to a snowmobile, bring it. If the rancher will let you use it, you will need it. Hopefully the rancher will just go get it with his tractor, but if not, the snowshoes and a sled will help a lot. Lots of snow here, warm right now, but cooler by the weekend and more snow on Friday/Sat.

Cheers

SS
Just curious to puttin in for this draw next year, if ya do a bit of hikin around on snowshoes does a person stand a good chance of baggin an elk and quarterin or eighthin it out or does a person basically need a snowmobile??

coach
01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Just curious to puttin in for this draw next year, if ya do a bit of hikin around on snowshoes does a person stand a good chance of baggin an elk and quarterin or eighthin it out or does a person basically need a snowmobile??

We've had the draw twice. Our group of 4 have killed 8 elk and never needed a machine to get any of them out. This year is a bit of an exception with the snow - but it sounds like it's melting pretty fast right now. It's hit -40 or colder each time we've been there. Warm clothes and a house to rent comes in handy.. :-D

Swamp mule
01-17-2014, 09:29 PM
the snow has definitely melted some. IN the front yard it has gone from about 4 feet to just under 2 feet in the sun. I noticed that the grain fields are showing stubble. expecting that things will melt more in the next few days. Some bare spots are showing. Roads are either bare or icy. pending on where you are hunting you may need snowshoes. some farmers are receptive and whiles have either been burned or not experiencing the influx of elk on their haybales. when you come up and drive around take note of any fields with bales ad try to find the owner of the field and you may have luck. Don't bother with the hutterites as there is not much happening on their lands

HarryToolips
01-17-2014, 09:40 PM
We've had the draw twice. Our group of 4 have killed 8 elk and never needed a machine to get any of them out. This year is a bit of an exception with the snow - but it sounds like it's melting pretty fast right now. It's hit -40 or colder each time we've been there. Warm clothes and a house to rent comes in handy.. :-D
Sounds like you know what your doin with regards to huntin and your in my area so if ya ever need a huntin partner/pack mule give me a PM:-D

Sitkaspruce
01-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Was out today, no elk spotted; full moon and warm weather has them more in the fall feeding than winter feeding.

+8 today, supposed to be warm for the next week....

At least the snow is getting knocked down, which will help the deer.

Cheers

SS

BRvalley
01-20-2014, 10:29 AM

steven

so I'm not the only one who has bad luck asking for permission up here!

I tried in July, nice and early, beer in hand, clean shaven and a clean shirt too lol

good luck with the hail Mary's

two-feet
01-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I have put in on this draw in the past without success, after reading this thread I am not sure I will put in for it again. 2500 authorizations puts the ranchers on the defensive I suppose.

Ambush
01-20-2014, 01:25 PM
I've put in every year since the draw's inception and never been drawn. Sad thing is I have a place to hunt.

And yes it does pi$$ me off how many times I talk to people that have the draw but are not going to even try 'cause it's too far, cold, snowy or they read the internet intel as saying "stay home 'cause they're not standing in the fields".

If you have a tag, GO HUNT!! If you have to drive around for four days to find permission to hunt the last three, then do that. Or hunt public land and make the best of it.

bc traper
01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
We drove up a couple of years back We did not ask permission to hunt any private land We hunted crown land and shot ours

M.Dean
01-20-2014, 02:17 PM
A buddy of mine went up a few weeks ago, 5 guys went up and they came back with 5 Elk. A couple of the guys knew a few of the local Ranchers, I think that makes a big difference!

CDB
01-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Well we headed up two weeks ago and my son tried for a bull for the first three days but couldn't get close enough for a shot . We saw small groups of bulls and large groups of cows every day. My son shot a cow and got his first elk. We found that you had to be in the fields an hour before light and try to catch them standing on the tree line. It was pretty easy to see where the elk are feeding as the fields are all dug up.

i had the bright idea to not bring one of our snowmobiles so it took us two hours to drag a sled with snow shoes 1000 yards to the truck. It was my sons first year getting Leh draws and he filled both draws. Great start to a hunting career for a 13 year old

coach
01-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the report, CDB. Congrats to your son! Any pics of your adventure?

f350ps
01-23-2014, 11:20 PM

steven
Are you phone scouting, I had great luck knocking on doors, never had a rejection. K

srupp
01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Ken..yes I had several ranch #s to call...however it does look like I have to put my $$$ where my mouth is and head up and try knocking on doors..I will try and fill the tag...I have in the past disagreed strongly with getting a tag and not trying..will head up late next week...is there someplace near Dawson Creek that a guy could rent a snowmobile for a day IF successful to get the critter out??hmmm could be some homemade German dinner sausage for info on elk locations ..lol just talking out loud speculating lmao...

So pension cheque comes in Monday..then look at heading up Monday next??

Any PMS will be greatfully received and read..

cheers

elkless / clueless in the Pond

steven

CaribooBC
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM
With the melt going on right now, forget about sleds unless they get some more snow up there. There is almost no snow left in Chetwynd, Dawson Creek still had some this morning but it was +8C when I left there at 6am today. I believe Peace Country Rentals in Chetwynd has sleds for rent.

huff
01-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Well we headed up two weeks ago and my son tried for a bull for the first three days but couldn't get close enough for a shot . We saw small groups of bulls and large groups of cows every day. My son shot a cow and got his first elk. We found that you had to be in the fields an hour before light and try to catch them standing on the tree line. It was pretty easy to see where the elk are feeding as the fields are all dug up.

i had the bright idea to not bring one of our snowmobiles so it took us two hours to drag a sled with snow shoes 1000 yards to the truck. It was my sons first year getting Leh draws and he filled both draws. Great start to a hunting career for a 13 year old

CBD. were you hunting Chetwyn area?

CDB
01-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Yep we started in chetwynd and worked our way to FSJ

wiggy
01-25-2014, 07:54 PM

congrats to the young man and you

brutus
01-26-2014, 03:56 PM
We drove up a couple of years back We did not ask permission to hunt any private land We hunted crown land and shot ours
:mrgreen:thats the way we do it seems to work pretty good

srupp
01-26-2014, 04:00 PM
hmmm so in spite of the residual "issues" of retirement I am headed north for Feb 3rd . for hunting Feb 4th for a few days .LOL Susan needs a break ha ha ha .

To those that sent words of advice, snows too deep or now no snow left..or gave me phone #s of brothers.. father in laws..sisters....ESPECIALLY the sisters..lol I will now get stuff organized for the expedition .I am so thankful for those that took the time to send P-ms...I do appreciate the help..only my second time ever hunting elk..first time solo...

Will be staying in Dawson Creek...

Thank you..Susan for allowing me the opportunity..

Steven

moosinaround
01-26-2014, 04:08 PM
hmmm so in spite of the residual "issues" of retirement I am headed north for Feb 3rd . for hunting Feb 4th for a few days .LOL Susan needs a break ha ha ha .

To those that sent words of advice, snows too deep or now no snow left..or gave me phone #s of brothers.. father in laws..sisters....ESPECIALLY the sisters..lol I will now get stuff organized for the expedition .I am so thankful for those that took the time to send P-ms...I do appreciate the help..only my second time ever hunting elk..first time solo...

Will be staying in Dawson Creek...

Thank you..Susan for allowing me the opportunity..

Steven
Its a go for us on the 1st Steven, so Call me on my cell, i'll give you the current intel!

Moosin

srupp
01-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks Mike 10-4...

Give me a call when you get a chance..have some updates ALSO..lol

steven

PGFullMonty
01-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey Steve,
I PM'd you too, we are heading back up again this weekend!!

MIke

rocksteady
01-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks Mike 10-4...

Give me a call when you get a chance..have some updates ALSO..lol

steven

Elk meat is well worth the effort! You will love it

leadpillproductions
01-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Not much movin around yet but cold weather coming so they should start. Im trying to get out mon morning and wed to have a look around .

srupp
01-30-2014, 02:52 PM
hmmm bought an elk tag this am...1/2 done packing..man what a crap load of %#&#&^**^$& for a few days hunting..lol...booked a hotel room..hmmm if lucky I could butcher the elk in the bathtub....??? jeeez sure don't get much of a Hotel for $10.00 a night ! ha ha ha..ya everything but the elk...

Been doing the treadmill one day, weights the next bike the next day etc since Jan 1 20 pounds now lost..should make hiking the snow a bit easier...damn fine thing I have the right gear .....back to packing......

cheers

Steven

Moose63
01-31-2014, 10:20 PM

Oh man! that would hurt....

coach
01-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Good luck up there, Srupp. Hopefully the cold weather gets the animals moving. You may just time things perfectly. :-D

f350ps
02-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Supposed to get to -28 on Monday, I'm suspecting some hair will hit the ground next week! K

BRvalley
02-01-2014, 11:37 AM
they've been out in force on the way to work lately(southern boundary of the zone) since the warm spell and strong winds, many fields are now bare or have very little snow depth on them

srupp
02-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Thank you to all that have sent e-mail messages..truth of the matter is I am not experienced at hunting elk at all. Only one previous hunt with Tim..and I was assistant Sherpa..lol. However Im going to give it a go come Monday headed up to Dawson Creek..I "had " a list of a few contacts..several guys from this site 2 names Mike...Susan cleared my office desk and shredded those...oh well..I am staying at the Travellers Inn (across from Safeway ) and yes they rent the room daily not just hourly..lol. have everything I suspect I may need..I think...

Emails are still appreciated and encouraged...

Again thanks Ladies and Gents...

cheers

Srupp

I am home till Monday dark thirty..then head north...

hunter1947
02-01-2014, 12:38 PM
When hunting elk up that way contacts are the most important people you can have on your side the next is seeing the elk then you shoot and the work starts LOL good luck Steven on your adventure wish you all the best of LUCK ,,H-47..

srupp
02-01-2014, 01:09 PM
shhhhh I have a secret plan..Im only taking in salt and pepper in my day pack..plan on eating it right then and there..d a da..no packing lol...hmmm one of our guys Mike will be there when I am..and has a snowmobile and skimmer...just to find him..

cheers

steven

Elkiller
02-01-2014, 07:38 PM
I saw so many elk today but not 1 farmer would let me hunt them, i was going bonkers as we were driving away from that field. So far all the elk I've see have been on land that farmers won't allow me to hunt...... Its brutal.

stinkyduck
02-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Last time i was up in the dawson area some farmers wanted us to kill all the elk! some farmers would not allow us to hunt or shoot around their farms. then i mentioned the coyotes that we seen around the area, and the response was " shoot every coyote you see"?????

mountainman
02-01-2014, 08:18 PM
shhhhh I have a secret plan..Im only taking in salt and pepper in my day pack..plan on eating it right then and there..d a da..no packing lol...hmmm one of our guys Mike will be there when I am..and has a snowmobile and skimmer...just to find him..

cheers

steven
I'll be home hopefully on the night of the 6th, sled (need an excuse to buy a skimmer), side by side, trailer, pick up and all tricks I know for elk at your disposal!
Best of luck to you and stay warm!!!

Doublelung
02-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Seeing elk everyday out towards lone prairie. Several herds around there containing bulls and cows. Also seeing elk up higher but way out of the zone. Seems weird that they are moving into the higher ground so early unless they know something I don't. It seems there departure to higher ground is three months earlier then last year.

srupp
02-01-2014, 10:58 PM
I'll be home hopefully on the night of the 6th, sled (need an excuse to buy a skimmer), side by side, trailer, pick up and all tricks I know for elk at your disposal!
Best of luck to you and stay warm!!!

Hi Joe yes will give you a call...

In truth this has been an eye opener, I have heard of several bad encounters when "hunters " have done apparently some very inappropriate stunts...and several ranches that have closed their doors. Having the tags go from 1,000 to 2500 I am told was to deal with the 300% increase in elk numbers and one number given me was $30,000 in hay damage and loss by one large ranch last year alone..I cant confirm these numbers....... but in 4 weeks of phoning and map crawling and trying to recapture favours and in most cases reaching out for a favour I hear that most of the guys in that area..that live there have not done well on elk this year for varying reasons.

I have even offered ranchers 4 days of work.. later on come spring etc. whatever I could do in order to demonstrate that the fence gate swings both ways..so far nada..

I chose to not hunt agressivly this past fall knowing I had a peace river elk tag as a "ace" for the freezer..it has been anything but an ace.

However I will still go and work my substantial ass off from dawn till dusk however its not likely I will apply again . It was an eye opener to view it from a ranchers perspective on the constant requests for opportunity....this is a privilege and its unfortunate when others actions close the door...

That's my "rise and whine " superbowl tomorrow and headed north Monday sometimes ya just gotta get lucky..and the luckiest guys are those that try..

cheers

Steven

hunter1947
02-02-2014, 05:21 AM
I saw so many elk today but not 1 farmer would let me hunt them, i was going bonkers as we were driving away from that field. So far all the elk I've see have been on land that farmers won't allow me to hunt...... Its brutal.

Keep banging on different farmers doors one of them I would think will let you hunt on there land tell them you will take the gut bag etc when you leave there property this might help ,,good luck..

stinkyduck
02-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Don't forget that you can shoot an elk up to 2KM from private property! check maps carefully and skirt the property. Bring your pack board.

Swamp mule
02-02-2014, 10:42 AM
That only pertains to the following MU's 7-22, 7-43, 7-44, 7-45, 7-58 for the 2km boundary of private land whereas anything that includes MU's for the 7-20A is different. But yes read it carefully.
Don't forget that you can shoot an elk up to 2KM from private property! check maps carefully and skirt the property. Bring your pack board.
--, ,

Swamp mule
02-02-2014, 11:06 AM
That is right a few farmers have been burned by those that have not listened or did something to upset them. It takes time to earn the trust back and like srupp stated in a later posting that you must offer an opportunity to come and work for them for a few days doing some hard and undesirable work and if you make it through that and be on the good side then you have a lead. I did that for a couple years on one ranch and now have solidified a few 1/4's for elk hunting every year, kinda exclusive rights (even though I don't want that b/c I like to allow others opportunities). Also b/c of the field that I work in that I am always interacting with ranchers and it takes a few years to get to know them and get invited back to hunt on their land. It takes time.

Sitkaspruce
02-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Both ranches I have permission on for this year have been invaded by gas companies in the last 2-3 weeks. This has resulted in the elk leaving......so now back to knocking on doors and making a few calls. Even the CO's don't have many ideas as the farmers contact list is now down to 2-3 people.

So if there is any contacts out there, pm me if you want to.

Cheers

SS

f350ps
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
I strongly suggest getting the map book that shows the landowners names and where all the crown is. Of the two Elk we got one of them was taken on a 200yd strip of crown between to very large ranches, without the book we'd have never known it was there! The book is available at McElhenny's in Ft.St.John or the gun shop, although pricey it was a very good investment! Good Luck!!! K

srupp
02-02-2014, 12:01 PM
ALL excellent points..I now have 6 pounds of printed maps and suggestions from this site...F350ps great advantage..however too late as the am come early however that would have been kick ass useful..

Kind of strange..90% of my hunts are trophy hunts..cougar sheep deer bear..even moose...this one was always about winter meat...having been professionally trained as a meat cutter and sausage maker...next to bison elk is my favorite meat..has been for 15 years...

I went and bought some boot/hand warmers as there is no going back to any hotel..its dark am till dark 30..lol and now who was it that asked IF I had things planned for retirement..yes everything but a day off...this should be a blast..not sure solo was best idea I came up with but gonna have to do this time...to all others that have a tag good luck also ..be brave and dont shoot till you see the white of their eyes...

cheers

Steven

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Ya right, the ravens, yotes, and wolves will make good work of that within a few days :mrgreen:. But seriously is it that much to ask for 1 fricken elk!!! this is turning out to be worse that deer hunting. Might have to resort to old tacticts hook er to the ball and boot!

BRvalley
02-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I strongly suggest getting the map book that shows the landowners names and where all the crown is. Of the two Elk we got one of them was taken on a 200yd strip of crown between to very large ranches, without the book we'd have never known it was there! The book is available at McElhenny's in Ft.St.John or the gun shop, although pricey it was a very good investment! Good Luck!!! K

this x2

pm sent

srupp
02-02-2014, 02:16 PM
generous offer on the book...thank you BR....

cheers

Steven

leadpillproductions
02-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Just got back from hockey trip (kid). Wind is blowing and looks miserable weather coming . SRUPP ive missed your calls

bwhnter
02-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Elkiller are you hunting up around fort st john by chance?

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=bwhnter;1456888]Elkiller are you hunting up around fort st john by chance?[/QUOTE
Yes I am any leads yet?

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 07:13 PM
im pretty new to this sorry for the quote stuff

bwhnter
02-02-2014, 07:23 PM
no just curious. Are you driving an older blue chevy with a head ache rack?

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Why U know me?

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 07:28 PM
And yes thats my truck

bwhnter
02-02-2014, 07:32 PM
No just curious. Saw a few people driving around the last few days and thought i would see.

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Where'd you see me @ you drive a lifted black chev?

bwhnter
02-02-2014, 07:40 PM
No I drive back and forth on the hudsons hope road and i just notice vehicles stopped looking at the elk on the hills. Saw that one and thought i would see.

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Nope different blue chev, but thanks for the tip!

bwhnter
02-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Yeah good luck. Will watch for you in the future.

bwhnter
02-02-2014, 07:51 PM
And i would also like to remind people that there is a lot of semi traffic on the Hudsons Hope highway and it is illegal to shoot within 400 meters of the highway.

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks bud feel free to stop n have a bs if you want it'd be cool to meet a few people on here

srupp
02-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Hmm great football outcome...headed north to dawson creek at 430 am... goodnite all will keep in contact from my tablet...

Cheers

Srupp

Elkiller
02-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Good luck srupp hope you get a freezer full!

srupp
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Day 1

Seen 50 plus elk all on private land or accross the pine river....asked politely at 9 seperate ranches..all 2 of the conversations in shooting distance of several elk....either familly were headed up to hunt them...or they didnt allow hunters...all were offered 4 days of free help on the ranches...non had anything good to say about the thieving elk...but all refused....

EXCEPT ONE !!!!!!!

HE SAID YES....he took time to show me his fenceline...no go areas..and the groundrules...no bulls , try and anchor them as he feels y
They soak up lead well at this time of year

I gave him my ex buisness card..with home and cell numbers...and the offer for 4 days freecwork surprised him..he seemed inclined to take me up on that offer...work will never hurt me....

Regardless of getting an elk...this guy was Awesome..simply could not be nicer..even requesred I shoot any coyotes...I was genuinely humbled at his sincere offer and his friendly manner....dont know anything about tractors..but his big blue tractor was impressive to this city boy....

Off to bed 4am comes early again

Cheers

Steven rupp

Bear Chaser
02-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Good for you. Good luck.

I've always had better luck asking in person instead of over the phone the first time.

srupp
02-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Day 2...in by 530 watched the wind...no noise nada...by legal shooting time spotted a couple of mulie deer,, went sloly to the other area..could obviouly see where they had been

Afternoon went higher and glassed..was minus 25

Today day 3..

Minus 27 at 530 am...i slowly crept towards the fields...you could hear bulls bugling...and the Mew..mew..of cows and young elk...but could not see as still to dark...wind was blowing to me from their direction...300 yards? I SAT and waited for light...no noise from them after 7 am...they were gone by 90 minutes before dawn....apparantly both days....

Its not a case of noise or smell they just appear to be totally nocturnal...im beginning to feel that they will never be in that area come dawn..its not making mistakes..and giving myself away...just been pressed too hard and several shot already...where they bed has houses so no shooting zone..

Any ideas?..? Its supposed to be minus 29 tonite..I will give it one more day..maybe 2..but starting to feel like its pretty grim...

I am going to try to wear runners with socks over them and creep down a tractor trail inthe dark in the am...so I will be150 yards from where they were this am...and if they hit the other spot they have to pass within 50 yards to hit their bedding trail...

Doing my best but being outsmarted by hay munchers...lol

Cheers from DAwson CReek

Steven

coach
02-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Keep at it Steven. We've taken an equal amount of elk at first and last light while hunting the same draw you have. Mid day is a waste of time. Unfortunately, there's not much of a window to hunt them as the behavior you are observing is pretty consistent with how it's always been. Any chance of setting up this afternoon in order to possibly ambush them coming into the fields?

srupp
02-05-2014, 12:42 PM
I went up the mountain and found their trail to the bedding area...they leave the property im hunting...no chance of following them..lol already tried that..3 foot snow drifts brutal..

I think mid day is a great time for hot showers...sitting still at minus 25 eventually the cold does permeate even the best layering system...and these hot packs for hands and feet are awesome...

Pretty good advice,, I dont mind my human scent lingering on the far area maybe they will hit the easier accessable one...?

Hotel beds and foodjoints are getting old....

Already knew I was a rookie in this area of hunting but It Was exciting listening to them bugle and call in the dark...unfortunatly I was already butchering and counting itba done deal...my bad....some day old chinese microwaved...and back out to sit tll black 30

Cheers

Steven

moosinaround
02-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Keep at it Steven. We've taken an equal amount of elk at first and last light while hunting the same draw you have. Mid day is a waste of time. Unfortunately, there's not much of a window to hunt them as the behavior you are observing is pretty consistent with how it's always been. Any chance of setting up this afternoon in order to possibly ambush them coming into the fields?

ding ding that's how it's done!! Ambush em!!! Or sneak into bedding areas! I was in on 2 elk last winter, 1 ambushed at last light, and 1 shot in the bedding area!!

coach
02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
A pop up blind and propane heater could be useful - but last time I was up there, the propane froze. Coldest temp for the week was -46 not counting wind chill!

GoatGuy
02-05-2014, 01:07 PM
A pop up blind and propane heater could be useful - but last time I was up there, the propane froze. Coldest temp for the week was -46 not counting wind chill!

yes, that works..... needed a shovel to dig out all the snow first.

Ghillie
02-05-2014, 07:10 PM
I tracked and stalked a herd of 7 elk last Friday. 9:30 in the morning they were on their way back to their beds, moving slowly through an open bench on the mountain.

Got a clear shot of the only bull in the herd (Either sex draw). I could see the window of opportunity closing fast as the herd had heard me coming, although they could not see or smell me. As they began to quickly exit the open bench in single file, the bull stood broad side, looked right through me, and I let one fly. I judged the distance well, but in my anticipation and excitement of shooting my first elk I did not account for accelerated bullet drop in my shot due to my downhill angle.

Swing and a miss! Checked for blood, nothing but some scuffed up snow and dirt where my bullet hit the ground and the sound of thundering hooves and antlers through the trees. A little disappointed, but I learnt more from missing this elk then I would have ever learnt by dropping him.

srupp
02-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Well its B.E.D time..thats,, bootey ass...elk...down!,,,,,,,!,,! Jntercepted them coming off the hill...took a large cow elk...she, s now chillin in the truck...headed home in am....too many to thank tonight....

Cheers

First elk down
Steven

CaribooBC
02-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Congrats! Well done.

moosinaround
02-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Well its B.E.D time..thats,, bootey ass...elk...down!,,,,,,,!,,! Jntercepted them coming off the hill...took a large cow elk...she, s now chillin in the truck...headed home in am....too many to thank tonight....

Cheers

First elk down
Steven

good work Steven!! Worth the effort! Congratulations!!

moosin

leadpillproductions
02-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Congrads steve good job

boxhitch
02-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Attago Steve

Iltasyuko
02-05-2014, 09:23 PM
That didn't take long. Congrats .

boxhitch
02-05-2014, 09:24 PM
.............. I judged the distance well, but in my anticipation and excitement of shooting my first elk I did not account for accelerated bullet drop in my shot due to my downhill angle.

Swing and a miss! Checked for blood, nothing but some scuffed up snow and dirt where my bullet hit the ground and the sound of thundering hooves and antlers through the trees. A little disappointed, but I learnt more from missing this elk then I would have ever learnt by dropping him.accelerated bullet drop ? Never heard of that.

Call of the Wild
02-05-2014, 11:53 PM

I wouldn't be too quick to write off mid day! I got my cow last month just before noon, and half my bulls taken in September were mid day ones too. The key is patience and stealth since they most likely will hear you so play it "real" like an elk.

coach
02-05-2014, 11:58 PM

Cheers

First elk down
Steven

Awesome, Steven!! if anyone deserves some good karma, it's you. Looking forward to the story and pictures. There's nothing better than the taste of grain fed peace region elk.

todbartell
02-06-2014, 12:22 AM
in my anticipation and excitement of shooting my first elk I did not account for accelerated bullet drop in my shot due to my downhill angle..

You likely shot over the elk, since downhill/uphill angles reduce horizontal distance to the target. Most of the newer rangefinders give true horizontal distance

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_RX-III_TBR.jpg

hunter1947
02-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Steven nice to hear you got your elk and your on your way home with lots of excellent meat you will be hooked on eating elk meat from now on :) you will be hooked on elk hunting now ,,look for Steven to shoot a bull elk in 2014..

Looking forward to your story and pictures :),,asking the farmers eventually paid off for you you did not get discouraged :wink:,,,congrats to you Steven http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png..

GoatGuy
02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
accelerated bullet drop ? Never heard of that.

Another word for "I missed". Been there got that t-shirt.

No sense in doing the math on an animal with 2' of fur broadside and a vital area better than 1'. Would have to be an extreme situation to rationalize a complete miss on an elk due to the angle and gun.

GoatGuy
02-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Congrats on the elk, should be tasty.

srupp
02-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Just in..thanks to EVERYONE...will post some stuff in a day...lots to get done yet today....

cheers
Steven

huff
02-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi Steven.. I will be heading up to 7-20a for the last week of Feb. for cow elk draw . Any chance I could get some info on the area you were hunting or the farmers address or phone #. Congrats on your success.

Huff

Elkiller
02-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Bagged N tagged!!! all my whining finally paid off haha. A farmer finally let me drive around his property, and guess who showed up the whole fricken herd! They were moving through the bush, so i jumped out of the truck and fumbled with my clip trying to get it in my 300win mag. Elk after elk crossed the cut line beside me. I tried to line up but they were all piled up so if I shot one the bullet might go through and take out another one. Finally they all disappeared, I thought O **** i blew it. So I took a walk down the road i was on and saw a intersecting cut line with an elk standing on it so I line up and just as I was about to squeeze she went in the bush. Out popped another one I lined up and let one fly. I saw two elk standing there after i squeezed the trigger, did I hit her wtf?!? so I took a walk in there, sure enough she ran 15 yards and dropped next to a big pine tree, kinda comes in handy when your alone. Got the work done and was out of the bush by noon haha.

coach
02-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Well done, Elkiller!

srupp
02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
congradulations !!! well done...

steven