PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a BC Guided Hunt?

Tomanik2700
12-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm looking into getting a guided caribou/moose hunt in northern BC and was wondering if anybody as any recommendations or can share experiences with certain guide companies? The one I'm currently most interested in is http://www.circlemoutfitters.ca/contactus.html. Guided moose hunt 10 days with fishing included, sounds pretty great!

Cheers,

Cole

Rackmastr
12-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Circle M guides in an area I've hunted and have guided right beside. Cool area and seems to have some pretty good moose numbers. Not sure what success rates are like on caribou but worth looking into.

Tons of great outfits to consider. I'd recommend Gundahoo River Outfitters as another option as they kill some good moose and caribou. Lots of different options, hunt styles, locations, trophy quality, etc out there.

**Edit. Just realized you're from BC. Have you looked into a drop-camp or a self-guided or outfitted hunt?

264mag
12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Make sure to contact as many references as you can. I have done several guided hunts and some were great and some were not.

Tomanik2700
12-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Not too sure what you mean by drop-camp or self-guided. I do not have the experience to carry out a serious moose or caribou hunt on my own, so a guide company seems like it would offer the only alternative?

monasheemountainman
12-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Dude don't spend money on something that we are so lucky to be able to do for free! Team up with a buddy that has done a good hunt before or just do it yourself! Spend half the money you would spend on a guide on some good gear, and you will have more than you need! Get out there in a tent or a camper and have a blast!

Pm with any questions you have, I'd be happy to help you save some money and still have a great hunt!

604redneck
12-09-2013, 09:22 PM
^what he said!

12-09-2013, 09:24 PM
You can save a lot of money by simply using a transporter service. Steamboat Mountain Outfitters is top-notch.

Tomanik2700
12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I already have all the gear (or will have before I go), I am just lacking knowledge on just about all other aspects.

dakoda62
12-10-2013, 04:31 AM
Just be aware guided hunts are not cheap. $4000 to 5000 plus trophy fee's

Avalanche123
12-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Ditto what MonahseeMountain said…..a big part of the adventure is figuring it out for yourself. (And I also guide..)

boxhitch
12-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Good on ya for wanting to take up the hunt , getting experience can be a daunting barrier for sure.
If paying for the intro and lessons is best for you , a G/O is the way to go . Lots in the far north have good moose , some have better caribou than others. Consider the Yukon for some good hunting.
Another popular combo is the moose / goat hunt , gets you up into the steep stuff too.
Look up the GOABC website and maybe join up for the Mountain Hunter magazine , lots of stories by hunters and advertising for outfits.

Gateholio
12-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Packer might be the way to go to save some money but you would probably learn lots from a guide if you tell him you want to learn. Depends if you want to spend the money, as guides are pricey.

Tomanik2700
12-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I think I've found a guide on this website who I'm paying for the transportation and bringing gear who is going to take me hunting, and I will be able to learn a lot!

Downtown
12-10-2013, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=Tomanik2700;1430195]I'm looking into getting a guided caribou/moose hunt in northern BC and was wondering if anybody as any recommendations or can share experiences with certain guide companies? The one I'm currently most interested in is http://www.circlemoutfitters.ca/contactus.html. Guided moose hunt 10 days with fishing included, sounds pretty great!

Cheers,

You are a wise Man. As others have suggested, as a BC Resident you surly can do it all by yourself without an Outfitter/Guide but will it be a relaxing and enjoyable experience not to mention the likelihood of getting a chance on good Trophy heads, well its all up to the individual.
When considering an Outfitter make sure the basics are covered. *Avoid misunderstandings by doing everything in writing.* Be clear whom you are dealing with. If the Outfitter is not listed with the Ministry of Environment ask for an explanation and check it out. Ask for a written rundown how that hunt will be conducted so you have a idea what to expect. *Ask for pictures of the accommodation typical for this hunt and how many other hunting Clients of this Outfitter will be hunting out of this Camp. Get in shape and if the hunt involves Horses take a few hours riding lessons and be sure to have long underwear with you to reduce sore legs.

Good Luck