an open season for antlerless mule deer in British Columbia's Peace
region to help address the ongoing issue of wildlife/agriculture
conflicts.

The open season applies to Management Units 7-20, 7-21, 7-32 to 7-35,
and 7-45 and 7-46 on private agricultural property and Crown land within
1,000 metres of private property.

This open season goes from Feb. 1 to March 15, 2007, or Feb. 1 until 72
hours after the ministry's regional manager informs the public that the
season will be closed, whichever occurs first.

Hunters must report their kill within 48 hours to the Fort St. John
regional office by phone (250 787-3411) or in person. They are required
to report the date and location of the kill.

This special season, which was authorized under the Wildlife Act, has a
separate two-deer limit in addition to the normal mule deer seasons.
Hunters may use any uncancelled mule deer tags from the fall 2006
hunting season or purchase new tags.

-30-

Media

Andy Ackerman
Regional Manager
Environmental Stewardship
Peace Region
250 787-3411

For more information on government services or to subscribe to the
Province's news feeds using RSS, visit the Province's website at
www.gov.bc.ca. (http://www.gov.bc.ca./)

mark
02-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Hmm... thats news to me! Why dont they just open the season longer in the fall if deer are overpopulated! :mad:

rocksteady
02-06-2007, 07:29 PM
2 words for you "ROAD TRIP"......

Barracuda
02-06-2007, 07:29 PM
just recieved this through an email

INFORMATION BULLETIN
For Immediate Release
2007ENV0009-000094
Feb. 6, 2007

Ministry of Environment

OPEN SEASON ESTABLISHED FOR ANTLERLESS MULE DEER

FORT ST. JOHN - The Ministry of Environment will immediately implement
an open season for antlerless mule deer in British Columbia's Peace
region to help address the ongoing issue of wildlife/agriculture
conflicts.

The open season applies to Management Units 7-20, 7-21, 7-32 to 7-35,
and 7-45 and 7-46 on private agricultural property and Crown land within
1,000 metres of private property.

This open season goes from Feb. 1 to March 15, 2007, or Feb. 1 until 72
hours after the ministry's regional manager informs the public that the
season will be closed, whichever occurs first.

Hunters must report their kill within 48 hours to the Fort St. John
regional office by phone (250 787-3411) or in person. They are required
to report the date and location of the kill.

-30-

Media

Andy Ackerman
Regional Manager
Environmental Stewardship
Peace Region
250 787-3411

For more information on government services or to subscribe to the
Province's news feeds using RSS, visit the Province's website at
www.gov.bc.ca. (http://www.gov.bc.ca./)

if it was closer i would love to take advantage of it .

Mini_Me
02-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Hmm why wasn't this in the regs? I hope this isn't phony bologni or either I could get a second chance.

bsa30-06
02-06-2007, 07:34 PM
if it was closer i would love to take advantage of it .

Me too, but it is to far away, work has me a little busy.

hunter1947
Coasts to much money to travel that far for a mule deer.:frown: hunter 1947.

Husky7mm
Sounds like bull to me, isn't that area managed for trophy deer? Now lets kill them all! Most mule deer are antlerless by that time, fkuc that shit. :evil: You would think its a CWD zone! If they were over populated why not open it up for the hunters in aug- nov. These deer have made it through the rut and half the winter and are probably pregnant! Why not just posion them Andy Ackerman!!!!!!!!!:evil:

Bushman
02-06-2007, 07:42 PM
The news release regarding the anterless deer season is right up on the Government's Environmental Management page here:
http://www.gov.bc.ca./bvprd/bc/channel.do?action=theme&channelID=-8412&navId=NAV_ID_province&crumb=B.C.+Home*Main+Index&crumburl=%2Fhome.do*%2Findex.do%3FindexChannelId%3 D-8342%26channelId%3Dnull

Bushman

~T-BONE~
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Sounds like some expensive sausage meat for anyone round here (Kamloops down). My guess is not too many folks will take'em. If they do It'll be mainly farmers shootem and leave them!

If anyone wants some deer trim for making sausage, ground or whatever I got extra! I'll even bring it out!!!! If your close..........Or meet half way..

bochunk2000
02-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Sounds like bull to me, isn't that area managed for trophy deer? Now lets kill them all! Most mule deer are antlerless by that time, fkuc that shit. :evil: You would think its a CWD zone! If they were over populated why not open it up for the hunters in aug- nov. These deer have made it through the rut and half the winter and are probably pregnant! Why not just posion them Andy Ackerman!!!!!!!!!:evil:

Is there a need for this kind of language on a family site?

Husky7mm
02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
What language? I disguissed the word:) This isnt Good Parenting, its about hunting and hunting issues. Somepeople are rougher than others. Maby its little Jonnies bed time:lol:

Gamebuster
02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Knocking back a deer pop. nearing carrying capacity gives higher recruitment...while also alleviating agr. problems over the winter...and providing hunting opportunity...sounds good to me

Husky7mm
02-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Knocking back a deer pop. nearing carrying capacity gives higher recruitment...while also alleviating agr. problems over the winter...and providing hunting opportunity...sounds good to me
It sure does......... But opening it up long after the season closes and the travelling sportsman have gone home is a farse! The General season of this area does not reflect this over population problem. I don't think we are getting the full stoty or maby some hidden agenda is shinning though!

3kills
02-06-2007, 09:34 PM
maybe they are doing it after the travelling sportsman have left so that there is less hunters around so numbers killed are lower then what they would be if the opened the season up for aug-nov....

Jetboat
02-06-2007, 09:51 PM
There's been four does and two mature bucks killed on the road within 1/4 mile of my driveway in the last several weeks. Every day dozens of mule deer are wandering between our farm and the neighbour's. On some days, driving 20min to town, we count well over 100 deer and the sheer numbers of road killed deer between here and Chetwynd is staggering. So why not hop in the pickup, split the gas with a couple buddy's and take a trip up here and bag a few does for the freezer. Trust me, we have lots!! Beats seeing them become raven bait in the ditch...

kishman
02-06-2007, 10:02 PM
2 words for you "ROAD TRIP"......

Sounds good, I'll drive8-) .......Seriously though, if I can find a couple of buds who want to split costs why not?

GoatGuy
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM

I wouldn't blame Andy for the past mistakes of the old regional - he's merely dealing with the garbage that was left over.

Barracuda
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Sounds good, I'll drive8-) .......Seriously though, if I can find a couple of buds who want to split costs why not?

HMMMMMM:smile:

Tinney
02-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I think the reasoning behind it is pretty simple......too many deer eating too much hay :| And all the deer have not dropped their gear (at least the whities). My old man was up there last weekend and saw a huge 6pt bull elk and several decent whitetail bucks. No cow elk though :|

Tinney
02-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Jetboat you have mail :)

Benthos
02-06-2007, 10:36 PM
i saw that tonight. sounds good. will have to take a trip with a few buddies three hours up the road and each bag 2 deer.

Tinney
02-06-2007, 10:38 PM
^^ Race ya! :lol:

boxhitch
02-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I think the reasoning behind it is pretty simple......too many deer eating too much hay
That wraps it up.
jetboat

Trust me, we have lots!!

A simple cull of 2-300 won't hurt a thing.

$400-+ return trip fuel, 3 nights accom/food, topped off with a wolf or two, Swing by for a bison = priceless

Tinney
02-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Wow someone agreed with me :lol: I will be heading up!

ianwuzhere
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
wow- sharpening up the broad heads and ready to paint the snow red. thank you andy!!! two thumbs up! i know people up there and they have been phoning the ministry complaining about the over population concern- i feel it is the right thing to do!!!
Cheers!!! and happy hunting= hehe didnt think id be saying that again for deer on this license anyhow- get some pix and start sharing some stories!!!
yahooo!

willy442
02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't blame Andy for the past mistakes of the old regional - he's merely dealing with the garbage that was left over.
Don't worry Andy Ackerman has been in the area for plenty of time to be carrying more baggage then should be allowed.
The winter here is probaly the worst in 10 years on the animals. Just today I saw both Moose and Deer bleeding around the legs from the icey crust on the deep snow, due to the recent freezing rains. I've been told that it's not much different in the mountains and the Wolves are on a feeding frenzey. Like Jet Boat said these deer will most likely die any way, Moose, Deer and Elk have their heads buried in the farmers hay bales because it's just about impossible now for them to paw through the crusted snow. The natural die off will be severe this winter.:-(

ianwuzhere
02-06-2007, 11:22 PM
What a way to cure the "february blues" i feel as if i christmas is all over again!!!

3kills
02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
i hate work...other wise i would be up there for sure....

The Hermit
02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Oh geesh its just too far to go from the Island when I'd only have a long weekend at best. I would love to take the bow up for a christening!

Jetboat
02-07-2007, 04:19 AM
I would imagine that the local MOE will be getting a flood of calls regarding this so if you call for information, be patient. Just on a side note gents, a lot of this herd reduction will take place in people's bale yards with livestock close at hand. That isn't the place to be dropping the hammer on your shiny new .300 Ultra Mag! Plan accordingly and perhaps it's time to blow the dust off that mild little .250 Savage in the back of your safe ;-) Just a suggestion.

longhairmtnman
02-07-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm definately interested. No meat in my freezer from last year.8) How does this affect our quota's for this year?

GoatGuy
02-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Don't worry Andy Ackerman has been in the area for plenty of time to be carrying more baggage then should be allowed.
The winter here is probaly the worst in 10 years on the animals. Just today I saw both Moose and Deer bleeding around the legs from the icey crust on the deep snow, due to the recent freezing rains. I've been told that it's not much different in the mountains and the Wolves are on a feeding frenzey. Like Jet Boat said these deer will most likely die any way, Moose, Deer and Elk have their heads buried in the farmers hay bales because it's just about impossible now for them to paw through the crusted snow. The natural die off will be severe this winter.:-(

A lot of Andy's ideas never made it past the old guy who's 'brainstorms' include trophy hunting seasons, season dates which purposely kill off resident numbers, participation and seasons (30% in one year) and allocations especially when it comes to sheep. Andy wanted to cut g/os back a lonnnnnnnnnnggggggggg time ago and the kybosh was put on that by Mr.Elliott - who was signing his cheques I have no idea. This is and was the most poorly managed region with the most hairbrain regulations in the Province.

I'm sure things will finally be changing up there and in a big way, especially when it comes to sheep.

Jetboat
02-07-2007, 08:27 AM

This should answer your question, longhair...

Tinney
02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
[quote=GoatGuy]This is and was the most poorly managed region with the most hairbrain regulations in the Province.
[quote]

Cept for all those record shattering bucks that have been coming out of there :roll: :roll: Come on GG there's no need to start this again :eek:

bigwhiteys
02-07-2007, 10:52 AM
$400-+ return trip fuel, 3 nights accom/food, topped off with a wolf or two, Swing by for a bison = priceless

Boxhitch... Be careful with that Bison they are pretty controversial :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Kevin21
02-07-2007, 10:58 AM
well its not on the fish and wildlife website anywhere that I can see

Gateholio
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Man., I am considering it now..seems liek a good way to beat the winter blues!

:)

300WM
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Right on! Plans to head out are already in the works :smile:

Sideofabarn
02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I've got my people working on it as we speak

Mr. Dean
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
well its not on the fish and wildlife website anywhere that I can see

This should help ya.
http://www.gov.bc.ca/bvprd/bc/channel.do?action=ministry&channelID=-8395&navId=NAV_ID_province

Grain fed Mule Deer.
Can't say that I have ever had one.

CNE
02-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm willing to go right now for a few days if someone could point me in the right direction. I need to make a trip up that way anyways but dont know anyone with land there.Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin21
02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
This should help ya.
http://www.gov.bc.ca/bvprd/bc/channel.do?action=ministry&channelID=-8395&navId=NAV_ID_province

Grain fed Mule Deer.
Can't say that I have ever had one.

Sweet thanks!

Tinney
02-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I've got my people working on it as we speak

Give me a call dude! 8)

Mini_Me
02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
This sounds really cool but I can't make it..... but if I hacked in a changed Fort St John to Fort St James that would be a diffrent story:)

Good luck to you guys who are going.

Jetboat
02-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Here's a couple pic's from the neighbourhood an hour ago. Not many deer out as a big snowstorm has started. Saw two big three point bucks but they headed into the bush before I could get their pic...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/IMG_2138.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/IMG_2143.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/IMG_2142.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/IMG_2145.jpg

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Driving 10 to 13 hours to shoot a doe in a hay field does not appeal to me at all.If you cant fill your freezer during the the ''real'' hunting season then your not much of a hunter .:mad:

Browningmirage
02-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Driving 10 to 13 hours to shoot a doe in a hay field does not appeal to me at all.If you cant fill your freezer during the the ''real'' hunting season then your not much of a hunter .:mad:

Dude there may be ethical questions, but id rather see the deer in my freezer rather than dead. Dont forget that winterkill is not nice at all, nature is in now way shape or form cute and cuddly, more often than not, a death in nature is long and sometimes brutal. If the population is too large, and a cull is needed, in reality were preventing a long drawn out death for some of these deer.

Husky7mm
02-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Overpopulated?Im all for a deer cull if they are haveing a hard winter and will become crow bait or wolf glutony, (husky cant spell) but this area has been run all tight ass like "we dont have a deer to spare" I just think sombody owes the meat hunters and young'uns some gas and hotel rembursements from the real hunting season, plus why let these deer make it through the rut and gun them down in the dead of winter?

Browningmirage
02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I am bright enough to know you are a $#%^^^&^ cry baby,that said he was going to leave this site for good because you couldnt stand people picking on you.The only hunting picture I have seen you post is of a very small buck,and a doe with its eye shot out,so its no wonder you are getting a hard on for this new season punk.:mad:

The doe was mine. Tinney was the only one to take me out hunting, and i am happy that he did, i needed the meat, and only 2 other people took me out hunting all season, as a Uni student, i understand the need for meat, and enjoyed every piece i got off the deer. I enjoy the pursuit of deer, especially the ones that put you closer and more personal to the deer, but i am really wondering, why do some poeple seem to like to put others down because they are hunting in a way that suits them, and are not in pursuit of a monster.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I made a comment that shooting a deer in a hayfield out of regular hunting season does not appeal to me ,what you and your friends do is your buisness. I think because you are young the thrill of the kill is exciting ,later on you will find the thrill of the hunt is the satisfying factor.If you want to thin out the deer poulations then you should have an any buck season and a longer doe season during the regular hunting season.If the govt has an open seasn cull on deer without any notice it is because they are mismanaging the resource.

todbartell
02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm sure you'd sing a different tune if you hit a deer with your car :lol:

dana
02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
I personally feel that they are taking a step in the absolute 'WRONG' dirrection with this decision to open the season now. Geeze, 1 buck every 2 years and now kill as many as you like in 2 months? Do you guys really think that the word 'antlerless' means does at this time of year???? You may still be seeing some bucks packin' but many have dropped by now and every day more and more will drop. This is not the way to manage a deer herd. This is actually quite pathetic. I actually question the thought process of those that are thinking of partaking in such an illconceived venture. I'm sure meat of winter stressed animals is just too good to refuse eh? By the time you pay for your gas and lodging, I'm sure you are coming back with a ton of economical meat eh? Why not just go by some grain fed beef and support the farmers that are complaining that the deer are eating their feed?

Browningmirage
02-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I made a comment that shooting a deer in a hayfield out of regular hunting season does not appeal to me ,what you and your friends do is your buisness. I think because you are young the thrill of the kill is exciting ,later on you will find the thrill of the hunt is the satisfying factor.If you want to thin out the deer poulations then you should have an any buck season and a longer doe season during the regular hunting season.If the govt has an open seasn cull on deer without any notice it is because they are mismanaging the resource.

Totally agree, but the government has a history of mismanaging resources. its life that they are dealing with, its hard to accurately count deer, while government makes mistakes (lots i know) i would rather have too few shot in season than too many, too few a populations genetics have no problems recovering, too many, and the genetics get more and more similar. Cruel as winter kill may be, it maintains the evolutionary theory.

I am not so into the kill, i am more into the hunt than anything, especially learning. Right now however, being a university student from the island is costly (near 10,000 a year), and i need all the relatively cheap and good meat i can get.

Kechika
02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I personally feel that they are taking a step in the absolute 'WRONG' dirrection with this decision to open the season now. Geeze, 1 buck every 2 years and now kill as many as you like in 2 months? Do you guys really think that the word 'antlerless' means does at this time of year???? You may still be seeing some bucks packin' but many have dropped by now and every day more and more will drop. This is not the way to manage a deer herd. This is actually quite pathetic. I actually question the thought process of those that are thinking of partaking in such an illconceived venture. I'm sure meat of winter stressed animals is just too good to refuse eh? By the time you pay for your gas and lodging, I'm sure you are coming back with a ton of economical meat eh? Why not just go by some grain fed beef and support the farmers that are complaining that the deer are eating their feed?
Exactly.Somebody aint thinkin.

ruger#1
02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Tinney the provincial bag limit for deer is three (3). not four(4). one thing you have to realize is that there are some game wardens that frequent this and other hunting sites. so be careful of what you say , and read page #16 of the Hunting & Trapping regulations. Just because they open a area for a cull does not mean that you can go over the limit. sorry i didnt read the whole posting . you are allowed two on top of the provincal bag limit.

dana
02-07-2007, 09:10 PM
While I haven't seen the conditions up there this year, I have been hearing the same griping from people all across this province, 'Oh, the winter is soooo bad. The deer are all going to die.' Geeze, all I can say is this winter is a 'NORMAL' winter. I think too many have gotten used to the 'EASY' winters we've been having in this province and have forgotten what a 'NORMAL' winter looks like.

Jetboat
02-07-2007, 09:10 PM
BIGHUNTERFISH, Alberta just recently did the same thing in the Peace region over there. If you don't want to help with the cull, fine. I only ask that you please just STFU (can't think of another way to put it politely :redface: ) rather than troll around trying to instigate others into a completely uncalled for, online debate for the anti's to see. On the other hand, if you'd rather help to reduce the rapidly expanding population that didn't suffer the mortality rates projected by the ministry, please come on up to my place and harvest a couple does for the freezer. I have a guest house available and we can debate as gentlemen over drinks and enjoy a freshly prepared tenderloin at the same time :smile: You also gain the bonus of taking home succulent, tasty, alfalfa fed venison. What do you say?

Rainwater
02-07-2007, 09:13 PM
British Columbians looking after wildlife? Are we gonna start shooting herds of bighorns when they habituated to a farmers field, not likey. In the "old" days we would have tried to help deer at this time of year.

kootenayelkslayer
02-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Three hour drive to shoot a doe in a field?? Sorry, thats not for me guys. I completely understand if people want to go up there to fill some room in the freezer, or perhaps have an itchy trigger finger, but I don't buy it for one second if people are saying they want to go up there with the soul purpose of culling the population. Couldn't the Ministry just wait until next fall to have the hunters do their culling for them?
Sorry Mat, I think it might just be you, Tobey, and the ol' ladies heading up there over 'reading break' haha, i think I'll spend my time trying to stroke some wily coyotes.

GoatGuy
02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Cept for all those record shattering bucks that have been coming out of there :roll: :roll: Come on GG there's no need to start this again :eek:

There have been record shattering bucks coming from all over the province - you should know a bit of that from frequenting this board.

This has been needed and Andy just got given the job - - you'll also see HUGE changes up there when it comes to Elk because it's needed and was managed so poorly in the past.

This is one of the many problems passed down by the old regional to Ackerman - give him a break.

Tinney, PGKris, Kris, whoever you are, I think you take enough self-induced abuse from everyone else; don't go out of your way to stir the pot with me! :lol:

Tinney
02-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I didn't try to.....you're way over my head...lol....I just thought your original statement was a bit off....they've managed for big bucks....and it worked.....everyone knows there were other agendas present....but what came out of it was a surplus of trophy deer....again, I try to stay out of this junk as much as I can.... ;)

dana
02-07-2007, 10:24 PM
GG,
Tell me how This is needed???? We don't have a CWD issue yet they seem to be taking lessens from Sask on this one. Farmers have issues. Yes, that is true. True accross the entire province. Maybe they should plan some seasons out instead of just a knee-jerk response in FEB. Taking the winter and spring to think things through, and re-write the regs from the early summer release probably would make more sense wouldn't it? I don't understand this province. Geeze, the only jurisdiction in North America where Muleys are flourishing and we somehow think this is a Bad thing????

Tinney
02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, dana, to be honest, I don't think too many will fall to hunters.....there isn't much pressure right now....it almost seems to me like they timed it to be as close to the end of the LEH elk draws as possible so there would be less coincidental harvest.....elk hunter show up...shoot elk, go home, not take 2 deer with them..... :-\

dana
02-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Tinney,
Have you not learned anything tonight, like the Power of the Internet??? There will be a ton of guys with nothing else to do but go for a freakin' road trip with their buddies and bring home a truck load of deer, many of which will be bucks and the rest will be pregnant does.

Tinney
02-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I saw only a handful of replies saying so. Most were saying it was too far to go...or like yourself....they siad they didnt agree with it. I don't have a problem with shooting a pregnant doe, but I will be damn sure checking my target to make sure I don't whack a buck

dana
02-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Ahh, you truly do lack wisdom grasshopper. There is this phenomenom known as 'LURKER' that you have not grasped yet.

Tinney
02-07-2007, 10:49 PM
:lol: Very much know that phenom...spend some time on Iceshanty when you're not chasing sheds....we've got a code name for every lake from here to heaven. I can think of 5 guys I told that MIGHT go.

Barracuda
02-07-2007, 10:54 PM
what about a split buck doe season? would that be ok with all you naysayers? :lol:
I could give a rats ass about antlers but i accept that i am in the minority yet i am sure there are others that feel the same way as I.
if there were doe only tags i would get them . I am not the biggest fan of fall seasons that are loaded with hunters. if given the choice between seasons this one actually seems more appealing to me especially in the warmer part of it .

I say to each thier own and as long as it is permitted then people have a right to take advantage of the opening without fear of persacution from closed minded individuals

ianwuzhere
02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
This is actually quite pathetic. I actually question the thought process of those that are thinking of partaking in such an illconceived venture.

Ohh the opinion of one "grasshopper" lol.
Dana i am heading up north to participate in some of this antlerless season. It is going to be great. I will help out some farmers that i know in removing two deer which have contributed to mowing down their hay surplus. As for lodging and food etc- i got a nice warm place to stay thanks to farmers free of charge...:smile:
As for your negative attitude towards this new season and the comments towards Mr Ackerman and other forum members; hmmm lacking wisdom? maybe you are the one lacking the wisdom and towards this phenomenom that you have not grasped yet. :|
To many farmers they do not want herds of animals eating all their hay as if you do not already know many farmers in the region are getting low on their hay storage as this past summer was not the best for hay crops.

I hope to find the largest deer in which i can find!! If you want i might be able to post a picture...:)
To all the people participating in this season Good Luck, safe shooting and have fun!!!
~ianwuzhere~

dana
02-07-2007, 11:15 PM
I have not said anything about Mr. Ackermen. I have only said the policy of opening the season at this point in the ballgame, FEB 1st to whoknowswhen, is an illconcieved kneejerk reaction. Farmers have been bitching for several years. Why now? Why Feb1st? Why just out-of-the-blue? Will we be seeing similiar seasons popping up in the Cariboo? In the Okanagan? In the Thompson? We've got deer, elk and sheep eating farmer's crops all across this province. Maybe we should just have an open season year round and get rid of all the damn wildlife so the farmers can go about their business unharrassed?
Feb 1st to whoknowswhen, geeze that sounds good. Wonder how many of you will enjoy gutting your doe in mid March or whoknowswhen and seeing the twin fawns you've killed too?

Tinney
02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Won't bother me. Have you SEEN the numbers up there dana? It's nowhere near comparable to anywhere else in the province. The sheer numbers are staggering

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-07-2007, 11:30 PM
This is the problem,we went up to Pink Mountain two years ago and shot two moose bulls our first day hunting.The next day we broke camp and drove the 15 hours home ,why? because there was basically nothing else open to hunt.If they have a deer season that coexists with the moose season you would have alot more hunters from diffrent regions hunting the area.They have managed the area for trophy bucks for local hunters,there are very few guys from the coast that will drive all the way to region 7B just for a deer.

Tinney
02-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Exactly. This was discussed, I believe? Open a deer season while the moose gongshow is in progress and the deer population will drop like a friggin rock!

jessbennett
02-07-2007, 11:38 PM
sounds like someone else is whining a lil bit now...................:roll:

~T-BONE~
02-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Partial to the problem is the mad cow epidemic! All the added costs and time farmers have had to introduce then them having to feed the wildlife!
Its no wonder there are bending over for them. Trust me some of the mad cow practices are just ludicrous...

Don't get me wrong as I do not mind the extended season, but just not this late. Hopefully they don't leave the closing date open too long.......... Bigger baglimits (2) in season and leh doe!!!!! See what happens maybe try it every second year! Worth a shot??? Why not?

Tinney
02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Howdy jess :lol: Missed ya for J's b-day...wanted to say hi :lol:

jessbennett
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
um..........hello......shawn???:confused: :cool:

Tinney
02-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Kris....cousin ;)

jessbennett
02-07-2007, 11:55 PM
hows it goin????looks like i might have to go shoot some more deer......

boxhitch
02-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Dana -
FEB 1st to whoknowswhen
the hunt won't go beyond March 15th. Pretty definitive.

Farmers have been bitching for several years. Why now? Why Feb1st? Why just out-of-the-blue?

Why not ? something had to be done, and it is. There will be lots of deer left over.

seeing the twin fawns you've killed too
Lets leave the abortion/right-to-life issue out of this.

All - The hunt is on private land and crown land within 1000 m., obviously to address the issue of an overpopulation of deer habituated to farmlands. There is always bitchin going on in the fall , about how tough it is to get access for hunting, why will it be any different now. There are those owners that will be on side, and those who will still have a locked gate.
I'm willing to bet the harvest won't be over 200 animals. BFD!!

This is an excellent opportunity for some of those less skilled, less experienced, less righteous, (and maybe firearm-challenged :smile: )hunters to get out and harvest some prime venison (better than any beef).

jessbennett
02-08-2007, 12:01 AM
nope i havent talked to him about it yet..... im suppost to come up this weekend to go sledding so i dunno...... give him a call. then im going to be up the weekend after too...... plenty of time to go get my gun off.....hehe

jessbennett
02-08-2007, 12:03 AM
in all honesty,

Tinney
02-08-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm glad you said that boxhitch, because I didn't want to put a number on it, but I figured 300-400 max. I'll give him a shout tomorrow Jess :D

jessbennett
02-08-2007, 12:06 AM
in all honesty, can someone please tell me what the difference is between deer,(pregnant or not), getting hit by cars or being harvested by hunters????:mad: :???: . hey maybe we can make the roads a little safer while rounding up some tender backstraps???8-)

Gateholio
02-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Guys, I locked the thread, deleted a bunch of stupid posts, and reopened it...

Keep the dumb comments to yurself, my fingers are sore from hitting that delete button 30 times...

Discuss the season, discuss the biology, but DON'T condemn anyone that expresses an interest in taking part in the season, as it is LEGAL.

MattB
02-08-2007, 12:49 AM
I bet he's good eating! :)

bwhnter
02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
If any of you guys are coming up and do harvest an "antlerless" deer the MOE is looking to gather the heads to start testing them for CWD. So when you call them to report the location and time of the kill like they want you to let them know that you are willing to drop the head off for testing. They are also looking for cow elk if any of you still have yet to fill your LEH tag. If you are willing to do this please try not to shoot them in the head, apparentley it makes it harder to take a sample. Also the animal has to be at least 1 year old.

willyqbc
02-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Well having had some dealing with farmers from this area I think one of two things is going to happen. either the ministry is going to do something to try and control the populations (or at least appear like they are trying to).....or the farmers will get fed up that nothing is being done to help them and they will start killing them on their property....and make no mistake once they get over the hump of killing the first few and getting away with it....they will kill all they can. I have had farmers tell me with a wink "kill em all...take as many as you want." They are getting fed up and something's gonna happen soon. We have to remember that by in large we are dealing with HUGE losses these farmers are facing, there is WAY more food crops up there than in other parts of the province and when the deer crap in your crop reaches a certain level it is downgraded from "human consumption" to "feed" the price difference between these two grades is substantial and represents a huge loss to the farmer. As far as those who condemn shooting does....as long as the biology supports it and they are being eaten...i say go for it. I myself will be going up to try and make a couple kills with both Bow and Muzzleloader!:)

Chris

Rainwater
02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
We had farmers kill and bury deer on their properties in Region 8, they got busted big time and would hope that good hunters with a concience who knows farmers doing this will drop the dime. I am still confused as to when a resource that we love is in trouble are only solution comes from the end of a gun or bow.Why aren't the BCWF clubs up there putting money forward to buy and disperse hay to help the deer and the farmers. Our local club actually helped a farmer fence his orchard once. We had a wide open Mule Deer Doe season in our area over 30 years ago and it took many, many years to recover from that. I guess as other guys have put it, it's just to far to go, let's hope so.

Marc
02-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Why aren't the BCWF clubs up there putting money forward to buy and disperse hay to help the deer and the farmers.

No Biologist or wildlife organization will consider feeding animals because they may starve from over population, all you're doing is making the problem worst by having more survive the winter to feed again next winter.

Back east we had a couple thousand geese that were starving to death because the marsh they fed on froze over solid. I called ducks unlimited and the CO's and they said not to feed them or next fall the problem would gorw because more would survive the winter and not fly south if someone was going to feed them.

So if you feed the deer they're just going to keep comming every winter to the same place causing the same problems.

Marc.

Husky7mm
02-08-2007, 01:49 PM
I dont actually know Andy to blame him personally especially if he is taking over a mismanaged area, but I am shocked with this choice of management in this area!Harveting does isnt for me but I know its nessacary for a healthy heard.
My issue is...
I know there will be alot of antlerless BUCKS killed.
300 does kill will equal 700-900 real animal buy spring. :-(
They increased antlerlless elk leh here this yr and ******s came in droves. There was flock shooting and cross fire everywhere. Wounded animals showed up for weeks. :mad: I really dont think things were thought out properly!
Justify participating anyway you like this is poor timing!
PS for those going dont forget 1 in the chest and 2 in the stomach, I hate suffering!:evil:

Browningmirage
02-08-2007, 02:45 PM
300 does kill will equal 700-900 real animal buy spring. :-(
Im pretty sure they would have thought of that, youd have to be lower than kindergarten level to have missed that little thing. Whenever a season is open, other things are allowed for as well, numbers lost to poaching, and predators, they are all factored into the equation

Iron-Head
02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
PS for those going dont forget 1 in the chest and 2 in the stomach, I hate suffering!:evil: 2 In the stomach:| I dont know about you but I would never shoot a deer in the stomach by choice, Yuk whut a mess and not to mention the deer will suffer a hell of allot more with holes in its intestines instead of holes in its heart/lungs ect.
Aim for the boiler room, If your not confident of your shot shoot again. But not in the stomach.
Symon

Browningmirage
02-08-2007, 04:04 PM
2 In the stomach:| I dont know about you but I would never shoot a deer in the stomach by choice, Yuk whut a mess and not to mention the deer will suffer a hell of allot more with holes in its intestines instead of holes in its heart/lungs ect.
Aim for the boiler room, If your not confident of your shot shoot again. But not in the stomach.
Symon

Hes talking about the fawns

Rainwater
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Marc, Sorry but we heli-feed the sheep every year in our Valley. We don't get the blessing from MOE but they don't deter us either. We've been doing it for over 20 years and in a harsh winter it means the dif between survival and dying. You cannot compare a goose eating popcorn that migrates thousands of miles to a deer which may migrate anywhere from 15 miles to 1 mile to winter, sorry no comparison. These animals your gonna shoot off a haystack are in survival mode and these farmers just happen to be livin off of their traditional winter range. It's no differant than those sheep you helped transplant feeding on the neighbours lawn, I counted 40 on his lawn one day. If everybody that could afford to go or was that desperate to pull the trigger went up North it could be years before the herd would recover, mark my words. This is the time when conservations stand up for wildlife NOT take advantage of a bad situation for their own personal enjoyment. Marc, re-read some of the posts.

Rainwater
02-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Mark, Sorry but meant to type "conservationists", my bad.

hunter1947
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned the regs for deer were not implemented right over the past years ,the season for deer open way to late and the point restriction should have been dropped ,then they would not be having this problem now. hunter 1947

browningboy
02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I heard there was a good fight here last night, are all the threads erased!:-(

3kills
02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
yes this thread got locked and cleaned up and then reopened for the children to play nice :D

browningboy
02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Damn, I missed it! Thats when it gets good, was it the usual people, no names necessary:lol:

Tinney
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Yep, same ol shit disturbers :lol:

Gateholio
02-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I odnt' think we need 3 threads on the same subject so I am locking this one...