PDA

View Full Version : Solo hunting and my 2013 season

exv
12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
With the end of the 2013 season my freezer is empty .... kinda :mrgreen:. (thank you kind neighbours!!)

First let me start of with saying this is my first hunting season and while i might not have filled a tag, I have found much more enjoyment hunting and being in the mountain than id ever imagine possible. Being in my early 20's and teaching myself how to hunt has been an exciting process, but its no damn surprise why i didn't get anything. Every hunt i came back from without an animal id come back with an infinite times more knowledge. Its incredible how many mistakes and lessons there are the be learned in the woods, be it small or large and in a few cases life threatening. For me personally it is the difference between doing something and talking about it, but this also came with its unique set of challenges. Everything i did was up to me, every hunt was solo. Only once was i ever physically lost, but mentally speaking that wasn't always the case.

Something as small as pushing up a small valley to set-up a spike camp and seeing bear or wolf sign the entire walk in can be quite unsettling when your alone. Over coming these fears was parts of the hunt for me, while some would be correct to call my season a failure for myself it was a huge success. With the 2013 season coming to a cold and unforgettable end the 2014 season is just beginning.

Over the next year i'm looking forward to sharing my adventures and what I've learned along the way, HBC has been an excellent resource and i'm hoping it will continue to do so in the future. With your guys help hopefully next fall ill have a freezer more than half full of salmon and a couple elk steaks :twisted:

vanillagator
12-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey good on you EXV for persevering. It is always unsettling on the nerves for anyone coming across another predators track knowing you will be smack in the middle of it. The night does some creepy things to ones imagination. lol. Shame on anyone that would call you or anyone a failure for putting in the work on a hunt. I used to hunt lots when I was your age, then my work as a fashion photographer gave me the opportunity to see the world for many many years. I missed the outdoors and hunting so being back some years now, I took it up again just this season! I hunted hard! I went off the Island three times to my old hunting grounds on the mainland and to no avail. I then hunted back here on the Island for BT and again I add, I hunted hard! Took one of my younger buds out. He doesn't have his core and cannot carry a gun so we crossed a cougar track, few minutes later I look back on him and there he was with his Swiss Army knife held out in the "don't come any closer position"! I nearly pissed myself. Well, since that track scare, he wont join me anymore. Some minds work that way, fear standing in the way of their desires. You persevered and that is a good position to take not only in hunting but in all aspects of your life. Hunting gives one endless lessons on surviving that we can take into the concrete world we live in. I have a son and that is why I will get him into the bush. It will do him a world of good he can take with him on his path. Our minds are the only thing that stand in the way of our desires. many miles, few big ones seen and so the season ends. Never considered myself a quitter or someone, who just because he's seen the world, has all the answers! Never could stand people like that, so pat yourself on the back for a very well deserved effort and lots of success in the upcoming season!
Weston

quadrakid
12-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Success is measured in memories,not meat. You shall have many great memories with your attitude.

Steelpulse
12-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Never is a walk in the bush a failure or a season a failure everytime your out you learn something about something, every track you see for example goes into helping you determine how fresh the next track you find is, awesome that you have one season done good luck in the off season hunt predators now, learn lots more all year around

two-feet
12-09-2013, 10:28 PM
The beauty is that the fun does not have to end! A wise man once said (probably heard it on this site) "spend 90% of your time looking for a spot to hunt and the rest actually hunting it". Looks like you are a region 4 guy so getting out to the bush for some scouting should not be so hard to do. Pick a couple of spots that showed some sign and put the boots to the ground and get those spots figured out. Find the game trails, rubs and licks, figure out the ridges and draws, try to get a handle on which way the wind blows at what time of day. Plan your ground blinds and pick spots for tree stands. Bring your .22 and take a few hares or pack heavy for wolves.
I have been doing just this in my moose spot and have learned a ton and feel much more confident for the coming season.

kennyj
12-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Sounds like you had an excellent season. Keep at it and you'll bring down the animals.
kenny

swampthing
12-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Solo hunting, although unsettling at times, is very rewarding. When a hunt comes together and an animal is taken, something is learned. It will all come together if you keep at it. My time alone on the mountain is time that I couldn't live without.

exv
12-10-2013, 05:56 PM
thanks guys, a little goes along way. I've got some interesting plans for the future and with a little camera gear (fingers crossed) ill get to bring you along the way. There's going to be a lot of long days and even longer nights, but in the end it will be worth the wait.

Jelvis
12-10-2013, 08:26 PM
When I walk alone with my ott 6, no animal can scare me. I got the firestick and it hits hard BOOM!
Bear, cougar, wolf no prob, butt wait ah, a Grizz track whoa! I lied.
jelly a Horribalisis Grizz scares anyone ..

finngun
12-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Bear, cougar, wolf no prob, butt wait ah, a Grizz track whoa! I lied. i belive yu this time jell-bell:mrgreen:

coach
12-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Awesome post, exv! With your great attitude and dedication to learning you'll have a lifetime of success ahead of you. Looking forward to following your adventures. :-D

davidandandrea
12-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Just started hunting took me three seasons to bag my first animal - but enjoyed the process and learnt a lot along the way

hunter1947
12-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Success to me is not about getting a game animal ,,, success to me is just having my health to be able to get out and walk the hills this is success to me getting an animal is just a bonus to me .

Its nice to hear that you are back into the saddle one again and yes you will get your animals in the future what tops all is just being out in nature at its best ,,nice wright up ,,good luck with all in the years to come..

fearnodeer
12-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Success to me is not about getting a game animal ,,, success to me is just having my health to be able to get out and walk the hills this is success to me getting an animal is just a bonus to me .

Its nice to hear that you are back into the saddle one again and yes you will get your animals in the future what tops all is just being out in nature at its best ,,nice wright up ,,good luck with all in the years to come..

Well said, I have been hunting for years and this year my freezer is empty on game meat but full of Salmon, I spent more time in the bush this year than ever before but still no luck it just happens.

howa1500
12-11-2013, 08:38 AM
I hike with a gun quite often myself ;) only once in awhile do i hunt.......

Rich_D
12-11-2013, 10:50 AM
I found a great recipe for tag soup for my first 2 years of hunting but perseverance pays off and the past 2 years have been fruitful.

I too learn something everything I go out whether I see anything or not. I just wish I was smart enough to implement what I learned because I keep making the same stupid mistakes. Lol

Piperdown
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Sounds like you have it all figured out, your time is near!

bosca
12-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Took me alot longer than you to have the nards to go solo on remote hunts like you are doing so early on. Judging from your attitude and your approach you will have success soon...unless, of coarse, you are holding out for trophy quality... Then your actual kills will be fewer and far between but as many have said 'success' is not neccessarily about kill but about everything in between.
The mountains and wild places you get to know will give you sustenance in more ways than you know.

Seeker
12-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Rich D has a great point, it is one thing to be long time hunter, another to be one that continuosly learns. I have friends that continue to harvest few if any animals and rely on there friends to either take them hunting or give them meat. I am also at fault, I don't know how many times I head out to go hunting to a new spot first thing in the morning only to curse because once again I realize I don't know where the hell I'm going and in the dark this looks nothing like I envisioned it would from google earth. The ability to learn and apply it is an art, some learn fast, others not at all. You are well written and have my interest and I will follow your adventures as you learn. Keep up the good work!

HarryToolips
12-13-2013, 01:57 PM
You gotta good attitude man keep er goin and hike the bush year round I personally love huntin and hikin by myself cause it's quiet and you ain't on no one else's schedule..I've killed more big game by myself than not..

Seeker
12-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Solo hunting is incredible and necessary as we cannot always find someone to hunt with. I love the solitude that comes with being in the outdoors. I also enjoy hunting alone, because as HToolips says

..I've killed more big game by myself than not..
It is way easier to control and hide yourself than it is to hide two or more people. I will never regret the times I hunt alone, but when I look back on my hunting years, the memories I truly cherish are the ones I have shared with others. So find a good mix and make sure you take yer buddies along every now and again! Besides, they make great pack mules:-D

Springer
12-13-2013, 04:25 PM
thanks guys, a little goes along way. I've got some interesting plans for the future and with a little camera gear (fingers crossed) ill get to bring you along the way. There's going to be a lot of long days and even longer nights, but in the end it will be worth the wait.

EXV half the fun is in the learning ...It will happen for you. By the way i believe i have been to that A-frame hut in your avatar!!