PDA

View Full Version : can you legally use corn for bait ice fishing

shed-hunter1
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
ive always been told its not legal to use corn for fishing some members on here said they use it if its legal I would like to use it so weigh in I want to hear your opinions

adriaticum
12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
If that body of water has a bait ban, than you can't.
However, I've never heard of such a ban anywhere.

RINO
12-09-2013, 11:37 AM
I understood that fish can't digest corn and heard it was banned many years ago.. But not sure??

BRvalley
12-09-2013, 11:43 AM
fish can't digest corn, can cause blockages and will increase catch and release mortality

it has been banned and is illegal as bait in some of the states, but not in any Canadian provinces that I am aware of, but I'm most familiar with BC, AB and ON

some regs have bait bans on specific water bodies, but mostly around use of live bait or transporting live/dead organic bait, concerned over spread of invasive species

some regs ban chumming, and corn is a common bait to chum with

but from what I've read, I don't think corn is illegal to use as bait anywhere in BC. would be interested to read where it is banned, if somebody can post those links

Steelpulse
12-09-2013, 11:48 AM
ive always been told its not legal to use corn for fishing some members on here said they use it if its legal I would like to use it so weigh in I want to hear your opinions

I have been told a lot of things by people that are wrong regarding laws and regulations however, all that matters is whats in the regulations, since there is nothing in the regulations, that I have seen, stating that it is illegal to use corn as bait, we will continue to do so unless we have missed it somewhere and someone can post on a link from the regulations here.

adriaticum
12-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Also I've only heard of fishing for carp with corn. Don't know why you would use it.
And also you wouldn't use whole corn kernels. Using polenta (ground corn/ corn meal) is what most carp fishermen use.
When I come to think of it, brvalley must be correct, I think I've caught fish in local lakes with undigested corn in their gut.

ru rancher
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM
it is true fish cannot didgest it but with my understanding only way it causes a blockage is if the fish injest alot of corn not just a couple and thats why it is banned in some states because people where chumming with it and was causeing alot of fish to eat to much thats my understanding anyways never heard anything about it being illegal in bc though

Steelpulse
12-09-2013, 11:57 AM
yep very popular for carp fishing, a single kernel or corn meal in a ball works, but for kokanee fishing we use a whole kernel on a hook because it works so well

Wild one
12-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Yes, you can use corn anywhere bait is allowed.

Corn will not cause blockage in fish or kill them that is an old wise tail. They can pass corn just fine but it provides them with very little nutrition.

A study has been done and the only effect was the trout that were fed nothing but corn were stunted from poor nutrition.

RINO
12-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Corn will not cause blockage in fish or kill them that is an old wise tail. They can pass corn just fine but it provides them with very little nutrition.

A study has been done and the only effect was the trout that were fed nothing but corn were stunted from poor nutrition.

Maybe it's just me that can't digest it.. Quite sure it isn't gold that I've seen down the outhouse hatch!!!:mrgreen:

BRvalley
12-09-2013, 01:51 PM

what study? link to the publication?

yes, poor nutrition, but I assure you it can causes blockages, I've filleted a handful like that...a single kernel won't kill the fish, but perhaps eating a large volume might cause more problems, I've seen it first hand

300H&H
12-09-2013, 03:19 PM
yep very popular for carp fishing, a single kernel or corn meal in a ball works, but for kokanee fishing we use a whole kernel on a hook because it works so well

Me too. Works well for carp.

Wild one
12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
what study? link to the publication?

yes, poor nutrition, but I assure you it can causes blockages, I've filleted a handful like that...a single kernel won't kill the fish, but perhaps eating a large volume might cause more problems, I've seen it first hand

In all honesty I have not read the study first hand but was only told about it from some of the bigger trout farmers in the aquaculture industry.

It was a ? I asked when I got into the industry my self.

One thing I can tell you for a fact is trout will eat and pass rocks a lot larger than corn kernels as I have seen this first hand. This happens often when they aggressively take larva and nymphs off the bottom.

If they can pass rocks larger than marbles I think it would be safe to say they could pass a corn kernel. For this reason I did not ? the farmers who mentioned the study.

B-rad
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Yes u can use corn,,,,,,and true they cannot digest,,,,where the problem lies is when a fisherman chums the hole they are fishing,,,,,large amounts of corn can cause mortality cause of blockages,,,,,very small amounts they usually have no problems passing

Wild one
12-09-2013, 04:13 PM
For those who want info regarding the study on the effects of feeding trout corn.

Bio Tom Bender did the study in 1992 at spring fish research station. I would link it but I am not good with computers.

tadpole
12-09-2013, 04:43 PM

I just add that this study was done at University of Alberta about 12 years ago.

BRvalley
12-10-2013, 08:54 PM
In all honesty I have not read the study first hand but was only told about it from some of the bigger trout farmers in the aquaculture industry.

It was a ? I asked when I got into the industry my self.

One thing I can tell you for a fact is trout will eat and pass rocks a lot larger than corn kernels as I have seen this first hand. This happens often when they aggressively take larva and nymphs off the bottom.

If they can pass rocks larger than marbles I think it would be safe to say they could pass a corn kernel. For this reason I did not ? the farmers who mentioned the study.

I only questioned because I'm only familiar with one study, 1992, 54 days and they fed corn and pellets to a very small sample size of 8" stockers in separate tanks, I've never been able to find the full study, just a several paragraph summary online.

It was discussed a few times at my old fly fishing club and the criticism was a mature 20 plus inch trout can consume more than an 8" stocker, so the more corn the more chance of causing problems. There was a locally stocked lake that had a trout derby every spring and naturally the fly guys argued with the bait guys, mostly over chumming with corn LOL

I don't think corn is a death sentence to a trout but I'm familiar with guys dumping 5-10 kg bags of corn down the hole over the course of a wknd ice fishing, and not uncommon to see trout on the camera gorging themselves, I can't quantify that volume, but I think it's logical to assume a mature trout can eat much more than a dinky stocker in one sitting.

There's not much info on the 1992 study, so I do question the choice of 8" stockers and the amount of corn they were fed.

The trout I filleted with a build up/blockage, in his guts was still alive obviously, but sure didn't look healthy, maybe he would've worked the kernels out in time, but I don't think it was likely in his case

I've also filleted fish with cigarette butts in their intestine, and have caught bass and pike with plastic worms half hanging out their ass, some healthier looking than others. I'm a bit on the fence, but tend to believe if trout can't digest the corn, then it must cause some issues.

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

Corn for Bait – Chumming

Question

During the last few years, I have seen more and more people using corn for bait. But it seems as if they are now being so bold as to sow the stream with handfuls at a time before casting their lines. I have always had the understanding corn cannot be digested by the trout and they would die from ingesting it. If this is the case, is it illegal to sow corn?

Answer

Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.

You also asked about the practice of anglers using handfuls of corn to attract fish - a practice sometimes called "chumming." For waters managed under statewide regulations, chumming with corn or other bait to attract fish would be considered a legal practice, providing that anglers don't get carried away and liberally coat the bottom of the stream with corn. If this were the case, then it could be considered littering. The Commission does not recommend chumming.

BRvalley
12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
tadpole - any chance you got a link to that? a second study 12 yrs ago?

Jelvis
12-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Can you use any kind, cuz I like the Jolly Green Giant kind?
Jelly -- what about pop corn is that ok, Movie Theater Butter kind?

Sofa King
12-10-2013, 09:12 PM
I always have a couple bottles of this in my boat.
in green and pink.
this shit is awesome.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-Z36aV8wmzp8KhLkxxviqByQO77FJGOuO43M7qdx618qv8qE_rQ (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=WEMM0lZNS7FIbM&tbnid=1KP5FP1IiYFYfM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boaterbarn.com%2Fpautzke_bait _pfcorn_org_fire_48024_prd1.htm&ei=COanUurBJYP7oAT834FY&bvm=bv.57799294,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNGHryIzwLgWPm8uFVQ890I3TKNBTg&ust=1386821478982991)

Jelvis
12-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Macaroni in the curl type is what Kamloops fishers are using in White Lake ice fishing
Cook it half raw and on the hook, and by the time it sinks BAM!
Jelly mack a rooni -- is dat cool or not?

frenchbar
12-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Can you use any kind, cuz I like the Jolly Green Giant kind?
Jelly -- what about pop corn is that ok, Movie Theater Butter kind?
cream corn creams the rainbows ...jellycreamcorn...and the fish dont care ...

BCrams
12-10-2013, 09:22 PM
These kokes certainly didn't disagree with corn. Fast action getting this limit in just over an hour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/photo_zpsce656574.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/photo_zpsce656574.jpg.html)

(10 fish limit in case those were wondering)

BRvalley
12-10-2013, 09:27 PM
that's some wicked action right there, that kid looks pretty happy!

have you guys tried the powerbait trout goop? works awesome, just need a tiny bit on the hook

TexasWalker
12-10-2013, 09:36 PM
yes...............

frenchbar
12-10-2013, 09:38 PM
will they bite peas and carrots ....

Jelvis
12-10-2013, 09:41 PM
I was thinkin maybe broccoli because no one in the house eats it anyways yah know whad I mean? Instead of throwing it out in the garbage, use it for ice fishing.
Jel -- is that legal or just wouldn't work anyways?

Wild one
12-10-2013, 09:49 PM
If you guys are targeting stocked fish try little cocktail shrimp I know my trout will eat them when they turn down everything else. Used it in other stocked lakes with kids and it works great

sawmill
12-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I you want to chum use crushed white eggshells.They don`t eat them but they come over to see what all the stuff on the bottom is.As a bonus they make it a lot easier to see the bottom of the lake in 15 feet of water.I use them all the time,really helps to spot fish.

adriaticum
12-11-2013, 11:59 AM
These kokes certainly didn't disagree with corn. Fast action getting this limit in just over an hour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/photo_zpsce656574.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/photo_zpsce656574.jpg.html)

(10 fish limit in case those were wondering)

Wow who would have thunk!
Nice going!

Timbow
12-11-2013, 02:53 PM
We use white shoepeg corn for kokanee around here. We dye it in multiple colors as it sits in a brine of attractant.

Steelpulse
12-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Yep the brines are good we marinate our corn multiple colours

6.5x55
12-11-2013, 08:56 PM
did the study check the trout for hemorrhoids ?

RINO
12-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Charlie only goes for Wild Asparagus .. He seems to be quite a "Finicky" Tuna...

Blktail
12-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Is chumming not illegal?

GoatGuy
12-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Isn't chumming illegal?

correct, sir.

edited your post a wee bit, 'not illegal'

TPK
12-16-2013, 09:43 AM
While not illegal .. it does pose a problem for fish and the CO's I know will tell you that and "suggest" you not use it or at the very least, do so with the knowledge it is harmful to fish and don't toss the unused kernels into the water when you're done. If you "must" use it, take home what you don't use.

Blktail
12-16-2013, 10:43 PM
So is chumming with corn or fish eggs or what ever illegal or not?

Sofa King
12-16-2013, 10:52 PM
While not illegal .. it does pose a problem for fish and the CO's I know will tell you that and "suggest" you not use it or at the very least, do so with the knowledge it is harmful to fish and don't toss the unused kernels into the water when you're done. If you "must" use it, take home what you don't use.

a CO can get bent for "suggesting" one not to use it.
it's legal!!
surely they have more to keep them busy than "suggesting" people not fish legally.
after all, aren't they short-staffed?

GoatGuy
12-16-2013, 11:02 PM
So is chumming with corn or fish eggs or what ever illegal or not?

chumming is illegal...........

TPK
12-17-2013, 11:21 AM
a CO can get bent for "suggesting" one not to use it.
it's legal!!
surely they have more to keep them busy than "suggesting" people not fish legally.
after all, aren't they short-staffed?

Come on Duallie .. give your head a shake ..EVERYONE acknowledges that corn is NOT GOOD for fish, they can not digest it. Why would a CO (now think about their job and their passion) turn a blind eye to people causing a problem. Yes, it's legal, BUT it's not good for the fish so they EDUCATE people about this and ask they use corn responsibly IF they still insist on using at all. Thumb your nose at the facts and continue as you like but really, trying to call out the CO's for pointing out a problem is a tad goofy .. even for you.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Come on Duallie .. give your head a shake ..EVERYONE acknowledges that corn is NOT GOOD for fish, they can not digest it. Why would a CO (now think about their job and their passion) turn a blind eye to people causing a problem. Yes, it's legal, BUT it's not good for the fish so they EDUCATE people about this and ask they use corn responsibly IF they still insist on using at all. Thumb your nose at the facts and continue as you like but really, trying to call out the CO's for pointing out a problem is a tad goofy .. even for you.

Did some researching yesterday but came up empty regarding corn being back for trout. Most articles said that "their" research also came up empty.
I'll still keep looking.

Edit..here's Brian Chan of Go Fish BC promoting ice fishing. He's instructed to use corn and krill for bait. If corn was bad for trout, I would think Brian would know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LrDp36pRU