PDA

View Full Version : Guide schools

ryanshaw44
12-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Don't know if this is the appropriate place but can anyone recommend a hunting guide school? I've looked some up in bc and yukon but would like some opinion from ppl on here.

cheers
ryan

Weatherby Fan
12-09-2013, 08:49 AM
If you type in Guide Schools in forum search there is three threads with some great info and advice about schools and getting into or becoming a guide.

proguide66
12-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Don't know if this is the appropriate place but can anyone recommend a hunting guide school? I've looked some up in bc and yukon but would like some opinion from ppl on here.

cheers
ryan

You will be much better off to pick a few outfits with great reps and bug em for a job . Hopefully an outfit which has a long time owner with some experienced staff . It will also be a quicker route to becoming a guide .

hellojello74
12-09-2013, 05:45 PM
You will be much better off to pick a few outfits with great reps and bug em for a job . Hopefully an outfit which has a long time owner with some experienced staff . It will also be a quicker route to becoming a guide .

Bingo, most of the time you will need to work your way up but if you know your way around it won't take too long. But it also allows them to teach you how use horses and such.

When I started Uni, I just emailed a bunch of outfits with some background (most couldn't care less to see a resume for bush work) and had a few offers, worked out great. It opens up a whole new adventure.

Key is to try to find the outfitts that have had consistent operations or are at least bigger than a few guides.

.330 Dakota
12-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Stan at Blue Creek Outfitters in McBride now puts on a guiding course,,teach most of the basics. 250-569-7575

~T-BONE~
12-09-2013, 06:13 PM
No training like on the job training. As long as you have some good hunting experience and are strong minded you should do great! Like said^^ just hound a few outfits!

Harv
12-09-2013, 06:25 PM
i took the one in smithers bc back in 09 put on by northwest community college and it was great, its 30 days long and mainly to do with horses and a bit of other stuff. that being said i was the only hunter there. they do spend some time doing the core course and PAL course, which i already had so that part was boring, but the rest was alot of fun. if you show interest and do well, they do their best to line you up with a job, but chances are unless you are an experienced hunter you won't be guiding right away and wont make much money

Avalanche123
12-09-2013, 06:33 PM
I find it really interesting that my work in the mountains in the winter time has required me to possess various levels of certification yet to become a hunting guide, there are no certifications, other than the assistant guide licence the outfitter has to purchase for you. As others said, as long as you have hunting experience and people skills, you should be able to find work. Cooking is a definite asset too as is horse experience if your outfitter uses horses.

ryanshaw44
12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys . I guess growing up an a ranch might pay off.

saddlemaker
12-09-2013, 07:44 PM
http://www.bcguidetraining.ca Getting a foundation before you ask for a job is a big plus.

Sitkaspruce
12-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Yup that is what I did, just sent out some letters and talked about what I had to offer. Soon had a couple offers and took one, did 13 years as a guide with the same company....most fun I had making money.

Cheers

SS

boxhitch
12-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys . I guess growing up an a ranch might pay off.That will get you hired , even if you don't know what a moose looks like .
Not many new-hires with horse experience any more.

Avalanche123
12-10-2013, 07:31 AM
I agree with BoxHitch plus the fact people that who grew up on a ranch have a very good work ethic by nature. You will do just fine.