PDA

View Full Version : closest ice fishing to the lower mainland

Vancouver1234
12-08-2013, 09:53 PM
hey everyone, i have never ice fished before and i am super eager to get out there and give it a go this year! i dont want to travel too far, i have heard of people doing it in pemberton, and whistler, does anyone do it in squamish? is it safe enough. Also if anyone has any ice fishing tips that would be sweet!

thanks!!

TheProvider
12-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Blackwater lake out towards D'Arcy. Misquito lake closer to Pembie. Lucille lake can be good if there is good ice. Right at the elevation where the ice can melt or form very fast. I have ice fished it with great success and I also went through the ice twice. Check the ice close to shore and drill test holes every few feet out. Dont just walk out.

If your heading up to Pem ie stop in at Spud Valley. The guys will fill you in on the most active areas and also help you out with tackle.

Steelpulse
12-09-2013, 11:53 AM
kamloop's has amazing fishing, lots of lakes are frozen, 4 hours though
tips,
dress warm, dont forget a ice scoop,

Vancouver1234
12-09-2013, 08:42 PM
awsome thanks! when is lake lucille usually close to frozen enough to give it a go? i was thinking over my xmas holidays i wanted to check it out. As for technique from what i hear just a tiny bit of weight and a small spoon and a worm or shrimp?? also is it neccessary to use an ice auger or could you safely use a hatchet?

shadowhunter
12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
awsome thanks! when is lake lucille usually close to frozen enough to give it a go? i was thinking over my xmas holidays i wanted to check it out. As for technique from what i hear just a tiny bit of weight and a small spoon and a worm or shrimp?? also is it neccessary to use an ice auger or could you safely use a hatchet?

Ive always found an auger way easier as you can get wet/cold using a hatchet, its just a big mess.

BCMarc
12-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Ive always found an auger way easier as you can get wet/cold using a hatchet, its just a big mess.

Agreed. An auger will take about a minute tops to get through a foot of ice with a nice, clean hole. And dry. I've never bothered with a hatchet, but that seems like a messy experience. Picked up a 6" diameter auger at Surplus Herbies last week for about $50.

Ice scoop is a must, particularly in cold weather. Have mostly hit up Tunkwa and Leighton with varying degrees of success. If you've got a quad or sled it sure makes trying all areas of a lake a better experieNce.