PDA

View Full Version : Trapping... Is there enough interest.

Doublelung
12-08-2013, 08:37 PM
I was wondering is there enough interest on here for us( the user) to get a forum for trapping? Who would we talk to? Would it generate enough interest to warrant it's place. I just find it difficult to locate all the trapping talk. A search returns different results each time. Has it been tried before? Any ideas there people?

adriaticum
12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Even if there is not a lot of interest at the moment, creating a forum for it is a good idea I think.

Jelvis
12-08-2013, 08:43 PM
---------------------------

ru rancher
12-08-2013, 08:51 PM
id like there to be one they do have a bc trapping sight very similar to this one that you can go to

LBM
12-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't work in BC with the sensitive people living here, soon as they saw the animal in a trap it would be phoned into SPCA and others.
That's why it's not promoted in BC imho.
No one wants to see a bobcat in a leg hold trap or a fox in a snare being choked to death.
Maybe the odd person but not most, this is my opinion and that's all.
Jel .. even a sand trap no one wants to see, if your a golfer .. lol ..
Maybe way up in Tumbler Ridge way out of town where no domestic dogs and cats are
Might work if it's wild area away from the hick town.

even a sand trap, now that's funny

Wild one
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't work in BC with the sensitive people living here, soon as they saw the animal in a trap it would be phoned into SPCA and others.
No one wants to see a bobcat in a leg hold trap or a fox in a snare being choked to death.

:roll: Some times you should just step away from the computer when you don't understand something Jelvis.

I think you would see some interest in a trapping section on HBC. It is common on many other hunting forums to have a trapping section. I know there is more than a few trappers drifting around here and the subject does come up.

The Dawg
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Yup. Id be interested.

Jelvis
12-08-2013, 09:00 PM
With pictures of trapped animules or censored? Let's hear it.
Or just chewin the fat?
Jelly -- Leg holds or conibear? -- I need insight for some foresight any hindsight?

ru rancher
12-08-2013, 09:03 PM
ummm jelvis there are trapping pictures already on here and no one is raising any trouble

REMINGTON JIM
12-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Yup - a trapping for Rum for sure would be Great ! :wink: RJM

Salty
12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
caught in a trap..... can't walk out.... becau

RiverOtter
12-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Maybe way up in Tumbler Ridge way out of town where no domestic dogs and cats are
Might work if it's wild area away from the hick town.

:roll: Some times you should just step away from the computer when you don't understand something Jelvis.

X2......

You should really educate yourself on modern trapping Jelly, it'd be very enlightening.
First tidbit for ya, there's no such thing as "Leg Holds", they are FOOT holds and there is a good reason for that.......

Jelvis
12-08-2013, 09:31 PM
No problem I trapped when young too so no big deal for me.
Now you need trapping line and that's hard to get.
I know some trappers in Kamloops who live on the rez, they have the trap line here.
They teach it also. Can't tell you who anyways cuz I dint ask them for permission.

BlacktailStalker
12-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Good idea. I'll mention it in the Mod forum.

howa1500
12-08-2013, 09:45 PM
If you can't handle the leg hold, don't go walking through a trapping post....

Jelvis
12-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Jelvis is now "Banned" for not compromising his opinion ... so go ahead full steam boys

markomoose
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Ya for sure keep sending those trapping stories and photos.i ,m luvin it !!

The Dawg
12-08-2013, 10:09 PM
You don't need a line either Jelly.

Just permission on private land

RiverOtter
12-08-2013, 10:13 PM
If you can't handle the leg hold, don't go walking through a trapping post....

I'm the last person who'd object to traps or trapping, as I'm a trapper and own a line. I do however take exception to uneducated descriptions, as they do the trapping community no favours.

decker9
12-08-2013, 10:18 PM
I'd love to see a trapping page! I think there's alot more people trapping then what we see. I'm constantly searching the net looking for tips and tricks. The problem is those tips and tricks change alot province to province, country to country. It would be cool to hear and share tips and tricks other fellow BC folk!
Not to mention, there's alot of good stories and tales that come from the trapline! Would make for a good section, IMO.

adriaticum
12-08-2013, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUTkZ63dHiY

hunter1947
12-09-2013, 06:44 AM
I talked to an old trapper yesterday he is 81 years old still has his trap line and still is out there by himself trapping ,,he told me that there is very little interest in trapping the past years ,,he thinks that its because of lack of interest..

trapman
12-09-2013, 09:02 AM
I know of 8 or 9 trappers on the site ,It would give all of us something new to look at after hunting season has come and gone

Ozone
12-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Who would we talk to?

Send the site owner Marc a message.

Wild one
12-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I talked to an old trapper yesterday he is 81 years old still has his trap line and still is out there by himself trapping ,,he told me that there is very little interest in trapping the past years ,,he thinks that its because of lack of interest..

There is at least 20+ people taking the course every year here in region 2 alone and I know there is 60+ licensed trappers registered in the region 2 trapping local. With a lack of a mentor and available trap lines yes many do not continue do to frustration. I would not agree at all with lack of interest but with a lot of the barriers new trappers face it makes it tough for many to get started.

I just sold my line and can tell you I had a min of 5 new people interested in the line a week well it was up for sale.

We heard the same response with the MOE till we put the bio in a meeting in a crowded room with trappers.

I find many of the old trappers are not in touch with the new ones trying to get started.

two-feet
12-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I am all for it. And if any of you region 6 trappers would care to take a guy out on your line for a bit of mentoring send me a pm. I sent an email to the BCTA regarding the same but had no response.

scubahunter
12-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I had a line years ago when living in northern Manitoba , like hunting it got me out in the wood's year round , I really knew my area , I think it would be good to have a forum set up and to hear from trappers .

emerson
12-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I am interested too.

hare_assassin
12-09-2013, 11:19 AM
I know of 8 or 9 trappers on the site ,It would give all of us something new to look at after hunting season has come and gone

For some of us, hunting season lasts nearly all year. ;)

ru rancher
12-09-2013, 11:59 AM
For some of us, hunting season lasts nearly all year. ;)
hahah isnt that the truth i wont go more then a week with out going out and hunting something summer i pass the time with plinking gophers

adriaticum
12-09-2013, 01:29 PM
This guy's Youtube channel is very educational

http://www.youtube.com/user/5911ryan

hunter1947
12-09-2013, 01:47 PM
There is at least 20+ people taking the course every year here in region 2 alone and I know there is 60+ licensed trappers registered in the region 2 trapping local. With a lack of a mentor and available trap lines yes many do not continue do to frustration. I would not agree at all with lack of interest but with a lot of the barriers new trappers face it makes it tough for many to get started.

I just sold my line and can tell you I had a min of 5 new people interested in the line a week well it was up for sale.

We heard the same response with the MOE till we put the bio in a meeting in a crowded room with trappers.

I find many of the old trappers are not in touch with the new ones trying to get started.

I hear you but tell me how many new recruits will make use of there trapping certificate number ??? how many will perches a trap line ???? or private property trapping ??? I have had my papers now for 14 years still no luck finding a person that will allow me to trap on there land..

Yes people are interested in perching a trap line there really are not that many out there I would like to know how many registered trappers with there papers how many trap lines are available I think it would shock us if we found out the percentage trap lines verses trappers..

This old trapper has had a trap line all his years I am just saying the words come from his mouth not mine he lives on Vancouver island for the last 20 years the central part of the island ..

Mathil
12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
It's definitely a lot more specialized than hunting, and therefore has a lower following. It is, however, legal and should get its own forum, so long as the site owner doesn't mind the risk of the ire of the furbies out there!

i don't trap, and may not get the opportunity my whole life, but I'd sure read that forum and learn!

hunter1947
12-09-2013, 01:59 PM
I was wondering is there enough interest on here for us( the user) to get a forum for trapping? Who would we talk to? Would it generate enough interest to warrant it's place. I just find it difficult to locate all the trapping talk. A search returns different results each time. Has it been tried before? Any ideas there people?

The big man up top is the person to talk to Marc..

Wild one
12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I hear you but tell me how many new recruits will make use of there trapping certificate number ??? how many will perches a trap line ???? or private property trapping ??? I have had my papers now for 14 years still no luck finding a person that will allow me to trap on there land..

Yes people are interested in perching a trap line there really are not that many out there I would like to know how many registered trappers with there papers how many trap lines are available I think it would shock us if we found out..

Finding a trapline is a mess in BC no doubt. Lots of lines out there not being trapped that should be in the hands of trappers. I could get into this mess but lets not fill this thread with it. I don't know all the regions but you will be lucky to find 12 active lines in region 2 and this is not from lack of interest

As for finding private land to trap I am surprised you are having an issue I have never really looked hard and had people actually come find me to trap problem animals. With the problems beavers, muskrat, coon, coyote and wolf cause most guys I know willing to trap private land have places to trap. I know a lot of guys who only trap private land. Getting to know CO's helps

It should be easier for you than us region 2 trappers

There is a large number of those who only want to trap a line and I would say these are the main ones that do not get trapping. This is where miss management of BC's trapline system is a major issue.

There are tricks to finding lines if you are willing to put in the work I have personally helped 5 different trappers successfully find one in the last 2 years. But if you want to cherry pick an area and stay close to home it is not easy. It took me 4 years of searching really hard before I started figuring thins out

I don't argue the amount of people who have the course and do not trap but it is not from lack of interest.

Doublelung
12-09-2013, 07:04 PM
It isn't for the faint of heart. It's a tough go at the best of times but it keeps you out in the bush. Nobody claims it's easy. I got luck and had an amazing teacher. Not often in this live you cross paths with somebody that holds so much knowledge. I do think be will be amazed with how many lines are active. Yes there are inactive lines but there also a lot in uses. My understanding is region 1 is being audited this year. Of all the lines that are in and around my area I know of only one that's not active. We will have to see what the ministry comes up with.

thunderheart
12-09-2013, 07:47 PM
at least there is a thread

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?102011-trapping-stories-and-pix-and-updates-2013

Hunter325
12-09-2013, 09:47 PM
I'd be interested in a trapping section as well. As I am a trapper as well and started when I was 9 which was about 11 years ago. I trap my dads line with my dad when ever he gets out but mainly me and my brother trap it. I also film my trap checking and have a few videos on youtube.

Elkiller
12-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Hahaha I haven't heard that song in a long time!

B-rad
12-09-2013, 10:04 PM
As dumb as it sounds,,,,I think should be a forum on air guns also,,,,becoming a huuuuuge sport

Papa Sasquatch
12-09-2013, 10:23 PM
As dumb as it sounds,,,,I think should be a forum on air guns also,,,,becoming a huuuuuge sport
Why not look at Air guitar success!

Pete
12-09-2013, 10:30 PM
No problem I trapped when young too so no big deal for me.
Now you need trapping line and that's hard to get.
I know some trappers in Kamloops who live on the rez, they have the trap line here.
They teach it also. Can't tell you who anyways cuz I dint ask them for permission.

I am not aware of any individuals on or off the Rez in Kamloops who are certified to instruct the BC Trapper
Ed course. There are instructors in Vernon and Kelowna

boxhitch
12-09-2013, 10:30 PM
BCTA has a forum already , and the activity is virtually non-existent , but kudos to Trapp for trying.
More action on Canadian trapper trapper.ca , lots of BC posters there.

Open chat has lots of room for trappers to post now , and it isn't happening .

Pete
12-09-2013, 10:33 PM
If you are looking for a trapper website go to the Canadian National Trappers Alliance CNTA...many of the trappers that are on this site are also members there.

decker9
12-09-2013, 11:28 PM
BCTA has a forum already , and the activity is virtually non-existent , but kudos to Trapp for trying.

X2. CTT has a ton of good info, for anyone looking for a trapping forum and wanting to learn. Still would rather see a section on hbc tho!!

hunter1947
12-10-2013, 04:44 AM
If you are looking for a trapper website go to the Canadian National Trappers Alliance CNTA...many of the trappers that are on this site are also members there.

Thanks Pete for this input..

hunter1947
12-10-2013, 08:21 AM
The old trapper told me that there are many people that get there trapping L when it comes to skinning beaver etc they have difficulty doing this throws them off doing the hard part they get discouraged he said trapping is the easy part its the skinning that people have problems with he said not all have this problem..

Wild one
12-10-2013, 09:36 AM
It isn't for the faint of heart. It's a tough go at the best of times but it keeps you out in the bush. Nobody claims it's easy. I got luck and had an amazing teacher. Not often in this live you cross paths with somebody that holds so much knowledge. I do think be will be amazed with how many lines are active. Yes there are inactive lines but there also a lot in uses. My understanding is region 1 is being audited this year. Of all the lines that are in and around my area I know of only one that's not active. We will have to see what the ministry comes up with.

I would say the issues with traplines do really vary depending on the region some yes there is a good amount of active lines others there is a good number sitting in limbo

Wild one
12-10-2013, 09:39 AM

My guess why the BCTA trapping forum is so slow is the need to be a member of the BCTA to access a good portion of the forum is part of the reason.

Canadian trappers.ca is more active no doubt

Wild one
12-10-2013, 09:45 AM
The old trapper told me that there are many people that get there trapping L when it comes to skinning beaver etc they have difficulty doing this throws them off doing the hard part they get discouraged he said trapping is the easy part its the skinning that people have problems with he said not all have this problem..

This is where the lack of a mentor is a problem but some just get discouraged by hard work.

I have mentioned to the BCTA that some sort of mentor program would help. The skills involved in trapping are harder to pick up all on your own. You do need to be stubborn and keep at to improve regardless if you have a mentor or not as you only improve by just doing it.

Ponderosa
12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
i would love to see a tapping page on here. I want to get my trapping license, have been trying for the last 3 years, but the course is offered in Dawson so by the time I pay the over $400 for the course, hotel for 2 nights and food, it is expensive!! plus I have to get a sitter for my children for the 3 days that the course runs. Hopefully if will work out for me this winter.

knighthunter
12-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Someone told me they took a trapping course down here in the LML a couple of year's ago. I'll try to remember who it was.

Pete
12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I am an instructor for the BCTA I normally run 2-5 courses per year. Course are 3 days part of which is in the field ....There is a written test as well as a practical test... it is mandatory that each student skin there own piece of fur, Squirrel-muskrat e.g. as well they must participate in skinning, fleshing and boarding a beaver. they are also required to work on fleshing a coyote and depending on the area a raccoon. There are demonstrations on muskrat, mink and martin. there is also trap setting and snare setting and construction. upon successful completion you will get an ATN ( Assigned Trapper Number) which will allow you to get a trapping license

decker9
12-11-2013, 06:21 PM

Just a thought. If any of the active trappers on here are interested in mentoring new upcoming trappers, even just a trip or 2 on the line, maybe post your general area and if your willing to take a new guy along? it may give the new trappers an idea of what their getting into? I take a few people every season from around home here, but from reading this thread, it sounds like there's alot of interest.

Not sure if this would be the place to post, but if there is anyone around the 6-04 area that would like to take a trip on a trapline, or that's wanting to learn how to skin and board a few critters, I'm more then happy to take a eager willing to learn type of fellow along. I'm just a small time trapper, but experience is experience!! At least it would give the new trapper an idea of what trappings about, and from there they can decide if its something that they would want to pursue. Cheers!

BlacktailStalker
12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Ok guys Marc is ridiculously busy right now but when he has a chance he is going to look into firing up a dedicated trapping section, likely one for buy/sell of equip (or trap lines) and one for anything trapping related pics/tales/education/gear talk etc.

RiverOtter
12-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Ok guys Marc is ridiculously busy right now but when he has a chance he is going to look into firing up a dedicated trapping section, likely one for buy/sell of equip (or trap lines) and one for anything trapping related pics/tales/education/gear talk etc.

That sounds great. I'm thinking with all the traffic that this site gets already, a trapping forum should get quite a bit of activity; More so than a dedicated trapping site that is only trapping.

IslandmanDan
12-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Yup. Id be interested.
Yup, me too! Just sayin.....

Doublelung
12-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Great news!! I will have to make a special effort to contribute.

hunter1947
12-12-2013, 05:56 AM

This will be good thing ,,,thanks big man for getting in touch with Marc..

Wild one
12-12-2013, 08:48 AM
I am an instructor for the BCTA I normally run 2-5 courses per year. Course are 3 days part of which is in the field ....There is a written test as well as a practical test... it is mandatory that each student skin there own piece of fur, Squirrel-muskrat e.g. as well they must participate in skinning, fleshing and boarding a beaver. they are also required to work on fleshing a coyote and depending on the area a raccoon. There are demonstrations on muskrat, mink and martin. there is also trap setting and snare setting and construction. upon successful completion you will get an ATN ( Assigned Trapper Number) which will allow you to get a trapping license

I have heard you put on a great course and it sounds a lot more in depth than when I took mine.