PDA

View Full Version : caribou hunting

slim
12-07-2013, 11:19 PM
My brother in law and I have been talking about doing a caribou hunt(either fly in or hike in) but are kind of stumped on where to go. does anyone have any suggestions? which region and mu would be the better bet?
you can pm me if you don't want anyone else to know.

Cordillera
12-08-2013, 07:56 PM
If you want to hike in there are caribou off the alaska highway near muncho and stone mountain parks. Thin populations but they are there. Same up highway 37 where caribou are occasionally shot near gnat pass or if you hike hard northwest of the outlet of dease lake. Used to be lots up the kemess mine road but im nto familiar more recently. However these areas all see pressure and success is better if you fly in. Spatsizi has many, northwest of dease lake is good, edziza has a nice population but a tough hike (leh only) or the headwaters of the Ketchika. I don't know the east slopes but there are caribou there too.

markomoose
12-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Could try level mountain outta dease lake.it,s a fly in but pretty reasonable.my buddy did well there 2 years ago.i got pics if i ever figure out how to do it.help anyone??

srupp
12-08-2013, 11:13 PM
hmmm depends on what you want to do..trophy hunt or just any legal bull??there are some places that hold more than their fair share of big bulls...have several areas of each...

steven

coach
12-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Could try level mountain outta dease lake.it,s a fly in but pretty reasonable.my buddy did well there 2 years ago.i got pics if i ever figure out how to do it.help anyone??

My signature line has all the directions you need.

srupp
12-09-2013, 06:47 PM
if you need specific suggestions please call...

cheers

Steven

mfarrally
12-09-2013, 08:03 PM
My suggestion is to go buy some maps and look for some lakes that might have easier access to some higher country above the tree line. People love telling others where to go on this website and 90% of the time have never been there themselves. And when you find that good spot, keep it to yourself or that good spot will eventually be like level mountain, a shadow of its former self. Just my opinion.

3mk
12-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Summit lake on the Alaska. Just before the lake there is a trail that go to a microwave tower I think its roughly 18 km to the tower don't worry you don't need to go that far. Got a good lesson from there too

Mik
12-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Sounds like mfarrelly has been bitten before.... Well here's another point of view, there are others out there that hunt an area for between 3-5 years then move on to bigger better ideas or to change it up in pursuit of other game. Sooooo not all info is bad info. Having said that ...PM sent :)

ryanb
12-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Almost any lake west of the Kechika, North of the Stikine and East of the coast range with ready access to Alpine ought to get you into good caribou. Some are better than others... Short flights usually mean more pressure. Long flight less pressure. Consult the record books for lakes that figure prominently.

slim
12-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate the input.