PDA

View Full Version : First season done, tag soup, reccomendations.

ducktoller
12-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I know the season still has a week left, but I won't be able to get out again. Did some spot and stalk, some still hunting,
Had put off grouse to focus on watching for deer, on my way out today I finally gave in to the grouse only to have him fly off as my scope settled on him :( Basically ended the same way my season started, id'ing a whitetail doe just before it bolted.

Biggest mistake (unavoidable) was not having started until hunting season itself, didn't get to scout this past spring. Plan to do some hiking for sheds, and to better learn the lay of the land where I plan to go.

Not asking for any honeyholes (as a few members pointed me good places where I had my best chance but didn;t connect) but can anyone reccomend any good books on the matter. I'm mainly focused on going for Muley's and hopefully a spring black bear (no desire for fall salmon bear). Also hoping to connect with moose along the connector.

I already have been reccomended High Country Mule Deer (eastman).

604redneck
12-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I would first of not concentrate on the moose on the connector.....I would pick a species and go with it spring bear is a great one to start with bears in the fall taste great just shoot a mountain bruin that feeds on berries(find the berries find the bears). Mule deer slowly walk cut blocks just in the the timber find a good beaten up trail and sit there and wait if u can. White tails I like to walk slowly thru the thick stuff away from roads, check new growth that borders ol growth sit and wait in the old growth where u can see a bit farther

Salty
12-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Hit the magazine rack ducktoller there's some good how to stuff scattered in most of them from time to time. Best news is your plan to get out in the off season definitely the time to scout like you say. Hopefully you can hit your spots with some snow around and see where they're hanging. I remember when you first joined up here you've come quite a ways already don't be discouraged, chances keep getting better as you go.

Sofa King
12-07-2013, 09:30 PM
as said above, I wouldn't specifically concentrate on moose.
go chase the muley and whities, and there's a chance you'll bump a moose.
I don't necessarily think you are doing anything wrong or different than any of us.
luck and timing plays a bigger part than anything else.

mr7mm
12-07-2013, 09:32 PM
patience, ducktoller. read lots this winter and with little worn out boots you will come across a honey hole

mr7mm
12-07-2013, 09:34 PM
check out the library and even the net

adriaticum
12-07-2013, 09:38 PM
If my next three days out are like today, I'll be eating tag soup as well.

Sofa King
12-07-2013, 09:38 PM
definitely use googlearth.
it really helps learn more about the area you are hunting.
but realize that it's way out of date.
what's cuts now, might be still heavily forested on googlearth.
but it still helps get a great idea of the lay of the land.

adriaticum
12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Good to have a mental picture of the area using google earth.
Today I could not get a GPS reading for some reason on my phone.
It was -15 and maybe my phone is not meant to function at that temp.

quadrakid
12-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Finding an area you know has game and getting to know that area is a good idea. You can waste a lot of time driving around looking for some honeyhole that doesn,t exist. Most guys that have a honeyhole made it their honeyhole by figuring out where the critters bed, where they feed and where they rut.Miles put on the boots are much more valuable than miles driven. Sounds like your on the right path,patience,you will get your critters.Lady luck will help too.

Jim Prawn
12-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Location, Location, Location. You're on the right track; Look for some sheds, do some pre season scouting and then concentrate on where you have seen the most deer, OR SIGN. Don't be afraid to hunt the sign, even if you haven't seen the deer that made it. Also patience and glassing if youre hunting slash. Chilling out for even 15 or 20 minutes overlooking a slash (especially if its a thicker slash) has paid off for me multiple times in the last few years. Just wish I had've listened to the old man sooner..... lol.
JP

Stéphane
12-07-2013, 11:24 PM
I know exactly how it feels. This is my third season and I am still looking for my first big game. I am learning something new every single year. As a matter of fact, I am learning something new ever single time I go out.

A friend of mine, who just had started the thread "3 bows, 3 brothers, 3 blacktails" told me he never saw any deer the first 3 years he went hunting. Now he could school a lot of people on BT hunting.

I thought I was prepared this year, but I quickly realized I was convincing myself I was. Having said that, I know I am getting better at moving quietly, and I do see more games. However, I consistently make new mistakes . . .sigh.

Next week, I am going for the last time this season. I know I will have a great time no matter what. I so enjoy my time in the woods that it helps me overcome my inability thus far to bring home meat. I am learning all the time and will continue even after I make my first kill. If it was easy, we wouldn't like it, right?

Keep your chin up!

west250
12-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Tag soup is part of the game... Some years are incredible, others one really has to work to drum something up. This year has been harder for me as well, but I managed to cut one tag. I must say that I'm guilty of not scouting enough in the off season, perhaps this year I'll get off my lazy butt. ;)

If you do a search on the 2012 blacktail hunting thread, proguide666 posted excellent tips on connecting with the elusive blacktail - it's well worth searching it out and when you find it you'll know. Other than that, here's a link I found useful: http://www.huntwashingtonstate.com/HWS/Blacktail%20deer%20hunting%20tips.htm

panhead
12-08-2013, 01:27 PM
You ain't alone bruddah ... ate my moose tag already ... didn't taste very good either.

ru rancher
12-08-2013, 01:37 PM
well spring bear is an easy one to start its farly simple look for some open hilsides where the dandelions are coming in the bears love that in the spring and when the grass starts sprouting any open areas they will eventually turn up

Darksith
12-08-2013, 04:00 PM
going by the title....

tag soup is best eaten fresh, w/ lots of pepper and a chicken stock base

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Spend as much time as you can in the bush year around. Note all the tracks, water holes and game trails you can find. Be patient and persistent, a new area might take a couple years to produce a animal.
And most of all trust your gut feelings on a good area. You well soon learn were you want to spend your time.

HarryToolips
12-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I know the season still has a week left, but I won't be able to get out again. Did some spot and stalk, some still hunting,
Had put off grouse to focus on watching for deer, on my way out today I finally gave in to the grouse only to have him fly off as my scope settled on him :( Basically ended the same way my season started, id'ing a whitetail doe just before it bolted.

Biggest mistake (unavoidable) was not having started until hunting season itself, didn't get to scout this past spring. Plan to do some hiking for sheds, and to better learn the lay of the land where I plan to go.

Not asking for any honeyholes (as a few members pointed me good places where I had my best chance but didn;t connect) but can anyone reccomend any good books on the matter. I'm mainly focused on going for Muley's and hopefully a spring black bear (no desire for fall salmon bear). Also hoping to connect with moose along the connector.

I'm with ya buddy looks like I'm eatin tag soup again too, for me I was picky with Bears and didn't take a couple when I coulda wanted bigger and then the rest was bad luck from there..I haven't shot a deer in 2 years and have hunted harder and learned more about em than I did when I was baggin em..

dana
12-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Even when you do your homwork all year you still can eat your tag. I've eaten tag soup a ton over the years. I've grown quite fond of the flavour.

Seeadler
12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Look at this www​.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/.../muledeer.pdf

Spend as much time as you can during the season in the areas where the map shows mule deer as plentiful.

ru rancher
12-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Look at this www​.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/.../muledeer.pdf

Spend as much time as you can during the season in the areas where the map shows mule deer as plentiful.
sight doesnt work for me

Seeadler
12-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Google mule deer in British columbia

The first site that come up for me is the link

Hammerhead
12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
There's a lot of guys that come up empty that have a lot more experience and spend a lot of time in the bush. I personally have only hunted this province for the last 6 years or so and ate my share of tag soup the fist couple as well. I've found though if you throw in a couple of the more expensive tags like Grizz and sheep it gives a little more of that top shelf flavour. Keep at it, it will come around
HH

ru rancher
12-08-2013, 06:49 PM
ahhaha thats an awful map i thought it was gonna be better then that but thanks

Seeadler
12-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I think that map is a very good start.

Walksalot
12-09-2013, 08:46 AM

No matter how good or successful a hunter is he/she was where you are at some point in time. You can do preseason scouting but remember, after the first few bangs of the opening day a lot of the bigger animals go nocturnal. Having said that, these animals will move about in the security of the forest all times of the day. Take a map and compass course and get confident using it. Get a GPS so you can mark way points where you find animal activity.
Having said that, this year I am bagging my table fare meat in the meat sections of the local super markets.

exv
12-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I officially just ate my first serving of tag soup myself. With the 2013 season coming a cold and unforgettable end for myself and so many others i cant help but be excited for what lies ahead. Personally speaking, my 2014 season just begun! :twisted:

quaint bucket
12-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm in denial. I still got one more weekend.

Going out for one last hurrah. Just still deciding on where to go.

hare_assassin
12-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Google mule deer in British columbia

The first site that come up for me is the link

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/muledeer.pdf

greenhorn
12-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Stay positive! Think of hunting season as all year. Get your hiking boots and snowshoes out and hammer the woods all year. The more time you spend out there, the more critters you will see, you'll start to notice patterns. By the time rifle season opens you'll know exactly where they are!!

The other benefit of hiking/scouting year round is that you will be in phenomenal physical shape for when you down your animal and have to drag it out solo!!!

sawmill
12-10-2013, 11:40 AM
I just find the does.Once I do I keep going back as long as they are there.Day after day after day........same place.Somedays I see a lot of deer,somedays not,somedays I see the bucks.I do this rather than run all over the country to a different spot everyday.I get so I can reckognize individual does.Thing is,I always get a nice buck.Eventually.7 years in a row,same spot.

ducktoller
12-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely be rereading this come march/april