PDA

View Full Version : churn creek

ghost
12-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Just curious if anybody went up there this season .How they managed to do and what they saw for animals.I did not make it up there the last couple of years and just wondering how things are doing up there.

dino
12-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Just curious if anybody went up there this season .How they managed to do and what they saw for animals.I did not make it up there the last couple of years and just wondering how things are doing up there.
when no one answers it usually means something good

afflicted 1
12-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Sure wished I'd gone up there I'm sure there are a few biggins still around. Seen a pic of an absolute monster out of farwell this year

warnniklz
12-07-2013, 10:25 PM
No one hunts there since the east side of the empire valley road opened up...

jessonml
12-07-2013, 10:50 PM
No one hunts there since the east side of the empire valley road opened up...
Do you mean the area east of the road and west of the fraser used to be closed to hunting?

I didn't get into the churn this year but a few friends did after the Nov closure and they did alright. They reported lots a 3 points and the 4's they did get were mostly small.

butcher
12-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Saw some 150/160 bucks there this year. Lots of hunters. Good, bad and otherwise.

warnniklz
12-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Yeah... but that was quite some time ago.

Didn't hear of much pulled out of there. But have heard there's some pontential for some goodies in the next few years

Do you mean the area east of the road and west of the fraser used to be closed to hunting?

I didn't get into the churn this year but a few friends did after the Nov closure and they did alright. They reported lots a 3 points and the 4's they did get were mostly small.

ghost
12-08-2013, 07:24 AM
when no one answers it usually means something good
I kind of think that also.We tend to do okay up there.

hurley16
12-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Fewer than normal deer IMO.......Loads of Wolf sign- no sitings but did hear them daily.

swampthing
12-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I wandered in there for a couple days this year. Saw about 8 other camps. Saw deer everyday, as usual, but way less then the old days.

srupp
12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
hmmm had numerous hunters come through the Pond after their hunts @ Churn..more deer and bigger bucks..better even than 2 years ago..the big bucks are not stupid and the chances where fast...fast fast... a couple of really nice bucks..180..170....stories of bigger...I did see 2 bruisers and the body sizes fooled me on the racks....

cheers

Steven

white moose
12-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Anybody hunt up river from the bridge with a boat this year? Could not make it this year, but have hunted around the chilcotin river.

CHEAM
12-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Where are those deer spending the summer? I've not seen the same size of bucks south of there as I do in the Churn creek area.

knightcc
12-08-2013, 05:31 PM
We were up there last year. You have to be willing to get off the beaten path as always. Lots of hunters. Lots of road hunters. Beautiful country. The previous comment about bringing your chains is very true. It gets unbelievably greasy up there.

bigslim
12-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Lots of hunters even more preds.
Wolf and Cougar sign and one Wolf spotted
Hadn't been in that area for 5 years never seen so much pred sign
warmed up the week we were in there but lots of does and small bucks big ones a little harder to find
Managed to harvest 2 decent bucks but lots of walking to complete the task

My brother was in the general area for the Nov 21 opening weather was cold and him and his 3 boys managed 3 nice Bucks

BIGSLIM

dino
12-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I kind of think that also.We tend to do okay up there.
If srupp says theres more deer and more quality bucks then I believe that to be true. A nice week long late season trip would be perfect in that fifth wheel of yours. There isnt that many island hunters there then either.:-D No slag towards islanders, its just that it seems that they gravitate to that area.

srupp
12-08-2013, 07:47 PM
there actually is 3 different areas in there that hold bucks at different times of the year..resident bucks...some are in outrageous areas...would never think a 180 would stay there but seen it many times...

cheers
Steven

wos
12-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I spent a week in there our party got one nice buck but the weather warmed up. I'm done with that spot for a while. lots of wolves this year.

warnniklz
12-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Did anyone on here camp at the calving barn this november?

.330 Dakota
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
My Son and I took a day drive in there the last week of the season,,saw nothin, not even a coyote

wildcatter
12-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Not this year!:cry: A great place to meet fellow hunters.

Empire calving barn
http://cnw.hcbc.ca/GMaps/Trail/35/ChurnCreek_L.jpg

http://cnw.hcbc.ca/GMaps/Trail/35/ChurnCreek8_L.jpg

Is that the property of the Empire Valley Cattle Ranch?

warnniklz
12-08-2013, 10:11 PM
I know it's one of the few areas you're allowed to camp.

warnniklz
12-08-2013, 10:36 PM
From what I understand, the ranch put that acreage up for sale. A private individual bought it to selective log it. There was protest that the logging would harm the natural grasslands. So the government bought it back for twice the amount he paid for it and gave him a woodlot near prince george.

But this all happened before I was old enough to understand it all. I also just heard this all through word of mouth. So not sure the validity of the story.

jessonml
12-08-2013, 10:58 PM
http://www.amazon.ca/Mighty-Gang-Ranch-Chris-Kind/dp/0973468629
Lots of interesting stories about the areas history in this book. Saw the book at the Cariboo Lodge last year on our way out.
I have been going into this area for 6 years (missed this year) and only after about 21 days (3 - one week trips) in the area and several bits of good information from members of this site through PM did I feel I had it somewhat figured out. It is a beautiful part of the province.

ghost
12-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Did anyone make it to Gaspard lake and pay Chilko Choate a visit ,if you did how is the old boy doing.

frenchbar
12-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Did anyone make it to Gaspard lake and pay Chilko Choate a visit ,if you did how is the old boy doing.

my dad was up in the summer to visit ..said he was doing ok .

dino
12-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Ted still emails me once in a while, I picked his brain pretty hard for a while there.

ghost
12-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Good to hear he is doing well.