PDA

View Full Version : Best Hunting Optics Leuplod vs Zeiss vs Swarvoski vs leica

vip_ruger
12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
We have a large group discussion at work on which is the best optics to by for hunting all around game .Binos, Rifle scopes, Spotting scopes. Price is not a concern. we want to know the best oout of these brands. looking forward to everybodys opinions

REMINGTON JIM
12-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Tasco ! best Optics and Lifetime Warranty for the Buck ! :-D RJ

The Silent Stalker
12-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Put the coffee on, this will be good.

scottwh
12-07-2013, 10:41 AM
For a rifle scope, I will only buy Leupold now. Out of all my years, I havn't ever had an issue with them. I went the Swarovski rout for my Finnlite and quickly swapped it out for a VX3 Leupold again. The Swaro now rides on my wifes 270wsm. Not knocking other brands at all, but just like the fit and finish on Leupold better.

Chopper
12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Out of those optics Leupold is by far the lowest on the poll ... I just dumped 4 Vx-3 rifle scopes and replaced them with Swarovski 3-10 Z3 with BRX reticle. The Z3 has far better glass , far superior reticle , weighs 2 ounces less and has a bigger front objective which is far better in low light

For the extra $130 the swaro Z3 destroys the VX3 Leupolds ... Not to mention far better customer service and warranty from Swaro.

As far has a spotting scope ... ask the Sheep hunters , Swarovski is Number 1

I will add you did not mention Night Force optics. Although Swaro has Slightly ... and I mean SLIGHTLY better glass , Night Force rifle scopes are second to non when it comes to function , reliability and ruggedness

I personally own

1. NF NXS 250 5.5 - 22 x 50 NPR1 reticle with high speed turrets and zerostop

2. Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with BRX reticle

3. Swarovski HD 65 spotter

4. I have paid for and is on order a NF NXS 250 3-10x42 compact with high speed turrets and zerostop

5. I do own a pair of Leupold Bino's but are going to be replaced with a pair of Swaro 10-42's at some point in the near future

I will also add ... Schmidt and bender rifle scopes are in a class of there own with Night Force that none of the other brands are in. Keep in mind you can hit $3300 just on your scope ... no rings with S&B , They are typically $1000 more than NF

vip_ruger
12-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I said price wasn't and concern lol

r106
12-07-2013, 11:01 AM
This an argument with no right answer. It's like asking who makes the best truck or if we should keep any buck open in the Kootneeys

Weatherby Fan
12-07-2013, 11:08 AM
For a rifle scope, I will only buy Leupold now. Out of all my years, I havn't ever had an issue with them. I went the Swarovski rout for my Finnlite and quickly swapped it out for a VX3 Leupold again. The Swaro now rides on my wifes 270wsm. Not knocking other brands at all, but just like the fit and finish on Leupold better.

I totally agree for the money you can't buy better scopes than the VX3 line, I also have a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 that very limited in it's mountability and the glass is no better than the VX3,
In my opinion the best all round scope you can put on a rifle is a VX3 3.5-10x40,mountability is great,eye relief is large,lightweight,very durable,optics are great and an excellent warranty you most likely will never need.

With Binoculars no Question,Zeiss,Leica and Swarovski are at the top of the heap,I own and have owned Leica and Zeiss binoculars and they are first class optics,quality built optics that have no eyestrain with extended viewing,durable to no end.

Some of the other companies are getting there with the clarity of their optics(Vortex,Minox,Cabelas Euro or Meopta,Kowa) just not sure if the Quality/durability is on par with the big 3, but don't think you could go wrong with any of them !

I use a pair of 25 year old Leica 10x42s and the new Vortex binos seemed to be as clear but again just hesitant of the quality,I hear to many warranty issues to justify switching !

I have done side by side comparisons with,Zeiss Conquest HD,Leica Trinovid,Minox Hg,Leica HD,Zeiss TFL,
and the Zeiss HD and TFL were equal with the Leica HD,
Leica Trinovid and the Minox HG were about the same and not quite as sharp as the newer Zeiss or Leicas.

For the Money I don't think you can get a better binocular right now than the Zeiss Conquest HD
WF
Can't comment on spotting scopes as haven't done any comparisons.

REMINGTON JIM
12-07-2013, 11:15 AM

Hey Scott WHAT did you NOT like ? about the Swarovski scope what do you like better about the Leupold ? :) Thks RJ

Spy
12-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Out of those optics Leupold is by far the lowest on the poll ... I just dumped 4 Vx-3 rifle scopes and replaced them with Swarovski 3-10 Z3 with BRX reticle. The Z3 has far better glass , far superior reticle , weighs 2 ounces less and has a bigger front objective which is far better in low light

For the extra $130 the swaro Z3 destroys the VX3 Leupolds ... Not to mention far better customer service and warranty from Swaro.

As far has a spotting scope ... ask the Sheep hunters , Swarovski is Number 1

I will add you did not mention Night Force optics. Although Swaro has Slightly ... and I mean SLIGHTLY better glass , Night Force rifle scopes are second to non when it comes to function , reliability and ruggedness

I personally own

1. NF NXS 250 5.5 - 22 x 50 NPR1 reticle with high speed turrets and zerostop

2. Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with BRX reticle

3. Swarovski HD 65 spotter

4. I have paid for and is on order a NF NXS 250 3-10x42 compact with high speed turrets and zerostop

5. I do own a pair of Leupold Bino's but are going to be replaced with a pair of Swaro 10-42's at some point in the near future

I will also add ... Schmidt and bender rifle scopes are in a class of there own with Night Force that none of the other brands are in. Keep in mind you can hit $3300 just on your scope ... no rings with S&B , They are typically $1000 more than NF

Good info ^^^ :-)
The Op was asking which are the best
.1 Night Force
.2 Sworovski
.3 Zeiss
.4 Leopald
These are my picks.
I own a Zeiss now but would buy any of the four they will all get the job done.

Weatherby Fan
12-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Tasco ! best Optics and Lifetime Warranty for the Buck ! :-D RJ

Awful early in the morning to be drunk Rj..........!

REMINGTON JIM
12-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Awful early in the morning to be drunk Rj..........!

LMAO ! You will see - there will be a LOYAL following ! :-D RJ

scottwh
12-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Hey Scott WHAT did you NOT like ? about the Swarovski scope what do you like better about the Leupold ? :) Thks RJ

Like Weatherby Fan said, mountability with the slightly shorter tube on the Swaro is a little more painfull to get proper eye relief (for me anyway). Went through 4 different sets of rings on my sako to get it sitting correctly in the dovetail mount. I like my rings to be centered in the dovetail... Once I got it where I wanted, I still went back to the Leupold. Again, not knocking Swaro at all or I wouldnt have put it on the wifes rifle. As far as glass, in comparison, I see no difference in low light conditions.

eastkoothunter
12-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I agree with the VX3 for a rifle scope. Awesome and versatile. As for binos and spotting scopes, big Swaro fan. My dad has a pair of Leica Geovids, which are a very nice set of binos, but the warranty experiences between Swaro and Leica for us personally, has been night and day. Swaro have been much much better to deal with. Bushnell Elite series rifle scopes are nice too!

RiverOtter
12-07-2013, 12:54 PM
In a rifle scope, where weight, bulk and price are not a concern, NF and S&B are the cream of the crop. That said, unless you're going for pimp points, building a bench gun or deploying to Afghanistan, you hardly need or want that much scope in a carry rifle. For me and a lot of others, Leupold covers the most bases in a hunting rifle; Light weight, good glass and lots of eye relief with a very generous eye box. The second to none warranty is just frosting.

If we're talking bins and spotters, there's 3 best choices, with a few close runners up for 4th. For the money at stake in this category, you wanna let YOUR eyes guide you. For me, I was totally underwhelmed with Swaro, in both bins and spotters, so my choice in spotter boils down to Zeiss and Leica, of which I'm leaning Zeiss. Bins, I settled on Minox HG's, mainly for how close they came to the Big 3(Actually trumped the Swaros to MY eyes) at a fraction of the price tag on a Camera Land deal(NIB bins at a demo clearance price).

Weatherby Fan
12-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I will add that I looked through a friends Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 this last week while out hunting which was by far the clearest and brightest scope I have ever looked through but for $3000.00 it dam well should be.

Weatherby Fan
12-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Hey Rj
I have the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRX , it's to short to mount on a long action rifle in standard Talley Lightweights to get proper eye relief, also the bell with adjustment knob is much bigger than the VX3 3.5-10x40 and would touch the base of the mount, on top of that the BRX reticle is far to faint to see, BRHeavy is much better,
sure you can use a pitcanny rail mount and achieve the proper eye relief but I prefer Talley Lightweights on my rifles.
It mounts fine on a short action rifle so I'm on the lookout for a SA cartridge rifle !

RiverOtter
12-07-2013, 01:13 PM

Someone else is getting an early start on the holiday cheer as well, apparently..........

The 'Net is a pretty harsh environment for companies who've slighted customers, yet Leupold continues to get positive reviews for actually backing their product in a "Prompt" manner. A simple promise to back your product means nothing, if you don't actually follow through in a prompt courteous fashion.

Blainer
12-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I have Leupold on an my rifles, 5 scopes, binnoculars. Great glass
But NOT the quality of Swarovski
If price does'nt matter.

vip_ruger
12-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Well I sold my leupold scope vxl and went to Swarovski so I could see better in low light conditions I find I get about 15 min more shooting time now . and I run Swarovski range bino 10x42 el and love them I find it a upgrade from my zeiss victorys 10x 40, and spotter I have zeiss 85 and I love it and warranty on all three is about pair I find.

pescado
12-07-2013, 02:16 PM
If money wasn't a factor my optics would be all Swaro. I do use the Z5 for a scope and wouldn't change it for an all rounder. For size, fit and quality I'm very happy with my Swaro binos. If cash wasn't an issue I'd be the owner of an STX spotter. I do have a Vx3 and it is a decent scope but not in the same league as my Z5 in anyway but possibly warranty issues.

Seeadler
12-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Don't know about scope, but to my eyes for binos and spotter Swaro is the very best.

Bubba123
12-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Best is a subjective term. You will get all kinds of responses, such as best for me, best for the money, best i can afford, best i have seen, and best based on what everybody else says.

northernhunter
12-07-2013, 03:58 PM
I had a pair of leica 10x42for 8years and they were great. Just upgraded to the 10x42 hd-b rangefinder binos this fall. They are awesome binos and the computer data you can put on them can make long shots easy. Took a mule buck in alberta a couple weeks ago just over 600 yards, would never have tried that shot if I didn't have the new optics with bullet trajectory. The buck stood there for about 10 seconds and then flopped over in his tracks. Would highly recommend them. $$$

RiverOtter
12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Best is a subjective term. You will get all kinds of responses, such as best for me, best for the money, best i can afford, best i have seen, and best based on what everybody else says.

That's a damn good summation........:mrgreen:

Chopper
12-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Like Weatherby Fan said, mountability with the slightly shorter tube on the Swaro is a little more painfull to get proper eye relief (for me anyway). Went through 4 different sets of rings on my sako to get it sitting correctly in the dovetail mount. I like my rings to be centered in the dovetail... Once I got it where I wanted, I still went back to the Leupold. Again, not knocking Swaro at all or I wouldnt have put it on the wifes rifle. As far as glass, in comparison, I see no difference in low light conditions.

Hmmm ... I actually will back this up , the swaro is a little shorter. I did notice this when mounting the scope. It did not effect me at the time because it is on a short action rifle. Could definitely be an issue on a long action.

Good point there

Chopper
12-07-2013, 04:32 PM

That's a damn good summation........:mrgreen:

Ya I like this one too ... lol

Trekker
12-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I like the leupold vx3 scopes, the quality is comparable to the big 3. The plus being for me is the scope covers leupold makes, they are deffinitly the best on the market. And as far as I know, the other guys dont make them for there scopes and the third party ones are crap.

yama49
12-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a
Night force scope
swaro 65 hd spotter
leica ultravid hd 10x42 bino
g7 rangefinder

Not sure if there the best, but i cant see me buying anything new for a loooong while. Very happy with each one

Chopper
12-07-2013, 05:25 PM
I like the leupold vx3 scopes, the quality is comparable to the big 3. The plus being for me is the scope covers leupold makes, they are deffinitly the best on the market. And as far as I know, the other guys dont make them for there scopes and the third party ones are crap.

Swaro makes thread in covers ... and Leupolds dangly hanging wire cross hairs always take a dump over time when mounted on magnum rifles. Super that there warranty covers it but ... what happens when it happens on Nov.1 ? get your scope back just in time for closing day ?

Leupold sucks ! ... oh ! did I mention there internals are starting to be manufactured in china ?

RiverOtter
12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Got an FX3 6x42 mounted on an un-braked 7 1/2 lb .338 Ultra. Just shy of 500 bangs and one tip over onto a gravel road with nary a hiccup or POI change, so I'm fair certain Leups can take a lick.

Don't worry, I'll be sure to post up the details here, if/when it shits the bed....Based on my other VX2, VX3 and FX3 Leups though, I'm not too certain that'll be anytime soon........

scottwh
12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Swaro makes thread in covers ... and Leupolds dangly hanging wire cross hairs always take a dump over time when mounted on magnum rifles. Super that there warranty covers it but ... what happens when it happens on Nov.1 ? get your scope back just in time for closing day ?

Leupold sucks ! ... oh ! did I mention there internals are starting to be manufactured in china ?

I have Leupolds on 3 7 rem mag's, 300 win mag, 7mm stw, 375 ruger, 340wby mag, 257 wby mag, 7saum, 416 rem mag and 8mm rem mag that I can think of rite now for magnum rifles. Cant get a whole lot more magnum that that. The last thing I worry about is my cross hairs falling appart. Most of these rifles have seen extensive shooting. Havn't heard of anyone having that problem.

Chopper
12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Got an FX3 6x42 mounted on an un-braked 7 1/2 lb .338 Ultra. Just shy of 500 bangs and one tip over onto a gravel road with nary a hiccup or POI change, so I'm fair certain Leups can take a lick.

Don't worry, I'll be sure to post up the details here, if/when it shits the bed....Based on my other VX2, VX3 and FX3 Leups though, I'm not too certain that'll be anytime soon........

I only have experience with the VX1 , 2's and 3's ... they for certain cannot take magnum recoil

not familiar with the FX3's ... been off the leupold bandwagon for some time. All my magnums have NF on them now. Im on the ... Will take being ran over by a Hummvee bandwagon for my magnums

Weatherby Fan
12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Funny I've been using Vari X3 and now VX3s for 30 years and always on 7mm wby mag,300 wby mag and 30-378 wby mag and not one zero lost or one failure , I only own about a dozen of them not to mention everyone in the family uses them without issue, but yeh I'll also let you know when one goes for a shit ! Don't hold your breath waitin !

Chopper
12-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Funny I've been using Vari X3 and now VX3s for 30 years and always on 7mm wby mag,300 wby mag and 30-378 wby mag and not one zero lost or one failure , I only own about a dozen of them not to mention everyone in the family uses them without issue, but yeh I'll also let you know when one goes for a shit ! Don't hold your breath waitin !

I will add ... I have had lots ove troubles with the old VX 1's and 2's but I had an old VX 111 and had no trouble but the new VX3's have been nothing but trouble for me

scottwh
12-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Dodge is WAY better than Ford..... WAY better :)

scottwh
12-07-2013, 06:16 PM
I will add ... I have had lots ove troubles with the old VX 1's and 2's but I had an old VX 111 and had no trouble but the new VX3's have been nothing but trouble for me

What kind of issues? How are you treating them that a Swaro wouldnt Fk up either??

Weatherby Fan
12-07-2013, 06:19 PM

I can't vouch for VX 1 or 2 but do own 4 of the new VX3s, 1 B&C reticle, 2 duplex and 1 CDS ......no issues to date.

NorBC
12-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Vx2 on my 338 lapua. Put many rounds down her, and have fell on it many times when my giant pack takes me AOT down the mountain. Jet boats arnt much kinder too it either. Never a problem. In fact it's making me lean towards a mark 4 or vx6 instead of some higher end glass for my next purchase!

RiverOtter
12-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I only have experience with the VX1 , 2's and 3's ... they for certain cannot take magnum recoil

not familiar with the FX3's ... been off the leupold bandwagon for some time. All my magnums have NF on them now. Im on the ... Will take being ran over by a Hummvee bandwagon for my magnums

Can't slight NF for quality/durability, as I've gunned 'em. But when you're talking durability and light weight for a sub 8 lb rifle, then you're ruling out NF. Add to that that a VX/FX III/3 is less than half the cost, then you're squarely in Leupold territory.

Each to their own, but my days of packing 10 lb+ rifles into the alpine have long since past. As a side, when people start espousing "several" VX3 failures, it either means you're the unluckiest SOB on the planet, or your talkin' out your arse........just sayin'

Chopper
12-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Can't slight NF for quality/durability, as I've gunned 'em. But when you're talking durability and light weight for a sub 8 lb rifle, then you're ruling out NF. Add to that that a VX/FX III/3 is less than half the cost, then you're squarely in Leupold territory.

Each to their own, but my days of packing 10 lb+ rifles into the alpine have long since past. As a side, when people start espousing "several" VX3 failures, it either means you're the unluckiest SOB on the planet, or your talkin' out your arse........just sayin'

My Remington 700 titanium with the new NF NXS 250 3-10x42 w/ high spd turrets and zerostop is coming in 7lbs 4ounces. That New NF comes in at 19oz's. VX3 4.5-14x40 BC with 1 inch tube is 16oz's

Unfortunately im not the only person with these storys , More than a handful of the bench shooters I know are also done with Leupold. In fact the very last one I bought was pooched brand new right out of the box ... then when I took it back I was told to go pound sand. they said they would send it away for warranty. Then ... I went and mounted my spare and it packed it in with in the next 2 weeks. DONE ! went and replaced them with Swaro Z3's

As far as problems go ... I have had 2 release the gas and fog internally , and the others were reticle failures. The new on I bought I mounted and went to sight in. This is on a custom that is .5 minute gun inside 300 all day. Fire a shot and a bullet went high and right about 8inches. Fire another shot ... same place. OK no problem. turn the turret for 8 minutes down and 8 left at 100. Fire another shot ... goes high ad left 10 minutes ... WTF ? fire another shot ... bottom of the paper ... WTF ? and so on and so forth.

The boon and crocket reticles are wire ... they are prone to failure. I will no longer buy a scope unless they are etched glass ... Swaro / NF

Oh almost forgot ... actually had one leak some sort of oil right out of the elevation turret as well , forgot about that Gem

goinghunting
12-07-2013, 10:29 PM
My Remington 700 titanium with the new NF NXS 250 3-10x42 w/ high spd turrets and zerostop is coming in 7lbs 4ounces

Im just looking at putting a vx3 4.5-14 40mm with cds on my 300 win. But was in grouse mtn and that exact nightforce scope you had caught my eye. Now im not a long range shooter but the reason i want that cds is if the buck or ramn of my dreams is at 550 m and there is no way of closing the distance i want to be able to hit him. So in distance's of 600m or less does the nightforce have any advantages over the vx3 cds or is it more for the real excessive range?

Chopper
12-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Im just looking at putting a vx3 4.5-14 40mm with cds on my 300 win. But was in grouse mtn and that exact nightforce scope you had caught my eye. Now im not a long range shooter but the reason i want that cds is if the buck or ramn of my dreams is at 550 m and there is no way of closing the distance i want to be able to hit him. So in distance's of 600m or less does the nightforce have any advantages over the vx3 cds or is it more for the real excessive range?

No ... I use that scope on my 300wsm with a 165 accubond so its really running out of steam at 600. To make a good solid kill its running out of steam. I like the NF's because they are rugged and I also find the VX3's do not always return to zero. Also one click is not always a quarter minute. There cane be a big difference between scopes. I have a buddy that was starting out LRing and was using VX3's and found that from scope to scope there would be a big difference in the amount of clicks for a 600 yard shot on the same gun. He would do the math on a ballistic calculator and then dial the minutes and it would be way off. The he would have to count the clicks on his scope to get it on. Then he'd move a different VX3 onto the same gun and it wouldn't be the same clicks on the new scope. He got frustrated with that dance and went to MK4's

I forgot to tell this story in an earlier post ... even the MK4's did not return to zero all the time , he even sent one away ... Korth said it was fine ... was not fine at all. Switched to NF ... problem solved.

The thing I don't like about the CDS is its half ass ... You need to compensate for barometric pressure changes , cant do that with the CDS unless you just get it in MOA. But again , they're MOA adjustment have been very inconsistent in our experiences.

There is a comment I hear amongst the shooting community that a keep hearing again and again where ever I go ... Leupold is riding a reputation that was built 30-50 years ago and they are not what they once were

I have to agree

Gateholio
12-07-2013, 11:56 PM
I've used a number of optics companies. I have sent for repair: Bushnell, Leupold, Leica, Ziess, Swarvoski and B&L prior to Bushnell purchase. So I guess they all fail to some extent. To me a scope is an aiming device. I want it to be reliable and durable and track properly and have decent glass, but I don't use a hunting rifle scope as a spotter or a pair of binos. So I have mostly Leupold scopes on my rifles, in various vintages.

I want better glass in my binos and spotter so I currently use Leica Binos and a Ziess spotter. If I was buying today I would look at lots of different companies as there are some excellent scopes and spotters being made these days for less than the top dollar brands. I recently bought a Vortex Razor HD scope (MSRP $2500) to try it out. So far it seems pretty decent. Not sure if it equals NF yet, but I like it so far.

scottwh
12-08-2013, 12:04 AM
As Gatehouse sais "I dont use a rifle scope as a pair of binos or a spotter". Most viewing is through bins or spotter. Your scope is only crosshair view for a split second...

Singleshotneeded
12-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Night Force is supposed to be the best if cost isn't an issue...top quality glass and solid as a rock.

Weatherby Fan
12-08-2013, 04:45 AM
So with all the reviews for the absolute finest scopes, this is what the worlds top authorities come up with in no particular order,

Leupold VX6, Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski Z5&Z6, Nightforce, Zeiss Victory

Wade
12-08-2013, 10:07 AM
This topic has bin beat to death so many times. It's very simple, the best optics out there are the optics that work the best for YOU.

Gateholio
12-08-2013, 10:38 AM
This topic has bin beat to death so many times. It's very simple, the best optics out there are the optics that work the best for YOU.

Good point.....

I will add- Work best for you and you can afford. Everybody has different eyes , which is why the last time I bought binos I chose Leica binos rather than Swaro. When I go to replace them it could be another Leica, swaro, Ziess or some other company that is making excellent optics.

As for affordability, well no point in pining for high end binocs if you can't afford them. There are very good quality optics for very good prices these days. I would only suggest that nobody buy junk. Save for a few months and get something good. Lots of good optics available for less than half of the Big 3 Euro brands.

ryan_jess
12-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Well then Leupold works for me.

Blockcaver
12-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Chopper, All info points to the Leupold B&C reticle being etched glass. That is based on a google search and supposed answers to the question from Leupold.

Chopper
12-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Chopper, All info points to the Leupold B&C reticle being etched glass. That is based on a google search and supposed answers to the question from Leupold.

Tungsten wire reticle

Darksith
12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't see how anyone can say that leupold is top shelf against the big brands...just because you have them on your rifle doesn't mean they are the best, it just means they are the best bang for your wallet. If it was someone elses wallet you would still put a leupold on? Even vortex has surpassed leupold on side by side comparisons done, and thats coming from guys that were leupold faithfuls. They just don't hold a candle to the big names, but most can't afford the big names

Chopper
12-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't see how anyone can say that leupold is top shelf against the big brands...just because you have them on your rifle doesn't mean they are the best, it just means they are the best bang for your wallet. If it was someone elses wallet you would still put a leupold on? Even vortex has surpassed leupold on side by side comparisons done, and thats coming from guys that were leupold faithfuls. They just don't hold a candle to the big names, but most can't afford the big names

Personally I don't even think Leupolds prices are that reasonable for what they have been putting out the last couple of years. Look at the fit and finish on there mid range binos " $500 " they don't hold a candle to the old pinnacles. The eyecups are brittle , they are even cheeping out on the the little eyepiece covers. They feal way cheaper ... I have both generations.

I think that there are company's that are doing a far better job for that kind of money

Weatherby Fan
12-08-2013, 12:07 PM

This is a hunting forum and it's a great place to debate the gear we use as you can learn about issues good or bad from other members such as the issues Chopper had with repeatability with Leupolds Turrets, as long as it stays civil I like these threads.

srupp
12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
hmnmmm Swarovski 8x42 EL binos

Swarovski HD 20-65 Spotting scope..angled

scopes are Leupold...40mm 4-10x one Boone and Crockett etched reticle...other not..

35 years only had one person I knew blow up a leupold scope..and the reticle came loose...it was fixed correctly and quickly no charge..that was on my TWIN brothers 7 mm rem mag unfortunately on a grizz hunt..so we had to get close.... 25 yards close..lol....oh thopse were the days..lol

that simple

Steven

ramcam
12-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Chopper you must have the worst luck when it comes to leupold rifle scopes, I have pounded those scopes for thirty years of sheep, goat, elk and deer hunting and only had one problem and that was the adjustment was hanging up. Sent to warrenty shop in Alberta teo week turn around and good to go!