PDA

View Full Version : Buying a boat across the border???

rifleman
12-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Please delete

Whonnock Boy
12-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Yes I have, but its been a while, and it was new. I used a broker to get it across. They did the importing and paid the taxes on my behalf, for a fee of course. I think the biggest hassle of getting a boat across is the trailer. I had purchased mine local. At the very least you will have to get the trailer inspected but, I believe the trailer, with the boat on it of course, needs to sit at customs for 24, 48, or 72 hours before you are allowed to cross.

Bamfield....? It's the center of the universe when it comes to fishing. At least that is what some might say. :wink:

markomoose
12-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Boats perfect!Bamfield has great fishing!

BChunter
12-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Rifleman, I grew up in fishing boats this size but mostly lakes and inside waters. Inside waters means Howe Sound to Sechelt, not known for Pacific rollers. Definitely this is a nice boat, well maintained and looks like a very good price. For the west side of VI, one must have a good GPS on board and compass and be able to ride the swells. Don't think you can go off shore and not get trapped by fog. Wear modern life jackets and head in if weather threatens despite slaying hali's and salmon in a boat this size. If your a puker, a bigger boat won't help from my experience. If the weather is rough, troll white hoochies or squids along the islands in 20-50 feet of water and pick up mouth watering coho. A gaff is the west coast choice and-or a long handle good net. A harpoon is also carried just for that occasional big halibut though I've not used one. The 25lb hali's are delicious!
If the boat has a bank lean, go to the bank and make arrangements to square the title or don't touch this one. Be sure the vendor deducts the amount you pay the bank off his asking price. You could find yourself at his mercy on a purchase like a boat. Personally, I would tow the boat and meet the boat owner at the bank to hand over the dough to both parties. A signed letter of sale vendors phone number, is a must for border duty as well or they can put you through some grief over the boat value. My son went through this with a snow sled purchase. They just don't have to believe you because they have pistols and can give you a cavity search! Check with an insurance agent first to see if you can take a trailer plate to return with at the same time. Good luck, good fishing!

Dannybuoy
12-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I bought mine in Washington as well , another thing to do is to separate the boat value and trailer value if you buy the trailer too . ie 9k for the boat 2k for the trailer as you will pay tax on the boat but not the trailer until you insure it with icbc ( after you have it inspected) And as BChunter says Bills of sale .....

browningboy
12-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Simple is two titles, as mentioned one for boat and other for trailer, if they have the title in hand then no lein, try to photo copy the title and if it's legit it will come out really weird with writing all over. Drive to border and pay RIV and GST then drive home, upon inspection you can register the trailer and pay PST on trailer only and there ya be.

lorneparker1
12-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Sorry for the quick hijack/self plug.

IF you are a looking for a boat in that size range, aka a bamfield killer I am selling mine.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4220382339

Aheny
12-06-2013, 11:28 PM
I've bought a couple of boats from washington this year. PM me if you like and I can let you know how simple it is.

The trailer is the only part that is even remotely complex, bringing your own works great, but importing them isnt that big of a deal

Whonnock Boy
12-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I've bought a couple of boats from washington this year. PM me if you like and I can let you know how simple it is.

The trailer is the only part that is even remotely complex, bringing your own works great, but importing them isnt that big of a deal

Tell us all, so we all can learn. :wink:

sallovesbeer
12-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Hey anyone ever buy a boat in Washington? I am looking at buying one but I just found out that the bank still
has title on the boat. Also what is your opinion on this boat for fishing out of Bamfield? All info greatly appreciated.
Thank You in advance.

http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/4189955988.html
i bought a 22' Wellcraft across the boarder last year with no troubles at all. The strange thing was that with a trailer that is 15 years or NEWER needs to be inspected within a certain amount of time after bringing it across the boarder but 15 year and OLDER does not have to be inspected. I found that completely backwards however that's how it was. I had to pay both the taxes (gst+pst) on the boat at the boarder but only had to pay the gst on the trailer. When I registered the trailer in bc I paid the pst. The only thing I remembered about bring it across was that you must make sure you get the customs to stamp the paperwork properly. There was website that I found that had a checklist for cross boarder boat shopping that was helpful. No duty on used pre owned boats which is nice too. Make sure you get trailer insurance here before you go. I went through coast capital insurance and they set me up with an A to B policy so I could bring it back

rifleman
12-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Sorry for the quick hijack/self plug.

IF you are a looking for a boat in that size range, aka a bamfield killer I am selling mine.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4220382339

Thanx for the hijack. your listing did not come up. what are you selling? PM me..

rifleman
12-07-2013, 12:05 AM
very good info. thanx for the feed back. what do you think about the boat?

http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/4189955988.html

skidderman
12-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Easy to do but here are more tips: Paying; can't take more than $10,000 cash without declaring. If you do a bank transfer expect a layover of one day. Set up with your bank before you leave. Transfer goes fr cdn bank to Toronto to New York to target bank. As previously stated make sure seller has both title to boat & trailer. If not you might still be able to do but would pay the bank to get titles. Personally I would not touch if titles not in hand. Declare boat at Cdn customs, fill out forms & pay tax. Tax is based on US price converted to Cdn dollars. When home contact riv as stated on yellow form. They will send inspection forms to have trailer inspected at Canadian Tire. Get inspection done, Cdn tire faxes form in. You then get a new Canadianized riv sticker to put on the trailer. Then enjoy. It's easy. Have done it twice, once ex WA dealer, once ex Or private.

pnbrock
12-10-2013, 07:39 AM
wouldn't be my first choice for a west coast boat,lakes yes.look a little further to south for better deals especially where big lakes are present..