PDA

View Full Version : licenced harvest rate

horshur
12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
According to the paper 12%.....am I right in thinking that for every 100 tag holders 12 people shoot a deer?? And according to the other chart harvest is down about 40 % since a high in 92...so in 92 maybe it was 19 successful to 100 holders which is significant to me but the mean closes that gap a fair bit.....I guess what I am getting at is the majority of tag holders regardless of a high or low are going home empty handed and it has been like that for a while.....

Big Lew
12-06-2013, 07:43 PM
It's not hard to imagine when you consider everything. Many tag holders don't actually get a chance to go out hunting even though they bought a tag. Many hunters buy tags to cover any and all species they might encounter while only pursuing one or two. Often hunters go out in groups and don't stay long enough for everyone to be successful, especially if sharing. Many are either inexperienced, pick poor areas, or are just plain unlucky that they don't get a chance for good shot. Then of course, there are those that put in for leh, are lucky and get a draw, and had no intention of using it.

Argali
12-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Those figures seem a little low. According to the 2013 mule deer working group paper, the estimated BC mule deer harvest was 14,205 deer from 48,169 hunters. That works out to about 29.5% success.

Rich_D
12-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I received a questionnaire after last year's hunting season and the only thing that was asked on it was whether or not I had harvested a WT or not and if so where.

Could be those are WT numbers only.

I know people who buy both tags on the off chance that they run into a WT but they don't not actively pursue them.

horshur
12-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I received a questionnaire after last year's hunting season and the only thing that was asked on it was whether or not I had harvested a WT or not and if so where.

Could be those are WT numbers only.

I know people who buy both tags on the off chance that they run into a WT but they don't not actively pursue them.

this is the link I got the number from...

http://peachlandsportsmens.ca/wp-con...il-26-2012.pdf (http://peachlandsportsmens.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Kuzyk_Mule-Deer-BCWF-April-26-2012.pdf)

Cordillera
12-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I think 12% is the proportion of harvest to total population. Hunter success is a different measure.

horshur
12-06-2013, 10:22 PM
I don't know I am sure someone for sure well set me straight..12 percent seemed pretty low.

GoatGuy
12-06-2013, 10:34 PM
12% of deer population is correct