PDA

View Full Version : "Quiet", waterproof/resistant gaiter recommendations?

MB_Boy
12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Hey Guys.....didn't want to hijack the Kuiu threa, but thinking about getting my Dad a set for Xmas. He is back in MB but has always complained about his wool pants and other hunting pants getting damp in deeper snow or walking through taller grass and in the bush.

Being quiet is paramount for him whether hunting animals or filming moose....he is tall (6'5"-6'6") but lanky. Any recommendations for some that are pretty waterproof/resistant yet ALSO quiet AND may work for a tall guy?

I am hoping for something good and durable but due to the lack of 'mountains' in MB they don't need to be a hardcore mountaineering product. :wink:

BRvalley
12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
kenetrek makes fairly quiet gaiters, but may not be a good fit for your dad...I'm 6' and I wish they had an extra couple inches for me

BiG Boar
12-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I have had 3 sets now. No comparison so far. Sitka is the best I've owned. That being said, I am not a big sitka fan of anything else. But these were worth it. That being said, 1 of the buttons failed on me.

Dale
12-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Kenetrek 100%

russm86
12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I agree. One of the kenetrek hunting gaiters. I'm 6' and they seem fine for me, in fact I think they are taller than most others I have had. They also have a quieter outer shell.
http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-064-AP
http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-064-SNO

BRvalley
12-05-2013, 03:47 PM
hillsound makes good gaiters, vancouver designed I think, maybe made there as well.....but not quiet and will fit tight if you have big legs, similar style/design to Sitka....I can't wear them over multiple winter layers when I'm ice fishing

I've never found a gaiter I'm 100% happy with...but kenetreks for hunting and hillsound for active winter duty

Tenacious Billy
12-05-2013, 04:00 PM
I've owned the same pair of Outdoor Research gaiters form probably 10 years now - they've been used on a number of mountain hunts and throughout the winter snowshoeing etc. Zero complaints.

SingleShot
12-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Google Ravenwear. Hand made in Alberta and made to your exact specs. I first found out about them in a hotel in Alberta where the owner had a weekend display of products in her suite. Extreme quality and materials used. Beyond quiet. They will build anything however you want it.

swampthing
12-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Once again with the kenetrek. They are quiet and cheaper than most gaiters to boot

Sitkaspruce
12-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Kenetrek for me. I have 2 pairs, snow camo and black, both work great and are the best ones I have used...not sure why I have the snow camo, but the do look cool in the snow.....

Cheers

SS