PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Mule and Whitey Hunting

Tuckster
12-05-2013, 11:15 AM
So I'm heading out towards a spot near Ashcroft I saw a bunch of deer earlier in the season for one last kick at the can. Its covered in snow at this point and getting into the -teens at night.

I was looking for any late season advice people are willing to share. Are the deer yarding up at this point? hanging around food sources? I've never hunted this late so I dont really know what to expect. Are we pulling into the second rut yet? Love to hear anything about what these animals do late in the year with good snow cover.

Bud
12-05-2013, 07:45 PM
very hard to move around in very crunchy snow, pick a good spot and stay still for as long as you can

Sofa King
12-05-2013, 08:13 PM
what bud said.
the weather has worked to the deer's advantage again this late season, just like last year.
it's impossible to walk and not be heard.
it'll be damn cold sitting still though.
I'm setting my blind up again with my heater for the rest of the season.
your best bet if you're going to still-hunt though, will be to hope for a wind for some noise and keep the wind in your face.
again, that'll be a cold bitch though.
then there's always the warm cab of your truck also.

Rich_D
12-05-2013, 09:27 PM
then there's always the warm cab of your truck also.

The old gas powered, heated, portable ground blind. Hehe

Even in the crunchy snow I managed to get within 70yds of a WT Doe last weekend and she had no idea I was there with the old "take a few steps and glass everything" routine.

Sofa King
12-05-2013, 09:44 PM
ya, you just never know.
I was walking in that noisy hard-pack last week.
then had to crash down a hill that was covered in downed trees.
I was stomping and snapping branches and had completely given up on being quiet.
I break out of the thick at the bottom, and there's the biggest whitey I've seen, just starting to take off now that he's seen what was creating all the commotion.
all one can do is be ready for anything I guess.

dana
12-05-2013, 09:56 PM
For what I saw, the rut was pretty intense this year as most of the deer were down due to snow. What I've seen in similar years, there shouldn't be much of a second rut this year. But....the cold conditions should have them starting to move into winter mode and they should be feeding a lot. Crunchy snow isn't really that big of a deal. They are in the same conditions as we are. When they move they are just as noisy. Walk like a deer and you shouldn't have any issues.