PDA

View Full Version : Elk Problem in Alberta

Blair
12-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I haven't seen anything about this on HBC. Interesting article and surprisingly low success rate for hunters there?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/27/elk-invasion-from-southern-alberta-military-base-plaguing-area-farmers

http://www.producer.com/2013/11/military-solution-creates-farm-problem/

Blacktail
12-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I just came out of my elk hunt in suffield base
There was a hunt last week and the previous week where there were 100 tags per week drawn out on an LEH system
They believe the herd is at around 4500 to 5500 animals
This week was a bit of a bust because of the weather as if it snows real bad the military don't plow any of the access roads.
There has been 107 elk shot in the last two weeks and all of the area is not open for hunting

The elk have taken off into the wildlife reserve in the north and into the EPG area in the south where there is no access
The military will not drive them out of these areas and have a bit of a hands off approach to the harvest
The only reason there is a harvest is because of the complaints of the neighbouring landowners that constantly get there fences trashed and hay bales torn apart by the animals that come over from the base

I know my success percentage was going to be low with my draw being the last week but didn't count on the weather against me as well

Blair
12-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Is the Limited Entry hunt only allowed on the base, or can you hunt on the adjoining private land?

Blacktail
12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
For this population reduction hunt. It is only in the base
There are other LEH opportunities outside the base in surrounding zones.

REDGREEN
12-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Planted mine opening morning second week at 11:15. It helps knowing the base, as there is about 3000 square miles for you to look for them. There are lots of ranchers that will welcome you around the base if you get a tag for their wmu.

Blacktail
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Planted mine opening morning second week at 11:15. It helps knowing the base, as there is about 3000 square miles for you to look for them. There are lots of ranchers that will welcome you around the base if you get a tag for their wmu.

I went in on opening morning this past Monday with 2 guys that are range patrol that know the base well
All the southern elk had moved into EPG and the northern herd went into the wildlife reserve.
Up until yesterday there was 107 elk shot in 2 1/2 weeks out of the 300 tags
Yesterday they opened up a bit of the EPG down the first road and 35 were shot
This morning there was 11 trucks going in at the briefing
I was out and at the game check at 945 AM with a nice size cow