PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Valley, 3 Bows, 3 Brothers, And 3 Blacktails

redthorn
12-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Living in Abbotsford and near the base of Sumas Mountain means that I have spent a phenomenal amount of time on Google Earth and scouting the mountain when I can on the weekends. And all that time does produce some results. We found a new area to try back in January and had been scouting it several times since then. We didn't hit it during hunting season until the end of October as it was so dry and crunchy. But once the leaves had cleared off the Vine maples and salmonberry bushes and the rain had quieted the leaves, we headed in. It's over a km uphill before the hunting gets ok, and then close to another 2 km uphill and past that before you're really in a decent spot.

The first afternoon we went in was too dry, but we did see some and heard others spooking. But with wetter weather, we really got into them. My youngest brother (RJBrowning) was the first to take one down. With the rut in full swing, while alternately calling and stillhunting his way along through the sword ferns and fir, he called in and twanged a nice and tall 3x2 with good eyeguards on the 9th.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/IMG_0499_zpscbdc9a37.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/redthornboards/media/IMG_0499_zpscbdc9a37.jpg.html)

Then our other brother (DeDutch) was in from Alberni for a weekend, so we hit it again on Saturday the 16th. He had worked his way up some swordfern and vine maple bluffs, and did a call sequence With the rut still tapering down, the Blacktails were still responding well to calls, and he had a larger buck sneak in on him and bounce off when he tried to turn for a shot. He called again to try to pull him back, but he never showed again. Instead he had a doe come by with a 2pt in tow, so he took his consolation prize home that night.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/IMG_0510_zpsf6f6bde0.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/redthornboards/media/IMG_0510_zpsf6f6bde0.jpg.html)

I missed the next weekend with a bad flu, but went out this last Saturday the 30th. The deer were no longer vocal, but still inquisitive. I jumped a nice tall 2 pt out of his bed in the sword ferns at 10 yards, and had another larger deer I could see sneaking off a bed in the vinemaples on the bluffs, but had yet to have a chance to draw on a buck. Then as I was working timber transition between the maple growth and Cedars and fir, I saw this guy bedded down. I worked on an angle past (not directly towards) him in as close as I could, pointedly avoiding looking directly at him and only watching out of the corner of my eye, and he stayed flat in his bed with his neck down. When I got to 20yds I looked directly at him. He knew I had seen him then and was on his feet instantly. But he hesitated longer than me, and the Montec was on it's way. Right through broadside and through the top ventricle, so he dropped fast. A nice mature 3x2 as well, but with weaker eyeguards than RJBrownings.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/DSCN1664_zps9de3be24.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/redthornboards/media/DSCN1664_zps9de3be24.jpg.html)

All in all a nice season, and nice to be able to hunt local and sleep in your own bed at night. But still a lot of work, as the deer are quite a ways in and away from roads, cutblocks, and trails.

xfactor
12-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Well done! 3 for 3!!

knighthunter
12-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Great story and pic's. Way to go guy's.

Stéphane
12-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Congrats to you and your brothers again. For people who don't him, he is one of the most generous man I know. Sharing knowledge and help, he's willing to teach newer hunters and he is an incredible "blood hound". He truly is the Proguide of Sumas!

I am just so happy you get your share of the reward too. I could never be jealous of your success. I will continue to follow your advice and by the time the 2014 season commence, I will be more ready than ever.

As for the deer, they look awesome. And what an incredible shot you got on yours.

jaeger
12-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Good hunting!
Congratulation on all of your successes!
Jaeger

Jelvis
12-04-2013, 09:46 PM
The three brothers who really know what their doin, you guys are unreal or unconscious
You pulled off something that is very diffy cult to do.
Jel .. Your true hunters ..

12-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Nicely done, on a Hatrick, more ways then one ......... shite I'm a startin sound like Jelvis

CT

~T-BONE~
12-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Nice work guys.. Good to see some more "valley" bucks!

lip_ripper00
12-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Very nice!!:-D:-D

Blainer
12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Absolutely fantastic!!

avadad
12-05-2013, 12:57 AM
incredible! Wow you 3 just schooled the rest of us mere mortals. Congrats!

bridger
12-05-2013, 04:42 AM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

hunter1947
12-05-2013, 05:06 AM
This is what hunting is all about tree brothers hunting together the tree of you did very good on canceling tree tags hell of a accomplishment ,,some nice eating meat there for you ,,congrats to all tree of you..

jonz
12-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Good job guys.

kennyj
12-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Good for you guys, with 3 great bucks!! Looks like you have a honey hole there. Tell RJ to keep his hat on.
kenny

BCHunterTV
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
That mnt is gonna be busy this weekend now lol

Rackem
12-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Congrats on the hat trick! Nice work!

Was your brother wearing a toque just before this pic was taken?? :)

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/IMG_0499_zpscbdc9a37.jpg

GrandA
12-05-2013, 09:03 AM
unreal congrats

coach
12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Outstanding season. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Rackem
12-05-2013, 09:19 AM
This is what hunting is all about tree brothers hunting together the tree of you did very good on canceling tree tags hell of a accomplishment ,,some nice eating meat there for you ,,congrats to all tree of you..

Are you mayhaps, French Canadian? That is a lot of trees! :)

tribal
12-05-2013, 09:19 AM
way to go guys! tough area to go through, but nothin like knowin your local area. RJ texted me that photo when he got home, and i didnt notice the buck until 20 seconds after staring at his hair.

thanks for sharing!

David Heitsman
12-05-2013, 09:33 AM
I live on Clayburn Rd. and am seeing bucks in the evenings now out prowling around. Still don't have a blacktail though. Sometimes I'll see them after driving back 6 hours from somewhere chasing deer and I just shake my head. Gotta get a bow and give that a try.

Congratulations guys.

ASPEN
12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Get the big 4 pt hanging around Ocean park pizza on Old Yale rd

proguide66
12-05-2013, 01:53 PM
HOLY !!! what a riot !! congats !

ravensfoot
12-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Congrats, Nice Job. Hunting the LM is a tough go. Lots of under growth.
Some dandy bucks you three!

BiG Boar
12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Great accomplishment. Thanks for a great post!

limit time
12-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Shit...I think I have pics of all three of them! I will check them later...if its is, they would come down and eat the crab apples from my neighbours tree. Way to go!

takla1
12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Way to go boys!those who hunt the elusive bt and know there habitat can appreciate your determination ,work,and accomplishment....congrates some fine sumas b-t's

redthorn
12-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Reading that out loud, I thought it was Stephane talking to me.. :) But yes, it is a ton of fun to head out and hunt together. Split up and meet back up throughout the day and keep each other posted on what we're seeing. And it's really nice when you have long drag back and no way to get a machine in.

Not quite as exciting, but still very fun is the processing afterwards. Deer in the cooler, woodstove going, and just talking and cutting away...

Congrats on the hat trick! Nice work!

Was your brother wearing a toque just before this pic was taken?? :)

A camo mesh facemask actually. But that just made him look like a terrorist. So he took it off and I said he looked like a dork with his hair all flat and that he should run his hand through it. Now he just looks like a wierdo hipster.

Shit...I think I have pics of all three of them! I will check them later...if its is, they would come down and eat the crab apples from my neighbours tree. Way to go!

I would love to see those if they are (or aren't ) the same bucks. I highly doubt it unless they are ranging pretty far, but who knows. Send me a PM of them.

Getbent
12-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Nice work....thanks for the post

BDN9
12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Great blacktails! Great story. Nice job!

If you don't mind can you tell us when you had them really responding were you using bleats, grunts, rattling or a combination? Were they calling back or just coming in quietly? I haven't been very successful with this so would love to hear more.

redthorn
12-05-2013, 11:11 PM
We were using mouthblown grunt calls and doe bleat "can calls". The sequence on them is usually 1-2 low grunts, wait a few seconds and then tip the can call several times, and then give two shorter, louder grunts right after. Sounds like a Buck calling to a doe, her responding as being in heat, and then him telling her he will be right over there... Gets real bucks all worked up that someone is getting the ladies in his territory.

RJ had disturbed his buck out of his bed, but the buck hadn't seen him well enough to establish him as a threat, and he was sneaking over the top of the rise into the next ravine. RJ gave the call sequence and the Buck turned and came right into under 30yds on him.

RJ also turned and called in a smaller 3pt that day that he had no available shot on with the same sequence.

DeDutch was using mostly grunts on his, but I think he had thrown in a doe bleat as well.

I tried rattling and grunting in a little draw, but only managed to pull in a few inquisitive and horny does.

This calling sequence seems to only work in the full rut, as the bucks are really aggressive then. Last weekend they hadn't the slightest interest in calls. I only tipped the can call occasionally to help cover my noise moving around in the bush, but didn't have anything respond. And I couldn't even pause the 2 pt on his escape.

BDN9
12-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks a lot for the information on that! I'll give that a shot next year.

BuckNaked
12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
great job gents!

BimmerBob
12-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Congrats on a successful season, really nice to hear. I especially enjoyed your personal story of the hunt and how close you were able to get to him even as he watched you coming in, eye contact then a reaction but too late for him, a masterful job! Great job all of you!