PDA

View Full Version : Big game hunting. compound bow or rifle

Goose T404
12-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice about big game hunting. I come from a non-hunting family so I have never had the pleasure of being able to hunt big animals while I was growing up. I grew up in ladner and got into waterfowl hunting with my buddies over the last few years making me an outcast of the family lol. I have loved it since day 1.
Anyways, big game hunting is what I want to get into. Would you guys recommend that I start off hunting with a rifle. It has mostly been the idea of hunting with a compound bow that I know I would love most. But from what ive seen on tv and from what ive heard, bow hunting poses more challenges to the hunter.
I thought I could maybe purchase a compound bow and eventually go on a guided hunt so that I can do it right the first time. Do you guys think that would be a good idea. Most of the people I have talked to about bow hunting actually started hunting with a rifle in the beginning.
any tips you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Goose

keoke
12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I started with a rifle and have taken 2 deer and 2 bears since 2011, compound bow 0.

gamehunter6o
12-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Start hunting with a rifle first. Get some animals on the ground the easy way before bow hunting.

Bc Deer Hunter
12-04-2013, 08:01 PM
That's great you want to hunt big game!! I will tell you a bit about how i started. Though i wanted to start out with a bow. I started out with a gun just to pop my deer Cherrie per say and after about 2 years of harvesting deer and gaining confidence and experience in field dressing ect i had saved up and bought a x bow. This was a huge learning curve and proved to be way more fun than my rifle. I harvested a deer the first season i used it but it was pretty heavy for the hikes i started to do, so i sold that and bought a compound!! Now about a year latter i find myself only using my bow when i go out and have harvested a black bear and passed on at least 20 small mule deer bucks that have been all within range (30 yards) just this year!! :D That was roughly what i did but if you are leaning more towards a bow right away i would say go for it!! If you get one know you will have tons of time to practice (which is key) and attend 3d shoots through out the spring, which are a hobby in themselves!! It will be a learning curve no doubt but with just even youtube you will be able to find tons of instructional videos on how to shoot a bow, how to choose a bow, ect ect Once you scout out some hunting areas and get off the 'beaten' path im sure you would have know problem getting yourself a deer with 'your' bow next season! Know need to drop 1000's of dollars to hire a guide, when im sure you will be able to find a great mentor on this site along! Let me know if you would like any tips or have questions! later!

bochunk2000
12-04-2013, 10:03 PM
I started with a rifle and then tried bow hunting for deer. I still used a rifle for bear the next season and the bow for deer...since that though it has been bow for everything. If you are interested in bow hunting then there is no reason not to start with it first. As said practice practice practice. read all you can on shot placement shots to take and shots not to take. I have had way more fun hunting with a bow and coming him empty handed than shooting a deer with a rifle. This being said, if you want meat in the beginning take a rifle. I usually limit out with my bow each year for deer but I have been doing it since about 2004 now and love it...I have my kids starting at it now for bunnies.

Also I would agree not to spend Money on a guide right off the bat. Just an unnecessary expense for a beginner. Spend it on toys. I would suggest that a good rangefinder is indispensable.

And there are many great bow hunters on this site who will answer any questions you have. PM me any time I will do my best to help...oh and btw...welcome to the addiction.

greybark
12-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey Goose , The indoor Abbotsford 3-D event is coming up in Jan . Good idea to attend . Lots of new and (recommended) used bows on vender display .
Cheers

E.V.B.H.
12-04-2013, 11:03 PM
I started with a bow, nothing to worry about. I've been hunting for 8 years and have still only shot three animals with my rifle, but well over a dozen with my bow. Why wait if you know it's what you want to do. Hit up every 3d shoot you can and you'll be good to go.

tomahawk
12-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Go with your heart, a compound bow is much more challenging then a rifle. I was uncertain that i would like bow hunting so i bought a "kit" bow and sanded and finished it and put it together which was fun and taught me about the bow a little. Used that to harvest a bear, bull moose and 2 blacktails then knew i was hooked and upgraded to a factory compound and got another bull moose, blacktail, wolf and mnt goat. However if your trying to provide meat for the family a rifle ups your odds of kill by a huge margin.

Gateholio
12-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Although I began my hunting career with a bow, I'd reccomend a rifle to get started. You will have more opportunity to get your first animal. You can always get a bow later.

Goose T404
12-05-2013, 05:50 PM
thank you all for the great responses, I will be sure to send some PMS to you guys if I need some more advice. I am leaning towards going with a bow, I will have lots of time to practice and I know for myself, it appeals to me more.

thanks again guys!
cheers

Goose

jetboat jim
12-06-2013, 05:24 PM
started hunting in 2010 with a compound bow
2011...bear and a blacktail
2012...... bear and a whitetail
2013.......blacktail................
passed on several bears passed on several deer , you can do it wth the bow , you just have to put in the time and be dedicated

Goose T404
12-07-2013, 01:15 AM
started hunting in 2010 with a compound bow
2011...bear and a blacktail
2012...... bear and a whitetail
2013.......blacktail................
passed on several bears passed on several deer , you can do it wth the bow , you just have to put in the time and be dedicated

great to hear, that gives me much more hope. Awesome job man

BDN9
12-09-2013, 12:01 PM
As with others I think you can start with bowhunting if you are dedicated to it. I started big game hunting with a bow but didn't get anything until my second year and I went a lot. Hopefully you know someone that bow hunts that can take you and show you how to find good areas and what you should be doing. The early and late bow seasons are a great way to get some action and many the lessons that you'll need to learn (Unfortunately, I still learn a lessons once and miss deer!).

I have a rifle that I've used on deer, goats and elk but I have almost no interest in using it on deer anymore. Bowhunting is so much more exciting and gratifying when you are successful but it can be very challenging and frustrating too. Part of why I love it is because I like archery. I practice year round trying to shoot farther and longer groups and this really helps when the season opens. If it's not something you are really interested in and can put the time in a rifle may be a better way to go. At least when you see a deer you'll have a much higher chance of getting it.

TheProvider
12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Its a personal preference. It does have more of a challenge as you need to get much closer than with a rifle. But theres nothing wrong with that. You'll pick up on stalking and tracking skills much faster as you use them more often.

I grew up trapping and hunting. Always played with bows even though my dad wasnt a bowhunter. First year big game hunting I shot a bear and moose with a rifle. Those were my first two big game with a rifle and my last twowith a rifle. I switched to bows and muzzleloaders. Muzzleloader was great when I didnt have time to practice with the bow. Now my muzzleloaders collect dust as I am primarily a bow hunter.

If you have the time and patience go with the bow if thats what interests you. You'll have a lot to learn but no matter what hunting is always about learning more. Good luck

emerson
12-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Without a mentor getting some success when starting hunting is difficult. Starting with a bow is that much more difficult. It depends how long you are willing to work hard before getting down. If you are good with several years of work first go with your heart. Hunting only seems easy until you start pouring resources into it.

jetboat jim
12-09-2013, 04:54 PM
i started without a mentor ,no family that hunt
just jumped in neck deep

emerson
12-10-2013, 07:22 AM
i started without a mentor ,no family that hunt
just jumped in neck deep
Me too, still playing catch up. Grew up in the sticks, but
Dad is a workaholic.

Wild one
12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
It all comes down to your reason for getting out there hunting

If it is for the challenge and just being out in the bush there is nothing wrong with starting with a bow. Just be ready to watch many animals get away before you can get a shot.

If you really want to harvest game a rifle will increase your odds and takes less effort to learn.

It all comes down to what kind of experience you are looking for

island6
12-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I started hunting in 2011 with my cousin and a mentor. In my first season I shot a bear with a rifle in the spring with my cousin. That fall I missed 4 deer with my bow and finally I put an arrow threw a big island blacktail that November. Last year I couldn't shoot a deer with a rifle or bow because I thought they were too "small" because I had a fluke encounter with the deer I shot the year before (4x4 with brows). So this year with the advice of a friend I decided to start my hunting career again and become more of a "Hunter". I shot a doe with my bow in Early September and went on an awesome trip in October with two friends and shot my first deer with a rifle (little spike). I guess what i'm saying is if you are willing to put the time in to practice and you surround yourself with good people that are willing to help you, you will be successful in hunting Big Game. Practice, Practice, Practice. If I were you I wouldn't pay for guided trip right away. You have to hunt the way it works for you (within the regs) so get out and try it before booking a hunt. As for bow or rifle. I personally find bow hunting more rewarding but also more frustrating depends if your up for the challenge

12-14-2013, 10:05 PM
I agree with Wildone, if you are looking for the challenge and excitement of getting up close and personal with the animal you are chasing then get into bow hunting right off the get go. If you are just looking to put some meat in your freezer than grab a rifle and increase your odds. I hunted for many years with a rifle as no one in my hunting circle bow hunted. A few years ago I bought a bow and practiced a ton before heading out hunting. After having a bull elk 15 yards away bugling at me during my first season with the bow I was hooked. Unfortunately I did not get that bull but the experience of having him so close gave me a knew appreciation for the hunt! Since then I have taken a couple deer with my bow, came close on more elk and now would rather take my bow than my rifle. I do still grab my rifle if I am getting close to the end of the season and need to put some meat in the freezer, there is no reason why you can't get into both. One big advantage to bow hunting also is the option of the earlier seasons and bow only zones. In the end it will be up to you on want you want the hunt to be for you.

Goose T404
12-16-2013, 03:33 AM
thanks alot for all the respones guys. For me, its not about putting meat in the freezer, i only hunt waterfowl now, but its all about being out there and doing it for the challenge. I have decided that i am going to jump right in and start with a bow. Unfortunately, i dont know anybody on a personal level who hunts with a bow, but i am up for the challenge of doing it myself. I have another good friend who wants to bowhunt so we are going to work really hard for it. I have alot of extra time on my hands so i dont mind putting in the work. I feel putting a deer down with a bow would be the most rewarding feeling. I am looking forward to all the hard work and possible success.
thanks alot guys!
cheers.

Goose