PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted with hound questions

BULLNUTTS
12-04-2013, 05:14 PM
1st I'll say I've been reading an readin old posts and till can buy some of the books sujested [like wicks book-still looking for it] I thought some immediate help might be on here.
I have an redbone hound about 8 months old now.Also I didnt have him from a pup .I had first pick of litter from breeder but decided on this "returned" hound for manny reasons but most of all was his big heart.His previous owner 'loved' him and he has not been abused.however his REAL hunting training is behind.I bin trash breaking him from tracking deer and getting him to come when called,he is coming along fast but still gets so very focused while "working" that I have tryed to be very careful handling situation because he so sensitive..Could use advice here too. Also been running him and exercising him[ free running in open areas as I creep along in pick up ] and trying to condition his feet more and more as well as uping his nutrition to proper levels and getting awesome growth and results. He really trys hard to please- he is all heart.loves to track n trail.loves getting out.One thing- he doesnt bark or bay...He is a very quiet dog- so far- is this normal? Just seems odd not to hear the hound barking or baying. .I too have sooo much to learn-I'm eager to teach him but want to do right.I have already appied some of the great tips I read on here with good sucess. I dont have proper collars for running free right now but I'm thinking its WAY to early for him to try such a dangerous thing as he would likly just get killed by cat or wolves as he not savey enough yet.I do plan on getting him his gps collar - just in case shit goes sideways and he gets loose on a track he finds,i can find him and save him.I would like to find some experienced houndsmen that would allow the young fella[and his papa lol ] to go out on a few hunts or even work outs with thier hounds- this guy is super friendly and never heard of a problem with other animals with him- cretanly not since I have him.Now I have a lynx tag and was planning to take him on leash and harness to find a hot track to try hunt him on it.not sure how sucessfull this might be- any ideas? not sure how quikly lynx will tree.I just want him to be able to go out and do "some hunting" as he just loves it.Any extra advise from you expert houndsmen with proper handling of this great hound will be awesomely appreciated. thx

BULLNUTTS
12-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Manny thx for the PMs guys Gratitude.
The pup is coming good and we have word of a local big tomas lynx from a friend so will be heading out this morning with pup on harness to try first tracking on live one.Its pretty wolf safe area so might let him loose if we catch up to the cat.I dont think this lynx has ever been hunted before so hopefully he pops up quikly,but were ready for the long haul hike if need be to try to get the young fellas first tree.
He found his bark/bay while watching tv of all things!! it was a huning vidio of hounds chasing cats- boy did he love that!Thought he was going to jump through the tv.he loves that show lol perhaps I'll play it for him before we go too.He actually sits on the couch and watches ,baying with the packs as they trail an tree- growling when there is closeup of the big cats .cool good to finally hear my hounds voice.
good huntin to all

Clint_S
12-14-2013, 09:18 AM
He found his bark/bay while watching tv of all things!! it was a huning vidio of hounds chasing cats- boy did he love that!Thought he was going to jump through the tv.he loves that show lol perhaps I'll play it for him before we go too.He actually sits on the couch and watches ,baying with the packs as they trail an tree- growling when there is closeup of the big cats .cool good to finally hear my hounds voice.
good huntin to all

That's hilarious.
He may not be open on track but he's open on couch :-D

Big Lew
12-14-2013, 09:26 AM
One thing I've found when training and exercising my big lab...don't do it on asphalt or concrete. When they skid to a stop, or make sudden turns, they can rip their paw pads. Road mulch seemed to work well for both my dog and my horses.

BlacktailStalker
12-14-2013, 05:49 PM
You're going to have to buck up and get collars if you want to train him properly.
its unlikely you will be able to pressure a lynx enough on leash to tree him but don't let that stop you from trying.
I would get a tritronics set up before anything else, this way you can run trainers and still control your dog off leash, if you gamble letting go without a tracking collar.
I wouldn't do that though. Check the hound forums south of the border, lots of stuff for sale on them, cheap. You might even be able to post a wanted ad and someone might just help ya out, some hound guys are good likes that with old tracking boxes etc.

Stop breaking him on trash til he knows what he is allowed to chase.
You can't properly break a dog on trash wwhile holding the other end of the leash, if your dog has any brains he will instantly relate this to you. Dogs that are smart enough to trash when you aren't there and not when you are, are a serious pain in the ass and you'll spend years hating him.
When it comes time to light him up on trash, let hhim get out there so he's right enjoyin himself then roll him, so he comes wailing back like its the end of the world, when he ccomes back, completely ignore him like nothing happened so he thinks "those things (deer,elk,moose etc) f'n suck!" Be careful when setting them up on trash too. Ideally you want to road them into it not throw them down on it. Initially.

Every wolf in the country isn't looking to kill your dog. It's a fear that you need to get over or it will ruin your fun. Do your part and block a cat in as best you can and let the dog go if there aren't any wolves heading in as well. Generally if the wolves are headed one way and the cat the other, you're often fine. That being said just because there are no wolf tracks headed into a 1km square area where the cat is, doesn't mean there aren't 6 laying on a moose kill that haven't left for two days. Or on the next ridge listening.
Most importantly, say goodbye every time you let go. You just can't control the ups and downs in this game and its a harsh reality, fortunately the highs are so good, it keeps most guys going.
Take everything Wick says with the opinion that everything he says isn't right and certainly not the best and only way to do things.
Its really not as complicated as it seems and at the end of the day if you do your part and take the dog to the bush and he has it in him, he'll put it together.
Running with GOOD dogs or buying an older dog, will lessen the learning curve greatly and you will see more game than frustration.
Have fun and good luck.

horshur
12-14-2013, 06:29 PM
maybe I should not say but I never really caught much with a dog under a year so??????????....lynx can be discouraging and working a lynx track with a leashed dog I would rather get a root canal.
It is a good rule of thumb no trash breaking till the pup has seen some game.....I never have had a dog didn't trash and I get better over the years avoiding it but that never stopped us from catching game dog learns more trashing then sitting in the kennel or tied to the chain (somthin to think about)

BULLNUTTS
12-15-2013, 02:55 AM
I just cannot express enough my gratefullness for the help here guys. Seems the more I learn the more I'm realising just how very much more there is to proper handling of a good dog.All things i try with him are in the woods[except for at home where I have 12 acres in the country]but yes I think theres lots I could do at home too yet,still working on stopping him from bothering the horses ect-lucky he not been kicked yet.,only because they are seasoned older horses ...but luck runs out too.I am on a limited budget right now, however I'm fortunate that right now have the time to spend with him.I'm thinking its time for some swapping or selling to raise cash for his equipment.I really dont want to let him loose either without the gps collars for following and locating him and the training/control collar.I had to catch up to him once already when he trashed on a fresh buck track and feel I was lucky to do that- took some fast moving and a lot of sweat,but lady luck too-that buck could have went miles and miles.Scarry.
We went out today and found the big tomas lynx we were told about but tracks were cold and rained out , about two days old or more so pretty cold track.Lots rabits in the area so thinking he will stay. We had planned on trying to get after him soon as we cut a hot track.Might just be exercise but I need it even more than poochie lol so onwards we go, but I wont be letting go at this point.I got him a harness and good lead so we will just go out an have fun if we catch the cat great if not its still a sunny day out with my boy- heaven knows he not going to complain ha ha.
I tried to set up a clothsline run for him but he not likes and just cried so i just let him out by himself-checking very very often and he has'nt been leaving the property,I found he responds well to praise as rewards..He stays inside house here so no kennel-perhaps next year for summer ,but he goes everywhere with me so will see about that too.And yes I agree- Cant get the experience he/we need with him on a chain or kennel and me on the couch even if the movies are fun lol.Again Gratitude and good huntin