PDA

View Full Version : Freeze up. Ducks?

rides bike to work
12-04-2013, 01:11 PM
What changes in duck behaviors happen when the temp drops and the fields freeze up.

lorneparker1
12-04-2013, 01:51 PM
find where the water isn't frozen and kill them. They will be stacked.

Ron.C
12-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm no waterfowl expert by any definition, but I agree with Lorne. Where I grew up in Southern Ontario, those equipped to hunt in big open water did awesome when the smaller lakes/rivers froze up and the fields were covered in snow.

rides bike to work
12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Mill lake it is

Cdn-Redneck
12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Is it worth busting up ice In the fields to open up some water.

Fella
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Mill lake it is
Stay out of my honey hole! :D

lorneparker1
12-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Is it worth busting up ice In the fields to open up some water.

If you are in a high traffic area sure! But remember birds are going to fields to eat. My theory take it for what its worth, is during a big freeze the food in the fields gets harder to dig up and digest. Ever try to pick a piece of corn up that's frozen solid to the ground? There fore they spend more time on the water eating water based foods. Lots of ducks have died in fields during a freeze up but it changes there behaviour. IF you do bust open a hole do your best to make it look "open" instead of "busted open" i.e remove the big chunks of ice if possible.

Dutch
12-04-2013, 11:14 PM
The fields freeze then the ditches and they head for the bay. Still a little jump shooting out the valley in the ditches that are not froze solid yet. The marsh should be filling up now...

Kudu
12-09-2013, 07:08 AM
The fields freeze then the ditches and they head for the bay. Still a little jump shooting out the valley in the ditches that are not froze solid yet. The marsh should be filling up now...

Sounded like WW3 down there this weekend - lots of "good ol sky busting" going on - as usuall!

And - yes the marsh is filling up with birds.

Sako 75
12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Should be good shooting this coming weekend and next week for my group of duck hunting buddies. No more ice on the (ponds) fields. Ducks are going to be dumb again.

f350ps
12-09-2013, 09:51 PM
The marsh has been a tough slog, not nearly what it should be like with a hard freeze like this! If ya wanna kill widgeon you will do well. It's been very sporadic! K

Dutch
12-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Well there back out the valley ground was still pretty stiff for robo but layed on the stand to get it in (122K), then kneeled in the corn they did not care , toooo hungry I guess