PDA

View Full Version : Trade my Coho Salmon fillets for some Venison Steaks?

bone
12-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Anyone interested in Coho fillets that I caught this fall? I was thinking of trading for some Venison steaks?

I'm located in South Burnaby. PM me with any interest.

Tony.

Philcott
12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Tony,

I'm not sure but aren't there some legal issues trading in game meat? Someone else will undoubtedly have a better handle on this than I do but I'd be checking into it before making any deals.

BiG Boar
12-04-2013, 12:34 PM
If it's legal, I'm in for moose. I can't eat this whole damn thing.

Ferenc
12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I was comming down from up country with a elk cut and wrapped...and stopped in at a friends in kamloops and traded some steaks for some organic chickens ...not thinking...on my way home got stopped at a game check in Yale...Co checked out my coolers and paper work from the meat cutter and ask about the packaged birds...told him that I did a trade....he shook his head and said not supposed to do that...no written warning .... and have a good day..and nice elk!! on my way with everything....so in his words...I would say no.....also page 5 of the regs maybe explains it better....

Dannybuoy
12-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Tony,

I'm not sure but aren't there some legal issues trading in game meat? Someone else will undoubtedly have a better handle on this than I do but I'd be checking into it before making any deals.

Unless of course its " traditional" :wink:

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I will give meat to whomever I want and they can bite me!

TexasWalker
12-04-2013, 01:03 PM

That is a great attitude towards the wildlife laws.

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 01:09 PM
That is a great attitude towards the wildlife laws.

Well it's not an attitude towards wildlife laws, but one BS aspect of it.
They want to regulate if I give my neighbor a f'n steak.
F that.

coach
12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
F that.

you shot something? Did I miss the story and pics? :-D

Philcott
12-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Giving a steak to your neighbour is quite different than trading 20 lbs of salmon for 20 lbs of venison.

Feel free to give your friend a steak. There's no rules against that.

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
you shot something? Did I miss the story and pics? :-D

Ha,ha damn it coach, no I didn't.
Did not see a damn thing on the weekend and with temperatures +10 down here, they were all up where I can't find them.
It's colder now so I'm hoping this weekend is going to be better. Last time it was cold I saw a deer.
Only 4 days for deer left for me. Then after that I may have to eat dog. :mrgreen:

dougan
12-04-2013, 01:20 PM
F that. I agree no money changing hands what's the big deal. I will also give meat to my friends and if they wana throw me a piece of fish back great .

andrewscag
12-04-2013, 01:22 PM
^. That's how I understand the regs too. A gift is a gift and legal. Trade implies a monetary exchange and is illegal. If you trade your neighbor your car for his truck you're both going to have to pay taxes on the assessed value despite the fact that no $ changed hands. I'm sure the COs have better things to do but I'd confirm that trade is legal before doing it. Especially on a forum

Keta1969
12-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Actually I believe this is against the law both ways as I know you're not allowed to sell sports caught fish so I would be surprised if you're allowed to trade it.

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
^. That's how I understand the regs too. A gift is a gift and legal. Trade implies a monetary exchange and is illegal. If you trade your neighbor your car for his truck you're both going to have to pay taxes on the assessed value despite the fact that no $ changed hands. I'm sure the COs have better things to do but I'd confirm that trade is legal before doing it. Especially on a forum

The government will spend every penny you have to enforce it's laws.

andrewscag
12-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Yup. .

coach
12-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Ha,ha damn it coach, no I didn't.
Did not see a damn thing on the weekend and with temperatures +10 down here, they were all up where I can't find them.
It's colder now so I'm hoping this weekend is going to be better. Last time it was cold I saw a deer.
Only 4 days for deer left for me. Then after that I may have to eat dog. :mrgreen:

Good luck then. I hope you do tag out. I'm always hoping for the new hunter. That first buck will be quite a rush.

Back on track with the original thread then: it's perfectly legal to give your Kirkland beef steak to your neighbour. :-D

Philcott
12-04-2013, 01:33 PM
My concern is advertizing to make a trade on a forum. You never know who might say, "sure I have some deer steaks to trade for salmon. Where do you want to me to make the trade?" You kind of leave yourself open, if you know what I mean.

This is just my way of flashing my headlights when I see someone driving towards a speed trap.

Mikey Rafiki
12-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Last month I gave my buddy some elk burger.

The same day my buddy gave me some moose roasts.

Just giving. Not trading.

quaint bucket
12-04-2013, 01:43 PM
If it's legal, I'm in for moose. I can't eat this whole damn thing.

I can help with that! :wink:

Unfortuantely, trading ("trafficking") is illegal as per page 14 of the BC Hunting regulations under "IT'S UNLAWFUL." It's #5 and #6.

Having said that, looking at the definition of "trafficking"

Traffic or Trafficking - means to buy, sell, trade or distribute for gain or consideration or to offer to do so.

In this case, you can gift your fillet to someone and they can choose to reciprocate their appreciation by gifting you whatever they choose to gift. The key thing is that there's no specification or set value on what's expected or whatever.

LEGALESES.

coach
12-04-2013, 01:43 PM
My concern is advertizing to make a trade on a forum. You never know who might say, "sure I have some deer steaks to trade for salmon. Where do you want to me to make the trade?" You kind of leave yourself open, if you know what I mean.

This is just my way of flashing my headlights when I see someone driving towards a speed trap.

Yup. You did the right thing. Best to keep the trade offer off the forum.

andrewscag
12-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Personally I don't have a problem with the rules against trading game meat. I think it would drastically increase the pressure on game species and increase poaching. Might as well shoot everything you can if you might be able to trade it for accounting services or whatever down the line

Not the OP's intent though I realize

Keta1969
12-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Personally I don't have a problem with the rules against trading game meat. I think it would drastically increase the pressure on game species and increase poaching. Might as well shoot everything you can if you might be able to trade it for accounting services or whatever down the line

Not the OP's intent though I realize

Exactly, and no offense to the OP but seems like you caught more than you need, could always leave a few more spawners.

BlacktailStalker
12-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Giving a steak to your neighbour is quite different than trading 20 lbs of salmon for 20 lbs of venison.

Its still a crock of shit.
I say they got their $ for the licences on both sides, the game is owned by the "harvester" so they can go **** their hat :)
Besides if I give my friend some yote burger and he gives me some sheep or elk steaks at the same time, it's not a trade unless we agreed to trade.
We agree to give each other a present.
Just like fine print, it's all in the wording :biggrin:

bone
12-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Didn't realize this was illegal. "Trafficking in wildlife
A person who traffics in live wildlife or wildlife meat, except as authorized by regulation or a permit, commits an offence."

Thats why I love this forum.

Quantafer
12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Let's say that one's wife is a bit of a "wild animal", would it be illegal to trade her with a buddies wife of the same demeanor. :-D

DANOSON
12-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't no what to expect to get back if I traded any of my moose it was only$338/lb and my elk was only$650/lb(lost transmission)

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Didn't realize this was illegal. "Trafficking in wildlife
A person who traffics in live wildlife or wildlife meat, except as authorized by regulation or a permit, commits an offence."

Thats why I love this forum.

It's not the trafficking. It's the trading that's BS.
Trafficking implies large quantities for money.

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I say they got their $ for the licences on both sides, the game is owned by the "harvester" so they can go **** their hat :)
Besides if I give my friend some yote burger and he gives me some sheep or elk steaks at the same time, it's not a trade unless we agreed to trade.

What ever happened with being a good neighbour. :confused:
You know what now, I'm just going to dump anything I don't eat, at the boat launch.

whognu
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM

it's all fun till someone loses an eye......

or, someone perverts the 'gift' aspect of this transaction (which "should" be seen as 2 friends swapping a whitey roast for a
spring salmon)

my point would be this

I have a buddy on the coast who does not hunt yet catches lots of salmon, halibut & cod

I hunt yet do not fish...........

therefore if they change the law to state I can trade one fish for one roast then how soon does it become one whitey for a tote full of salmon

that is a genie that will never get put back in the bottle

laws have to be dumbed down to the 'worst case scenario' because sure as shite, it will get there

whognu

Dannybuoy
12-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Earth calling adriaticum ........ So where do YOU draw the line at trading ?? some deer steaks for some wine or beer at a liquor store ? or maybe trade for Chinese dinner? .... you have to know that it would get abused right ?

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 04:39 PM
it's all fun till someone loses an eye......

or, someone perverts the 'gift' aspect of this transaction (which "should" be seen as 2 friends swapping a whitey roast for a
spring salmon)

my point would be this

I have a buddy on the coast who does not hunt yet catches lots of salmon, halibut & cod

I hunt yet do not fish...........

therefore if they change the law to state I can trade one fish for one roast then how soon does it become one whitey for a tote full of salmon

that is a genie that will never get put back in the bottle

laws have to be dumbed down to the 'worst case scenario' because sure as shite, it will get there

whognu

If you have a limit of 2 WT deer tags per year and you shoot 2 deer. It's nobody's business what you do with the meat.
That's why there are commercial salmon limits and recreational salmon limits and possession limits.
If I want to empty my freezer and give you a tote of salmon, it's my business. But I will go hungry.

But I do understand your point.

BRvalley
12-04-2013, 04:40 PM
]It's not the trafficking. It's the trading [/B]that's BS.

what dictionary do you have? my international trade prof would have a hay day with this thread

gotta love the English language, 20 words that cross over on definition lol

trafficking = trading (and also buying, selling, shipping, etc)...in its simplest of definitions, is basically anything to do with an exchange of goods

the simple solution to the OP and others that want to trade a little meat with friends...just do it, and keep your lips shut about it....

frenchbar
12-04-2013, 04:42 PM
i'll trade 3 beaver pelts for a bottle of crown royal and some deer jerky...anyone....:mrgreen::wink:

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Earth calling adriaticum ........ So where do YOU draw the line at trading ?? some deer steaks for some wine or beer at a liquor store ? or maybe trade for Chinese dinner? .... you have to know that it would get abused right ?

Trading is if you are advertising meat and giving it to someone you don't know for something.
Everything else is neighbourly love.
Naturally there is only so many deer per year I can legally shoot so it should be nobody's business what I do with the meat.
That's why there are provincial bag limits on deer.
No?

Dannybuoy
12-04-2013, 04:45 PM
i'll trade 3 beaver pelts for a bottle of crown royal and some deer jerky...anyone....:mrgreen:

Did you mean you will gift me 3 beaverpelts because if you did I will gift you some crown royal and some jerky :mrgreen:

Dannybuoy
12-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Trading is if you are advertising meat and giving it to someone you don't know for something.
Everything else is neighbourly love.
Naturally there is only so many deer per year I can legally shoot so it should be nobody's business what I do with the meat.
That's why there are provincial bag limits on deer.
No?
The answer is NO . you got that part right .... the government Needs to regulate some people ..that why we have laws etc .

adriaticum
12-04-2013, 04:47 PM
what dictionary do you have? my international trade prof would have a hay day with this thread

trafficking = trading (and also buying, selling, shipping, etc)...in its simplest of definitions, is basically anything to do with an exchange of goods

the simple solution to the OP and others that want to trade a little meat with friends...just do it, and keep your lips shut about it....

I don't think you understood my post.
And yeah I agree with your simple solution.

RINO
12-04-2013, 04:52 PM
i'll trade 3 beaver pelts for a bottle of crown royal and some deer jerky...anyone....:mrgreen::wink:

Please submit photos of Beavers!!

rcar
12-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Although I share your sentiment, the law is there to prevent abuse of our wildlife. Crooks screw up everything for honest people in every aspect of all our lives. Laws have to be overly general and restrictive to prevent dishonest arseholes from finding a loophole.

pnbrock
12-04-2013, 06:45 PM
I thought this post was a baited one from a member of the fn.

Kudu
12-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I thought this post was a baited one from a member of the fn.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/fe262847632d6ced70258597fd2a3a85.jpg

goatdancer
12-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Unfortuantely, trading ("trafficking") is illegal as per page 14 of the BC Hunting regulations under "IT'S UNLAWFUL." It's #5 and #6.

Traffic or Trafficking - means to buy, sell, trade or distribute for gain or consideration or to offer to do so.

In this case, you can gift your fillet to someone and they can choose to reciprocate their appreciation by gifting you whatever they choose to gift. The key thing is that there's no specification or set value on what's expected or whatever.

LEGALESES.

That's as simple as it can get. Doesn't matter if anyone likes it or not.

16ga
12-04-2013, 09:13 PM

LEGALESES.

But doesn't #6 imply that if the game was legally harvested you can "traffic".

"to traffic in dead wildlife or a part of
wildlife except when the wildlife was
lawfully killed in BC during an open
season under the Wildlife Act or lawfully
brought into BC, or when trafficking in
cast antlers or when the wildlife or part
of wildlife has been processed into a
product that no longer resembles the
original wildlife or part."

So have I broken the law when I traded Elk antlers (legally harvested) for highland beef and free range eggs?

shottyshooter
12-05-2013, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=when the wildlife or part

[/QUOTE]

I asked at the border when my BIL offered me some of his elk. They looked into it and got back to me. They said any commercially processed meat that was legally obtained is just meat when you come across the border. Basically if it was "commercially packaged" you're fine.

The "processed" part above seems similiar to the legaleese they were quoting me. Sausage or steak no longer resembles the origional animal. Might fly?!?!?!

Anytime I've had a question of interpretation I've e-mailed the CO head office and someone from the department of legal answers (LOL!) e-mails me a response that I can feel confident with.

BlacktailStalker
12-05-2013, 02:28 AM
What ever happened with being a good neighbour. :confused:
You know what now, I'm just going to dump anything I don't eat, at the boat launch.

Thats right. Howdy ho neighbour, saw u outside wanted to give you some yote burger to try.
thanks pal! Here, try some of these elk steaks if you don't mind.

bridger
12-05-2013, 03:20 AM
That's as simple as it can get. Doesn't matter if anyone likes it or not.

So if you "give" a farmer a salmon in return for the right to hunt on his property are you trafficking? From the sublime to the ridculous?

hunter1947
12-05-2013, 04:18 AM
If it is true about trading is illegal you can do this give your game meat to anyone even a CO all legal..

Transporting meat or giving your meat to protect you butt just have to wright a small letter giving your tag number hunting L number your signature that you give the meat to whoever all legal ,,just don't sell your meat ,,same goes if the other person wants to return the favor with whatever they give you back ,,chicken etc ,,traffic or selling is illegal..

Example the CO stops you wants to see the license and tag if the person has game meat with them when transporting from A to B a letter from the person that shot the game animal all ok legal what can a CO do ???

hunter1947
12-05-2013, 04:42 AM
I will trad my women for a few salmon is this called prostitution ???...

hunter1947
12-05-2013, 04:47 AM

Xtwo exactly no one will ever know..

adriaticum
12-05-2013, 06:54 AM
But doesn't #6 imply that if the game was legally harvested you can "traffic".

"to traffic in dead wildlife or a part of
wildlife except when the wildlife was
lawfully killed in BC during an open
season under the Wildlife Act or lawfully
brought into BC, or when trafficking in
cast antlers or when the wildlife or part

So have I broken the law when I traded Elk antlers (legally harvested) for highland beef and free range eggs?

This paragraph that I missed and seems many have missed "except when the wildlife was lawfully killed in BC during an open season" basically answers the entire question. I can't believe I missed it.
Yes you can give any amount of your own meat to anyone you want.
So Dannybuoy, I've got a tote of fish for you.
The laws are written so one can't read them at a glance.

Kudu
12-05-2013, 07:41 AM
If you want to trade - just call a co and ask him if you can trade salmon fillets for deer meat with your mate and see what he says.....

There really are too many armchair lawyers on this site!

quaint bucket
12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
That will be 4 lbs of moose meat for my service...

kennyj
12-05-2013, 02:25 PM

LMFOA!!!
kenny

Jim Prawn
12-05-2013, 08:33 PM
I will trad my women for a few salmon is this called prostitution ???...

Got any pics?
JP