PDA

View Full Version : Rattling late season whitetails

Coyote
12-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I've got a late season WT hunt in the Koots coming up. Is there any point in rattling at this time of year???

eastkoothunter
12-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I've never had lucky rattling ever, but it can't hurt. I imagine its almost post rut now, so spotting and stalking/sitting on migration trails might prove to be a better way depending the area you're hunting. That's how I've killed my late season whitey bucks anyways

greybark
12-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey Coyote , I have had some success at late season rattling . I only rattle when I see a buck well beyond my bow range . I only use the brow tines or anter tips with a light rattling and then only after grunting .
Good luck to you and the Koot Clan .

J_T
12-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Rattling is pre rut activity. I sit pretty quiet. If anything i might us a grunt tube. But not much.

GoatGuy
12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
It worked for us back when bow went to dec 10 - certainly not as effective as november though.

I would imagine now that it goes to the 20th that second cycle will kick in and it could be pretty effective.

Wild one
12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I would go with a doe bleat over rattling because I have found the WT bucks to be less aggressive later in the season. Rattling can still work but may also spook a buck as well so don't go heavy on it. Doe bleat should not spook a buck that is done fighting.

Location and sitting still is the main thing. Find good sign away from the crowds. Look for areas where the contours of the land create a funnel. Fence lines that come off of cattle guards are always worth a look because a lot of time there is a clear path through thicker bush for WT to follow. A big mistake a lot of rifle hunters do is look for areas that are open for 100-200 yard shots. I have had better luck finding WT in areas you would be lucky to get a shot over 50 yards.

Dress warm and sit all day