PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone split the cost of there hunt with there hunting partner

odie1830
12-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi , just wondering how others split the cost of there hunts with there partners. I always take my vehicle and we split the cost of food and gas. Had another buddy say to me that him and his hunting partner take his vehicle and his partner pays for gas cause there using his vehicle.

Pioneerman
12-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Have always split fuel and any incidentals that might happen like flat tires and such. Although for 25 years it was always my truck which I had to maintain and keep new tires brakes and everything on, along with campers trailers and tents. Hey wtf was I thinking , lol

emerson
12-02-2013, 09:57 PM
My truck/boat it always costs me more, but I don't
refuse fuel/cash. It helps that I don't hunt with cheap
partners.

markomoose
12-02-2013, 09:58 PM
50/50 Although we always took my buddies truck.Mind you I did most of the cooking?Oh S*** that makes us even!!

scottwh
12-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Most of the time if its only 2 people, we split costs as best as possible as we go. If there are more people and going for a week or two or three, we all pool in 500 or so bucks each to the driver who would be the "banker". This covers all costs along the way like coffee's, lunch, fuel, flats etc. If we run out of money, we all put in another chunk of money. When we get home, truck gets filled and all money left over gets split between us. Cant get any more equal than that!

Gateholio
12-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi , just wondering how others split the cost of there hunts with there partners. I always take my vehicle and we split the cost of food and gas. Had another buddy say to me that him and his hunting partner take his vehicle and his partner pays for gas cause there using his vehicle.

I would tell them to turn around, let's go get my truck, because I want to get my gas paid for.

Or more likely I would just tell them I'd find someone else to hunt with. :)

warnniklz
12-02-2013, 10:12 PM
If it's a weekend of road poaching or weekend warrior trip, it usually comes out in the wash.

Then there's times it's a long range trip. We estimate the expenses. Say $1000 for an example. Then we double it for contingency. The expenses are cash in an envelope. Then all the expenses of the trip are paid out of tha t envelope. Whatever is left over is split.

That way everything is paid up front and ever u thing is square.

ACE
12-02-2013, 10:12 PM
On major excursions to the interior (I live on the Island) costs are split as evenly as possible, and a full tank of fuel is left with the vehicle owner. Have made trips with some cheap *******s over the years ...... pick your hunting partners carefully.
Also split the game being taken home ..... again, pick your hunting partners carefully.
Scottwh does what we do ......

BearStump
12-02-2013, 10:15 PM
we split gas and food 50/50. flat tires and speeding tickets are usually paid by the driver. But we swap back and forth every year as to who's truck we're taking. It all comes out in the wash. Usually come home with a couple deep scratches,dents, or flats. But we both have to do it on "our" turn. so its all good. I usually look forward to "his" turn so I can relax about any more damage to my truck. lol

BearStump
12-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I did talk to a guy recently that does the driver doesnt pay theory. They go up with 4 in a truck. 3 guys split gas and the guy driving doesnt pay for gas but does pay his share of food.

Whonnock Boy
12-02-2013, 10:24 PM
All essentials are split between all the parties. Being the hunting ring leader, we use my truck, and camp, which is fine by me because they have their abilities/belongings that are useful to me too! :wink: That's what good friends/hunting partners are all about.

Blair
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I did talk to a guy recently that does the driver doesnt pay theory. They go up with 4 in a truck. 3 guys split gas and the guy driving doesnt pay for gas but does pay his share of food.
Even then, the riders are getting a good deal when you look at the overall cost of wear and tear, etc.

M.Dean
12-02-2013, 10:27 PM
No matter how you share the expenses of any trip, get it figgered out before you leave on the trip! We've always split the costs of everything evenly. On some trips up North we'd try to guess what fuel was going to be, 300, 500 or a Grand, then each guy puts his share in cash in a envelope and the owner of the truck takes it and pays for the fuel with that. And, we found out over the years, as far as food go's, EVERY one pitch's in, and someone go's shopping for the steaks, spuds, salads etc, that way come breakfast, lunch and supper, everyone gets the same food! And, believe me, it's real hard to sit around the fire chewing your great big T-Bone steak,baked potato with Sour Cream, and real Bacon Bits, fresh dinner buns, garden salad, fresh Corn on the Cob, from Chiliwack of course, and all the trimmings when one of the group is heating up a can of Cow Boy Beans on a shovel in the coals! And, I seen that first hand! Thing is, if you have trouble getting a guy to pitch in a few hundred bucks even before the trip starts to pay for fuel or food or what ever, try to get it from him after you come home empty handed, and he now has to try and get the money from his Wife, who hates hunting, and even worse, hates her Old Man going hunting in the first place!!! Yep, I seen that too! But, I really can't remember a hunting trip ending real badly, OK, there was the one trip with the Bar Maid in PG that time, then the time we hit the Bar in Clinton that ended real badly too, but besides those one's, we had a great holiday, seen some great Country, and had a blast doing it!

dabber
12-02-2013, 10:29 PM
We split everything equally including any meat we might get. The only thing that we don't split is alcohol as some in our group don't drink, even though they don't know what there missing. Everyone seems to go out of there way to contribute as much as they can or in any way they can.
I look forward to our hunting trips every year and the last thing you need is some tight wad worrying about how much food fuel etc your using.That being said over the years we have a pretty comfortable camp that doesn't cost very much.

hunter1947
12-03-2013, 05:40 AM
We split everything on the hunting trip gas included 50,,50 elk ,moose the only thing we don't split is a deer if someone get one..

birosj
12-03-2013, 07:29 AM
We put in what we can. My son starting a new family, I'll pony up more.
Stay small group. Had one trip that exploded into 13 hunters. Try cooking for all of them. Ended the trip early. Back to the small groups. All good now.

frenchbar
12-03-2013, 07:40 AM
No matter how you share the expenses of any trip, get it figgered out before you leave on the trip! We've always split the costs of everything evenly. On some trips up North we'd try to guess what fuel was going to be, 300, 500 or a Grand, then each guy puts his share in cash in a envelope and the owner of the truck takes it and pays for the fuel with that. And, we found out over the years, as far as food go's, EVERY one pitch's in, and someone go's shopping for the steaks, spuds, salads etc, that way come breakfast, lunch and supper, everyone gets the same food! And, believe me, it's real hard to sit around the fire chewing your great big T-Bone steak,baked potato with Sour Cream, and real Bacon Bits, fresh dinner buns, garden salad, fresh Corn on the Cob, from Chiliwack of course, and all the trimmings when one of the group is heating up a can of Cow Boy Beans on a shovel in the coals! And, I seen that first hand! Thing is, if you have trouble getting a guy to pitch in a few hundred bucks even before the trip starts to pay for fuel or food or what ever, try to get it from him after you come home empty handed, and he now has to try and get the money from his Wife, who hates hunting, and even worse, hates her Old Man going hunting in the first place!!! Yep, I seen that too! But, I really can't remember a hunting trip ending real badly, OK, there was the one trip with the Bar Maid in PG that time, then the time we hit the Bar in Clinton that ended real badly too, but besides those one's, we had a great holiday, seen some great Country, and had a blast doing it! come on ..spill the beans on the Clinton bar stop.....:) it could well be a good start to a 'your best drunkin hunting episodes 'thread ..lol

dog812
12-03-2013, 08:26 AM
We always take my truck as well.. i tell the guys i am throwing in a extra tank of gas to cover the oil change etc..
If any mechanical breakdowns happen everyone pitches in ,
I also split the cost of my tent, stove and a few other things with the main guy i go with.
We try to make it as fair as we can.

we also split the meat and butchering supplies at the end.

Cedarstrip
12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
We never go with more than 3 guys travelling together. May meet up with others, but they're on their own. Everything gets split right down the middle. All food, gas, repairs, except refreshments. Everyone's on their own for that. We just keep a running tally as we go along, this guy will get lunch, that guy gets a tank of gas and we total it at the end. Whoever's vehicle we are using gets a bit shaved of their bill at the end for wear and tear. Been working great so far!

.330 Dakota
12-03-2013, 08:39 AM
If it's a weekend of road poaching or weekend warrior trip, it usually comes out in the wash.

Then there's times it's a long range trip. We estimate the expenses. Say $1000 for an example. Then we double it for contingency. The expenses are cash in an envelope. Then all the expenses of the trip are paid out of tha t envelope. Whatever is left over is split.

That way everything is paid up front and ever u thing is square.

Thats the best idea Ive heard yet,,also keeping all receipts in the envelope in case you have a new guy along,,if you get my drift,,at the end the receipts must match the cash

Darksith
12-03-2013, 08:48 AM
We don't factor in things like vehicle maintenance, you should be doing that no matter what, and the wear and tear on a vehicle is also just the way she goes. But generally there are at least 2 trucks going on our trips, so its not just 1 guy bearing the load. Also the truck drive might not be the guy supplying the boat or quads or camp...anyway, we run all expenses no matter what or who (snacks, gas, drinks, food, things for camp) on 1 CC and then simply divide it by how many people are on the trip. Usually its all family though, so it makes it easy. Have done some trips with not family but friends, and watched them nickle and dime their way along a trip. They didn't behave like the rest of the family on the trip, not sure I would do it again. They cried about $20 worth of batteries bought at costco on a $500 food bill between 5 guys, $4 to their portion...seriously, $4? So just make it clear at the start, its a give and take, and if you can't afford to give a little then maybe you shouldn't be going on this trip, its just that simple.

DANOSON
12-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Traveling off the island it gets expensive. we toss in $1000 each have 2 trucks and trailers try and rotate trucks over the years. 16 day moose hunt as it takes 2-3 days each way in travel we have each member supply 2 meals of their choice all hashed out in pre hunt meeting so not to eat the same thing over and over. Trucks all start with a full tank and when done have a full tank. Expense's all paid out of the kitty which is normally run by one guy with a ledger which is all written down for all to see if they want. Any fines or deductables do to accidents are paid from said kitty hotels on the way etc. If we need more at the end we cough up and if we have extra we split the rest up. Bring your own refreshments and go have a good time. It's a holiday so everyone splits the work load and meat is a bonus. If we are lucky and bag some game we all cut it up together and split down the middle. keep the same hunting partners that are good guy's and they all no and accept the program. All we say is shoot straight.

BigfishCanada
12-03-2013, 09:23 AM
keep all the receipts, and split it up even. Groceries, booze, food, gas...im not into counting pennies, if i feel hes a cheap b$%^ then I don't bring him back next year

Moe.JKU
12-03-2013, 09:29 AM
For our hunt this year, 14 day moose hunt. We got 1 person to pay for everything gas, food, any additional supplies. Then we add up all the reciepts at the end of the trip and split it by how many people are there. If you smoke, drink or any personal items then that is up to the individual to buy. We rotate trucks every trip to keep the mileage on the vehicles even and wear and tear.

deadlyshot19
12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
We split everything 50/50, doesn't matter who's truck it is.

Ron.C
12-03-2013, 09:58 AM
pretty much the same for us, everything is split. As far as vehicles, the pre trip maintenance is up to the owner as everyone is willing to drive and has their trucks ready to go just in case of a last minute change. General camp food and consumables are split, but we do our own thing for food when planning backpacking portions of the hunt. All meat gets split regardless of who did the shooting. Everyone shares the work.

wicket
12-03-2013, 10:12 AM
we are cash in the envelope guys as well. there is never any bitching and moaning cause I only have my brother in bc and my best friend back here in ont I hunt with so its simple. not to say im not open to hunting with some new guys ,,,,,,,,,say this spring ,,,,,,,,,say in bc,,,,,,,,say for black bear under a permit to accompany :) ( of course I would only pay my share so as not to compensate anyone lest the internet msg board police rag on me)

thing about it is if I had to hunt with people that were worried how the bills were getting split up then they wouldn't be my buddies and I wouldn't be hunting with them for very damned long.

sawmill
12-03-2013, 10:41 AM
I only ever hunt with one buddy,when I ever DO hunt with some one,which ain`t very often.50/50 all the way,including the meat,sometimes his truck,sometimes mine.
Last year when I was away working and missing the Doe season he shot a nice one,used his tag and got it cut and wrapped and delivered it to my freezer for me.(I paid for the butcher).This year we went out,he got a nice buck but was too sick from pneumonia to deal with it,I sent him home,skinned cut and wrapped it and delivered it to his freezer.Payback ain`t always a b!tch.It`s good to have one good and true hunting partner.
Never ever hunt with somebody who quibbles over dimes.Dump his ass.

Sitkaspruce
12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
We split everything 50/50, and then throw in an extra $50 to the owners for wear and tear on the vehicles driven. So far no complaints.

Cheers

SS

BCBRAD
12-03-2013, 10:46 AM
We always take my truck as well.. i tell the guys i am throwing in a extra tank of gas to cover the oil change etc..
If any mechanical breakdowns happen everyone pitches in ,
I also split the cost of my tent, stove and a few other things with the main guy i go with.
We try to make it as fair as we can.

we also split the meat and butchering supplies at the end.

that's where I draw the line, eg: 150,000km truck pukes a tranny in a 2000k trip and I get to pay half, not happening not rebuilding your truck on the road. What others say is all good, similar to what we do it all works out.

Everett
12-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Regretfully my hunting partners are poor with crap trucks or no trucks. So since I have the truck and gear I usually supply most of it and foot a disproportion part of the costs as well I am also the one that always seems to bag the moose our elk as well. But there good company and they also bring lots of homemade booze and I havn't washed a dish while hunting in years. I have one partner who always pays his way and bring bottles of good single malt, but he works like a dog and always cancels out at the last minute. So all in all I will take the poor partners who always show up.

bandit
12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
I have an ex hunting buddy who always found and excuse not to pay half the gas, borrowed my rifles and ammo, drank my beer and then asked to split a grouse 50/50!

markomoose
12-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Only had one bad experience.Took this guy along who smoked pot from sunup to sundown.Never helped out,bitched about paying for cabin that my buddy rented to us for a week.IT WAS $7 BUCKS A DAY PER GUY.4 GUYS TOTAL!He shot a deer on private property.The owner showed up with a video camera & gave him S***.He also shot a black bear that weighed maybe 50 pounds!NEVER AGAIN!!

trebreklaw
12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Split everything for trip and split meat . I use my jet boat and camp and usually truck. Having good companions is worth a lot more than worrying about cost of equipment.

tomahawk
12-03-2013, 11:10 PM
we stagger years for taking trucks, split fuel and ferry costs, split grocery costs, each bring our share of the gear, share the cost of a new stove when its needed for my tent, couldnt ask for a better relationship on sharing then i have had forever on our hunts. Its only common sense and respect for each other, isnt it?

Fella
12-03-2013, 11:27 PM
We all pitch in for gas, divvy up the meals, and each pitch in for gear. Seems like everyone pitches in around camp too so it's all good.

Barracuda
12-04-2013, 08:35 AM
when you go out to dinner or a movie with friends how do you divide the cheque? do you get separate cheques and pay for the dinner and drinks you actually consumed? Do you split the total of the bill evenly no matter how many drinks or what meal each person ordered? do you split the cab fare evenly for the ones that had to much to drink and need to cab it home?

the best thing is to discuss before hand.

if I take my truck I don't expect others to pay for wear and tear, if I take my boat I don't expect anyone to pay for wear and tear if I take out my hounds I don't expect others to pay vet bills etc. these are things I have that are a part of my life and lifestyle . each person brings something to the table be it tangible or intangible and if I enjoy hunting with them I could give a tinkers damn if they don't have a truck ,outdoor equipment and limited resources as long as they are good company .

Consumables I can understand if you agree on the terms before hand, (ferry fees ,fuel, tolls etc ) but I don't understand why anyone would push the group food buy if the food being purchased does not suit you (you may have a particular diet ,allergy or food intolerance that is in conflict with the majority etc)

.330 Dakota
12-04-2013, 09:08 AM
I have an ex hunting buddy who always found and excuse not to pay half the gas, borrowed my rifles and ammo, drank my beer and then asked to split a grouse 50/50!

Wow....the operative word being ..ex..and how does one split a grouse,,,oh I know give him the tastey head and ass..lol

sparkes3
12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
biggest arguement in our hunting group is everyone wanting to pay ,always hear , i will pay and my other buddies are nope i will pay .
usually its a race to see who can get inside first, but in the end we make sure its even all the way.
gas, food ,hotels .
no smokes or booze thats your own stuff.
all our trucks are in good order ,flats are covered by who ever is in the vehicle, anything else is not especially speeding tickets they are just a reason razz the crap out of the driver for not seeing the cop.

300H&H
12-04-2013, 10:53 PM
I always like to offer more than 50% of the gas on a trip. The guy driving his truck has wear & tear, a portion of the oil change, and so on. So he should get a bite extra.
But it is always a good idea to get this stuff cleared up BEFORE you leave.
For the most part I have been very lucky.
With that said....Coach, I owe you a few bucks for today.

hunter1947
12-05-2013, 05:21 AM
There is one thing I don't think it has been mentioned on this thread what if your truck has mechanical problems say breaking the gears on the rear or front gears or other will the others help pay for it ??..

BCBRAD
12-05-2013, 08:40 AM
There is one thing I don't think it has been mentioned on this thread what if your truck has mechanical problems say breaking the gears on the rear or front gears or other will the others help pay for it ??..

Poster #18 mentioned that the hunting party would help pay for mechanical break downs. Of course each to their own on how expenses are divvied up. For me if I take my truck I am responsible for all issues with the vehicle, except for gas. Like I mentioned earlier I don't expect someone else to help pay for eg: a tranny, alternator or whatever nor will I go in on a deal like that with someone else. Many people do not maintain their vehicles and are totally surprised that that grinding noise they heard 2 months back finally stopped them 75 miles out in the bush.

RoscoeP
12-05-2013, 08:51 AM
As far as mechanical problems I would not split the cost of a transmission rebuild or something like that, it would have gone anyways. Some minor things related to the hunt like flat repairs etc. should be on the hunting bill. I would not expect someone to pay for my transmission etc. On any trip you need to have a meeting before hand to discuss all matters that way there are no surprises and if you don't like the agreed on rules don't go. Cheers

pnbrock
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
i think money pooled is the best,after all expenses anything left divided amongst the group is fair.damage like body or tires caused by getting into an area should be shared.mechanical like said before poor maintenance shouldn't cost your partner.

dog812
12-05-2013, 09:06 AM
As far as the Repairs, .... my friends force me to take money to help pay.
This year one of our tire chains broke while out hunting, tore my abs speed sensor wire right out.. It could have happened to anyone that was driving that trip.. Needs a new wheel hub assembly , So we all split the repair..

hunter1947
12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
What I am referring to let say the person keeps up his truck all the time when the person and say tree partners head out on a two week or one week hunting trip truck has no issues perfectly sound the front or rear differential blows up when you are in four wheel drive do you split the coast or the owner of this truck pays for all ???

adriaticum
12-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Oh boy, you better get a lawyer.

BCBRAD
12-05-2013, 12:08 PM
What I am referring to let say the person keeps up his truck all the time when the person and say tree partners head out on a two week or one week hunting trip truck has no issues perfectly sound the front or rear differential blows up when you are in four wheel drive do you split the coast or the owner of this truck pays for all ???

If the owner gets monetary help paying for a blown diff', then I will always take my truck. You know: trucks 5 years old diff' goes out, bonus! I get repair subsidized by my hunting partners. I don't think this is a good plan, because whether I go with you will depend largely on your vehicle condition and unknown cost of repair. Generally we take two trucks and use one day about so exposure to the elements and potential for breakdown are the same. I drive a Ford and I don't want to repair 'buddies' Chev. :)

Mauser98
12-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I hunt with four cousins in the Chetwynd area. We all live in southern BC. Two usually go up a few days early in their vehicle towing a large flatdeck trailer. Myself and another cousin are next a few days later with either his or my truck towing another large flatdeck trailer. A week or so later cousin four arrives with his pickup and trailer.

Even though hunting time varies, we split all costs(gas, food, ferry, meat cutting, etc) equally. At the end of the hunt, one cousin collects each persons costs, crunches the numbers and advises the others if they owe or have money coming.

This year we took my truck. Coming home my alternator packed it in. That $500.00's didn't go on the hunt. There's no way any of us would expect others to help pay for major repairs.

Some tickets are paid by by the hunt. A few years ago we got dinged $300.00 for over-weight. Last year $230.00 for trailer battery/brake issues. Those went on the hunt. Speeding(if we get one) will be on the driver.

bigslim
12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Live on the rock so when we go on a mainland trip everybody keeps all receipts pertaining to the trip ( Excluding personal stuff like booze cigars ect.) Return ferry trip we all throw in receipts add up divide by the amount of guys.
Always split meet between all the guys
Just got back from region 5, 6 guys 2 truck Ate like king for a week $450 a guy!!!
BIGSLIM

boxhitch
12-05-2013, 06:07 PM
What about this concept ?
Pay the vehicle a rate per km , everyone pays including the owner. Revenue Canada allows ~ $.55 iirc for expenses so work from that. The rate covers the fuel and the wear and tear on tires and parts.
Fuel runs about 15 - 25 cents per km., the rest goes to maintenance.

adriaticum
12-05-2013, 06:16 PM
What about this concept ?
Pay the vehicle a rate per km , everyone pays including the owner. Revenue Canada allows ~ $.55 iirc for expenses so work from that. The rate covers the fuel and the wear and tear on tires and parts.
Fuel runs about 15 - 25 cents per km., the rest goes to maintenance.

Well you are gonna need a book keeper too

Lillypuff
12-05-2013, 06:24 PM
guys I hunt with are not that picky here a 100 and there 100 not a big deal. we never even give it a 2nd thought. with that being said if one us had a problem we would voice our concern

caddisguy
12-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Anyone willing to pay for diffs / tranny / transfer case / engine stuff I'll drive! Heck not just hunting... groceries, ride home from the bar, wife to the mall, kids to school, you name it, I'll drive it!! And that ball joint had no play until the speed bumps in the mall parking lot I swear!

Joking aside, if that tranny goes on a hunting trip, it was going to die within relatively the same amount of km's, hunting or no hunting. Diffs the same unless the driver was doing something silly like making turns in 4-lo on dry pavement... if they go under normal use it was going to happen soon anyway. Engine was due to go unless driver was redlining rpms or something. I'd never expect someone to fork out cash for major repairs... would be like if my fridge stopped working while it was chilling some beers for my friends. I wouldn't try to get them on the hook.

If it was me driving all the time I wouldn't refuse an extra 100 bucks per 1000km's, since that is more in line with realistic drivetrain wear and tear for the average vehicle lifespan. That said I wouldn't expect it. Not expecting cash for tree branch scratches either. Hardly ever through to the primer and they add character :D

Frango
12-05-2013, 11:02 PM
We all keep receipts for gas and food etc. On the ferry on the way home we add all receipts and divide by whatever the number of guys. It always works out. You or one of the hunters owes like $40 or less if everyone is paying attention. Works for our group but then again we are all rational.

338 Mag
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
We go 50/50 on fuel, food ect,we alternate on the truck by taking every other year,saves on wear and tear,my wall tent stove enclosed trailer.It's nice when you have a good hunting partner though and all works out in the end.

ducktoller
12-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Gotta be open, some of my buddies . Have camped with have very little money for various reasons. As sucheck those of us with usually pay more in subtle ways that don't draw attention to it ie show up with fill tank of gas, some food, etc. That being said the guy I'm thinking of does still happily contribute without being asked.

boxhitch
12-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Well you are gonna need a book keeper too
Kilometers times whatever rate is decided divided by the number of guys
Give me a call , I'll walk you through it :)

Badlands62
12-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Everything is split equally depending on how many of us go... If I go for day trips I usually bring an older buddy(almost 80) just so he can enjoy the outdoors.