PDA

View Full Version : place to hunt in squamish with my dad

new hunter
12-02-2013, 07:49 PM
After 15 years of changing the subject every time I talked to my dad about hunting , he called me up the other night and asked me to take him hunting the next time I went out .
He used to hunt when he was my age , but got out of it when I was born due to my fascination with guns .
I don't really know if this is about hunting or if my dad is just trying to reconnect , especially since my wife just delivered his first grand daughter three weeks ago and we have drifted apart quite a bit in the last few years .
Unfortunately I hunt in the whistler Pemberton area and our season just closed , literally a day after he'd asked .
Squamish is still open until the 15th , except I've only hunted down there once and that was 5 years ago.
I hate to ask , but as this hunt is pretty important for the above reasons , can anyone give me a suggestion on where I can take him road hunting .
It sounds like he wants to park and sit on a fresh cut at light like he used to on the Island , can anyone think of anything like that in Squamish that would give us a fighting chance at a deer , and would be accesable with my rear wheel Tacoma ( I have a locking rear diff and chains ).
Thanks in advance , and I wouldn't ask if it wasn't so important .

emerson
12-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Hope you get some feed back on this one. I would help
if I knew the area.

markomoose
12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Take a drive up the Squamish valley?From there you can access the ashlu or elaho rivers or stay on the squamish mainline which is lower elevation.Its 50 plus kilometers last time I was up there.There,s moose & elk at the backend.Don,t shootem tho there,re closed.

hickman
12-03-2013, 11:42 AM
I hear, it has been tough hunting in the Squamish because of the lack of snow. Deer are still pretty high up. I spent a few days since September trying to find good spots. Not sure how far you will get without 4x4 given that you want to drive to a cut and sit. Most branches off the Squamish Main can get difficult without 4x4 and clearance. I have not heard anything about the Ashlu but generally people talk about Br200 and the area around mile 37 and up. I have never hunted up there. I also heard that any FSR along HWY 99 between Whistler and Squamish might be worth a try... Chance Cr etc. Not sure about road conditions though. I think, you will have to drive quite a ways up to find deer anywhere around here.
Good luck and have a good time with your dad.

Vancouver1234
12-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Was there grouse hunting 3 weekends ago, at the old elaho camp site (shut down years ago) and all that wooded area around the river had a ton of deer and elk track, some old some fairly fresh.

new hunter
12-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys , I talked to my dad today and he said he wanted to head up to some place up Mamquam that he had heard of .Either way I'll be meeting him at 5am and I'm bringing the road atlas .
One way or the other it should be a good trip , hopefully its something we repeat .
Once again , thanks for all the quick responses .

hickman
12-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Mamquam has fewer deer than it used to. Some areas have been impacted by the new IPP. There are a few recent cuts in several areas up there.
Good luck & report back if you can.

new hunter
12-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Went out today , saw sweet f all .
Two sets of bob cat tracks , a few rabbit and squirrel tracks , and what were either moose or Elk tracks .
I'm more used to seeing moose tracks so that was my first assumption , but they seemed a little small and narrow for moose and the bush seemed to high and dense as well .
There may have been a lot more sign behind the tree line but my dad was fairly reluctant to go into the bush .
I noticed our hunting styles are very different , he seems to like to walk the cut road until he finds positive sign and then go into the bush , were as I prefer to get back into the treeline right away , which is were I start finding sign and tracking .
I don't think he was totally committed or prepared to hunt , especially not for the whole day , but after getting three hours sleep ( new dad ) I wasn't all that disappointed to head home by noon .
All in all it was still a good time in the bush , I don't think we had spent time together like this in over ten years ( we didn't speak for 1 ) , and I got home with a full load of badly needed fire wood .
I think the next time I hunt Squamish I'll head in the other direction and head way out into the sticks , but I definitely need to do a bit of scouting up there before I do .
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

hickman
12-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Where did you go if I may ask? Did you end up going into the Squamish Valley or Mamquam? Indeed, it has been tough hunting around here, even seasoned hunters that I talked to have not shot much around Squamish. I will try my luck tomorrow.

TheProvider
12-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Lack of snow this year is keeping the deer at higher elevations than their normal wintering grounds. They need the snow to knock the lichen down from the top of the trees to feed on.

Lots of elk around.

markomoose
12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Lived in Squamish for 12 years only took a few bucks.Its tough hunting there.I did most of my local hunting in Pemberton.

RB2
12-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Brohm ridge is worth a shot