PDA

View Full Version : New Type of Cattle

rollingrock
02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
:lol::lol: Pls find something to cover your monitor! This isn't a photoshop, I promise. The logger is from Kalun, BC. Exclusive from a logging partner of my wife's company.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/rockrolling/Terre2.jpg

Nails
02-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Great pic, there must be a great story associated with it.

Browningmirage
02-05-2007, 03:03 PM
id like to order a couple

Chuck
02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Now ain't that something! I once saw a similar pic in provincial archives magazine or thereabouts, but I think the moose was a cow hooked up to a wagon full of people back in 1800's, somewhere in northern B.C.
I wonder how he is to handle when he gets rutty? Definitely minimum damage to the environment for sure and notice the nice log piles. I'd like to go on, but I'll stop!

Gateholio
02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I've seen plenty of old pics of draft moose in the oold days. pretty cool.

Will
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Could have

Leaseman
02-05-2007, 04:52 PM
That pic sure likes to pop up yearly.....8)

bochunk2000
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
It look really neat but it does look shopped. The lighting seems off. I guess you can domesticate almost anything.
Steve

brotherjack
02-05-2007, 07:09 PM
The focus and depth of field of the subject doesn't match the background. Still, a neat pic though. :)

StoneChaser
02-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Call me a skeptic...but I have trouble believing a few things:

1. The picture looks a little "photo shopped"

2. Hard to believe a bull like that would stand around that docile during what is obvioulsy the rut (antlers are hardened off and rubbed... leaves still on the trees (a littlel green?)

3. Bull seems a little large for an average BC bull (unles WAAAAY up north)

Nope... don't believe it (cool pic though)

StoneChaser

jethrobuddy
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Where is Kalun BC?

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Next to ''Bullshit'' mountain. :lol:

Hagen
02-05-2007, 09:49 PM
man i'd like to beleive, but ive seen this one a few too many times from different locations....still cool picture, even if it looks "shopped"

rollingrock
02-05-2007, 10:02 PM
:mad: Oooops, that guy got me real good this time. :oops: Man you cant trust people too much sometimes. :lol:

The problem is this guy has been serious all his life..... in his email, he said they've set up a new contractor and production is expected to be doubled.... together with this photo.

RiverOtter
02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
It does have an advantage over a horse because it can deck the wood it skids in. Well at least late summer and fall.:lol:

RO

Mark_S
02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I remember watching a documentary about how Moose got to Newfoundland. They brought in 4 domesticated mooose and were using them instead of horses to pull plows and do other farm jobs. The Documentary had numerous pictures of Moose in harnesses. I think they eventually lost or turned the moose free and they started doing what moose do and eventually the government had more moose brought in to help the populations grow.

But the idea that a Moose or a horse is easier on the environment for logging is not true. A person puts about 6 psi of pressure on the ground when he walks at a normal pace. A D4 puts about 7 PSI of pressure on the ground because it has a MUCH larger foot print on the ground. A horse has only a slightly larger foot print than a person but weighs close to 10 times as much and ends up putting over 10 PSI of pressure onto the soil (because it has more feet touching the gorund at a time when it moves where a person puts all of there weight on one foot at a time if a horse stood on one foot it'd be around 50 psi).

Compaction is what destroys the soil and makes it so nothing can grow again, not soil disturbance or displacment from a Skidder or Cat. In fact you WANT the soil to get chewed up a little bit in order to get the seedlings to grow better, just like a 'tiller would. The last thing you want to happen is for the soil to get compacted. I've seen areas logged with horses 90 years ago and still nothing grows where the trails were and where the stables were.

talver
02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I would be awsome to see that bull in the wild during the fall

mark
02-06-2007, 07:49 PM
This pic was just on BCTV news!

3kills
02-06-2007, 09:34 PM
what did they say mark???

mark
02-06-2007, 09:37 PM
what did they say mark???

They were saying that due to new environmental concerns this will be the only way any logging will be done come 2008!

30-06
02-06-2007, 09:37 PM
that dosent look that shopped

CHilko21
02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
'Shopped or not, I love that picture, it's great for shock value...you show it to someone and their reaction is just priceless ( " what the hell...."). It's not totally unbelievable, I dunno if any of you are familiar with Monty Roberts, the "horse whisperer" if you would like to call him that, but he managed to tweak his horse training techniques, what he calls " join up" to apply to white tail deer.

MichelD
02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
If you look at the back of the guy's jacket, it has a draft horse on it, similar to jackets I've seen worn by horse owners at draft horse displays at the PNE and other ag. fairs.

The script on the jacket is hard to read, but reading the last part I make out "chevaux d'Abitibi," which means "horses of Abitibi, " so he could be part of a draft horse club or a draft horse company in Abitibi Quebec.

TPK
02-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Of course it's "Shopped", look at the log piles, mirror images. Still a great conversation starter though.

partsman
02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
:lol:Looks like a lot of "bull" either way.