PDA

View Full Version : First Whitetail

BCKyle
11-30-2013, 11:40 PM
I was starting to think it would never happen: hours of sitting waiting, hours of (trying to) still hunting, so many kilometers of driving (both looking for sign/promising areas and straight up desperate road hunting) and I didn't see a single buck all legal season. Until tuesday morning.

I got out monday afternoon and drove around a new area - no luck in my other areas that I thought would have deer (and had good sign) but where I never even saw a doe for the last few days. This new zone I had never checked out before so I didn't know but with only a couple days left that I could get out to hunt I figured I'd try anything. I found an area that was pretty closely wooded but was also had decent between-the-trees visibility and on a nice bench on a steepish hillside. A quick hike around showed some games trails and some fresh-ish droppings. It was getting on in the afternoon and I figured it was here or drive 'til sunset. I plunked down between some trees to wait and watch the freshest of the trails I had seen.

an hour and a half later and shooting light was fast disappearing; I hadn't heard or seen anything. Right as I'm starting to relax into the 'nothing's going to show up, might as well hike back to the road' mode I heard a stick snap, loud, directly behind me. Then a snuffle and a then right afterward a snort: I didn't think anything would come up there and that was straight downwind. Turning around really slowly I am hearing more movement and more sniffing and of course that is when I bashed a dead rose bush with my foot. Immediately alarm wheezes and running hooves and I turn the last few degrees just in time to see four white flags blasting off into the dim forest light.

I didn't have any other good leads so I decided to come back the next morning. I set up a little tarp camp a couple km down the road and had a rough (cold) sleep; woke up early in the dark and packed up camp and after driving for twenty minutes to get the jeep warmed up and blast some heat into my bones I drove up to the closest road spot and hiked in in the dark. Just enough moon/starlight to not need a headlamp much. This time I picked a spot that covered the area where I saw the deer (does? bucks? I didn't know - I figured probably does and maybe one buck but it was too dark to ID 'em). I brought my wool blanket with me and sat on a corner of it, wrapped up in the rest and waited for first light while my body heat melted and then soaked up all the frost I was sitting on.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/ThatKGuy/photo4_zpse58dce08.jpg (http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/ThatKGuy/media/photo4_zpse58dce08.jpg.html)

Four hours later, after an hour of silence at first light waiting I had started blowing some doe bleats every half hour and then laying back and lightly snoozing while listening really hard to the forest. My four hours of frigid sleep the night before was not helping me stay alert, and 5-10 minute lay-downs were the only thing keeping my focussed at all. Out of every half hour I spent maybe 15 minutes looking really hard and the other three dozing and listening: snapping eyes open and sitting up really slowly every time I heard something that didn't sound like a squirrel. I heard a loudish thump at one point and glassed hard for twenty minutes but didn't see anything. Then out a doze I heard a slightly different, slightly louder thud and sat up to look: sure enough, movement down in a dip where I had found a good game trail the day before. I could see it was a deer but no positive ID: got binoculars on it as it turned behind trees: the hindquarters ID'd it as a whitetail, but then it was gone behind a little rise in the land covered in trees.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/ThatKGuy/photo3_zps7494c86c.jpg (http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/ThatKGuy/media/photo3_zps7494c86c.jpg.html)

BCKyle
11-30-2013, 11:56 PM
I freaked out a bit right then but I figured I can't see it, it can't see me so I can move quickly and not worry about being busted: so I got the binoculars down and the rifle up on the log I was using a natural blind and watched for movement. I could hear it moving along (fast, it seemed!) behind the little rise. Then I had movement and after a quick look through the scope I was tracking little bits of visible whitetail through the trees: a bigger gap int the trees and I saw antlers! He was moving quickly and I didn't have a huge area where I might get a good shot off so I was fumbling with my call hoping to stop him in a gap, when he must have picked up my movement a bit. He kept moving but now was looking straight at me. I froze and he started to turn away, back towards the edge of the rise where in only a few seconds he would be gone from view again. Then he paused for a second, and that was just long enough to get my shot off.

He didn't show any sign of being hit and ran like the wind: for about forty yards before tripping up and falling. He stood up a little drunkenly and started to trot down crosshill. I was afraid I might not have hit him well enough so when he paused again I gave him a neck shot and he took a few steps, fell over and didn't move again.

I waited, then tracked from where he was when I first shot to where he ended up (for practice, even though I could see him clearly). Not much blood sign where the first shot hit, but a bit and then a lot more right where the second hit him.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/ThatKGuy/photo2_zps48b31dcc.jpg (http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/ThatKGuy/media/photo2_zps48b31dcc.jpg.html)

I pulled his head straight for this picture.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/ThatKGuy/photo1_zps0d0e6756.jpg (http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/ThatKGuy/media/photo1_zps0d0e6756.jpg.html)

And then I got to work trying the gutless method for the first time, solo. Worked great, and I strung up a line to hang the bags from as I took off the quarters. Once they were all hanging I took my gear and some of the meat and half hiked half jogged back to the jeep. Grabbed my frame pack and ditched everything else but the rifle and went back. All the meat made for a pretty hefty pack, with the head in one hand, rifle in the other and the meat on my back. I was pretty sweaty when I got back up, but I was stoked!

Shot at around 10:00, fully loaded into the vehicle at around 11:45 and hanging in the garage by 3:00. I hung the quarters until today and I got most of the butchering done this afternoon. Delicious steaks were enjoyed and beer was sipped and I will finish off the last of the butchering tomorrow.

BCKyle
12-01-2013, 12:01 AM
So I figure these will make a good starter set of rattling antlers to carry next season! I was hoping for a 4point but I am pretty happy with the 3 [EDIT: meant 4 points left after cutting off brow tines to make rattling antlers. Whoops!]: and it made for some delicious steaks.

Best way to turn these into rattling antlers anyone? Hacksaw to get them off? or cut skull and leave the base of the antlers? That is the next step: head is in the garage and needs to get dealt with, but I worked wed/thurs/fri and today the priority was the meat and doing a dump run with garbage to clear out the shed and garage of reno junk.

Any suggestions for the best way to go with these antlers would be great. THey had bits of resin and moss stuck all over them when I first retrieved the deer, from scraping I guess. I didn't find any scrapes in this area though so he must have just been passing through looking for does - I may have called him in or he might have just been running around hoping to cut a doe's trail. Never seen a deer move with so much purpose as this guy though: he was on the prowl.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/ThatKGuy/photo5_zpsad8c87a5.jpg (http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/ThatKGuy/media/photo5_zpsad8c87a5.jpg.html)

Thanks to everybody who posted on HBC this season to keep me motivated even after over a hundred hours of various forms of hunting and no legal bucks even seen... until this guy!

North Star
12-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Awesome man, congrats. Personally I would just Euro mount the skull and antlers and just buy a commercial rack rattle.

Sofa King
12-01-2013, 12:11 AM
great hunt.
you worked for him.
you did a lot of shit that I still have never done, sleeping under a tarp, gutless method.
that's a good rack.
no need for a big one for rattlers, smaller is easier to carry.
congrats, great deer.

Sofa King
12-01-2013, 12:12 AM
agree.
use a smaller set for rattlers, that's a nice buck.
or just buy a rattle bag.
I'm going to make one this winter out of an older set of antlers.

ncurrie
12-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Yay Kyle!!!! Now we can get our bears for sure next spring!!! Job we'll done!

Big Lew
12-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Good job! Nice buck. After all that time and effort you certainly earned it. I admire your preservation and determination.

Spy
12-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Well done man thats a nice whitetail. :-) Awesome story, pictures & buck. Jeesh sleeping under a tarp in the cold, for a buck is freaking hardcore ! A well deserved buck, enjoy the treats and slap that rack on the wall above your bed,LOL. ;-)

hunter1947
12-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Dandy buck for your first WT nice story to boot ,congrats

Rhyno
12-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Now that is a hardcore whitey hunt! Way to keep at it, you earned that buck!

Wrayzer
12-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Great story and perseverance. Those thoughts "nothing here move on to the next spot" help show the fact hunting is 90% mental.
Oh by the way, you did shoot a 4 point :-D Congrats.

I use an old muley set I have for rattling, I just hack sawed them off at the base. Personally Id keep this bucks and do a nice Euro mount nice trophy for the first WT, find some sheds in the Spring and use those.

E.V.B.H.
12-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Nice buck, don't waste it on rattlers. Too nice, I'm for the euro as well. And as stated it is a four point.

kennyj
12-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Congratulations on your first whitetail! I see 4 points per side, beautiful buck. I'd leave those antlers on the skull and do a euro mount of your first whitetail. Realy enjoyed your story.
kenny

Blainer
12-01-2013, 08:08 AM
BCKyle- "So I figure these will make a good starter set of rattling antlers to carry next season! I was hoping for a 4point but I am pretty happy with the 3: and it made for some delicious steaks."

Great effort!
and you shot yourself a 4 point!
I agree with above, euro mount of your first whitetail.

BCrams
12-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Congrats on persevering! Very nice 4 pt!

ydouask
12-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Good job on the 4 pt. :-D

Stéphane
12-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Man, that's a cool story. I was riveted to the screen until your final words. I am so happy for you since you put in all the hard work, including a cool night in the woods. Being busted, oh man, do I ever know the feeling.

Probably one of the tastiest beer you ever had.

unclevarda
12-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Congrats man! Euro mount it! And consider a wall tent and a woodstove next time to make the hunting a hell of a lot more pleasurable.

hare_assassin
12-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Excellent story and great buck! Thanks for posting!

Jehiah
12-01-2013, 10:05 AM
shed hunt for rattling antlers dude. That 4point has some mass and what a great first WT!

monasheemountainman
12-01-2013, 10:06 AM
That is a 4 point whitetail

300H&H
12-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Great story and a nice first buck, congratulations.

d6dan
12-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Good job in the patience department Kyle. Nice 4 point. Congrats.

Redneck Rocket
12-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Great buck, great story too!

BCKyle
12-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the comments and compliments everybody! I'm pretty stoked right now because I was starting to lose faith in the season for a while.
And yeah it's got four points, and the brows were better up close than I thought they were at first through binoculars. :mrgreen: I figured there'd be three tines left as a rattling rack, with the brow tines cut off for better handles and less finger crushing.

Now from what everybody's saying maybe I should do the Euro... I guess just skin the head/trim off as much as possible and then boil it for a while until all the rest of the meat etc. comes away, right? Does this usually smell bad? I'm just wondering because I may have to do this strategically when my girlfriend isn't home, if so. I can just imagine her face coming into the kitchen to a funky smell and antlers sticking out of a stock pot. :-|:-| Of course if it just smells like venison stock that would probably be fine. Any particular concerns I should have doing the boiling? Anything I could mess up or is it pretty idiotproof?

BCKyle
12-01-2013, 12:45 PM
"Probably one of the tastiest beer you ever had."

You said it! :-D

and yeah, the feeling when he spotted me and started to take off... oh man! Didn't think I'd get a shot, and I figured he'd be gone forever. I'm glad he stopped.

vanillagator
12-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Way to go Kyle!
I hear ya on working for it, been working my ass off all season, seen a few shooters but didn't feel comfortable with the shot. So, way to go man! Great to hear! Now you will be really ready for next season.

HarryToolips
12-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Way to go man congrats

sawmill
12-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Congtrats!Got my buck with one day left.Where you at?I have all kinda antlers here,I could spare a set for rattlers.Get that one hung up,it`s your first,you`ll never get your first again.

sobirch
12-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Good stuff, congrats man for getting it done.

Ambush
12-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Great hunt effort and great buck as a reward!!

The willingness to suffer a little for the sake of the hunt and the perseverance to see it through bodes well for your hunting future.

And like many have already said, that buck should be on your wall or a shelf as a euro. Rattling antlers are easy to come by, but there won't be another first buck.

Google "how to euro mount a deer". One tip I can add is to use powdered dishwashing machine soap and TSP powdered degreaser to the second and third simmer. Usually peroxide is not even needed on deer. They're not that greasy.

ncurrie
12-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the comments and compliments everybody! I'm pretty stoked right now because I was starting to lose faith in the season for a while.
And yeah it's got four points, and the brows were better up close than I thought they were at first through binoculars. :mrgreen: I figured there'd be three tines left as a rattling rack, with the brow tines cut off for better handles and less finger crushing.

Now from what everybody's saying maybe I should do the Euro... I guess just skin the head/trim off as much as possible and then boil it for a while until all the rest of the meat etc. comes away, right? Does this usually smell bad? I'm just wondering because I may have to do this strategically when my girlfriend isn't home, if so. I can just imagine her face coming into the kitchen to a funky smell and antlers sticking out of a stock pot. :-|:-| Of course if it just smells like venison stock that would probably be fine. Any particular concerns I should have doing the boiling? Anything I could mess up or is it pretty idiotproof?

Hey I have two heads to do, bring yours over and we can do them together. Just text when you are not working.

E.V.B.H.
12-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Watch a few videos first and then you will be pretty confident. As said more of a simmer than a boil and be careful when trimming around the nose area there is some soft bone that you can cut off by mistake. It will harden up when it dries. I worry more about getting the hair off. I don't even cut out the eyes anymore if it's meaty it will fall off in the process.

Borax, arm and hammer washing soda or powdered dishwasher will all work, a little goes a long way, too much will make the skull kind of chalky. So will over heating. When the stuff is falling off and peels away easy it's done. Mush the brain up well with a screwdriver or the like before boiling so it doesn't form a solid mass in the cavity

When it's done boiling get it to a pressure washer while it's still warm and blast away all the rest of the junk. Once the remaining chunks of cartilage and meat have a chance to dry they pretty much have to be removed with a dremel.

Bit of a messy nasty job but we'll worth it. Also boil it on a camp stove in the garage or outside if possible to avoid a domestic dispute!

Bear Chaser
12-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Gently simmer some Mr. Clean on the stove after you are done with the skull. Makes the house smell lemony fresh.

BCKyle
12-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Congtrats!Got my buck with one day left.Where you at?I have all kinda antlers here,I could spare a set for rattlers.Get that one hung up,it`s your first,you`ll never get your first again.

Thanks for the offer man! I'm in the north okanagan, Vernon area. Might not work so easily but then again I guess you never know. Nice work getting yours with a day left on the clock... Shows you just can't stop no matter what.

BCKyle
12-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Hey I have two heads to do, bring yours over and we can do them together. Just text when you are not working.

Could be fun; you have yours frozen? Did you get a mulie too? Nice!