PDA

View Full Version : Which MU for Roosevelt Elk

11-30-2013, 02:44 PM
After reading the great Roosevelt elk hunting threads this year, I really have the itch to hunt them someday. I think I will start putting into the LEH draw starting this year. I live in the WK, so I can't scout the island, and am really lost as to where I should put in. What MUs strike the balance between a reasonable chance of getting drawn within the next 25 years, and also support a huntable population of elk?

Thanks!

Darksith
11-30-2013, 05:16 PM
take the lowest odds, and be willing to spend the $ to get in there for a month. If you think putting in at 100:1 over 25 years gives you a shot your crazy. Maybe just spend the $ and go on a guided hunt

mikeboehm
11-30-2013, 05:35 PM
17 years and counting nil for me

GoatGuy
11-30-2013, 05:40 PM
They all have huntable populations.

You can sit on the couch and complain, or go hunting. I would pick the best odds, get drawn and 'git er done'.

smoothbor
11-30-2013, 05:50 PM
This was my 28th year and still a no go my dad has been applying for at least 35-40 and a no go but good luck. If you get the draw it will be an excellent adventure for sure

Salty
11-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah the odds are brutal. But we can dream, damn it!

325, its tough to give advice on this but I'd say generally study areas west and north of Cambell river and a little ways out from CR which has like 30,000 people. There are likely other areas to consider but I'm not up on the mid and south island too much or the Sunshine Coast. Before you get too excited about some of the "lower" odds areas look at maps and google earth to see what there is for access some having next to none and you just can't cover a lot of ground in the jungles out here. I met some hard core rancher white tail slay'n good ol boys from the interior who had gotten a draw some place... forget exactly where but they bombed huge. They didn't do much of any research and found only a couple nearly completely overgrown roads to get in to the area. They couldn't believe how nearly impassable it was to cover ground any ground to speak of on foot like they were used to.

From what I understand RE populations are increasing considerably in most areas of the island. I definitely see signs of that in areas I hang. Have a look at the areas that give out the most draws and there's a good sign of a healthy and growing herd. These unfortunately will be some of the high odds areas. One thing on the odds too, its quite comical to watch... if you see an area that for what ever reason didn't get a lot of draws purchased one year then shows up as a low odds area in the next synopsis Gar-un=teed the following year will have horid odds as everyone buys chances for this "low odds area". LOL

Don't mean to be too vague but really I just put in for two areas that are close to me like real close. But if I lived out of the area I'd consider tons more like I said above. Study maps, synopsis and google earth and pick a spot. Good luck to you, post a thread for advice if you get drawn and I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the local HBCers are willing to help ;) If at all possible a few days minimum of scouting on a separate trip prior to the opening would be a real good plan.

GoatGuy
11-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Before you get too excited about some of the "lower" odds areas look at maps and google earth to see what there is for access some having next to none and you just can't cover a lot of ground in the jungles out here. I met some hard core rancher white tail slay'n good ol boys from the interior who had gotten a draw some place... forget exactly where but they bombed huge. They didn't do much of any research and found only a couple nearly completely overgrown roads to get in to the area. They couldn't believe how nearly impassable it was to cover ground any ground to speak of on foot like they were used to.

Sounds like a bunch of quarter milers.:)

Sunshine coast trip was challenging for sure. Lots of grizz, black bears, river crossings 'at limits', backpacking, mountain biking, rain and wet the whole time, but there are elk. Definitely a memorable experience.

Some guys will go their entire lifetime without pulling a draw. Some of those areas on the Coast a person could pull a couple times, so if you don't get lucky the first time you have a good chance of getting another draw. At the end of the day it's up to the individual to chose whether they are throwing out a hail mary LEH or have a reasonable chance of getting one.

The sunshine coast is a very doable hunt - much easier than a lot of the other experiences we've had chasing critters around other parts of BC.

Salty
11-30-2013, 07:02 PM
quarter milers.... LOL There are a few areas where it might be more like 1/4 of a hundred miles to walk to where the elk are, not a lot but some of the west coast places... yikes. Course, that depends on how the logging is going. In the real rain forest 5 years of a mainline not being used = sometimes you can't even get a quad up that valley for alders taking back the road. Just cautioning folks to do a little current research to see what's involved. Then, there's several areas where I run in to them 5 minutes off the highway, or in some old growth that you can move through easily.

BlacktailStalker
11-30-2013, 07:06 PM
If you draw anywhere north of Union bay, I can draw "x's" on the map.
Worry about it after you get the draw... they're all 'unreasonable' to some extent because people always look at the previous years odds and put in for the lower odds areas. So use some reverse psychology and apply for the previous year m.u's that were high, they often drop considerably.
That being said the white river, tsitika and woss areas maintain consistent odds year after year that mostly suck :)
Beware some of the north west Island areas are boat access only and minimal access once you are there.
Some areas are traditionally better but with some of these areas with minimal to no logging going on, people 'think' they are still good but in reality they are all grown up now and no new slashes to hunt and sfa for visibility.
Like anywhere, logging done within the last 5 years is going to have elk all over it.
If you want some suggestions, pm me.

GoatGuy
11-30-2013, 07:13 PM
quarter milers.... LOL There are a few areas where it might be more like 1/4 of a hundred miles to walk to where the elk are, not a lot but some of the west coast places... yikes. Course, that depends on how the logging is going. In the real rain forest 5 years of a mainline not being used = sometimes you can't even get a quad up that valley for alders taking back the road. Just cautioning folks to do a little current research to see what's involved. Then, there's several areas where I run in to them 5 minutes off the highway, or in some old growth that you can move through easily.

The spot we were in hadn't been logged for a couple decades. Yes, tough going, soaked, alders, multiple creek/river crossings, old tank traps etc. Had to camp on an old bridge lol - only spot where there was enough open ground to pitch a tent. Anyways, good times, memorable experience. Lots of work and a CT scan a page long after the trip, but it was worth it. :wink:

Guess the question is: Is the juice worth the squeeze? Depends on one's perspective.

markomoose
11-30-2013, 07:24 PM
You can get better odds putting in the archery zones? I have a buddies kid who,s been drawn twice in the Conuma in 4 attemps.Got a bull both times.They were,nt huge but the freezers full.

markomoose
11-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Looking to upgrade from my 9x9 woods wall tent.Where,s the best price/value for a guy,s hard earned money

Salty
11-30-2013, 07:30 PM
The spot we were in hadn't been logged for a couple decades. Yes, tough going, soaked, alders, multiple creek/river crossings, old tank traps etc. Had to camp on an old bridge lol - only spot where there was enough open ground to pitch a tent. Anyways, good times, memorable experience. Lots of work and a CT scan a page long after the trip, but it was worth it. :wink:

Guess the question is: Is the juice worth the squeeze? Depends on one's perspective.

And that's what I like to see.. someone get drawn for a tough area that has done the homework before applying, realises what it takes, actually goes on the hunt, and has a bit of a fetish for self inflicted pain. lol. Its one of BC's gems its a shame when a some one get's drawn then realises they're out of their element and/or don't have the gear to get it done.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Is that the "juice" that came out of your discs??

SSS

11-30-2013, 09:55 PM
They all have huntable populations.

You can sit on the couch and complain, or go hunting. I would pick the best odds, get drawn and 'git er done'.

Im not one to sit on the couch, nor am I complaining. Just wanted some opinions.

gerrygoat
11-30-2013, 10:12 PM
They seem like an amazing animal. Like the rest of you I hope to draw a tag one day, probably north island so I can take the ferry down from Prince Rupert.

GoatGuy
12-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Im not one to sit on the couch, nor am I complaining. Just wanted some opinions.
Sorry don't get the wrong impression, wasn't directed at you. Those are the two approaches hunters seem to take on this species and many other leh draws for that matter.

hunter1947
12-01-2013, 06:28 AM
My thoughts are go for an average odd draw for LEH Roosevelt..

Over the past few years putting in for lower odds that I had looked at from the past years regs LEH turned out to be hi odds the next years LEH for Roosevelt elk..

Many hunters see the low odds in the LEH regs and when they see this they put in for it the next LEH season I try to stay away from the lower odd LEH good areas to hunt for Roosevelt elk .

I learned over the years not to put in for low odds or hi odds I look at the middle odds it still stinks that I have not got picked over the last 26 years but I still keep trying and hopping one day I will get picked again..

12-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I will really put some thought I to this.