PDA

View Full Version : Your best alpine deer advice...

7mmWSM
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I am looking to go on an early season alpine blacktail/mule deer hunt this september (Sept 1), but am new to this type of hunting. I have been backpacking for years so gear is not so much the issue as is what type of areas to hunt, what are the deer feeding on at this time of the year, and how high will I find these guys so early in the season. I am thinking of going into region 3-33, as I have done some climbing in that area and know a few trails to the alpine. Is this a good region to head to for this type of a hunt? How long do you guys typically need to spend up high to see a decent amount of deer? Is getting near a 4 pointer realistic, or should I find a region that is open to any buck early in September? I have seen some beauty pics of alpine bucks on this site so I know the experts are here!

Phil
02-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I am definitly not an expert but I have done some scouting in 3-33 and some hunting. I also have a friend who spent a lot of time there last season. It is some of my favorite country. I have seen quite a few mule deer there throughout different times of the season. I don't think you will have any trouble finding one especially on foot. There is plenty of grass there so it should come as no surprise that they are eating it. As for black tails being that for North I'm not sure but there are others here who hunt them and will tell you the likelyhood of seeing one there. Good luck and post some pics after the hunt.

steel_ram
02-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Usually you find more in the sub-alpine, but often crossing the big open spaces. Especially just after dawn when they're heading back to bed.

I have taken them up in the open rock plateau's. I suspect they were there to escape the early season bugs.

Advice. Find an area with good adjacent low land, water etc. Deer will often feed in these area's over night and head up and over the alpine in the early daylight. Be there before them, don't use the same route they do.

Be sure to take a breather before breaking over the top.

MattB
02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Check out the areas in August and locate where the bucks are, they will be right there in early sept! Good luck!

mark
02-05-2007, 08:20 PM
The first time I hiked into the alpine I bagged this guy by ten o'clock! The peak in the back ground was the highest peak in the whole range! He just jumped out of nowhere, slammed him at 75 yards. I figured this was easy hunting, went back a few times never saw another deer. This was early oct. about 10 years ago reg. 5. Twas 6 hours of dragging to get him out. I learned 2 words that day "de-bone @ pack"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/T-cam_pics.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3462&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

dana
02-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I have glassed some real decent muleys in the highcountry of 3-33 in the past. If you do your homework you shouldn't have a problem finding a solid 170 class 4 point or two. Best bet is to spend the time preseason, locate the bucks in the Reds. Get up high early, I mean really early. Bucks are most active the first few hours of light. That means you need to be climbing in the dark, or else coyoting out the night at your glassin perch. It isn't efficient to scout in the summer much past 8 am. Most bucks are bedded well before that time. 4:30-6:30 is the time to be behind the glass. You locate the bucks, in which basin they are living and you should be able to find those same bucks Sept 1st opening morn.
Try to get well away from all the hiking/horse trails. The more remote the better.
Pick up a copy of Public Land Mulies by David Long. You can buy it straight from Eastmans Journal or from websites like Monster Muleys. Another great read is Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman. It isn't in print any more but if you can find it used, buy it. Both these books cover the basics that any high country hunter should know. Life changing for those just getting into this style of hunting.
If you do your homework hopefully opening day you'll be able to get 40 yards from a bedded high country monster like this. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0191a.jpg

Hunter4life
02-05-2007, 08:28 PM
You need to have lots of patience!!!! Finding a 4 point buck will probably be the easy part of the trip if your not picky and holding out for a monster. Make sure you watch the bucks bed down before stalking, no matter how long it takes. During my hunt last season they didnt bed untill around 10 o'clock so that means sitting in one spot for 4+ hours. After you find where your buck bedded then you have all day to stalk him if he is not disturbed. Take your time and be paitient.

Fisher-Dude
02-05-2007, 10:20 PM
The first time I hiked into the alpine I bagged this guy by ten o'clock! The peak in the back ground was the highest peak in the whole range! He just jumped out of nowhere, slammed him at 75 yards. I figured this was easy hunting, went back a few times never saw another deer. This was early oct. about 10 years ago reg. 5. Twas 6 hours of dragging to get him out. I learned 2 words that day "de-bone @ pack"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/T-cam_pics.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3462&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

Was this kid old enough to hunt? Does he even shave yet? :lol: :lol:

Nice buck young fella! ;-)

Husky7mm
02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Approach from above, be there before opening day, have good optics, beprepaired for ANY wheather, and get in shape!

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Is that a case of apples behind the big rock? :lol:

Will
02-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Was this kid old enough to hunt? Does he even shave yet?

Is that Bobby Flay ! :lol: :lol:
Jk ;)
Nice Buck Dude ! 8)

scoot
02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Scout prior to hunt, stay high, like dana said, get far off the trails, and like husky said, be ready for ANY weather. You could see in sept well in to the minus with a good chunk of snow, or +25, and she will change quick.

brno375
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Sounds similar to sheep hunting to me. I'll have to give it a go.

bigwhiteys
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I ran into 3 really nice mule deer bucks in the alpine while putting a stalk on some rams a couple years ago. They definitely can hang out in the same country.

7mmWSM
02-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. It sounds like I will be trying to get out for a pre season scouting trip or two. From what I am hearing it would seem that I should be focussing on the edges of timber that break open into subalpine/alpine areas. Do these deer hang out in that dense krummholz stuff, or do they bed lower down?

GoatGuy
02-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Go in July/August and have a look - figure out where you want to be in Sept and as Dana said be there early.

Make sure you're there for that first day of the season and the first week - the bucks seem to spend more visible time in the alpine that first week until they clean up their antlers. After that it's more first light and last - just a personal observation.

You're also competing with first pressure from other hunters.

Husky7mm
02-06-2007, 08:21 PM
They will bed in the wide open alpine mixed grasses until something disturbs them. This is my favorite hunting, its very addictive and it will haunt your dreams:smile:

Sieg-MM
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Good luck Husky7mm. Once you experience apline hunting, you will have a hard time leaving that country in the month of September.

As expressed by others, being there on opening day is everything. If your spot will see presure on the first day, the chances of seeing a big boy lessens from there on out (my experience). Most of those bucks will run to the jungle.

Soup
02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
[quote=dana]I have glassed some real decent muleys in the highcountry of 3-33 in the past. If you do your homework you shouldn't have a problem finding a solid 170 class 4 point or two. Best bet is to spend the time preseason, locate the bucks in the Reds. Get up high early, I mean really early. Bucks are most active the first few hours of light. That means you need to be climbing in the dark, or else coyoting out the night at your glassin perch. It isn't efficient to scout in the summer much past 8 am. Most bucks are bedded well before that time. 4:30-6:30 is the time to be behind the glass. You locate the bucks, in which basin they are living and you should be able to find those same bucks Sept 1st opening morn.
Try to get well away from all the hiking/horse trails. The more remote the better.
Pick up a copy of Public Land Mulies by David Long. You can buy it straight from Eastmans Journal or from websites like Monster Muleys. Another great read is Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman. It isn't in print any more but if you can find it used, buy it. Both these books cover the basics that any high country hunter should know. Life changing for those just getting into this style of hunting.
If you do your homework hopefully opening day you'll be able to get 40 yards from a bedded high country monster like this. :)

I have noticed that a lot of your advise has been along the same lines as Mike Eastmans. And terms like "the reds" and "coyoting out" surely have been borrrowed from him.:wink: I had a chance to meet Mike down in Seatle during a sportsmans expo and also caught his seminar on high country mule deer hunting. I have a signed copy of his book and 2nd that it is a great read. Top notch advise. It's funny to hear mention of this book, as today I was thinking of "popeye" and how he survived all those years of hunting on public lands.

Dedication...you must be dedicated...too many hunters expect to find some easy "hot spot" and although they happen, and I say happen, because you'll hear of someone saying deer were everywhere, it was usually a coincedence of timing and weather...both very undependable and unpredictable.

If you have the dedication and perseverance of say a sheep hunter, you'll find your bucks. Just like sheep hunting, perhaps even more so...glass, glass, glass and glass some more. High quality optics makes this much easier and more enjoyable.

Good luck!

~T-BONE~
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Dedication...you must be dedicated...too many hunters expect to find some easy "hot spot" and although they happen, and I say happen, because you'll hear of someone saying deer were everywhere, it was usually a coincedence of timing and weather...both very undependable and unpredictable.

Predictable! Just have to know the habits in conjuction with the season and weather !!!! Kinda sounds like after rememberance day hunting for Blacktails!!

Soup
02-07-2007, 12:03 AM
T-Bone, I guess I got a little off topic with that statement, as I was referrring to storries and events that have happened to friends of mine albeit, during November, not September. Although the weather in September, especially up high can very unpredictable...and scary.

I have hunted blacktails all my life, they are without a doubt, our toughest deer hunt...just ask the so called experts about our coastal blacktail. Yup the remberance day is a popular weekend, not just for blacktails...muleys too.

There is no secret when the deer rut...it may vary year to year, but generally it's within a week or less, but it doens't mean that there will also majically be 3-4 feet of snow forcing all the deer to thier winter range, which is usually easy access to hunters, so that we have time to weed through the "dumb" rutting bucks, and pick one that we want and can shoot at our liesure. Some Novembers it just rains and rains...ie unpredictable.:wink:

I guess the reason I wanted to point that out, is I have run into too many hunters that want to know the "where" instead of the how and why.:|

Mr. Dean
02-07-2007, 01:59 AM
...I have run into too many hunters that want to know the "where" instead of the how and why.
Right On!
You could also exchange the word hunters for fisherman.
Far to many people focus on the prize and insist on wearing blinders.

IMO.

Excellent thread!

bcmulie
02-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Another good book is "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" by Dwight Schuh.

Best advice? Glass, glass, glass some more, then glass. Don't skyline yourself. Scroll. Practice "non-polluting" hunting (see Schuh's book). Get in shape.

Alpine hunting for mule deer is some of the best hunting there is. Good luck!

bcmulie

dana
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Soup,
I have hunted the highcountry since I was a young 'un tagging along with my ol' man. But I never really 'hunted' the highcountry until I read Mike's book. Actually, I read it and thought a lot of it was BS. Climbed a mountain a week later to try to disprove Mike. Man, was I humbled when I saw bucks up in the granite, well away from any subalpine timber. The more I scouted, the more I became a believer in the 'Eastman's Way'. Of course over the years I have developed my own tactics for hunting the highcountry just by trail and error. The basics are still there though, and it really doesn't matter if you read Darner, Eastman, Schuh or Long, they pretty much all say most of the same things. For anyone new to highcountry mulies, I recommend that they read all of them. David Long's book is the newest on the market and from the begginer's perspective, that is the one I would start with. David is as hard-core as they come. I had the pleasure several years ago to be a part of a small group of muley nuts that used to hang out on David's Magnum Mulies site. I have nothing but the utmost respect for David. He really knows his stuff.

In my mind hunting early season high country bucks is about the best way possible to hammer a monster. The rut is very unpredictable. A buck can be in one spot one day and 20 kms away the next chasing the elusive pussy. But if you locate a Monster in August and pattern him, he'll use the same bed, the same feeding location, the same travel routes day in and day out. Makes things way easier for an ambush.

Husky7mm
02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Another good mule deer read is "Mule deer Strategies" By Walf Prothero
It will make you a better "mature" mule deer hunter.

hunter1947
02-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I find that mulies come down from the hi country when the rut starts ,the does are found at a lower elevation all year around. But if your hunting in the early season go hi ,most big bucks are way back up in the hi country. hunter 1947.

JMac
02-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Ground and pound!

Big Buck Country! Peak is over 9000 feet and the bucks lay in the shale just below the top.

300WinMag
04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
At what elevations does the alpine usually begin in most areas? I have been doing some scouting and, on the coast, I am finding that most of the peaks go from timber to rock and, in the interior, the highest peaks in a lot of the ranges I am familiar with have timber to the top. I am in search of some nice alpine bowls like the ones in the Eastman/Long videos. Any advice would be appreciated. I am not looking for particular spots, but more of an approach to follow when selecting areas.

steveo32
04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
My best advice is follow mattb around and i am sure you will tag a 170" alpine muley:twisted: Juwst ask matt for advice and i am sure he can point you in the right direction

steve

frenchbar
04-09-2007, 09:29 PM
The biggest bucks i have taken have been bedded down up in the rocks above 6500 ft .i like to key on those areas when im in the alpine.the areas i hunt in region 5 ,you have only sept to hunt them because most of them migrate out to there wintering grounds by the start of oct ,lots of moose but slim pickens on the muleys after oct starts. like every one says ,scout em in aug ,go get them opening day.:smile:

lapadat
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
"Are we above those high-country bucks yet?"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_532.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4022&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=847)

Islandeer
04-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Lap,great shot! Gotta be high, my dog and i won't be at the Bridal Falls Test, we need more handeling work to compete in Masters.

srupp
04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Look for a "60 watt light bulb "....
The BIG bucks lay where the wind and scents can get to them they stay cool and bug free....and with wind their nose dries out so they are constantly LICKING their nose and that wet licked nose shines JUST LIKE A 60 WATT lightbulb .....

Steven

frenchbar
04-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Ayoung frenchbar 13 yrs old with my horse named buck with a typical 4pt,taken at roughly 6000 ft 1975.my most memorable trip.
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5197315

oscar makonka
04-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Sneaky, you might be older now but you still as crazy, opened your pic for you.http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/markdriscoll/9923341349.jpg

mapguy
04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Once you figure it out you won't stop .3-33 3-32 some world class bucks in there . its a lot of work but worth it be fussy don't shoot a small one untill your last day some of the areas are no vehicules . then you wailk for hrs .you might want a bipod sight in for 300 yrds minnimun.Sept can be tricky there
if you see 30 40 deer heading down follow them you can get snowed in in no time up there if your lucky you might get a trophy
My bud let a world record go last year didn't have a good angle better than some of jim shokey's bucks . Expect it to take a couple of years to find the perfect buck .JUst shew the lttle 4 pts out of your way.