PDA

View Full Version : Pepperoni Sticks

Blacktail
11-30-2013, 09:06 AM
After some prodding from a couple from here and other sites here is the pepperoni recipe

Pepperoni sticks

3 1/2 pounds venison
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
3 tbsp. course salt
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. cayenne
1 tsp crushed anise
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp thyme
8 cloves pressed garlic ( or 6 tsp granulated )
1 tbsp. liquid smoke if not using a smoker
1 cup red wine
1 1/2 tsp FS cure ( 8 grams) or whatever cure of your choice but follow the directions

These can be made with this recipe or use any of the commercial mixes that you can buy

Processing Pepperoni

Pretty much the same process in the oven or smoker ( just like the summer sausage )

Oven Processing

take the sausage out of the refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature ( can take up to 2 hours)
preheat the oven to 150-170 degrees
spread out the sausages so they are not touching
insert a temperature probe into one of the sausages and bring the internal temperature up to around 130 degrees ( around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes)
put in a tray of water in the bottom of the oven so the cases don't dry out too much and remember to turn the sausages so the bottoms don't over cook
when the internal temperature is reached increase the oven temperature to 180 -200 degrees and bring the internal temperature of the sausage to 155 degrees.
Take the sausages out and dip in ice cold water for at least 10 minutes. This helps to set the fat in the sausages.
Hang the sausages and let them air dry for a couple hours then put them in the refrigerator to cool down overnight before packaging.

Smoking

Preheat smoker to around 140 degrees
Hang the sausages from your smoker rods and insert your temperature probe into one of them
Cook the sausages until the internal temperature comes up to around 90 degrees
start your smoke and add in a tray of water to prevent the casings from drying out
reset the temperature to around 150 to 170 degrees and cook till the internal temperature reaches about 140 degrees
when that temperature has been reached turn up the smoker to around 180 degrees and bring the internal temperature of the sausage to 155 degrees
Take the sausages out of the smoker and dip in ice water for at least 10 minutes
Hang for a couple hours to air dry then put them in the fridge to cool down overnight before packaging

With either process you can continue to dry them out further if that's what you want to have drier sausages
You can even put them in a dehydrator after they reach the required internal temperature to dry or keep them in the oven or smoker to dry more

Hurtlocker
11-30-2013, 09:55 AM
This recipe looks great thanks for Sharing. Just wondering what size and type (Synthetic or natural) of casing have you used for pepperoni?

Blacktail
11-30-2013, 10:09 AM
For pepperoni I have used anything from 19 mmm casing right up to making them as large as 1 1/2 inch casing like summer sausage

For these sticks I normally use collagen casings in the 19 to 21mm size

tomahawk
11-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks Blacktail, much appreciated!!

rifleman
12-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanx Blacktail. We have a batch on now using caribou. can't wait to try it.... Cheers :)

Jager
12-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Can you tell me what FS cure is and where to get it?

Blacktail
12-10-2013, 07:32 PM
FS cure is just the cure I use for my sausages
Try a local butcher and he might be able to sell you some or give Alfred at Brauns Custom Meats a call ( outside Duncan)
If not you can order cure from Halford out of Edmonton