PDA

View Full Version : A pair of teals on a Friday morning..

Kudu
11-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Ranger95 and I got the invite late yesterday afternoon, finally permission to shoot on some awesome private property that we have had an eye on for a long time...

It may have been wet and cold - but my barrel was warm...we really have found a little nugget.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b535/privateaffair/c73d6fbf75e22baf3d3629f17f4f22ab_zpsae129448.jpg

warnniklz
11-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Gotta be a good shot to get those tasty treats

adriaticum
11-29-2013, 04:06 PM
I am starting to think that Kudu does voodoo

Sako 75
11-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Gotta be a good shot to get those tasty treats

Are they really that good eating? The area I shoot they are lot those 70 mile per fliers but never bother shooting them. I like filling my bag limit of mallards instead.

f350ps
11-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Looks like you found the mother lode, good on ya! K

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
11-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Sako 75 - "Are they really that good eating?"

Teal are great. Whether one prefers them to Malard would be a personal choice, yet any Waterfowler owes it to themself to give Teal in a Jar a try. They are among my favourite of all Game Birds, Migratory or otherwise.

Kuudu, congratulations Sir! What a fine thing to occur.

Kudu
11-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Are they really that good eating? The area I shoot they are lot those 70 mile per fliers but never bother shooting them. I like filling my bag limit of mallards instead.

I try and not kill mallard right now - they taste like shit down here on the coast (salmon) - January / Feb things start improving again.

Teal make fatastic table fare - one of the few ducks I grill whole on my BBQ (teriyaki sauce) you should try it sometime

kyleklassen
11-29-2013, 09:17 PM
how are them feb mallards?

Kudu
11-29-2013, 09:23 PM
how are them feb mallards?

Icy and safe - I can't whack them after Jan 24

warnniklz
11-29-2013, 09:59 PM
I love em... juat don't fill ya up

f350ps
11-29-2013, 10:33 PM
I try and not kill mallard right now - they taste like shit down here on the coast (salmon) - January / Feb things start improving again.

Teal make fatastic table fare - one of the few ducks I grill whole on my BBQ (teriyaki sauce) you should try it sometime
Interesting theory on the Mallards, I'd love to know the basis in which you come up with that idea! K

Kudu
11-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Interesting theory on the Mallards, I'd love to know the basis in which you come up with that idea! K

The taste of wild duck is highly dependent on where that duck has been feeding.

If you have seen this....(while out and about with a fly rod in hand)

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/9dc3a9007158aebd586a3c544e0bec23_zpsf0b7417a.jpg

Or this

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/72b2955484a6be65319dbf886fd0aa0e_zpsd8756edf.jpg

Or this

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/85dc49730a762199a694e9ad27f65d61_zpsb2f20574.jpg

(Yum yum .... Stinky salmon....)

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/0299f5fca993510db818080314889843_zps6d4a7d21.jpg

then you would know exactly where I get that theory from...... Hope that clears it up for you.

f350ps
11-30-2013, 10:08 AM
No not really, the only time I've ever eaten fishy tasting Mallards was many years ago during a freeze up out in Deroche, they were feeding on dead dog salmon. But by using your logic you shouldn't ever eat a Mallard as they are migratory and come down from the north where the fish spawn earlier than down here so unless you know where they were feeding yer screwed! When I'm cleaning them I just take a sniff and in 40 years of cleaning ducks I can honestly say I may get a couple stinky ones per year, in which case they go into the sausage pail. Pretty much every guy I know looks forward to mid November and the arrival of the northern Mallards as they are the best eaters around! I'm not trying to convince an ole pro such as yourself but I don't want to see the new waterfowlers miss out on some great eating birds because you deemed them fish eaters!! K

Kudu
11-30-2013, 11:47 AM
No not really, the only time I've ever eaten fishy tasting Mallards was many years ago during a freeze up out in Deroche, they were feeding on dead dog salmon. But by using your logic you shouldn't ever eat a Mallard as they are migratory and come down from the north where the fish spawn earlier than down here so unless you know where they were feeding yer screwed! When I'm cleaning them I just take a sniff and in 40 years of cleaning ducks I can honestly say I may get a couple stinky ones per year, in which case they go into the sausage pail. Pretty much every guy I know looks forward to mid November and the arrival of the northern Mallards as they are the best eaters around! I'm not trying to convince an ole pro such as yourself but I don't want to see the new waterfowlers miss out on some great eating birds because you deemed them fish eaters!! K

Sure - a good friend of mine taught me a trick - squeeze the gullets - if corn pops out "great bird" - if smelly salmon comes out - "friends bird" .......:mrgreen:

albravo2
11-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Sure - a good friend of mine taught me a trick - squeeze the gullets - if corn pops out "great bird" - if smelly salmon comes out - "friends bird" .......:mrgreen:

That right there is pretty funny. Maybe its a good thing we don't exchange Christmas presents;-)

f350ps
11-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Hahahaha....now ya got it!! :). K

Farmer
11-30-2013, 04:58 PM

I agree Kelly. The only time we have had a fishy mallard is during/after a hard freeze up when the mallards head to the bigger water and feed on fish. If the sloughs are open, no worries.

Maybe Kudu should stop shooting mallards on the Harrison in the fall.:wink: