PDA

View Full Version : For all the wolf killers

bigneily
11-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Have any of you guys had any luck howling for them during the day ? Or is it better left until the evening or morning ?. My buddy and I found where a rancher had dropped off a dead cow and it was froze solid, we are gonna recheck it out and see if anything has been feeding on it ? . I heard wolves howling last week near this spot one morning, Hopeing they found it. I thought if I went in and starting howling that if they were close they might come in during the afternoon ? Or should we just stay quiet and wait till evening and see what happens.

LYKTOHUNT
11-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Yes on a couple of occasions I have had them respond by coming closer, but no luck yesterday when I had spotted a couple slinking through the timber, I could not get on them quick enough and calling did not bring them back at least that I could see

two-feet
11-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Sounds like you have a good set-up. Sneak in a hide in some cover and do the howls, if they are around they should respond. We had some howling by us a couple weeks ago and we brought them in with moose calls. I got a shot but missed (dang!) i have seen many many wolves out in the daylight hours. If they have been feeding on the carcass then a coyote call may also work.
i am no expert but just my 2 cents

adriaticum
11-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Good luck, they will probably respond.
I'll bring my dogs when I start hunting wolves this winter.
Let my dogs pee and poop all over the place. It's bound to attract wolves.

tomahawk
11-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Its a communication tool they use, works anytime.

bigneily
11-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Went back this afternoon, just seemed to be that coyotes ate the ass and part of a hind quarter out of the cow that's it. Not much going on , Gonna check again in a couple days. It is froze solid now , They will have to knaw at it now which will hopefully make it last longer.

hunter1947
11-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I have had good success calling in wolfs anytime during the day time shooting hours ,,if you hear the wolfs call find a good place to set up then call to them they will most likely come to your calls..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ncctIpMdQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ncctIpMdQ)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fvP56-smZk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlCmE3lhShA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVzA25s78C8

The Hermit
11-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Never hunted wolves myself so take it for what its worth... I'd set up a tree-stand with a full view of the bait. Being up about 15 feet will definitely help to keep your scent out of their noses and may hide small movements. Get in the tree for an hour or so before starting to howl to give a bit of time to disperse your scent from the surrounds. Good luck!

quadrakid
11-30-2013, 11:44 AM
My son in law called in a pack of wolves inadvertently while using his deer call last weekend on Quadra.Surprised the hell out of him,he through a round into the dirt to put the fear into them.Said they were were still coming at fifty feet when he shot. If it was me I,d have been aiming a little higher than the ground.

curt
11-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you have a good set-up. Sneak in a hide in some cover and do the howls, if they are around they should respond. We had some howling by us a couple weeks ago and we brought them in with moose calls. I got a shot but missed (dang!) i have seen many many wolves out in the daylight hours. If they have been feeding on the carcass then a coyote call may also work.
i am no expert but just my 2 cents Well throw it out the buddy where are you seeing these wolves lets spread the word so we can all get some lead on them!! everyone who spots wolves should be spreading the word so my people can get out there and shoot them

CTmoose
11-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Have any of you guys had any luck howling for them during the day ? Or is it better left until the evening or morning ?. My buddy and I found where a rancher had dropped off a dead cow and it was froze solid, we are gonna recheck it out and see if anything has been feeding on it ? . I heard wolves howling last week near this spot one morning, Hopeing they found it. I thought if I went in and starting howling that if they were close they might come in during the afternoon ? Or should we just stay quiet and wait till evening and see what happens.
We've shot a few wolves over the years, I shot one last month, it ran across the rode and took off. So I jumped out and howled. Got him to come back out, boom dead. Had two others with him to find them watching me but I couldn't see them, they just kept howling. Usually they will send out a scout to see what the howl is, had a few do that but won't show themselves, just make a crash and run.

Terrier Blades
11-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Howling works, but mostly you'll get the young ones.

Rule #1 in wolf hunting is watch out for your scent, means the wind, their nose is incredible.
If I know they are in the area I usually use a predator call, works better in my opinion, even when a dead cow/cattle is there. They know about the food and with a commotion going on they would want to check out what's going on in their dining room.

Keep in mind that they have different howls and as one member mentioned it is their way of communication...... so if you do not hit the right note/song......

gunnar_17
11-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I have been very successful hand howling at all times of the day. The trick is finding fresh sign ie.less than 3hrs old.
My technique has been to hand howl to locate, once fresh sign is found or a pack is heard.
Once I get a reply I switch to an electronic caller and play fawn in distress and coyote food fight at the same time.
It seems that a pack of wolves can not handle the thought of coyotes eating a deer in their territory.
I have brought a few packs into "wish I had my scatter gun" range with this technique.

Good luck.

Terrier Blades
12-01-2013, 02:14 PM
You got it right, gunnar_17, wolves do not like coyotes and will hunt them whenever they can......
So your deer distress and coyotes calling is a sure 'must go and check out' for wolves....kill the coyote and get the deer....