PDA

View Full Version : Bison 757-A

rohall77
11-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi guys,

Heading up to Pink Mountain for the Dec 1 hunt and I was wondering if there has been much success so far this season. We are staying at Helge's cabin and will snowmobile from there. I will post a hunt report when I get back hopefully with a success story. Either way it will be fun!

SKYLINE
11-29-2013, 09:09 AM
I'll be up there the same time. I pm'ed you.

BiG Boar
11-29-2013, 06:19 PM
I would recommend showing up around the 8th. There will be 80 or more piped up sleds chasing every single buffalo away from anywhere sleds can go on Dec 1st. Worst thing you can do is show up opening day. By day 10, 90% of hunters will have left from the extreme cold and lack of sightings and discouragement and the buffalo will be back down to their normal stomping grounds. Plus the discouraged hunters leaving will be glad to point you in the right direction. Don't waste your time on the first.

bigneily
11-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Big boar sounds experienced, words of advice for sure.

Darksith
11-29-2013, 07:12 PM
the extreme cold

spoken like a true LMLer ;) decent advice, but really the deeper in you can get, the less activity there will be. I would be more concerned right now about the amount of snow in the valley than anything else. Anyone have any reports? Don't be afraid to cross the open water, its only 18" deep, just don't stop after you get across, get the water out by driving, you stop and you could freeze up...that being said the more tricks you have up your sleeve the better. Show us some pics if you get 1

Ry151
11-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Big boar is 100% correct on this. It's a small valley with that many people hunting it. I know two guy hunting it now and they haven't seen a thing along with 5 other party's, the rest gave up. The haven't even seen a deer. Also there is hardly any snow so far

Darksith
11-30-2013, 11:16 AM
if there is no snow, from what I have learned from a friend with 5 hunts under his belt via family and friends, the bison will be up high or really far back in the valley....driving the valley bottom with little or no snow or not being able to get deep into the valley where the meadows are and little traffic is gonna make it tough to be successful.

moosenelk
12-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Bison 7-57 A
Has anypne been into this zone in the last month or even more recently? Got a BIson Draw Jan 1-15th looking for information as to cureent conditions and actual crossing fee to get but the ranch on pink mountian Road. Phone the Indians at the rate is $200 per tag holder and $150 for Helpers. Anyone used the bypass lately? How much snow is on the ground up there. Any current info would be helpful. Thanks

40incher
12-09-2013, 09:45 PM
What`s the latest on the snow conditions ... is it snowmobile or ATV access at this point ...

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Lots of snow Sleds are your best bet

Bou2006
12-09-2013, 11:01 PM
How much is lots of snow? Anyone seem to be having any luck? Seeing many animals?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Close to 2ft in the bush and there is a snowfall warning to nite 20-35 cm

40incher
12-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Hoping to head up soon so any updates are appreciated. Looks like a sled is the way to go.

Darksith
12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
sleds are really the only way to go if you wanna get back into the MU. Don't be afraid to cross the creek, you will know it when you see it ;) its only 1.5' deep, but don't stop after you get across or you could freeze up your tracks/rollers

moose2
12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Just got back, there is very little snow the liquid cooled mountain machine we had with us kept over heating. Lots of hunters and very little success. We hunted hard on sled and foot without a single sighting other than elk. Not sure where the fellow was that saw 18 to 24 inches of snow. The valley we were in had hard packed trails and only about 8 inches of powder in the bush. Made for easy walking except the cold was extreme at the start of our trip. It has snowed since we left but not sure how much more landed.I am going back next week with a buddy I am hoping something changes.
Mike

moose2
12-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Hoping to head up soon so any updates are appreciated. Looks like a sled is the way to go.

There wasn't lots of snow , but it was snowing when we left Sunday. The snow is ok for a sled , we would have liked more though. At least with a sled your allowed past the vehicle closer area. Which may be needed this year.
Mike

rohall77
12-11-2013, 01:14 PM
I hunted zone A from the 2nd to 9th of Dec we saw elk and caribou. No one I met saw or got a bison. We went to the top of pink mountain and back towards sikkani and only saw caribou. Some other guys went to Robb lake no luck. I think they are still high as there is not a lot of snow. Also was told there is a herd of 200 or so around Trimble lake. Not sure if it's in zone b.

I met skyline and his group and as of last night not much has changed.

Rob
12-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Anyone staying at the Blueberry Ranch or whatever its called now. Im booked from the 4-15 of Jan. Just wondering how the cabins were etc...

todbartell
12-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I heard they're a tad breezy inside

12-11-2013, 10:34 PM
One thing for sure, it's a roof over your head and manageable with fire wood, some are nicer then others. I hope the later tags like Rob's produce more because by the sounds of it it's been grim due to lack of snow 6 or 8 inches does nothing to bring them out of higher ground. Hope for snow Rob !

Good Luck

CT

Rob
12-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Just found their website, looks pretty good.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Just got back, there is very little snow the liquid cooled mountain machine we had with us kept over heating. Lots of hunters and very little success. We hunted hard on sled and foot without a single sighting other than elk. Not sure where the fellow was that saw 18 to 24 inches of snow. The valley we were in had hard packed trails and only about 8 inches of powder in the bush. Made for easy walking except the cold was extreme at the start of our trip. It has snowed since we left but not sure how much more landed.I am going back next week with a buddy I am hoping something changes.
Mike
been working around 101 if you walk in the bush the snow is past your Dunlop boots and since my last post it has snowed 6 inches ... I understand that the trail gets hard packed and the side hills get wind blown but only 8 inches is a tough one to believe ...I have been wrong before ... And if you sled past the second river crossing past the old trappers cabin the snow is normally deeper back in the valley ...

rohall77
12-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Some of the guys we met said they couldn't keep warm others were fine. If you stay there you have to pay the trespass fee. 200 for the tag holder and 150 for the helpers. This covers the duration of the hunt. We stayed at Helge's cabin it was warm but you need to take your own dishes, pots and pans, lights and propane. He has wood a wood stove, beds and a propane hot plate.

we took the bypass and it take 40 minutes to an hour.

Darksith
12-12-2013, 06:14 PM
been working around 101 if you walk in the bush the snow is past your Dunlop boots and since my last post it has snowed 6 inches ... I understand that the trail gets hard packed and the side hills get wind blown but only 8 inches is a tough one to believe ...I have been wrong before ... And if you sled past the second river crossing past the old trappers cabin the snow is normally deeper back in the valley ...

isn't the halfway valley not 101? That valley doesn't get a lot of snow probably because its in the rain shadow of the mountains.

The only reason some people can't keep warm is because they have no idea what they are getting into...it must be. If you know how to dress for cold and you have the right gear it shouldn't be an issue unless it gets below -30.

Sitkaspruce
12-12-2013, 08:29 PM
There is over 2' of snow here in town and it is still coming down. Not sure of the Halfway though, but I was off the 95 road last weekend and there was 2' there in the bush.

Supposed to clear this weekend, then start snowing again next week.

Cheers

SS

yama49
12-12-2013, 08:40 PM
isn't the halfway valley not 101? That valley doesn't get a lot of snow probably because its in the rain shadow of the mountains.

The only reason some people can't keep warm is because they have no idea what they are getting into...it must be. If you know how to dress for cold and you have the right gear it shouldn't be an issue unless it gets below -30.

101 is south of the halfway valley. Think halfway valley is 145 ish

Rob
12-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Sounds like I should be up there at a decent time. Figuring on bringing a chainsaw with veg oil and just quartering (and skinning the quarters). How much meat do you get off an average Bison? not looking for a monster. Also how far back can we expect to travel (average of course as its all dependant). Figure were ready for the colder weather we may get but any tips from previous trips is appreciated.
Thanks, rob

RustyRipper
12-13-2013, 05:16 AM
If you head down the 141 rd just south of the pink mountain store and go all the way past all the ranches and out past the air strip you'll get to some gas service roads. Its a really long road so give yourself lots of time if you're planning on going out there for first light. It ends up basically on the other side of the valley from where you'd be by going thru the Indian ranch. Only you don't have to pay! Also there is access by snowmobile into the valley. They do hang out in the clearings of the gas wells even in the late season. My only advice from what I learned on our buffalo hunt a few years ago is look for them in even the most unexpected places. They will amaze you and change everything you thought you knew about buffalo. We saw them in the thickest deepest woods and up the side of bare mountains. Just never know. But definitely this time of year they are pushed way back into the valley. Good luck. Looking forward to a successful story and photos.

RustyRipper
12-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Oh and whatever you do, make sure you skin it right away when you get one!!! Even if its minus 40! There were a couple guys a few years ago who shot a decent bull at last light. They dressed it and shoved a stick in its cavity then left it over night to deal with it in the morning. It was -35 at night and not much warmer in the day so they figured it was fine. Next day they could barely get 10 feet from it without vomiting. The meat had rotted. Sounds unbelievable but its true. Remember they have the second thickest hide and fur on the planet! Trick is to skin it, dress it and open up the gut cavity then cut open the hump for airflow. (That is if you have to leave it for "any" amount of time. Otherwise just quarter it as per usual. Good luck.

bridger
12-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Oh and whatever you do, make sure you skin it right away when you get one!!! Even if its minus 40! There were a couple guys a few years ago who shot a decent bull at last light. They dressed it and shoved a stick in its cavity then left it over night to deal with it in the morning. It was -35 at night and not much warmer in the day so they figured it was fine. Next day they could barely get 10 feet from it without vomiting. The meat had rotted. Sounds unbelievable but its true. Remember they have the second thickest hide and fur on the planet! Trick is to skin it, dress it and open up the gut cavity then cut open the hump for airflow. (That is if you have to leave it for "any" amount of time. Otherwise just quarter it as per usual. Good luck.

Good advice!

BiG Boar
12-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Well, at least there is snow in there for you guys. Sorry to hear about your tough luck OP. Its a tough hunt at the best of times. Like I said though, don't go opening day of your hunt when there are 50 other machines ripping up and down the valley, and you might have a little more success. Doesn't sound like a lot have been taken this year. I wish they would just take them off the draw already. Obviously with the increase in tag numbers each year, hunters are not doing enough.

12-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Rob ..... Use the Gutless method ........ don't bother with spine and ribs, no need too. Watch the Yukon Video on how too do it, You Tube. Its the only way to go, and your not paying big $$$ to your meat cutter. Also, do the hide right away in one piece and roll er up, or it will freeze to a 5 x 9 sheet of Bison plywood, they are an incredible rug or blanket. Ya it's not cheap but I will do another some day, well worth it.
I do need to add .... to get the tenderloins out you will have to access the upper back-infront of hind legs ........ but ya don't have to take out all the guts!
CT

bisonhunter
12-13-2013, 11:27 AM
I second Curlytop on the gutless method. I've dealt with a lot of bison over the years and each of them was a ton of work to gut and quarter. When I started with the gutless method I couldn't believe the difference. I took 6 hours one time to gut/quarter/load a giant bull in the tobaggon (3 guys). We did 3 bison inside of 2 hours with the gutless method with the same 3 guys. No meat wasted, we just didn't take the spine/pelvis /legs, and most importantly we didn't have to deal with the gut sack. You won't believe how heavy they are.
Good luck.

BiG Boar
12-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Another for gutless method. That being said, I'd take a hand saw in and take a section of ribs.

12-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Then Rack er up sideways on the sled and Look Like FRED FLINTSTONE going out ......... sheesh now there's a RACK OF RIBS ...... they'll tip ya over haha

Yabadabadooooo Ski dooooooo Jelvis where are you

CT

Iltasyuko
12-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Yabadabadooooo Ski dooooooo Jelvis where are you

CT

HAHA - Nice!

Rob
12-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Anyone have an update on snow conditions?

tomahawk
12-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Best ribs with a lot of meat on a bison, no problem to quarter them and easy to pack out on skimmers. We've done 5 bulls this way, all comes out intact with the hump and ribs which are great eats.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_0085.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/tomahawktom/media/SAM_0085.jpg.html)[/IMG

[IMG]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_0086.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/tomahawktom/media/SAM_0086.jpg.html)

Sitkaspruce
12-20-2013, 07:39 PM
101 has just over 2' and we are supposed to get more, but its warming up and should settle some of the snow down. Not sure about the upper HW, but cannot be much different.

Cheers

SS

Rob
12-22-2013, 06:12 PM
anyone dropping anything?.........

44inchStone
12-22-2013, 11:33 PM
The guys that went back to Robb lake with their machines are lucky in two ways.
One is that they didn't break down and had to tow someone back. It is ALONG way from the ranch.
second is the border for atv's and sleds are at the no atv sign.
It is clearly posted and many guys were getting busted for being behind the sign this year.
mind you there was natives from the ranch way past bishops fishing hole with a pick up.
There are no trucks allowed past the trappers cabin although this year there
were a few dummies
in there that shot two cows and a 3 point bull elk because they thought it was the zone that allowed it.
best thing to do was just to report these idiots.
we had walked back into a valley past the no truck area and met up with other guys in trucks that said the guy they paid at the ranch said that it was perfecty fine for them to go back there.
He was wrong too and the CO from ft St. John was on a head hunt.
what I'm saying is that ensure where you are hunting is the right zone obiding by the right rules. It states in the hunting regs that if you are unsure, it is your responsibility to make sure. Not knowing or saying " he said it was ok" won't cut it and it may cost you. Just some friendly advice. Now if I'm wrong about the motor vehicle rules that may have been in your bison package, please clarify.
Merry Christmas and happy hunting in 2014

Bear Chaser
12-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Snowmobiles are allowed past the no atv sign.

44inchStone
12-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Hmmmm, see ya learn something new everyday. Thanks for the clarification. Would just hate to break down back there. Nasty.

Rob
12-23-2013, 02:52 PM
How far back is it?

Darksith
12-23-2013, 04:24 PM
where is all the pics of bison down?

rohall77
12-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I think Robb lake is around 50 k or so back. No pictures since I don't think anyone is getting any. We didn't see any for the Dec 1 to 15 hunt.

Rob
12-23-2013, 07:47 PM
this is nuts..Has anyone from the site shot a Bison this year?? I think I have more coin tied up into my upcoming Bison hunt than last years fly in sheep hunt.

40incher
12-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Saw a picture of a young cow that was shot around December 2nd. Other than that the hunter said no one else they met had shot anything.

BiG Boar
12-23-2013, 08:25 PM
I saw one shot on Oct 1. Nice bull. There were lots to choose from for sure that we saw. But keep in mind the restrictions that are in place in that area. The outfitter wanted them, and now they are the outfitters problem, as I don't believe they are being managed effectively. What they need to do is put an open season on them. I honestly wonder how many were shot this season. They should be like the wild turkeys here. Seen as an invasive species. Just my own opinion. I would love the chance to hunt them again.

Darksith
12-24-2013, 12:16 AM
I saw one shot on Oct 1. Nice bull. There were lots to choose from for sure that we saw. But keep in mind the restrictions that are in place in that area. The outfitter wanted them, and now they are the outfitters problem, as I don't believe they are being managed effectively. What they need to do is put an open season on them. I honestly wonder how many were shot this season. They should be like the wild turkeys here. Seen as an invasive species. Just my own opinion. I would love the chance to hunt them again.

you saw them on horseback? I will be posting our hunt, successful or not come end of january when I get back. Im pretty confident, hopefully not overly so, but I have a buddy that has been on 5 of these and hes pretty sure we will connect.

yama49
12-24-2013, 01:09 PM
There in there, but sounds like not where u can access them easily..http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/JEARL49/IMG_2394.jpg (http://s435.photobucket.com/user/JEARL49/media/IMG_2394.jpg.html)http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/JEARL49/PA030389.jpg (http://s435.photobucket.com/user/JEARL49/media/PA030389.jpg.html)

Rob
12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Nice Pics! Anyone have a snow update??

Bear Chaser
12-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Fort St. John has had 120 cm so far in December alone and the white crap doesn't seem to be slowing down either. Should be plenty of snow up there except maybe the wind swept spots.

Br4d
09-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi how's everyone, I've read a few posts and threads but haven't come across anything recent. I'm interested in any information regarding Buffalo hunt in LEH 7-57 A I've been lucky and gotten a group hunt but know nothing of the area, except having to pay to cross private land, and tough access to the area. I'm wondering if anyone has a contact number of who to ask, if you still have to pay, maybe a better map of area, Draw is for first 2 weeks October

I thank you in advance.

Trevorg
09-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Anyone have contact info for the natives at the ranch. Trying to find out first hand what the trespass fee for this year is. Be nice if they would come up with a set price and just leave it.