PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail Hunting Help

Tuckster
11-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I am trying to fill my first BC big game tag this year and havent had a lot of success so far. I am hunting in the Lower Mainland and have found a few areas with a good amount of sign. Today I stumbled upon a real nice run through the top part of an older cut which is two years from becoming un-shootable. Lots of fresh tracks and scat, being used on a regular basis, they are skirting the top of the cut, back and forth into the woods.

I am new to BC and Blacktail hunting in general and I really dont know a ton about what these guys do through the day. I'm looking for suggestions on how to attack the above area. Should I get in at black and wait on that Run? Should I stalk through the timbers inside the cut edge? Walking through the cut is a useless affair - way to noisy. Should I set up and rattle/call? Look for a food source or grazing area or a bedding area?

What do these guys eat? Also, do they generally bed down through the day or are they active?

Woud love any advice from the Blacktail pros out there. From some of the pics I've seen on here this year, there are a great amount of Blacktail pros!

brian
11-28-2013, 08:34 PM
First off, how much hunting pressure does the area see?

Tuckster
11-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Quite a bit, Its out near Mission. Lots of sign, but only in areas that are devoid of Quad trails, i've walked a while looking for places that people have not been frequenting. They are clearly not in super obvious places. Overall though, the area in general sees traffic.

longstonec
11-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Traffic makes for a lot of looking over your shoulder while hunting.

Camp Cook
11-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Wait till it rains hard then head in if they are there they will be moving around.

It is supposed to be raining hard tomorrow morning I am heading into my spot before day break so I am in location at first light.

Also do not give up early in the day they move around all day when it is raining.

Big Lew
11-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Wait till it rains hard then head in if they are there they will be moving around.

It is supposed to be raining hard tomorrow morning I am heading into my spot before day break so I am in location at first light.

Also do not give up early in the day they move around all day when it is raining.
x2! good advise.

~T-BONE~
11-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Persistence and knowing the "spot" is key as well..

VancouverSkiBum
02-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Good thread, would like to hear more. Im also just getting into hunting.

rbest
02-08-2014, 11:01 AM
There is lots of info on here about BT hunting if you search around a bit. Check out Proguide's posts. He is probably one of the most Knowledgeable on this.