PDA

View Full Version : Non-toxic pellet alternatives...

Big Lew
11-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Has anyone any experience with non-toxic pellet alternatives other than steel?
Apparently there are several companies offering products, some even heavier than lead.
One company's product has a combination of tungsten, bronze, and tin which they say
can be safely used in the older shotguns.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
11-27-2013, 08:20 PM
These shells are well worth the money and effort in finding/testing them. They are worth it!

Especially on the longer shots (re: Pass Shooting). Up close, dead is dead and steel is much more frugal. In my honest opinion, these other non-toxic shot types are worth looking into, to be sure. Kent TungstenMatrix will equal the performance of Lead and is safe to use in any firearm that can safely discharge Lead shot due to its unique polymer blend. Some types (such as Hevi-Shot) will exceed the performance of Lead in new Shotguns designed for use with steel/Hevi-Shot.

Either way - Test and pattern that Shotgun! If a long shot for you is an honest 20-30 yards, then steel may well suffice. Farther than that, I consider steel a crippling/wounded loss inducing load. Go up at least 4 shot sizes for steel use. I say #3 for Ducks and BB at the smallest for Geese in steel (BB will work on Ducks, too, naturally).

Big Lew
11-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Some of the more promising products seem to be 'Classic Doubles' and your 'Kent Tungsten Matrix', but are apparently quite expensive. If I can both find and justify their expense, I'll check if their pattern is acceptable before considering modification to my gun to work with the steel shot.

f350ps
11-27-2013, 08:47 PM
In my opinion cost versus effectiveness, it doesn't work for me! Decoy yer birds and the "Blended" will kill just as many. K

Crazy_Farmer
11-27-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd only use classic double in an expensive old gun you wanted to use it. If you don't shoot much the expensive stuff can be worth your while. But if you're hunting birds say 40+ days a season that gets out of reach of pretty much everyone. I've had the same results from 1550fps steel then the others. But I've seen lots of others make great shots and the dead vs cripple ratio is normally better with the higher quality shells.

Ive had had two or three barrels bored out to light modified and had good expierence with it. An old browning A5 I got bored out to LM and it's been great on ducks.

Foxton Gundogs
11-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Yep having the barrel of your old scattergun(unless you are talking Purdy class) modified is the way to go. Like CF says if you are a serious waterfowler you cant afford the alternitaves(at least I can') speed kills(1550+) and if you need to skybust then learn to decoy and call bring them in where they belong that's 1/2 the fun. But if you want to reach out and touch someone a Pattern Master type choke is way more economical than the alternitaves like tungsten especially over a long season

saskbooknut
11-28-2013, 06:36 AM
I have loaded some "Nice" shot and you are still spending about $2 a shell. And you know what, you can still miss with them.
I also have a supply of duck size Tungsten matrix which I bought in a gun show for about $2 a shot. When your shooting is "on" the birds are dead on the spot. Penetration is far superior with either of these choices, in my experience.
If you shoot very much it is much more economical to get a modest gun suitable for shooting steel shot at 60 to 75 cents per shot, and limit the range that you shoot at. My steel shot range is under 25 yards over the decoys. When I try to stretch the range I end up with wounded birds that keep on flying or seem to miss completely.
I have come to waterfowl hunting later in life and do not claim any great ability, but these are my observations while seeing a lot of birds in Saskatchewan field shoots.

Ian F.
11-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Lew whatca shootin? Old is quite a variable term... gun, model and choke really helps with this discussion.

Big Lew
11-28-2013, 08:52 AM
A Remington 1100 semi-auto magnum (3") with a ribbed 30" full choke barrel. It looks like my best direction is to have the barrel modified by extending the 'cone force' and boring out the choke to 'skeet 11' specs as "guntech' advises. Thanks for his, and everyone's response. Replacing the barrel is very expensive.

Foxton Gundogs
11-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Hey Lew, I had a Remington Mod 58 done up the cone done and the choke done to IC it was a great waterfowl gun super deadly over deeks with #3 for ducks and #1s for geese. I think skeet is a bit open for my liking but each their own.

Ian F.
11-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Cones are the single best thing you can do to a shotgun. 1100 are pretty modern, so few worries. May want to look here or gun nutz or do a shout out for a barrel with tubes, you may be surprised what you find on the used market

Dutch
11-28-2013, 10:46 PM
I punched my o/u out (well gunsmith did) to mod. to shoot steel but refuse to do it to my old model 12. The tungsten matrix works just fine in it shooting pheasants even if it is pricey. Have yet to shoot more than a box or 2 for a season.Now ducks and geese diferent game ,use straght steel including 3.5" for the season.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
11-29-2013, 01:24 AM
"Yep having the barrel of your old scattergun(unless you are talking Purdy class) modified is the way to go. Like CF says if you are a serious waterfowler you cant afford the alternitaves(at least I can') speed kills(1550+) and if you need to skybust then learn to decoy and call bring them in where they belong that's 1/2 the fun. But if you want to reach out and touch someone a Pattern Master type choke is way more economical than the alternitaves like tungsten especially over a long season"

No barrel constriction (re:choke tube) can increase the density of shot material. Lack of density is steels problem when it comes to killing. Lack of malleability is its problem when it comes to damaging barrels.

Obviously the choice of shot is a personal issue, to each their own. Absolutely nothing wrong with modifying a Remington 1100 barrel Big Lew. Yet none the less one may as well try a bit of the high-end shot every now and then, too!