PDA

View Full Version : Owl Lake near Pemberton

quaint bucket
11-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Looking to go in this area but I noticed on my backroad mapbook it has the green area (small) surrounding Owl Lake and Owl Lake Chain. I did a google search to find out the regulations for that park and couldn't find anything. I also checked the BC hunting regs online too.

Anyone know anything about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alex
11-27-2013, 07:51 PM
No closures around there. You WILL get into bucks if you get there. I shot two in that area last week. A word of advice, don't shoot at a deer while you're dragging your first out, or at least be ready for a hell of a pack!

Alex

Gilmore
11-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Be ready for wolves as well...lots of them!!

Gateholio
11-27-2013, 08:14 PM
You might be seeing the ATV restricted area on your map. No ATV's allowed in part of that area due to environmental damage. And yeah, the wolves have been working that area pretty good. Well, much of the Pemberton area has been getting worked by wolves, actually!

quaint bucket
11-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Guess I'm packing more slugs and buckshot for those wolves. Thanks for the headsup!!!!

Gateholio
11-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Better hurry if you are deer hunting. Season us almost over. :)

fuzzy 63
11-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi all , this thread takes me back almost twenty years . I was with fellow bowhunting friend hunting stumps and tromping through the woods with a camera and only our bows . We were scouting a area near Carpenter lake and our idea was to see how well predator calls worked in the middle of February . I called for a bit of time as we hoped a coyote might come in to see what was up . About 1\2 hour later I saw movement to my left a little down the draw a two enormous dogs came in view around 50 yards away . I said to my friend that I had never seen yotes that big and the color was wrong being almost grey . They slipped back into the timber as silently as they came in and we felt a bit of success that the pred call worked . It never occurred to us that what we saw was very likely wolves as we were noobs and a bit ignorant that the species could be in the area . After seeing some of the recent threads about wolves I would say twenty years later that is what we saw on that afternoon . Thankfully after some learning curve , I,m glad a cougar did not slide into that draw instead . Hope I don't come across as a thread hijack , but it does make some sense that wolves were there as well .
I,d like a wolf rug one day and it appears that one doesn't
need to go very far to do so .

Pemby_mess
11-27-2013, 08:52 PM
I was on a ridge just under the chain lakes a couple weeks ago ....... Ton of sign from bucks- big tracks, rubs, scat but the most wolf sign I've seen around Pemberton yet. Tracks were everywhere in the snow criss crossing all the ridges up and down. It was unbeleivable.

We were up on an alpine ridge above owl lake last October and there was quite a concentration of sign on the steep south side of one of the passes but none elsewhere. I find it kind of a weird area in that the deer seem to gather really tightly in goups? Could this be because of wolf predation?

Its interesting, because I haven't seen too much wolf sign elsewhere around pemberton this year. Lots on my two trips into the chilcotin though.