PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Trout Rod?

GoodPartner
11-27-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm looking for a small trout rod and reel combo to stick in my backpack for times hiking/hunting that a fishing opportunity presents itself. Something that doesn't take up too much space but is still functional. I've been looking at telescopic rods etc, but it seems hard to know if the products are junky or not. Any positive experiences out there?

Thanks,

BimmerBob
11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Just did a search on Google and this video review looks pretty interesting... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6r39FPN4E

Cheers, Bob

11-27-2013, 11:06 AM
There used to be telascopic rods out there... perfect for a backpack. Dont be thinking they will cast good,,, but they fit in a pack and were pretty damned durable for what they were.

But you would have more fun with a 4 piece Z-Axis #4 ! lol

Beachcomber
11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Are you after a spinning or fly rod? I would avoid telescopic rods as their action and durability is suspect in my view. There are a number of good choices out there for fly rods. I have a Greys Missionary 5 wt which has served me well but I believe is discontinued now. Hardy produces some decent ones too. Their travel rod was known as the Smuggler and I have fished with a friend's. It casts well and packs away nicely. Like any outdoor gear prices can get pretty silly, pretty fast. I'd call around a few shops for opinions/options/prices.

139grainsofhell
11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Are you looking for a fly rod or spin cast ? I carry a four piece fly rod in my pack comes with a tube very light I use the same rods for fishing lakes and streams.havent had much luck with the teloscopic rods owned one didn't last long but I'm sure if a guy spent a little $$ for quality it would be good and get the job done

Philcott
11-27-2013, 11:34 AM
This was a nice combo set up but I don't think it's available any more.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=8157

Aheny
11-27-2013, 12:04 PM
If you havent got into fly fishing yet, this is exactly where fly rods shine. A little 4 piece 5 weight starter kit (cases are perfect for strapping to a pack) doesnt cost all that much and is great for landing stuff in streams, as long as you put in a bit of effort to learn the basics.

I've yet to learn to roll cast or anything else more advanced but it took minimal effort to get to the point where i can pick a fly and gently present it in the right location

Moe.JKU
11-27-2013, 12:21 PM
like others mentioned a little fly rod works great. I use a 4pc #6 but if i was to buy a backpacking rod, i would go #4.

11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Are you after a spinning or fly rod? I would avoid telescopic rods as their action and durability is suspect in my view. There are a number of good choices out there for fly rods. I have a Greys Missionary 5 wt which has served me well but I believe is discontinued now. Hardy produces some decent ones too. Their travel rod was known as the Smuggler and I have fished with a friend's. It casts well and packs away nicely. Like any outdoor gear prices can get pretty silly, pretty fast. I'd call around a few shops for opinions/options/prices.

I was suggesting telescopic for Spinning, as i assumed he was refering to spinning rod. I have had a few of them and they all worked well.... zero sensitivity and low castability but it was one peice and easy to stow. admitted there are some better casters out there but to me "Pack rod" suggests durable and small with a small number of pieces. Telescopic and a cheap reel.

As has been pointed out,, if you are talking Fly.... the world is your oyster... way more options

caddisguy
11-27-2013, 02:17 PM
If you havent got into fly fishing yet, this is exactly where fly rods shine. A little 4 piece 5 weight starter kit (cases are perfect for strapping to a pack) doesnt cost all that much and is great for landing stuff in streams, as long as you put in a bit of effort to learn the basics.

I've yet to learn to roll cast or anything else more advanced but it took minimal effort to get to the point where i can pick a fly and gently present it in the right location

The roll casting is great and a lot of people find it easier than regular casting for distances up to 10 meters or so... just have enough line in, lifting the rod tip up and back until the fly line is mostly out of the water, still skimming in towards you, then push forward similar to how you would normally cast. It doesn't hurt to have a few feet of line still in the water. With the drag, more forward momentum is needed for the cast to go out, but the payoff is nice long straight cast.

When I take people out flyfishing the first time, I always get them roll casting first because they pick it up easier, don't have to master stripping line and timing to be efficient, wind and bushes are less of an issue... and most importantly they can focus on wading, getting a feel for the flyrod and getting into some fish. After a day of roll casting, they pick up regular casting with less frustration and they can already catch fish, so the pressure is off. I do a lot of roll casting as I have bush 2 feet behind me on some of my favorite stretches of river.

For the OP (GoodPartner) as others have mentioned, a 8'/9' 4pc 5/6wt with a nice would suit your needs. There are some combos you can pick up for pretty cheap at around $120-$150. I think Scientific Anglers has some sets out that include rod/reel/line/carrying-case for a low price. I saw them at Wholesale a while back. IMHO you can spend $400 and get something slightly better, but the difference is negligible.

11-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Wonder if it is a fly rod at all he wants?

Caddis Guy, Roll casting is a super handy cast as well hey, river fishing with no room at your back. you can be deadly working down river tight to the bank roll casting and mending... fish super short and walk as careful as you can.... the walking almost chums the fish in,,,, its almost not fair!

steel_ram
11-27-2013, 03:01 PM
What ever happened to the "Pocket Fisherman"? Now there was an awesome piece of kit!

adriaticum
11-27-2013, 03:02 PM
I saw Canadian tire started to sell these telescopic rods. They are pretty convenient.

Wile E
11-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I think we over complicate things.

I went to the garage, found a kids rod that I bought for my boy a few years back, strapped it to my pack and hit the road. I use a spent pill bottle for tackle. Extravagant I know....

The rod and reel combo cost me $14, I remember buying it from CanTire. It's two piece, 5' OAL, with a covered spincast reel. Makes a 1/2 lb fish feel like 10 lb.

11-27-2013, 03:13 PM
I think we over complicate things.

I went to the garage, found a kids rod that I bought for my boy a few years back, strapped it to my pack and hit the road. I use a spent pill bottle for tackle. Extravagant I know....

The rod and reel combo cost me $14, I remember buying it from CanTire. It's two piece, 5' OAL, with a covered spincast reel. Makes a 1/2 lb fish feel like 10 lb.

lol you arent really in to fishing are you?
just funnin'

DLP
11-27-2013, 03:39 PM
i have a 7 piece redington 3 wt that packs down so small it is hardly noticeable - lifetime warranty. i even fly with it and carry a small lw reel and one box of flies, 3 weights of tippet with a WF floating line.

telescopic rods, unless a Gatti, are not made how they once were. Even a free one isnt worth it. if you can find an old, and i mean 25+yrs old telescopic then you are better off.

Kudu
11-27-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm looking for a small trout rod and reel combo to stick in my backpack for times hiking/hunting that a fishing opportunity presents itself. Something that doesn't take up too much space but is still functional. I've been looking at telescopic rods etc, but it seems hard to know if the products are junky or not. Any positive experiences out there?

Thanks,

TFO makes a 6' 2wt or a Orvis Clearwater 2-weight 6' - add a J Austin Forbes Magnesium fly reel and you will have a nice little wand to wave at fish in little creeks and streams.

Wile E
11-27-2013, 03:50 PM
lol you arent really in to fishing are you?
just funnin'

No not so much.
I've had or have 3 boats, I'm down to 27 rod n reel combos, could supply a tackle shop with anything, I keep a spare downrigger on the shelf, Scotty sales reps know me by wallet, I mean name. I've always got gear in the truck, etc......

I only suggest that simple is sometimes best.

And don't be funnin me bout fishing, it be serious shyt don't ya know. :)

11-27-2013, 04:02 PM
No not so much.
I've had or have 3 boats, I'm down to 27 rod n reel combos, could supply a tackle shop with anything, I keep a spare downrigger on the shelf, Scotty sales reps know me by wallet, I mean name. I've always got gear in the truck, etc......

I only suggest that simple is sometimes best.

And don't be funnin me bout fishing, it be serious shyt don't ya know. :)

lol nice response!
i call that "Going Retro!" J44R Glow style on a Red Hot Spot.

unstableryan
11-27-2013, 04:05 PM
The 5 piece Shakespeare I got from Canadian tire has been well used and I like it. Comes in a blue foam case.

GoodPartner
11-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I should have said spin caster in the original post but I appreciate the fly information too. If this is like everything else to do with the outdoors I imagine it is only a matter of time before I get obsessed with fly fishing too (I've never tried it to date). I was on a hunt a few weekends ago in a pretty remote area and caught some nice trout. My buddy had a telescopic spin caster and it just seemed way more practical than me getting my 2 piece snagged up on every other branch. I figure it would be something good to have in my backpack at all times from now on. Doesn't have to be a telescopic, I'm just curious what works for you guys out there. Good stuff.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

caddisguy
11-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Wonder if it is a fly rod at all he wants?

Caddis Guy, Roll casting is a super handy cast as well hey, river fishing with no room at your back. you can be deadly working down river tight to the bank roll casting and mending... fish super short and walk as careful as you can.... the walking almost chums the fish in,,,, its almost not fair!

Good point. Turns out it's a spincasting set he's after. Heck for lakes, fishing from shore I'd prefer the spinning rod set more time than not. Weight, worm, throw the line down, prop against tree, get the line tight, throw a bear bell on top, crack a beer and let it do the work. I'm on my second 4 piece backpack spincast set. I just bought whatever was cheap and met the specs for my preferences. First one only broke because I was doing something very silly with it.

835 I can't agree more! those roll casts have caught me hundreds of rainbows. I'll keep mending it and sideways walking with it... letting the river push me a little too... make the cast last a minute and a long stretch of water if I can! Roll cast + stealthy sideways creepin = trout galore.

jtred
11-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I use an inexpensive telescopic spincaster, it's seen a few backpack trips now and one extended pack trip. It has stood up pretty good so far and has caught a number of excellent meals of cutthroat. Twenty dollars at Canadian Tire and any number of other stores. Even came with a handy little tackle box. Works great and if I break it or lose it I won't lose any sleep. I would like to get a nice 4-piece fly rod/reel, my 2-piece is too long but for now the little spincaster is doing just fine.

11-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Good partner.

The big difference between a telescopic and a 4pc is ....... And this is why big rod builders have gone with a multi piece over the telescopic.
The ferruls, the place where each section of rod is inserted into the next. With a multi piecs you can build them so that you dont loose much sensitivity. But with telescopic that is impossible.

Now if you buy a 4pc you will need to worry about two things and gain two. First as you cast the rod can seporate at any of the joints so you will need to constantly check them to see they are fully in. Two, you need o worry about loosing pieces.. But you gain cast ability and sensitivity.
If you go telescopic you loose castability and sensitivity but gain Durability and cost.

I would not cheap out on a 4pc, by this i dont mean buy the best... but i do mean dont buy the cheapest either. Ferruls can be a hassle if they are not constructed well... If you want low cost get a telescopic.
If you go

BRvalley
11-28-2013, 09:51 AM
shimano has a decent travel rod, about 110$, they carry it at fred's custom tackle....shimano's European catalogue has a lot more trout geared rod offerings, and most shimano dealers can get you the euro/japan products if you ask, if not find them on ebay

it's called the 'exage' model, comes in telescopic and a 5 or 6 piece model and the telescopic model is actually not that bad, much better than the cheapy eagle claw, southbend, etc models at crappy tire...but no telescopic model will ever be as sensitive as a 1 piece rod, or multi piece rod with proper ferrules

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/36830/shimano-exage-telescopic-mini-spinning-rod

can't find the multi piece exage travel rod, but I have seen them at wholesale and cdn tire before....st Croix has a good model as well, triumph travel spinning rod, also a bit over 100$ in canada.....these would be the best factory models I've come across

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/triumph

how much is your budget?

If you have up to about 300$ to spend, I'd suggest finding a rod builder to make something for you, you have complete control over components and the craftsmanship will beat nearly any factory rod out there (until you start building rods, you truly don't realize that even the $700 loomis nrx's factory rods are built to crap standards, crap wrap jobs, poor epoxy finish, reel seats not properly secured, guides not spined, etc)

I had a custom 4 piece pack rod built off a fast action st Croix fly rod blank, titanium recoil guides....paired with a sustain 1000 it's my ultimate mountain biking backpack rod to throw trout spinners or jigs all day...but also very expensive lol

Cami
11-28-2013, 06:14 PM
You could try a tenkara rod.
cheap and a lot of fun on trout.
http://tenkarausa.com/
that's what i have with me all the time and i made my self a floating line for dries. Best part you will have to run after a 20" trout like you would after a steelhead.

Sofa King
11-28-2013, 06:54 PM
pocket-fisherman.
http://www.solar-storm-warning.com/clipart/Bug%20Out%20-%20In%20Images/Pocket%20Fisherman.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=_lGpgsUS22NIoM&tbnid=eihYE2sfsUr5bM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solar-storm-warning.com%2Fsolar_storm_survival_guide_informati on.html&ei=r_OXUu_HFaeciAKg0IC4Bg&bvm=bv.57155469,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNHV9wzEQM2ooTj6wTTVMe6GgdU5yA&ust=1385776404092179)

Beachcomber
12-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Just noticed a nice looking pack rod on the latest BCO Sportfishing mag: Daiwa Saltiga G Boat Travel Rod. MSRP $250. Looks decent, good build but not cheap! www.daiwa.com

buckhunter
12-02-2013, 12:38 PM
i used telescopic rods for years. worked great and fits nice in the backpack. only problem i had were the eyes becoming loose, but a little glue fixed that.

Iron Glove
12-05-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm a bit late adding my $.02 but a few years back I bought a Quantum XL 5 piece 5 ft. Graphite with a Shakespeare Ultra Spin. A real ultra light pack outfit, great for back packing, ATV rides or tossing in the boat for shore excursions.
Tosses small spinners well on 2 lb. line and have caught everything from 8" Trout in the River behind us to 4 lb. "coarse fish" in the Lake.
Think I ordered it on line from Cabellas.