PDA

View Full Version : wolves near merritt

bear17
11-26-2013, 10:31 PM
hi there just a short story we were hunting moose and we got a moose on the frog near merritt bc.. Near helmer cause we were skinnin and gutting our moose and we heard barking around us, until we heard wolves howling below us from the other side of the tree line ... wow what an exsperince we dropped the moose about 3;45 pm and started working and by that time we heard the wolves it was pitch black out.... if any questions email nike_1_7@hotmail.com

The Dawg
11-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Hey Bear,

We love stuff like this!

Rob
11-26-2013, 11:01 PM
You from here?

chilcotin hillbilly
11-26-2013, 11:21 PM
There has been wolves in Merrit for as long as i can remember at least 20 years, no surprise there.

Rob
11-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Lived here for 14 yrs. Havent seen one yet, did see some tracks about 1 week ago, hear rumors the last couple yrs but not from anyone I really know well.

mungojeerie
11-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Saw a wolf just north of Merrit as in almost right before town this past oct. Driving at night on my way down from Logan Lake and there it was paused at the side of the road until I was almost on it then it bolted.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-27-2013, 09:43 AM
My taxi took in a gronk wolf that a rancher shot a couple of years ago. He whacked a couple but was losing the battle to protect his cattle.

SSS

adriaticum
11-27-2013, 09:59 AM
My taxi took in a gronk wolf that a rancher shot a couple of years ago. He whacked a couple but was losing the battle to protect his cattle.

SSS

Is there are list of ranchers that have problems with wolves somewhere? Beside the hunterlandonwerlink.com. (there is nothing on this site I found)
If we compile a list of ranchers in certain areas we could drop off flyers door to door with a point of contact.
Make it real easy for landowners to call someone and let them hunt their property for wolves.
Farmers are always busy and they don't have the time to think about this too much.
Have somebody in Merritt as a point of contact who can then call on hunters to go out and do the job.
I'd be prepared to drive up to Merritt and help distribute the flyers. Heck, I'll make the flyers.

lookclosely
11-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I'd be prepared to drive up to Merritt and help distribute the flyers. Heck, I'll make the flyers.

Sounds good. Make those flyers and let us know when they're done.

The Dawg
11-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Is there are list of ranchers that have problems with wolves somewhere? Beside the hunterlandonwerlink.com. (there is nothing on this site I found)
If we compile a list of ranchers in certain areas we could drop off flyers door to door with a point of contact.
Make it real easy for landowners to call someone and let them hunt their property for wolves.
Farmers are always busy and they don't have the time to think about this too much.
Have somebody in Merritt as a point of contact who can then call on hunters to go out and do the job.

We are partnered up with the Cattlemans association at Wolftracker, and are presently putting together a list of ranchers that are interested.

adriaticum
11-27-2013, 12:49 PM
We are partnered up with the Cattlemans association at Wolftracker, and are presently putting together a list of ranchers that are interested.

Good, and don't look only for interested ones. Look for all of them and give them information. So when they become interested they know who to call.
I think that's a good idea. Get a list of farmers with livestock and we can give them information what to do if they ever have a problem with wolves. Make it real easy.
Yeah they can call BCWF probably but if you give them someone local who lives in their area, they are more likely to call them I think.
It doesn't have to be complicated just "if you have problem with wolves or you see them around and would like someone to take care of the problem, call Joe the plumber at 555-1212 or email ....".
You can have one for each region or MU where wolves are prevalent.
Could be a pamphlet, a business card style print. Very simple, nutin fancy.

HarryToolips
11-27-2013, 02:07 PM
They were howling all around me near Cameo Lake up Bear main at the end of september...

swampdonkey
11-27-2013, 02:18 PM
hi there just a short story we were hunting moose and we got a moose on the frog near merritt bc.. Near helmer cause we were skinnin and gutting our moose and we heard barking around us, until we heard wolves howling below us from the other side of the tree line ... wow what an exsperince we dropped the moose about 3;45 pm and started working and by that time we heard the wolves it was pitch black out.... if any questions email nike_1_7@hotmail.com let's hear story and see pics of moose

The Dawg
11-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Part of being partnered with them, is we get little blurbs in their quarterly publication.

In there,'it has contact info for us.

We have been contacted by a couple and have been asked if we can send out hunters and trappers if need be.

Helps to be a wolftracker member so we know who to send when the time comes.

twanger
11-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Dawg are you a Mod at Wolftracker, I have been waiting for my password to join.
Twanger

quaint bucket
11-27-2013, 04:06 PM
for some reason wolftracker.ca isn't working right. i registered and it keeps saying my password is wrong...?

The Dawg
11-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Dawg are you a Mod at Wolftracker, I have been waiting for my password to join.
Twanger

I am

If you are not approved immediately, Its either because you didn't send a email with a 'hey, this is who I am and this is my username'

Or I don't recognize your sign up name.

The Dawg
11-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Quant, you are approved now.

Twanger- I don't see you registered as that name

twanger
11-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Dawg, will try and re-register.
Twanger

Sofa King
11-27-2013, 06:57 PM
They were howling all around me near Cameo Lake up Bear main at the end of september...

I've been hunting/fishing/hiking that area since the early 90's and have never even seen a track.
although, it's a whole different country up there nowadays.

Sofa King
11-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Lived here for 14 yrs. Havent seen one yet, did see some tracks about 1 week ago, hear rumors the last couple yrs but not from anyone I really know well.

I saw my first track last year a ways north of merritt.
it's still the only track i've seen in the area.
seen them up stump way though.

swampdonkey
11-27-2013, 07:07 PM
One of the cabin owners at Peterhope that I know, has a pic of a wolf on the lake from last winter

shelg
11-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Friend of mine shot one on Swakum Mountain last year.

quaint bucket
11-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks dawg

*bcgold*
11-27-2013, 10:13 PM
One of the cabin owners at Peterhope that I know, has a pic of a wolf on the lake from last winter

When we had a family cabin at Glimpse Lake, I would see wolves on the power lines between Peterhope and Glimpse. Everytime I see them never had my rifle.

Steeleco
11-28-2013, 08:17 PM
There's no shortage of wolves north of the Vaught valley road. Seen three in there in the past while.

Rob
11-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Well If i don't get a whitetail this year I can always blame the wolves.:)

HarryToolips
11-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I've been hunting/fishing/hiking that area since the early 90's and have never even seen a track.
although, it's a whole different country up there nowadays.
Sure as hell wasn't coyotes..and I heard em last year up near reservior lake as well