PDA

View Full Version : Late Archery Season... SOON!

IronNoggin
11-26-2013, 08:20 PM
As in but a matter of a couple of days before I load the truck and RUN! :twisted:
Picking up a Buddy in Van, then an idle up the Coq before turning off towards Kelowna. There, and all points of the compass thereafter under consideration once again...

Had a Fine Blacktail Season (and depending upon just how this run goes, might entertain just a little more...) here on The Rock. Many many days in Hot Pursuit, and once again Learned and Enjoyed LOTS!
A couple interesting things to report, but being so Damn Busy just now, that will have to await my return from points beyond the Uber-Expensive ferry rides... :icon_frow

I am MUCH Looking Forward to hooking up with my main Bow Hunting Partner for another foray out his way. We've been quite successful over the years out there, and I am indeed Hoping the Hunt Goddess so favors us once again...

Not looking for spots so much (although if anyone wants to share the exact known location of a Biggie I would of course entertain the idea of a slight diversion to our regular program :wink:) but rather conditions of late.

Will be packing the chains, truck tuned right up and the tires are in great shape for the run. Whites, warm clothing and spares for all the equipment are standard.

Would appreciate an idea of what to expect as far as snow elevation and depth, and perhaps if anyone is still seeing any sign of rut activity (chiefly passed here now) in the general area...

Two Days and counting! Getting downright Tough to sleep at nights once again (almost like Opening Day all over again! LOL!)

If the Stars align, might actually have a moment for a visit with one or two that have mentioned such a possibility in the past.
PM if you want to hook up while I'm over, and I'll see what can be done...

Mainland Sharp Stick Patrol # 4 (or is it 5 now :confused: SomeTimers is such a Biotch! LOL!) about to Commence!!
Here's HOPING!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

albravo2
11-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Have a fantastic trip. Good luck.

keoke
11-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Jealous! Want to pick me up on the way? Lol

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Heard there weren't any white-tailed deer or mulw deer in Region 8 anymore???

Somehow we found quite a few wt bucks out and about. Seem to be cruising during daylight hours. Had a doe in heat go through on the 17th, calling, pissing and a few fawns waiting for mom to get back from her galavanting last week.

Intermittent snow up to 3000', pretty continuous after that. Cold and crunchy last week.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Much needed fresh snow on the way for the weekend. What's left is super crunchy.

SSS

TheProvider
11-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a great trip. You need a good archery buddy to pick up on the island to help with the ferry fees!

kennyj
11-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Have a fun trip Nog. I hope you get ''the big one''. Looking forward to end of season report.
kenny

Jim Prawn
11-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Good luck Nog, hope you skewer a big one. Hurry back, looking forward to the recap of your BT season.
JP

doubled
11-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Nog, we will be cutting meat on Saturday in the shop if you are looking for a watering hole.

coach
11-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Nog, we will be cutting meat on Saturday in the shop if you are looking for a watering hole.

Did we all miss something or did you buy a side of beef? No pics? No story? What gives? :-D

Best of luck on your hunt, 'Nog. Some fresh snow would make things much better for stalking. Sounds like we may get some this weekend.

Sleep Robber
11-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Sent you a pm Matt. :wink:

IronNoggin
11-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Heard there weren't any white-tailed deer or mulw deer in Region 8 anymore???

Ed Zachery why I go there!
After Blacktails, their numbers need to be somewhat depressed in order to offer up something akin to a serious challenge http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Just KIDDING Obviously! :roll:

Fervently Hoping that the sky hasn't completely fallen yet, and that at least one can be somehow convinced to screw up just a little worse than me...

Nice to hear of the sightings you had! Perhaps there are a few left there after all http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/Idunno.gif

Much needed fresh snow on the way for the weekend.

Excellent News Steve! Hope a fair bit arrives!

Thanks for the Well Wishes and the pm's Gentz! Right Appreciated & Getting me Stoked!! :-D
Nog

doubled
11-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Haha Coach,

This year will be covered in a short video. Our group has been fairly successful but nothing to make a guy drop everything and come here to write up a quick one pager.

Still waiting for the Creston trip before I finish.

Nog, PM returned bro.

Did we all miss something or did you buy a side of beef? No pics? No story? What gives? :-D

Best of luck on your hunt, 'Nog. Some fresh snow would make things much better for stalking. Sounds like we may get some this weekend.

gutpile
11-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Rock Creek for me Dec 9-13 with bow anyone want to meet up i will
be at Kettle bench camp site.

IronNoggin
11-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Rock Creek for me Dec 9-13 with bow anyone want to meet up i will
be at Kettle bench camp site.

Kinda Hoping I ain't still around by then! But if so...

Accidentally threw a bit of a wrench into my plans yesterday... http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?101910-Call-Me-Crazy&p=1423328#post1423328
Damn FOG has rolled into the Valley so THICK you can't see across the street :cry:
Gonna give it an hour and drag the bow out for a shoot regardless. Hope it Lifts!!

Thanks for all the PM's and Well Wishes Folks!
Gearing up today and running Early tomorrow.

Here's Hoping we can manage to find one of the few remaining whitetails (or Mulies) in the Zone where they seem to have disappeared...

Cheers,
Nog

GoatGuy
11-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Valley fog and inversions are common this time of year. Go up or go down and you'll get to hunt. Just beware below it the wind is usually blowing up hill and swirling in the cloud due to the characteristics of an inversion.

All of the municipalities and the RDCO has GIS software that identifies private property and crown land...... not so subtle hint.

coach
11-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Valley fog and inversions are common this time of year. Go up or go down and you'll get to hunt. Just beware below it the wind is usually blowing up hill and swirling in the cloud due to the characteristics of an inversion.

All of the municipalities and the RDCO has GIS software that identifies private property and crown land...... not so subtle hint.

You don't have to go very high to get above the fog. It's beautiful up there. Crunchy snow may be cause for different tactics, however.

IronNoggin
11-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Yup, been here long enough to understand how that works. Have a Fine Spot I'm thinking of that should hopefully put me above the ground clouds... NOT "hunting" today, rather simply re-sighting in the bow... :wink:

Not certain what you are referring to here :confused:
I WELL know the areas on The Rock where I hunt, and that does include both Public and Private (with permission of course) lands.
And when over on the mainland for this late hunt, I rely Heavily on my Partner's rather extensive knowledge of the areas we wander. He's been at that for over two decades so we don't simply wander willy-nilly in search of places to hunt...
Extremely little chance of us accidentally wandering onto private property in either case...

Cheers,
Nog

GoatGuy
11-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Yup, been here long enough to understand how that works. Have a Fine Spot I'm thinking of that should hopefully put me above the ground clouds... NOT "hunting" today, rather simply re-sighting in the bow... :wink:

Not certain what you are referring to here :confused:
I WELL know the areas on The Rock where I hunt, and that does include both Public and Private (with permission of course) lands.
And when over on the mainland for this late hunt, I rely Heavily on my Partner's rather extensive knowledge of the areas we wander. He's been at that for over two decades so we don't simply wander willy-nilly in search of places to hunt...
Extremely little chance of us accidentally wandering onto private property in either case...

Cheers,
Nog

Some of the best hunting, particularly bowhunting, can be found on those GIS applications - IMAPBC is another good one. Never know where there's a large tract of 'public land' surrounded by private land that is white-tail heaven that no one hunts cause they don't think they can.:wink:

Good luck!

IronNoggin
11-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Some of the best hunting, particularly bowhunting, can be found on those GIS applications - IMAPBC is another good one. Never know where there's a large tract of 'public land' surrounded by private land that is white-tail heaven that no one hunts cause they don't think they can.:wink:

AHHHH! Now I understand!! GREAT Advise! And something I WILL look into!
Had a very Special place just like that for Mulies not all that far from Kamloops for a spell. It was Magical! :wink:
Definite Food For Thought!

Thanks GoatGuy! Appreciated!! :-D

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
11-29-2013, 08:05 AM
And... GONE! :-D

Catch Y'all on the Flipside...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
KeRist! Damn TOUGH Slogging!! The snow is so bloody Crunchy as to make stalking within bow range all but impossible, and the cold has made sitting a Right PAINFUL proposition within short order! Multiple sightings, but no Joy thus far... One week in and working it HARD!
With but a couple days left, we're certainly praying this year's show isn't a Bust! :icon_frow

Just back in to warm up a spell, then right back at it...

Worried & COLD! :?
Nog

Philcott
12-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Keep at it Matt. Hopefully you get to fling an arrow soon.

Double up the long johns.

IronNoggin
12-09-2013, 12:42 PM
... Double up the long johns.

Even Tripling them might not have been enough http://the-marvelous-miscreant-s-multiverse-forum.2286540.n4.nabble.com/file/n3711106/th_smiley_emoticons_cold.gif

Well we worked it Harder than we ever have, and finally made the painful decision that it simply wasn't in the cards for this season (for me anyway...). Traveled farther, put more miles on the boots & truck than ever before, worked the hell out of our usual areas, but the sightings alone were substantially less than we have ever witnessed before this season. I am certain the weather played some role in that, but even well off-the-road honey holes were damn near void of tracks. First time ever coming home empty handed from this hunt, and it certainly felt "Strange" to do so... :cry:

Sheer Stubbornness carried us on even when the weather strongly indicated a well organized retreat was likely in more order.
But a Man has to recognize when to admit defeat, and as painful as it was, that recognition finally set in...

Saw a decent showing of Mulies & Elk, but whitetails were more elusive than we have ever found them to be, and damn Spooked whenever we did encounter them. Lots of Great Camaraderie, and over all we did have a Hell of a lot of Fun!
Despite this year's lack of success, I WILL be back next season to see if I can make amends...

My Partner is still working it of course, and I wish him All The Best in that pursuit! A little Luck and a Weather Change would help out a Lot Buddy, and I sincerely Hope that heads your way soon...

The ride home was "interesting" through the Connector and down the Coq. Happy I didn't wait any longer to wander that particular trail! :shock:

Happy there is a moose and a blacktail for winter grits at least! :wink:

Back Home, and now contemplating the last day for blacktails...

Frostbitten & Frustrated...
Nog

Stéphane
12-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Sorry to hear that, Nog. I'm leaving this Thursday for a short 4-day hunt. When I called this weekend to check, the guy told me it -27˙C. OMG, you got it tough guys. I cannot imagine spending any kind of time in a tree stand at that temperature.
I just bought 4 brand new snow tires and I am still hoping the weather will cooperate more than it did for you.

Thanks for the update an the best of luck with BT!

doubled
12-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Too bad it didn't work out. My buddy got a nice little three point with his pointy stick on Sunday.

oldSchool
12-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Bad news Nog, but better than mine. I was all set to head out looking for whitetails east of Penticton for a week of bow hunting, until a truck in downtown Victoria decided he wanted my lane too!! I had to cancel the trip while ICBC did their thing, now I will have to carry over a few days holiday for next year, I was kind of looking forward to that nasty cold weather until I read some of your posts. Oh well there is always early season archery t I guess. That is going to be long, long wait. The bass fishing will have to get me through till then.