PDA

View Full Version : Steel shot through full choke

chillyjar
11-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi

I was handed down an Ithaca model 37 featherlight, fixed full choke and was hoping to do some fowl hunting with it. I have been told that steel shot through a full choke can cause damage to the barrel and/or me. Is this true or can you use smaller shot? Can the barrel get reamed for steel shot? What is the best solution?

Thanks

swamper
11-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Be kind to that Model 37 and stay away from steel shot. You might get away with it for a bit, but chances are really good that you will do serious damage the barrel. Steel shot does not swag (change shape) or compress like lead does and can split the barrel end. Most steel shooter that I have hunted with will not use anything tighter than a modified choke. I own a 37 featherweight and even on a full choke the metal on the barrel is pretty thin and the choke end.

Fella
11-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Those ithacas are nice. Save it for trap and upland so you don't have to use steel shot.

chillyjar
11-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks

Guess ill have to find another one and save this one for upland. Any suggestions that won't break the bank!

Foxton Gundogs
11-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Spend the $80 ish and have it reamed out to shoot steel, I have had a number of older guns modified to shoot steel. Field Marshal shoots a Model 12 full choke with steel. It's not a big deal. Modify the old gem and use it you won't be sorry and it "won't break the bank". PM me if you would like to know where I get mine done.

goatdancer
11-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Spend the $80 ish and have it reamed out to shoot steel, I have had a number of older guns modified to shoot steel. Field Marshal shoots a Model 12 full choke with steel. It's not a big deal. Modify the old gem and use it you won't be sorry and it "won't break the bank". PM me if you would like to know where I get mine done.

Yep. Had my 37 done a few years ago to hunt geese in Alberta. Worked really well.

Gumsehwah
11-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know if this would work for the old cooey single shots?

FirePower
11-27-2013, 05:46 PM
It should work for all modern shotguns.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
11-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Of course, one could use Bismuth shot or even Kent TungstenMatrix for Waterfowl and avoid any modifications to a fine older firearm. There are other forms of non - toxic shot that are much better than steel yet not as hard as pure Tungsten alternatives to steel.

I recommend doing a search via your favourite internet search engine, here on HuntingBC and/or any other comparable forum. This is one of the most frequently asked questions concerning Shotguns.

Foxton Gundogs
11-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Trouble is a couple of boxes of shells are worth more than the conversion

11-27-2013, 08:19 PM
They work better and are safer. Yet yes, much more expensive... At least it teches one to be much more selective with the shots they take and deters Skybusting. A fine thing to instill indeed and yet another advantage of the high-dollar shells. Yet up close dead is dead and you have done this conversion with high qaulity and safe results. It is ultimately up to the individual to decide what is best for them and their gun.

Either way folks - Pattern that shotgun and test the shells you will use!

I am certain Foxton Gun Dogs and myself are in full concurance concerning the beneftis of patterning a Shotgun.

guntech
11-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi

I was handed down an Ithaca model 37 featherlight, fixed full choke and was hoping to do some fowl hunting with it. I have been told that steel shot through a full choke can cause damage to the barrel and/or me. Is this true or can you use smaller shot? Can the barrel get reamed for steel shot? What is the best solution?

Thanks

I must have posted this a dozen times this year...

SHOTGUN BARREL ALTERATIONS FOR STEEL SHOT

Forcing Cone Alteration:

Factory shotgun barrels usually have a fairly short and abrupt forcing cone. The forcing cone is the tapered area just ahead of the chamber where the shell is contained. Altering the forcing cone, so it is one and one half or two inches in length, reduces recoil and improves the pattern density. Trap shooters and skeet shooters have been doing this for many years. It is a good benefit to the steel shot user as well.

Choke Alteration:
Choke designation from the tightest to the most open are:
Extra Full, Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Skeet II, Improved Cylinder, Skeet I, and Cylinder Bore.

Steel shot does not require the constriction that lead shot needs, to produce good patterns. In fact too much constriction, causes poor, erratic patterns, and in some cases, permanently damages the barrel. I have seen barrels bulged at the choke, I have seen barrels where the choke split right open, from using steel shot.

For steel shot, with thin barrels, chokes should be altered to at least Skeet II. Often, over & under, and side-by-side shotguns, are best altered to Skeet I and Skeet II chokes. Heavier barrels can be left at Modified choke but may see an improvement in the pattern if opened slightly.

Gumsehwah
11-28-2013, 06:56 PM
. . . and good luck finding it in 16 gauge. :-/

Gumsehwah
11-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Er, I was talking about alternatives to steel shot.

11-29-2013, 02:14 AM
". . . and good luck finding it in 16 gauge. :-/"

This same issue applies and could easily be said about finding any cartridges in 16G! Of course, the finest solution to rarer gauge ammunition sourcing is to take up handloading. This can also slightly reduce the high price negative of the superior non-iron (aka steel) shot materials.

Foxton Gundogs
11-29-2013, 09:33 AM
They work better and are safer. Yet yes, much more expensive... At least it teches one to be much more selective with the shots they take and deters Skybusting. A fine thing to instill indeed and yet another advantage of the high-dollar shells. Yet up close dead is dead and you have done this conversion with high qaulity and safe results. It is ultimately up to the individual to decide what is best for them and their gun.

Either way folks - Pattern that shotgun and test the shells you will use!

I am certain Foxton Gun Dogs and myself are in full concurance concerning the beneftis of patterning a Shotgun.

I totally agree with that. And for the record Id love to be able to use some form of "heavy shot" I am a product of the lead days and can see the damage steel does in lost birds. But when you shoot waterfowl 3-5 days a week the cost just wont permit it. Still buying 6/49s though so maybe one day:mrgreen:

11-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes Sir,

That is a great amount of time afeild. One may require a Lotto Max grand prize win for several seasons of such high-volume Hunting... Especially considering BC's generous Waterfowl seasons. Even I am willing to use steel at times and may well be likely to do so if able to Hunt Waterfowl to a 3-5 days per week extent... Of course I do have a Lotto Max ticket myself and shall check it tomorrow. Perhaps it will be nothing but the best from here on out!

If bought in bulk or Handloaded, the costs can be decreased considerably on the pricey shot materials. I recall seeing decent prices on a case out of a famous shop in McAdam, NB. Obviously less shooting means less expense and most whom get out something along the lines of 3-5 days per month (or even per season) can readily afford the good stuff.

If I may ask, how many non-toxic cartridges do you expend per year?
If you do not wish to publicly disclose this information, feel free to answer via private message. A response would be much appreciated as this would enable me to estimate a shell budget for myself should my Waterfowl exploits increase to such an extent.

250 sav
11-29-2013, 11:26 PM
I've found 16 gauge steel both times I looked for it, and c/t always has # 6 lead for 16's, finding ammo isn't a big deal

rides bike to work
11-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Chillyjar ehhhhhh

Foxton Gundogs
11-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Yes Sir,

That is a great amount of time afeild. One may require a Lotto Max grand prize win for several seasons of such high-volume Hunting... Especially considering BC's generous Waterfowl seasons. Even I am willing to use steel at times and may well be likely to do so if able to Hunt Waterfowl to a 3-5 days per week extent... Of course I do have a Lotto Max ticket myself and shall check it tomorrow. Perhaps it will be nothing but the best from here on out!

If bought in bulk or Handloaded, the costs can be decreased considerably on the pricey shot materials. I recall seeing decent prices on a case out of a famous shop in McAdam, NB. Obviously less shooting means less expense and most whom get out something along the lines of 3-5 days per month (or even per season) can readily afford the good stuff.

If I may ask, how many non-toxic cartridges do you expend per year?
If you do not wish to publicly disclose this information, feel free to answer via private message. A response would be much appreciated as this would enable me to estimate a shell budget for myself should my Waterfowl exploits increase to such an extent.

One of the hardships of training gundogs, but I endeavor to persevere lol

Gumsehwah
12-10-2013, 10:47 AM
". . . and good luck finding it in 16 gauge. :-/"

This same issue applies and could easily be said about finding any cartridges in 16G! Of course, the finest solution to rarer gauge ammunition sourcing is to take up handloading. This can also slightly reduce the high price negative of the superior non-iron (aka steel) shot materials.

IF a guy were to handload 16 gauge ammunition, where would he find the components?

All I can find is 12 or 20 gauge components, and only lead shot.

As for availability of factory shells, I'm able to find steel and grouse calibre rounds. . .