PDA

View Full Version : Miss fire!

jaeger
11-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Last Saturday my buddy and I decided to go out and see if we can find ourselves a Whitetail Buck.
I knew a nice area where i shot a doe last year and also new it held some bucks as well.My buddy was setting up on nice knoll overlooking some clearings as well as an old logging road.

I decided to go and do some bushwhacking through snow up to my knees deep! I found some fresh tracks with the odd drop of blood in it thinking it being a doe in estrous.

I thought there has got to be a buck hanging around so I kept going as slow as I could grunting and using my doe in estrous bleat occasionally without any luck.!:icon_frow

3 hours later i made it on to the logging road again and radioed my buddy to say I was back out on the road to come and pick me up and try another area.

Just as i was turning off the radio I saw 2 whitetail does crossing in front of me about 60 yards out. So I thought with the rut in full swing maybe a buck will follow and decided to get off the road and hide behind a tree and do some grunting and bleeting! Nothing ventured nothing gained was my philosophy! Low and behold a truck came driving up the road and went by me,
I nodded to the passenger in the truck that kind of looked at me like WTF are you doing behind that tree? Any ways they kept going and I thought to myself might as well stay put buddy is gonna come and pick me up shortly who knows what can happen in the mean time.

I did another sequence of grunts and bleats and waited and watched as suddenly a 3 point Whitetail buck materialized from the opposite side that the does were crossing to.
His nose to the ground sniffing like there is no tomorrow! I had to look again just to make sure I was not dreaming. I raised the rifle made sure no one was coming up or down the inactive road
lined up behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger! All I got was a bang that sounded like a cap gun with no recoil whatsoever! the buck twitched when the shot went off and stood for a second as I reloaded then hoofed it off in the trees without giving me another shot. So i went looking where he stood to see if there was any blood hair guts any sign of a hit and there was not even a hair in the fresh snow! I followed the track for about half an hour to see if there was any sign of slowing or any blood at this time nothing at all.

I opened up the chamber took the life round and and removed the bolt and looked down the barrel nothing in the barrel and the shell was empty that I fired at the buck. Did this ever happened to anyone else? I was using factory Remington Corelokt ammo 30-06 160gr.

log_roller
11-26-2013, 12:13 AM
probably should have inspected the chamber before you reloaded for another shot. if the bullet was still in the barrel you could have ****ed yourself up

Robinhood
11-26-2013, 02:10 AM
I don't want to insult your intelligence or experience, but I know that when I shoot at game I rarely feel recoil and the sound of the shot is not nearly as loud as it is at the range.
Could it be that the round discharged normally and you just perceived it differently?

boxhitch
11-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Sounds like a good set-up , nothing wrong with road hunting. It can be a good spot for last light , the white road makes a good background and deer travel them lots , always lots of fresh tracks on a road in steep country.
Misfire ? $#it happens.

snareman1234
11-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Who is this Miss Fire?? She single? Obviously not married. Send pics please

brian
11-26-2013, 09:45 AM
probably should have inspected the chamber before you reloaded for another shot. if the bullet was still in the barrel you could have ****ed yourself up

x2

To me it sounds like only your primer ignited... no powder. This is a very dangerous situation to be in if your bullet is still in the bore. Next time this happens to you make sure you pull the bolt and check your bore before chambering a second round.

Ltbullken
11-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Sometimes when you are in the middle of brush and snow, it will change the sound of the rifle from what you might be used to. But IMHO if it ever feels 'off', I say pull the bolt and inspect the bore before taking a second shot.

deadlyshot19
11-26-2013, 10:13 AM
I don't want to insult your intelligence or experience, but I know that when I shoot at game I rarely feel recoil and the sound of the shot is not nearly as loud as it is at the range.
Could it be that the round discharged normally and you just perceived it differently?

Robinhood makes a good point, but like the other guys are saying if you ever have any doubts make sure to check the bore.

rcar
11-26-2013, 11:14 AM
There must have been enough powder to push the bullet out of the barrel so maybe a screw up with the load at the factory and instead of a full charge only a small amount of powder was loaded.

hickman
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Love it! She's probably a hottie with that name ;-)

hickman
11-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Ha Snareman... Love it! She's probably a hottie with that name ;-)

adriaticum
11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Who is this Miss Fire?? She single? Obviously not married. Send pics please

miss doubtfire, is that you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAp8j4c2LGs

Jagermeister
11-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I concur with log_roller, you should have inspected the bore if the shot did not sound right. It could have had catastrophic consequences if there was a bullet lodged in the barrel and another round was fired.
Quite a few people are under the impression that they have to get right on the animal after it has been shot.
The adrenalin rush causes people to want to get on the animal. The animal will be in some stage of shock from the shot, with an adrenalin rush of it's own. With you in hot pursuit, you are going to push the animal and let's face it, it has the capability of easily outdistancing you. So, instead of pursuing the animal, sit down and recollect yourself. You have ample time to get on "track". The idea is to allow the animal to lay down. The longer you wait, the better and the shorter the distance you will have to go to retrieve your critter. The animal will bleed out so why chase it?
I am not saying Jaeger was off and running, the above is merely a suggestion to all the nimrods to consider.

mikeman20
11-26-2013, 01:42 PM
This is part of the reason I load all my own ammo for hunting, I'm 100% sure of every shot

davet
11-26-2013, 03:25 PM
I opened up the chamber took the life round and and removed the bolt and looked down the barrel nothing in the barrel and the shell was empty that I fired at the buck. Did this ever happened to anyone else? I was using factory Remington Corelokt ammo 30-06 160gr.

Sounds like just the primer went off. and it sounds like you did the right thing.

TheProvider
11-26-2013, 03:39 PM
I had this happen once with my muzzleloader. A buddy had given me some powder. I was target practicing. Loaded 2 50gr pellets and sabot. Inserted the primer, lined up and fired at a target that was 100yrds away. Sounded like a .22 going off. I saw the sabot impact the ground at about 30yrds. Figured only the primer and one pellet ignited. Needles to say only used the remainging powder for practicing. Never had another issue

jaeger
11-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advise guys! this aint gonna happen again that is for sure.
cheers jaeger

Moe.JKU
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
I had this happen with 2 rounds in the same box of 180gr corelokt ammo. pulled the trigger but nothing happened. I waited 2 mins after i originally fired it to see if it happened before i pulled the bolt back. The bullet was still whole the firing pin hit and everything. Happened twice in about 6 rounds. I had a box of federals with me and those fired fine all day. Never bought remington bullets again.

CaribooBC
11-27-2013, 12:42 AM
My wife had the same thing when she was shooting at her first deer. I was standing beside her when she shot. It wasn't even as loud as a 22. We assumed that just the primer ignited (no powder). The bullet did clear the barrel. She was shooting Federal ammo. We took that box to the range and shot it off, all the rest fired normally. She also missed her deer, was really pissed!

Darksith
11-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Sounds like just the primer went off. and it sounds like you did the right thing.

primer wont get the bullet outta the barrel, usually primer doesn't even get the bullet out of the casing. I know for a .270 anyway it didnt...was doig bulk reloading late one night and missed a shell when filling powder. Pulled trigger on animal it just went click...no bang, no nothing, but primer went off, bullet didn't leave casing, shook it afterwards and knew what had happened. Lesson learned without any real consequences, but still lucky.

BRrooster
11-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Same same as Darksith, number one son loaded up a batch of 300 WM ammo and forgot powder in one shell. Bullet didnt exit the case. Told him
that one of the things I do for sure with every batch is look in the cases while they are in the block, with a flashlite to make sure I didnt miss any.