PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail rubs

iwing
11-25-2013, 10:07 PM
I found an area with alot of rubs, I have been there for three days and a buck has made new rubs in the night,. I've tried rattling, rubbing, grunting and doe bleating. I move very slowly through the area to cover a bit of ground but mostly i pick area with decent sight lines and sit as it is a 12 year old cut block, between tracts of older firs. Anyone got any whitetail tips to get him to show himself in the daylight. I hung a couple trail cameras today to get a better idea of whats going on. Im planning on leaving the area alone till saturday. The crunchy half there half gone snow does not lend itself well to tracking, but I have found a few trails that deer are using but I haven't even seen a doe in the daylight, yet there are alot of fresh tracks everytime i show up. I think the cool clear nights area screwing me over.

GoatGuy
11-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Chances are you've already been back-doored by him and he'll now be call wise.

The bucks should be moving all day; we harvest and see most of our bucks between 10-2 at this time of year.

Make sure the wind is in your face, find a comfy spot and sit .... all day. Try not to fall asleep or get distracted (ie HBCing when you're supposed to be watching - personal experience).

Don't walk, or still hunt, you'll never see them.

Trail cams will help you figure out the story. If all you're getting is nightime pics you're probably in the wrong spot by a couple hundred or more yards. For bucks the best trails are the transitions between feeding areas or bedding and feeding areas. The bucks always run those same trails and there's usually a few scrapes on those trails as well... so you should be finding scrapes. The does tend to wander too much in feeding areas and as a result so do the bucks which means fewer sightings where it's really thick.

iwing
11-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Three of the rubs have scrapes under them. I think I heard him back door me on Sunday. I was sure I heard snow crunching but just waited and waited and waited, didn't see a thing, would you sit in the older fir or the 12 yr old thick cut. Most of the rubs are at the edge where the cut meets the fir? I haven't found any beds yet in this area but it's a bit late for aimless cruising looking for beds. What do whitetails typically bed in? Thanks again

Buckmeister
11-26-2013, 12:25 AM
What do whitetails typically bed in? Thanks again

It varies depending on terrain. A few years ago I rattled two bucks out of their beds at mid day. They were in a sloping older growth with good visability and very little undergrowth and blow down, while I was standing in selectively logged out area. A white tail book I read stated the big bucks will often also chose the thickest ugliest stuff to bed down in, like a thicket where you would have to get on your hands and knees to crawl into. I once explored a peninsula on the river valley bottom with some extreme buck brush. I had to lean forward and use a great amount of strength to pass through the stuff, but once in the heart of it I found numerous very well used beds, it kinda blew my mind at first but it was a terrific find.

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Three of the rubs have scrapes under them. I think I heard him back door me on Sunday. I was sure I heard snow crunching but just waited and waited and waited, didn't see a thing, would you sit in the older fir or the 12 yr old thick cut. Most of the rubs are at the edge where the cut meets the fir? I haven't found any beds yet in this area but it's a bit late for aimless cruising looking for beds. What do whitetails typically bed in? Thanks again

Probably in the fir as it's likely a travel route. The cut is probably more of a feeding area. Depends if there's any veg in the regen.

Bedding areas vary depending on the location. Sometimes it's the thick stuff, sometimes the plateaus on fir ridges, depends on the area. Need to put the miles in, maybe best to leave until after the season is over.

Sounds like you've found the spot, let the cameras do the work, start to figure out the pattern and you'll have things dialed for many years to come.

iwing
11-26-2013, 03:25 PM
What do you guys find whiteys prefer when it comes to slopes? I usually see them in areas surrounded by inclines but they are almost always at the flattest point. I will put all my hunting time into this one spot now, maybe only 1-2 days left, but I will expore it hard once some snow hits and map it out for next year. If I can't make a play this year I guess he'll be bigger next year! Thanks for all the advice

hare_assassin
11-26-2013, 03:45 PM
The spot I've been working sounds similar, except I was able to find a nice bed the other day, not far from where there were a few scrapes. Frustrating not to see them since there is just ridiculous amounts of sign and obvious main travel routes.

I also suspect I was back-doored by a sly SOB 2 Saturdays ago while I was working the rattle. I heard the footsteps in the snow about 40 or so yards into the thick stuff, and they were definitely headed from my right side over up the ridge behind me. Then I heard the steps wander off somewhere else.

Then last Saturday I decided to head out earlier and try to get there before they started heading from the fields through the draws up into the thicker stuff. I was walking along the trail in the dark, about 200 meters from where I planned to set up and I bumped at least two of them that were only yards off the side of the trail. Didn't see them, but sure heard them. Don't even know for sure they were WTs, actually. :(

So much to learn about these buggers.

This Saturday I am going an hour earlier...

Islandeer
11-26-2013, 03:49 PM
To add, sit deeper in the timber, near but not on some good trails,mind the wind and pray!!

fozzy
11-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Try hanging some Doe scent up wind of where you sit and see if that helps... I've had good success doing that in the past. Make yourself up a blind, sit and wait.

hare_assassin
11-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Yep, I had the doe scent on wicks going on a couple branches in a clearing, some "earth" cover scent (and inadvertent doe piss) on myself, too.

Just couldn't sit there past about 11am before getting too cold and stir-crazy.

Sound familiar, iwing?

hotload
11-26-2013, 04:21 PM
You mention you have used, doe scent wicks, rattling, rubbing, grunting, moving slowly, hanging trail cameras in probably not too large an area. Just my 2 cents but, if you haven't been doing things absolutely properly, sir you been busted and they go bye bye. Scent is everything, "EVERYTHING". If you entered their domain, remember they live there, they know everything about it, including,their bleats,rubs, grunts, and when your moving around sounding like a human,remember your 2 feet sound totally different in the snow than their 4 feet, and if you left scent on your scent wicks, rubs, trail cameras, or moved with the wind wrong or swirling, well, not looking good especially if there is mature bucks there. I think a best option at this point would be as mentioned, find a vantage point with the wind in your favor and park it............................................

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 05:05 PM
If you aren't going to sit, you aren't going to kill.... but you are going to educate.

358mag
11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
If you aren't going to sit, you aren't going to kill.... but you are going to educate.
Just Fisher-Dude doesn't read the rule book .:wink:

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Just Fisher-Dude doesn't read the rule book .:wink:

Hey, if you take enough holidays and burn enough gas, eventually you'll run into a white-tail who's willingness to live is at an all-time low.

358mag
11-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Hey, if you take enough holidays and burn enough gas, eventually you'll run into a white-tail who's willingness to live is at an all-time low.

So that's what I get to look forward to in the up coming years :mrgreen:

J_T
11-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Chances are you've already been back-doored by him and he'll now be call wise.

The bucks should be moving all day; we harvest and see most of our bucks between 10-2 at this time of year.

Make sure the wind is in your face, find a comfy spot and sit .... all day. Try not to fall asleep or get distracted (ie HBCing when you're supposed to be watching - personal experience).

Don't walk, or still hunt, you'll never see them.

Trail cams will help you figure out the story. If all you're getting is nightime pics you're probably in the wrong spot by a couple hundred or more yards. For bucks the best trails are the transitions between feeding areas or bedding and feeding areas. The bucks always run those same trails and there's usually a few scrapes on those trails as well... so you should be finding scrapes. The does tend to wander too much in feeding areas and as a result so do the bucks which means fewer sightings where it's really thick.

I can't believe you didn't suggest a treestand. Better yet offer him that ugly self climber of yours.... :)

@iWing, this guy is right. If you want to kill him, sit down. Preferably up, in a treestand. Quietly, without movement. Patience. Throw away the scents, calls and gimicks. Just sit.

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 06:08 PM
So that's what I get to look forward to in the up coming years :mrgreen:
Pretty bleak, isn't it?

With all the golfing you've been doing I'm becoming extremely concerned for your well being. It was nice to hear you tripped the trigger the other day. I think ourarealtreat is gonna to wait on the pics and story for the new year.... (2016):)

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 06:13 PM
I can't believe you didn't suggest a treestand. Better yet offer him that ugly self climber of yours.... :)

@iWing, this guy is right. If you want to kill him, sit down. Preferably up, in a treestand. Quietly, without movement. Patience. Throw away the scents, calls and gimicks. Just sit.

He's more than welcome to borrow a treestand. Only sat in one three times this year.

Oddly enough we killed 2 bucks from the same ground blind last week. Total sitting time was 15 minutes for the first and just under 2 hours for the second. Ourea had the great idea to use a heater (major brain fart not using one), so we got a little buddy and it's a game changer.

Only thing missing were the margaritas.

iwing
11-26-2013, 07:22 PM
I plan on building a tree stand in the off season but it's too late for that now. I will go in and just do some sitting the next chance I get, which may be tomorrow morning. Gotta ok that with the wife though. Two pairs of socks and a hot cup of tea I guess

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I plan on building a tree stand in the off season but it's too late for that now. I will go in and just do some sitting the next chance I get, which may be tomorrow morning. Gotta ok that with the wife though. Two pairs of socks and a hot cup of tea I guess

go to crappy tire and pick up some of those toe warmers and foot warmers. Critical component.

boxhitch
11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
So how to set up the blind in an area where the thermals change mid morning ?
Found a good spot to watch over , wind from behind running down through a block with lots of sign , good when calling to have visibility on the downwind side.
but then about 10 the sun gets on it enough the currents run up hill.
Maybe best to not show up before 10 ?

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Found a good spot to watch over , wind from behind running down through a block with lots of sign , good when calling to have visibility on the downwind side.

Yeah, or sit on the bottom side where they don't enter if that works. Majority of the buck harvests/sightings for us is 10-2 this time of year.

Couple spots where the wind usually blows across the slope due to a gulley or change in terrain. Also north facing stuff in the timber can be good as it often won't warm up enough to have the shift in the timber.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Same in the area I've been hunting. Wind likes to swap ends throughout the day.

SSS

358mag
11-26-2013, 08:02 PM
go to crappy tire and pick up some of those toe warmers and foot warmers. Critical component.

a little buddy heater with a few extra 1 lb propane tanks , don't forget a piss jug

Sitkaspruce
11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
He's more than welcome to borrow a treestand. Only sat in one three times this year.

Oddly enough we killed 2 bucks from the same ground blind last week. Total sitting time was 15 minutes for the first and just under 2 hours for the second. Ourea had the great idea to use a heater (major brain fart not using one), so we got a little buddy and it's a game changer.

Only thing missing were the margaritas.

Ditto on the little buddy, saved my butt a couple times this year. Not much fun sitting in -18 without a little heat......

I went to a ground blind this year as hunting WT is something new to me, especially the sitting and waiting. I used cameras as scouting tools, scouted my butt off learning the area, set up a couple blinds in a couple areas where I was seeing big bucks, one for each prevailing wind (NE or SW), so I had a choice depending on wind and learned to sit.....sit still and be patient, that was the hardest part for me as I am a still hunter and love to sneak through the bush. I did very little calling, a little light rattling and the odd can call as I did not want to be back doored. Over the month of November, I saw 6 deer, 3 bucks and 3 does, will tell the rest of the story later....

There is some good info here in the previous posts, the best thing I can say is learn patience and sit still.

Cheers

SS

coach
11-26-2013, 08:13 PM
a little buddy heater with a few extra 1 lb propane tanks , don't forget a piss jug

Im kinda looking forward to the drywall heater and the 20lb propane bottle.. :-D

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
and don't forget a piss jug

Got to move up to a 4L as I almost filled a 2L on sunday:?...and I didn't drink anything once I hit the blind.

SSS

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Ditto on the little buddy, saved my butt a couple times this year. Not much fun sitting in -18 without a little heat......

I went to a ground blind this year as hunting WT is something new to me, especially the sitting and waiting. I used cameras as scouting tools, scouted my butt off learning the area, set up a couple blinds in a couple areas where I was seeing big bucks, one for each prevailing wind (NE or SW), so I had a choice depending on wind and learned to sit.....sit still and be patient, that was the hardest part for me as I am a still hunter and love to sneak through the bush. I did very little calling, a little light rattling and the odd can call as I did not want to be back doored. Over the month of November, I saw 6 deer, 3 bucks and 3 does, will tell the rest of the story later....

There is some good info here in the previous posts, the best thing I can say is learn patience and sit still.

Cheers

SS

The biggest part we've learned is with calling from our regular spots. If you call deer, they will figure out what's happening - they will seek the backdoor or avoid the spot all together. It isn't such a problem with the bucks are they are more solitary, stupid in the rut and usually get zapped. The problem is if you have a spot and call does in or call at them you will train them to avoid that spot. Does also stick in maternal groups so avoiding areas becomes a learned behaviour.

We have a spot that produced phenomenal results for calling but over the years it was less effective and it has gotten to the point where the does have started avoiding those shooting lanes and cross below the hill. When they do cross in front they stare right at the blind and are nervous. If alone the bucks still cruise through, but if you have a hot doe go through out of sight, so will he.

It probably took 5 or 6 years of calling and shooting deer out of the spot for the does to figure it out, but now a lot of the traffic has been diverted.

358mag
11-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Im kinda looking forward to the drywall heater and the 20lb propane bottle.. :-D

O yes go Big or go home

GoatGuy
11-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Crib board, cards, egg crate, stove for cooking, thermos, thermarest if you need a nap, ear plugs to minimize the gunshot alarm, and don't forget the copenhagen and a spit cup if you're with buttshot.

iwing
11-26-2013, 08:48 PM
How much calling do you do? I use a short can, k'meer deer and a grunt tube. I usually give one or two can bleats and a grunt or two, then wait about 30 mins before i do it again. is that too much? I usually dont use the k'meer deer unless im trying to get them to stop running, its seems to work good for that.

358mag
11-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Crib board, cards, egg crate, stove for cooking, thermos, thermarest if you need a nap, ear plugs to minimize the gunshot alarm, and don't forget the copenhagen and a spit cup if you're with buttshot.

Sounds like your going on a northern sheep hunt , and don't forgot the 4 boxes of extra ammo for buttshot .

hare_assassin
11-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I knew a guy back in Ontario who would knit in his stand. I shit you not. The colder he got, the faster he would knit.

boxhitch
11-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Only thing missing were the margaritas.How big is your blind ! I have a 18 ft. white parachute that might work

358mag
11-26-2013, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=boxhitch;1422406]How big is your blind ! I have a 18 ft. white parachute that might work[/QUOT
Its as big as there hanger @ YLW

Sitkaspruce
11-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I read a book and have learned to turn pages real slow.....also have an Ipod touch for a few games until the batteries die....need to get an electronic device that has a long battery life and does not take up any space. Knitting is out of my knowledge base of things to do and don't want to learn right now, but a great way to pass the time, at least that's what my grandmother would say.......

Would the blower heater not make a bunch of noise....:mrgreen::tongue: and packing in the 20lbs would be a PITA I would think......:wink:

Cheers

SS

358mag
11-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I read a book and have learned to turn pages real slow.....also have an Ipod touch for a few games until the batteries die....need to get an electronic device that has a long battery life and does not take up any space. Knitting is out of my knowledge base of things to do and don't want to learn right now, but a great way to pass the time, at least that's what my grandmother would say.......

Would the blower heater not make a bunch of noise....:mrgreen::tongue: and packing in the 20lbs would be a PITA I would think......:wink:

Cheers

SS
I use a Coleman Black Cat portable heater with 1 lb tanks get about 6-8hrs per tank on med setting keeps you nice and warm and is a deadly quiet package . If you get sleepy drink a few Red Bull !!!!

redhunter
11-26-2013, 09:50 PM
What are you guys using for ground blinds? I pack everything in now when I hunt but haven't added a blind to my list yet mainly due to the "weight and space" factor. It all has to be packed in and hopefully more out.

hare_assassin
11-26-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm thinking about getting this one. The guy who reviewed it seems to really like it...

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/hunting-accessories/blinds/superlight-portable-ground-blind/prod256530.html

iwing
11-26-2013, 10:27 PM
I just sit between a couple deadfall trees.

358mag
11-26-2013, 10:28 PM
What are you guys using for ground blinds? I pack everything in now when I hunt but haven't added a blind to my list yet mainly due to the "weight and space" factor. It all has to be packed in and hopefully more out.

Ameristep Doghouse 14lbs packs down nice and roomy inside

hare_assassin
11-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I've done this a few times, but there isn't always a deadfall where you need one...

hare_assassin
11-26-2013, 10:35 PM

I'm looking at the Outhouse too... 7.5 pounds... Any experience with it?

Muliechaser
11-27-2013, 05:53 AM

Thats not true! Ive killed many decent whitetail still hunting And walking , but to the OP . AS goat guy said sit and you will see alot of action whiteys are cagey and that will be your absolute best bet

Mc

boxhitch
11-27-2013, 06:16 AM
I just sit between a couple deadfall trees.Shopping for warm gear ? Crappy Tire has insulated gear and hand warmers on sale this week. Good marketing on their part , good timing

Sitkaspruce
11-27-2013, 08:13 AM

I use an Ameristep Backstrap blind and a Grounder 250. The Backstrap is OK, a little small for me and all my stuff, but it works well. The 250 is much bigger and has a lot more room. What ever you do, and I only learned this the hard way...practice using it in your backyard, get the chair set up to shoot out of, practice with the weapon of choice and see what windows work best for you. I took the shoot through windows off (noisey with the velcro and shooting mechanicals through it is not recomended) and when I put up the wondows, I put black garbage bags on the outside so the deer got used to the black holes on the blind, which is what they see when you open the windows and sit inside.

Also, set it up as soon as you can so they get used to it before you hunt out of it.

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
11-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Thats not true! Ive killed many decent whitetail still hunting And walking , but to the OP . AS goat guy said sit and you will see alot of action whiteys are cagey and that will be your absolute best bet

Mc

It's true you CAN kill white-tails walking, road hunting, still hunting, and running, BUT your chances of seeing and being able to shoot bucks and mature bucks consistently is extremely low as compared to sitting.

GoatGuy
11-27-2013, 08:51 AM
How big is your blind ! I have a 18 ft. white parachute that might work

Some are big, some are small. The hut is 64 sq ft

Stone Sheep Steve
11-27-2013, 09:27 AM

That's what I've got as well. Also have a snow camo cover for another $50. It's a little too tight for archery even after staking out the ends to form a diamond shape....as I found out last year. I bumped the edge of the blind and the deer were gone in a blink of an eye. They don't look to see what made the noise until there far away.

I use a coleman catalytic heater that uses white gas. A full tank lasts over 11 hrs.

SSS

knighthunter
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I used to hunt out of a blind lots, at times I would have more that 10 deer feeding out in front of me at under 100 yards. But, my set up was in farm land. My hunting blind was right on the edge of the bush line or just inside. After trying different heater's I settled on a 2 burner camp stove with the 1 lb propane bottles. Set on low it was plenty warm enough and never made a sound. Being I was on private property, was the only hunter there, I had my blind set up for up to 2 month's at a time unless I was I was moving it around. With an abundance of deer, I was always particular what I shot.

boxhitch
11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
extremely low as compared to sitting over a food sourcefixed it...

iwing
11-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Check the cam today, had a big 4 x 4 with brows cruise by at 11 pm. No action until 830 this morning, i made a scrape and a rub and then immediately had a doe come in for a look, she turned around and left the way she came in, not spooked, but she was on the trail I thought they would be using. I sat until 1130 didnt see anything else. Found a couple more fresh rubs and a scrape that has a bent and broken "licking" branch above it, which i read means its a main scrape. The buck on the cam has a huge neck and was nose to the ground in one of the pics. Got tomorrow off too so im going back to the same spot, I havent found any beds yet but im curious about where they would be bedding. i think hes only moving at night. What would the experts do to find this guy?

iwing
11-27-2013, 08:43 PM
http://s888.photobucket.com/user/Wingisaac/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa0959ab9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
scrape
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/Wingisaac/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb0629a9a.jpg
Licking branch

iwing
11-27-2013, 08:45 PM
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/Wingisaac/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd56f9fac.jpg
New rub

This following buck activity is just too fun, the only way it could be better was if there was about a foot of snow