PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Yukon gear - yay or nay?

Ruger.270
11-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Figured I'd wait till later in the season when anyone who purchased this new raingear would have had a good chance to test it out.

So what's the consensus - worth the price or not? If a guy is looking for top end rain gear is this the ticket?

waterproofness?
breathability?

how about quietness - I realize this isn't going to be polar fleece quiet, but could you timber hunt with this stuff and not spook everything within 50 yards (i.e. that branch slapping on Gore-Tex sound makes me cringe)??

Anything else good or bad to know?

Also, anyone tried the Yukon waterproof gloves - if so thoughts?

(I've had a couple of hunts ruined by freezing wet hands in the last two years... the liner in any waterproof glove I've tried acts like an icy cold sponge when its 1 degree and pouring rain - conveniently the best blacktail hunting weather on the island)

thanx,

(I'm considering buying system pending what others says for next year)

Ferenc
11-25-2013, 12:33 PM
For the best waterproof gloves....Klim..powercross glove...you want dry warm hands..goretex..its is guaranteed and Does keep em dry!!!!!!....try em you will like em !!!

Stresd
11-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I opted for the Yukon pants and Chugah jacket. Excellent gear that served me well on a Recent, 2 week pack in sheep hunt, My Kuiu gear performed admirably. Including the 7200 pack. Other guys I were with, were constantly removing or adding clothing depending on the weather, and/or how much work they were doing. They commented that I never seemed to change what I had on so must be nice gear that kept me that comfortable. Breathed well on the long hard climbs yet keep me snug and dry on the windiest, wettest days. Great for sheep/goat hunting. Not all that noisy, but for Deer/Moose I will still be wearing just my wools unless it is really miserable out.

The Hermit
11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Take a close look at First Lite's rain gear. I have both Kuiu and the First Lite... They are both top drawer but FL gets the edge for being a little tougher.

Singleshotneeded
11-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Take a close look at First Lite's rain gear. I have both Kuiu and the First Lite... They are both top drawer but FL gets the edge for being a little tougher.
X2 on that opinion...Black Friday is almost here...Amazon.com...

NovemberBravo
11-25-2013, 06:27 PM
I haven't tried the jacket or pants but the gloves keep me bone dry. The only problem is that you need to buy another liner glove with them. I got their merino gloves and they don't really cut it for cold weather unless you have a pair of handwarmers in them and even then my hands were kind of cold while hiking, this was in probably -5/-10C°

Ruger.270
11-25-2013, 08:54 PM
@ NovemberBravo - regarding the gloves - how are they for thickness/dexterity - could you shoot with them alone on? could you shoot with them + a liner glove on?

Intended operation is island blacktail hunting so it's more about keeping the water off to stay dry then the cold temps.

@ stresd - any particular reason for choosing the Chugach jacket over the Yukon?

WKCotts
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Anything Kuiu is top notch and so is their customer service. Take a look at my thread from a few months ago.

rred
11-25-2013, 10:38 PM
I bought the Yukon set this last year and it was awesome.

yama49
11-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Bought yukon gloves pants jacket, awesome gear... well worth the money

BiG Boar
11-26-2013, 07:17 AM
been in kuiu for over 100 days so far in the field. Best stuff I have seen out there. I finally ripped my pants on a stick the other day. But that took a lot of abuse to do.

Ruger.270
11-26-2013, 05:31 PM
thanx for the feedback - keep it coming - looking for specific comments on noise/breathability in the Yukon jacket and pants and dexterity/waterproofness in the Yukon gloves

quaint bucket
11-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Who's carrying Kuiu?

Stresd
11-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Who's carrying Kuiu?

A virtual store front. Online/phone purchase only.
https://store.kuiu.com/

Ruger.270
11-28-2013, 08:54 AM
For reference the other gear types I've been pondering purchasing in comparison to the Kuiu Yukon are the browning hydrofleece or Sitka downpour - both appear to be breathable waterproof systems that have less noise then the typical raingear.

killer_shot
11-28-2013, 09:12 AM
I dont have the Yukon gear but i have the chugach and im pretty sure its same breathability being toray and i can say that its very breathable. Matter of fact Id day that its much more breathable than my 3L $650 gore-tex proshell winter jacket i use for sledding. So for the price its a steal just wish you could try it on before you buy it. Highly recommend getting a jacket WAY to big as i wish mine was bigger and i even here of guys gettting 3xl and it going over their pack.
Not to mention its made in vancouver, bonus.

11-28-2013, 12:39 PM
It used to be made in Vancouver, now made in China.

.300WSMImpact!
11-28-2013, 09:18 PM
love my kuiu gear, I just bought the super down jacket with my christmas money, cant wait to get it

goinghunting
11-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Ive got the yukon pants and they are awesome! Well worrh the money more durable and breathable then the chugach and a bunch of pockets make them real handy. There surprisingly quite for rain gear.

I like them so much that the glives are on order and im asking for the jacket for xmas!

Kuiu.is top notch mtn gear!

Ruger.270
11-28-2013, 09:59 PM
@ goinghunting - how would you describe the fabric as far as noise - quiet enough for timber hunting when there is branches slipping over your gear? I would want to be able to use it on the coast for bush bashing in the rain.

I have cabelas rain suede stuff right now and can't stand the noise of it unless its absolutely pouring out

- does the fabric have any kind of a brushed face or is it the total hard shell?

goinghunting
11-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Its not.a soft shell rain gear but its not the super hard noisy shell either. It does have a bit of a brushed exterior feel. I've even been wearing pants in my treestand for whitetails just because it keeps me dry and they've been quiet enough for that.

I've never seen raingear that actually keeps you dry thats any quieter

Superdeuce
01-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Here is a recent review on rain gear from Outdoor Life.. usually some bias in these articles, but interesting review nonetheless.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2013/10/gear-test-best-hunting-raingear

For the money, and actual availability to buy, I picked up the Kryptek Koldo instead of the Yukon for my brush busting bomber set. Very similar spec to the Yukon and I personally prefer the highlander camo and solid grey options. Was unsure of sizing so ordered an XL and a L so might be putting one of them up here later.

bruin
01-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Nay on the raingear, yay on the Guide pants and base layers. Guide jacket is great as long as you're not backpacking.

.300WSMImpact!
01-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Nay on the raingear, yay on the Guide pants and base layers. Guide jacket is great as long as you're not backpacking.

what the problem with the jacket while backpacking?

BlacktailStalker
01-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Never worn a hunting intended jacket that could handle the weight of a pack and stay waterproof, tried em all. Everything (material) is somewhat porous I don't see how anything will be 100% all the time unless it is rubber. Then the sweat gets you.
Ratings are on lbs per square inch and anything over 16lbs per sq inch seems to be where the "waterproof" rating disappears.

Ruger.270
01-03-2014, 07:47 PM
why specifically do you say nay on the raingear?

bruin
01-03-2014, 11:13 PM
what the problem with the jacket while backpacking?

The guide jacket is really comfortable and great for day hunting but I find it bulky for multiday backpacking compared to a down jacket that gives much greater insulation value.

bruin
01-03-2014, 11:16 PM
I use my raingear as a wind breaking layer and I found it doesn't break the wind as well as gore-tex and I had issues with dampness inside, whether that was from not breathing sufficiently or soaking through I'm not sure.

Ruger.270
01-04-2014, 11:46 AM
I use my raingear as a wind breaking layer and I found it doesn't break the wind as well as gore-tex and I had issues with dampness inside, whether that was from not breathing sufficiently or soaking through I'm not sure.

thanx bruin - what type of hunting were you using the Yukon gear for?

also if you don't mind - how would you rate the noise factor of this gear - if I do get it, I would want to use it in coastal timber hunts so if it makes a lot of loud noise when branches rub on it then it would be useless to me

thx

.300WSMImpact!
01-05-2014, 08:03 PM
The guide jacket is really comfortable and great for day hunting but I find it bulky for multiday backpacking compared to a down jacket that gives much greater insulation value.

I have the super down jacket, it doesn't seem like it breaths very well, anyone else have one? how does it compare to other down jackets? I have only wore mine around town not hiking or anything. Thanks for the information bruin!!